AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Mahouka

Notices

Old 2014-04-28, 17:49   Link #1741
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Btw is there a reason Erika doesn't have that silk part on her uniform or did I just miss that Mizuki is actually in course 1?
Nope, Mizuki is a course 2 student. Don't know about the uniform though, it also doesn't seem consistent in the colour coding of the silk. Perhaps it is customisable and Erika prefers without, which would be kind of befitting her.
Old 2014-04-28, 17:51   Link #1742
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
Nope, Mizuki is a course 2 student. Don't know about the uniform though, it also doesn't seem consistent in the colour coding of the silk. Perhaps it is customisable and Erika prefers without, which would be kind of befitting her.
I think the design is related to their field of magic.
We saw Miyuki randomly freezing stuff around her and her dress depics something looking like frozen flowers.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-28, 17:54   Link #1743
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
I think the design is related to their field of magic.
We saw Miyuki randomly freezing stuff around her and her dress depics something looking like frozen flowers.
Shizuku, Honoka's friend to her right in that picture also has those. Doubt she has the same ability as Miyuki.
Old 2014-04-28, 17:58   Link #1744
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I think Mahouka is popular and getting a lot of discussion here on Anime Suki because...

1. It has an interesting sci-fi setting and it's fleshing it out/developing it pretty well. This alone doesn't come along every day in anime, in my view.

2. The character designs are largely excellent. I love how the female uniform has multiple versions to it.

3. The male lead is well above average. He's very well-written. A story's lead character is kind of like a pro sports team's top player - If you have that much right by having a good core guy/gal to build around, it makes everything else that much better.

4. It's based on a popular source material.
Old 2014-04-28, 18:33   Link #1745
kagato3

Quote:
Btw is there a reason Erika doesn't have that silk part on her uniform or did I just miss that Mizuki is actually in course 1?
She is a bit of a tomboy and thinks it will get in the way? Going by the comments she made about the kendo club and it is clear she studies sword combat mostly I would say it is because it would be a hindrance in a fight.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-28, 18:36   Link #1746
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujin of shadows View Post
I think the silk-veil thing depends on the preference of the student...More like a fashion statement
Given her close combat preferences, the silk veil would be tantamount to suicide for her. Anyone who wanted to defeat her could do it rather easily if it got in reach. Grab that veil and give it a big ol' yank.

I never actually noticed that she didn't have one before. At least, I never consciously made mention of it.
Old 2014-04-28, 21:00   Link #1747
The Green One

True, but the students shouldn't realistically be expecting to get into actual life/death fights in their school uniforms should they? From a logical stand point.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-28, 21:12   Link #1748
BW95
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
True, but the students shouldn't realistically be expecting to get into actual life/death fights in their school uniforms should they? From a logical stand point.
Well, the world is in a Cold War state and unable to truly settle down with game changers like magic.
BW95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-28, 21:15   Link #1749
The Green One

Even still 99% of the student body do not pick out a school uniform design thinking, "Hmmm am I going to get into a fight to the death in the next 12 months for some reason?" It's just not normal to think that way.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-28, 21:29   Link #1750
IceHism

Quote:
Even still 99% of the student body do not pick out a school uniform design thinking, "Hmmm am I going to get into a fight to the death in the next 12 months for some reason?" It's just not normal to think that way.

There is an easy solution to this: Erika is that 1%.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-28, 21:44   Link #1751
Nvis
Where are the good animes

OP and ED were skipped this week, that's rare.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-28, 22:32   Link #1752
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Depends on why you're at this school. Erika isn't obviously there to stick her nose in some books and become a top-notch engineer. Heck, the opening of the show has Erika kicking someone's ass in combat. It goes without saying that magicians are used in combat in this world.

Plus, in four episodes there have been two life-threatening fights and one arena battle (in an arena specifically made for people to duel and use combat magic).

Given Erika's priorities, I wouldn't call her normal by any means. So really, it's not that surprising that she opted out of having the cape.
Old 2014-04-28, 23:17   Link #1753
kyuudere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
OP and ED were skipped this week, that's rare.
Maybe in the next episodes we will see this more frequently...since there are a lot of info and details that have to be animated.
kyuudere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-29, 04:24   Link #1754
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujin of shadows View Post
Let's put it this way, Mahouka, as of now, is as good as SAO's anime adaptation and better than Tokyo Ravens....

You guys can talk shit about Sword Art Online as much as you want but it does not change the fact that it is an acceptable light novel to anime adaptation....same goes for Tokyo Ravens, but eight volumes to a 20+ episode was a bit much
Please don't say that, comparing Mahouka to SAO makes me want to drop it

My take is, it's decent, considering it's a LN and has some redeeming qualities and hinted plot to make up for its weak parts. It's not quite up there with the couple of very good LN adaptions, but it's not horrid like SAO either (yet. I say this with caution xD)

On why it's popular, well, it has all the ingredients to attract the typical moneymaking audience and it may be able to keep others interested because of its decent plot. Not groundbreaking, but entertaining enough.
Old 2014-04-29, 05:47   Link #1755
IceHism

Ehh. SAO's first arc was really good in the anime and the novel. The problem is that fairy dance was a terrible arc in both the novel and the anime so adopting that arc would lead to a train wreck no matter how they tried to do it.

At least in Mahouka, the arcs only keep getting better. The plot gets deeper and more complicated. The events that happen are interesting so it should turn out way better than a lot of adaptions depending on how they adopt the second and third arc. If they make up the deficiencies in the first arc, then that will redeem it and it'll be all good
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-29, 07:08   Link #1756
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Given her close combat preferences, the silk veil would be tantamount to suicide for her. Anyone who wanted to defeat her could do it rather easily if it got in reach. Grab that veil and give it a big ol' yank.
So's the long skirt though. You can't even get proper running done with those, much less good footwork in fights.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-29, 07:27   Link #1757
Ickarium

Erika's a tomboy. It's more likely just 'I don't like skirts, have to wear one for the uniform but they let me skip the frilly thing, good.'
Old 2014-04-29, 11:27   Link #1758
LKK

I'm not sure when this went live, but the English-language web site has an officially subbed version of the first chibi short, What is Magic High School?, hosted by Tatsuya and Miyuki. Presumably all the shorts will eventually be uploaded as well. Web page link

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-29, 12:00   Link #1759
Ickarium

Hilarious chibi thing. Unfortunate phrasing there, however, on magical training. The anime itself shows them training in magic, just without any teachers around.
Old 2014-04-29, 13:10   Link #1760
Ultragunner

also, for those who don't have a clue about the terminologies that have been mentioned so far (Psion, CAD...etc....), hope this can help: http://mahouka.us/keyword/

Tags
action, futuristic setting, hard fantasy, mahouka, scientific magic, supernatural