AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Old 2007-12-18, 03:35   Link #161
Robotnik
Not a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
Kinokuniya bookstores are usually in Japantowns or near high populations of Japanese people or near a Japanese supermarket. So, they cater to mostly native speakers and usually most of their manga is in Japanese. Most bookstores in the US like Barnes and Noble as well as Borders carriy quite a number of tankoubon. If you want Shounen Jump though, Kinokuniya is your best bet.
Their New York store has a sizable English manga and Anime DVD section, or they did last time I was there. Their web site "search by ISBN" does turn up English manga, so they do carry it. Be warned, it's all going to be full-price (and usually shrinkwrapped so you can't browse), although that came out to $7-10 for raw manga.
Robotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-18, 03:49   Link #162
Mistacloudstrife
"I'll cut them off..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
Kinokuniya bookstores are usually in Japantowns or near high populations of Japanese people or near a Japanese supermarket. So, they cater to mostly native speakers and usually most of their manga is in Japanese. Most bookstores in the US like Barnes and Noble as well as Borders carriy quite a number of tankoubon. If you want Shounen Jump though, Kinokuniya is your best bet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotnik View Post
Their New York store has a sizable English manga and Anime DVD section, or they did last time I was there. Their web site "search by ISBN" does turn up English manga, so they do carry it. Be warned, it's all going to be full-price (and usually shrinkwrapped so you can't browse), although that came out to $7-10 for raw manga.

The Kinokuniya Bookstore in Seattle also has a decent amount of English manga and DVDs. And other things such as imported soundtracks, magazines, TShirts, Calendars etc etc are easy to find and buy there as well. And I don't know about other stores but the people that work there have no problem helping english speaking people... I bought a few sets of Japanese manga there not too long ago. Oh and the Final Fantasy VII Ultimania Omega as well. I don't really go there for English manga even though they do sell them though. I prefer something like Border, B&N, or Waldenbooks... or maybe Suncoast and Sam Goody if they've got what I want.
Old 2007-12-22, 00:04   Link #163
Levon
Unregistered User

Question

Anyone know where I can get the Berserk manga cheaper than $9.77 each?
www.comicsnow.com is the cheapest I'v found with that price but they only have up to volume 17. I'd like volume 12-20.
Also I only use Paypal.
I'll keep trying sites you guys post to see if I can find them cheaper. Thanks
Levon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 02:03   Link #164
Mistacloudstrife
"I'll cut them off..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levon View Post
Anyone know where I can get the Berserk manga cheaper than $9.77 each?
www.comicsnow.com is the cheapest I'v found with that price but they only have up to volume 17. I'd like volume 12-20.
Also I only use Paypal.
I'll keep trying sites you guys post to see if I can find them cheaper. Thanks

Try here.

http://www.a1books.com/

The mangas range in price but alot of them are decently cheap.
Old 2007-12-22, 13:57   Link #165
Levon
Unregistered User

That site has great prices so I was very excited at first, however they charge $3.99 per item for shipping which ends up making the manga at or very near retail price. Guess I'll stick with Comicsnow.com, they have really cheap shipping.
Old 2007-12-22, 16:28   Link #166
Mistacloudstrife
"I'll cut them off..."

They don't combine shipping on orders at all? Well, that sure sucks.
Old 2007-12-22, 21:24   Link #167
Levon
Unregistered User

Indeed, very lame. Thats overpriced shipping, if it was like $3.99 + $1.00 per extra item then it would be good.

Oh well, I just bought 6 Berserk manga at Comicsnow for $58 with just $6.50 shipping.
Only thing that sucks about Comicsnow is the site is a pain to browse & search.
Old 2007-12-27, 06:57   Link #168
Keahi19

I just go to the bookstore down the street. They have a good selection for being a chain. At least a decent one. That or the PX. The army guys here loves their manga and they keep it stocked at the PX here.
Keahi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 02:58   Link #169
KANYA OISHI
GLAY TERU

What about Toy Japan.com?

I sometimes buy Japanese manga in this site with some japanese toys.
http://www.e-toyjapan.com/
KANYA OISHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-04, 15:59   Link #170
MOWiCK

Do you know any COD online store?
MOWiCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 15:45   Link #171
YaGaMi
The Conqueror

Anyone know the best place for all of the Slam Dunk Manga in English? I'm in the UK so they would have to be able to ship to down here.
YaGaMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 16:19   Link #172
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

People in the UK Can get Mangas from Waterstones (bookshop)

I think its UK only though.

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 18:11   Link #173
Hagi

Anyone know where i can get the Baccano! light novels? with shipment to UK.
Hagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 12:23   Link #174
chison
GSNMaSter
*Artist

HELLO,
i am in (UK/Sheffiled) and looking forward to buy books deliver from japan "the first time" ,at "amazon" of some orgianal book in japan without any tranlation(raw-manga/book)
a few manga first VOL and some research book...(MX0/HOLIC/zetsubou/tsubasa/paniponi/kimono etc)

i what to test how the service work.
because i kindy feel troublesome to buy one book everytime....and is seems to be cheaper when you buy more than £20,i was thinking for buying around £40 of book on it....

i just want to hear someone who'd use amazon to give me some advise,and is amazon safe to use?or do their add hiding cost ?

do you think more than £30 is not a good idea for a test!??!

thankyou ^^awaiting for help
chison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 13:13   Link #175
xris
Just call me Ojisan

I've never purchased anything from Amazon.co.jp so can't really help in this area. Most of my Amazon purchases have been from Amazon.co.uk which I have had no problems with at all. I purchase a lot of stuff from them, the translated manga is rather cheap and they offer free postage with orders over £15.

One point I would like to make concerning purchases from overseas and that is Import Duty / VAT. If the item is over £18 then you may get charged with Import Duty / VAT and this usually comes to over £10 (can't remember the exact cost since it's something like 20% + £6 handling charge). Yes, they charge you a handling fee of £6 or so for the privilege of extracting money out of you!

When I purchase DVDs from the States, I only order one at a time because that way it is under the £18 limit and therefore I do not have to pay any Import Duty. While you don't get hit with the Import Duty every time, I suspect the larger the order, the more chance that it will be stopped by Customs and the charge added. In addition to the addition cost, Customs also delay the delivery by about 7 to 10 days as well.

You should take into account the possible cost of this surcharge, so while it may be cheaper for postage if you order a lot at one time, then you are increasing the chance of having to pay the Import Duty and VAT. Overall it may work out more expensive if you make a large order, or you could be lucky and not get hit by Customs.

The specifics of the above only apply to the U.K. Different countries will have different costs so I can't help with how practical it is ordering from Japan if you live elsewhere.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 13:51   Link #176
chison
GSNMaSter
*Artist

oh,that is helpful to know you systems^^thanks
so is the less the better(possibly)
,becasue i want some magzine/book from .co.japan
i needs to test out the services anyway...

20% + £6 is a lot...
so,i guess i have to figureout to "real cost"...

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

anyway,i think i will try to put £30-£50^^so ,guy,i will let you know how good/evil they are ...(i hope they donot change me over £100...)
chison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 15:24   Link #177
Haziba

I noticed you didn't have mighty manga on your list, so I thought I'd tell you about it

I think it only posts to UK though

www.mightymanga.co.uk
Haziba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 15:48   Link #178
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Boy, they are expensive.

Example, Prince of Tennis
MightyManga £5.50 + £1 per item postage.
Amazon (UK) £4.00, free delivery with orders over £15.
Old 2008-01-15, 02:40   Link #179
Haziba

Maybe if you buy lots, but I don't often, what with living off pocket money from m'parents an'all... As I buy them in single amounts it's cheaper for me. But hey, I was just putting the site on the list if you wanted it *shrug* don't shoot the messenger
Haziba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 03:48   Link #180
xris
Just call me Ojisan

It's a very good point if you only purchase one at a time.

I would also suggest your local Waterstones, most towns in the U.K. seem to have a store. In addition they seem to be offering free delivery on books now.

The stores around my area seem to have a decent manga selection. One advantage with a shop like Waterstones is that you can always order a book if it's not in stock.

Tags
buying, import, japanese language, manga