AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-12, 14:57   Link #141
kujoe
from head to heel

Just because Wil isn't a soldier doesn't mean he's "wimpy." In fact, I have a feeling that his marksmanship skills will be handy one of these days. His personality may be mild-mannered, but it'll be his intentions, and not an overt manly attitude, that will determine just how much of a man he is. One dimensional demonstrations of "manliness" tend to be boring or trite. (Well, sometimes badassery for badassery's sake is the point of a particular character, and in that case I guess it all depends on what kind of story we're talking about.)

Personally, I get more disinterested at female characters who are regulated to the roles of the plain old damsel in distress. I simply prefer strong women I guess, and as long as the male lead proves his own worth in his own terms in one way or another, then even better.

On another note, TinyRedLeaf's example is spot on. Rock from Black Lagoon is just as GAR as his female partner even though he doesn't carry a gun.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 15:02   Link #142
Echoes

I really like the first episode. It gave a nice overview of the setting, and it sure was fast-paced. Allison seems like a great character as well, cute, eager and upfront. I liked how she just told the old guy "Is that another story you've made up?" without even hesitating. Per episode one, this is absolutely one of the better series this spring, in my opinion.
Old 2008-04-12, 15:03   Link #143
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedGlory View Post
Sexism Rules! 'nuff said XP

I grew up in a traditional asian household where a man should be a man, if he doesn't have the coconuts to step up, he might as well be a helpless little girl. I guess in this modern age, men can afford to be pansies, as theres no real need to be "tough" anymore. Specifically in places like the united states.

My roommate is Japanese, and he's not as extreme as I am in this view. Although her prefers it that if the female is going to be tough, the guy should be as well. Role reversals is just insulting.
I find that people who are overly concerned about "gender roles" and "acting manly" are often trying to overcompensate for something. And seeing how your also asian (and we all know what they say about asians and the size of a certain extremity)...well, the dots start connecting, don't they?

See? Now aren't stereotypes just a blast?
MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 15:30   Link #144
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

I did only see the first episode and I can't not see were you any reason for seeing will for ''a wimpy'' He is a school student, it is obvious than we can't expect him to know exactly how to act in such circonstance. By the way, for the one than see the war as the highess symbol of manliness, you should read ''The art of war'' from Sun Tsu
ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 15:44   Link #145
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
The whole talk about Will being a wimp is hilarious. So one HAVE to pull inspirational speeches and recklessly rush against the fire of a machine gun from episode one to not be called wimp and not be put in the same bag as harem leads?
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 15:59   Link #146
Kazuma77
Kakashi Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Thanks for stopping by to let us know...?
No problem... anytime
~Ladies, if a guy ever tells you, he wants to cover you from head to toe in honey, and lick it all off inch by inch, that's the man who hasn't done it before. You start at her toes, and before you get to anything interesting, she is asleep and you are in diabetic coma ~
Kazuma77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 16:10   Link #147
Sparrow1770
Avian Member

I think it's interesting how both Wil and Kino are top-class marksmen. I wonder if they will share further similarities down the road, or if the author just likes shooting?
Sparrow1770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 16:11   Link #148
ForgedGlory
Fortitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushroomSamba View Post
I find that people who are overly concerned about "gender roles" and "acting manly" are often trying to overcompensate for something. And seeing how your also asian (and we all know what they say about asians and the size of a certain extremity)...well, the dots start connecting, don't they?

See? Now aren't stereotypes just a blast?
And you know what they say about guys who acts like they stand up for women equality right? They're either gay or just trying to get laid.

Oh, and I havent watched it yet, I'm just going by the synopsis of characters. Female lead being the kick ass fighter pilot and the guy being a book wormish type. And usually those types are typically portrayed as those spineless types who screams a lot. If he's more of a normal guy, then I'll retract my impression.
ForgedGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 16:19   Link #149
Sparrow1770
Avian Member

Dude wtf. You haven't even watched it and you started a page long off-topic argument about gender roles? Is there any way to go back in time and prevent that whole convo...
Sparrow1770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 16:36   Link #150
Falkor

Since when does the wimpiness/manliness of a character affect the enjoyment of a show?

I don’t really know where is this discussion about the manliness of a character coming from, but seriously, this has nothing to do with Allison to Lilia... wait… Wil is the supposed target of this senseless cr**, so it’s somehow related, right? I think there are far better/more intelligent topics e.g. the world/setting, the treasure that can end the war, the development of the story, and the list goes on. If you don’t like a show for the characters, I thank you wholeheartedly for letting us know, but can you do us a favor and not derail the discussion off-topic in order to satisfy your great need of discussing gender roles in so uncalled/rude manners…

Last edited by Falkor; 2008-04-13 at 11:37.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 16:37   Link #151
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedGlory View Post
And you know what they say about guys who acts like they stand up for women equality right? They're either gay or just trying to get laid.

Oh, and I havent watched it yet, I'm just going by the synopsis of characters. Female lead being the kick ass fighter pilot and the guy being a book wormish type. And usually those types are typically portrayed as those spineless types who screams a lot. If he's more of a normal guy, then I'll retract my impression.
Oh wow...I'm having a hard time believing anyone can truly be this dense. =\
MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 16:43   Link #152
kujoe
from head to heel

Getting back on more on-topic discussions....

I apologize in advance if this is going to be a stupid question, but I'm wondering why is the title Allison and Lillia? Who's Lillia? The character profile section of the official homepage doesn't have a character with that name.
Old 2008-04-12, 16:52   Link #153
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Getting back on more on-topic discussions....

I apologize in advance if this is going to be a stupid question, but I'm wondering why is the title Allison and Lillia? Who's Lillia? The character profile section of the official homepage doesn't have a character with that name.
From what I remember, the show is divided in two parts. First half, Allison is the lead. Second part will be Lillia.
Old 2008-04-12, 17:00   Link #154
kujoe
from head to heel

I inferred as much, but I was just wondering who this Lillia character is. I don't see her in the website.
Old 2008-04-12, 17:07   Link #155
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Quote:
I inferred as much, but I was just wondering who this Lillia character is. I don't see her in the website.
She'll be introduced in time. I'd say there are (at least) three more characters that are important enough to be shown on the website.
Old 2008-04-12, 17:08   Link #156
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Maybe they are trying to keep it hidden away until closer to when Lilia's part gets started. Honestly not too sure myself.

Any avenue of discussion has to be better than what we were just in for the last page or so .
Old 2008-04-12, 17:32   Link #157
FuzzyWuzzy

Everything will be handy. He will use his marksman skills but he will use his brain more. He will use his long term and short term memory skills, and he will show his problem solving skills. Wil is going to be emo with his marksman skills. He will be like "Nooo, I'm not going to shoot that soldier. I'm not going to take someone's life". He will be crying and crap. The thing with this anime is that it's so obvious already that it has no potential whatsoever to be really good. The only thing that can make this anime really good is if it will be like Indiana Jones and he will go to underground temples and stuff.

Anyway, judging by episode 1, it has no potential but I will watch episode 2 also. Now if episode 2 doesn't introduce the villains and more good guys, I will definitely drop this series. Anime can't live with only the main characters. The villains need lots of screen time also.
FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 17:49   Link #158
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

You are expecting too much from it. From what I've seen, it's going to be more about the journey than the duo kicking the local equivalent of nazis.
Old 2008-04-12, 17:56   Link #159
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I certainly have no problem following something that's about two on a journey. That kind of thing can work just fine. Trying to find the treasure, stay safe in enemy territory, and the personal relationship that is likely to develop along the way.

Am a bit curious on who picked up that guy in the first episode. Since he was part of that poison gas mission and knows the location of the treasure are a couple reasons for people to be after him. Probably more about the treasure though. If it was just someone out for revenge due to that mission then they would have just killed him there.

So maybe not much to discuss there, but something that came to mind.
Old 2008-04-12, 18:08   Link #160
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Funny thing is if ForgedGlory would talk about whites and blacks like he's talking about men and women he would already enjoy his permaban I suppose.

The first (subbed) and second (raw) episode so far delivered what I hoped. Maybe my favorite April anime so far. The relationship between the countries is badly oversimplified but I don't care much. Better than trying to be realistic and failing at it.

Tags
adventure, historical, shounen