AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Full Metal Panic > Past FMP Series (Archive)

Notices

Old 2004-03-23, 23:25   Link #1
kyosuke
My bike got stolen

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu

I've asked people around and they suggested me this anime.
Could someone tell me whether this anime is like a continuation of Full Metal Panic! ?
Would I be able to understand the series if I started watching this without watching "Full Metal Panic!" first?

Thanks in Advance,
Kyosuke
kyosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-24, 00:39   Link #2
MikoKikyo

No, I don't think they're related... I never watched Full Metal Panic, and when I watched FMF it didn't seem like anything was missing, it was pretty basic and straightforward...

So don't worry about it, you can understand FMF in itself.
MikoKikyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-24, 00:51   Link #3
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosuke
Could someone tell me whether this anime is like a continuation of Full Metal Panic! ?
Would I be able to understand the series if I started watching this without watching "Full Metal Panic!" first?

Thanks in Advance,
Kyosuke
A short, clear-direct-to-the-point answer would be: No, you do not have to watch "Full Metal Panic!" to understand "Full Metal Panic? Fmoff"

Elaboration: Though the two stories are related (characters, background details, etc.), the former revolves around action/adventure in a combat zone while the latter focuses its attention on the characters' comical life in high school.

Hence, you do not need to watch "Full Metal Panic!" beforehand to enjoy "Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu." However, a lot of my friends who haven't watched FMP! and started with FMP?Fmoff did get them interested into watching/reading FMP! in the end.

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-02-14 at 22:01.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-24, 01:35   Link #4
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

to elaborate: FMP is based on books
the manga is based on the books+the short stories based in the FMP world
the anime Full Metal Panic! is based in the straightforward world of the novels
Fumoffu is the animation of the "filler" manga chapters and the short stories written by the original author.
the manga has an interesting way of going about it, too: Vol. 1 is mostly school comedy, vol. 2 is entirely about the events in N. Korea, vol 3 is more comedy, and vol. 4 is more plot
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-24, 02:12   Link #5
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

FMP: Fumoffu? is just a bunch of happenings at school while Sousuke attended. All you need to know to watch Fumoffu? is that Sousuke grew up a guerilla fighter in Aghganistan and is having trouble adapting to the normal Japanese lifestyle. THis is explained in the first episode...
Full Metal Panic is not required. However, it is a good series you may want to see.
Slade xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-24, 22:05   Link #6
ff7799
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ff7799 Send a message via MSN to ff7799
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosuke

Thanks in Advance,
Kyosuke
Full Metal Fumoffu pics up directly where full metal panic leaves off.
ff7799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-25, 01:03   Link #7
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff7799
Full Metal Fumoffu pics up directly where full metal panic leaves off.
half right
almost any point of FMP? Fumoffu can take place before (or after) episode 12
episode 1 of FMP? Fumoffu actually takes place right BEFORE FMP! episode 1
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-27, 06:27   Link #8
roguenoir
Rogue Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
half right
Episodes 11 and 12 take place after FMP! 1 b/c of the brief flashback of one of the ending episodes of FMP1. It would make sense that the sub is undergoing maintenance due to the whole incident at the end of FMP1. The other episodes could have taken place anywhere.. during or after FMP1.

I'd recommend that you watch BOTH series simultaneously if you haven't seen either, preferably starting with a few ep's of FMP1.

Last edited by roguenoir; 2004-03-31 at 05:49.
roguenoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-27, 21:42   Link #9
Umbrae
Generic Human

I did not watch FMP before watching FMP:F yet fumoffu became my favorite comic anime. Personaly, I would recomend watching a few episodes of FMP, but it is in no way nessisary.

You will just get a few jokes better, like when his partners show up for the bath house episode.
Umbrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 18:49   Link #10
Marine-RX179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
half right
Actually you are the one that's mistaken....ff7799 was right.
Chidori only met Sosuke only for the first time in school during the episode 1 of FMP, while through the episodes of FMP? Fumoffu, it has already clearly shown her affection for him.
Marine-RX179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 08:13   Link #11
xKeen

5 year old,but I just can't resist posting.
Still watching episode 2,and I can't stop slapping myself from the humor(can't stop laughing)

Credits to Pellissier~
xKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 18:01   Link #12
JRendell
Manga Addict

Indeed, it is very funny.
JRendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-02, 18:23   Link #13
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKeen View Post
5 year old,but I just can't resist posting.
Still watching episode 2,and I can't stop slapping myself from the humor(can't stop laughing)
Yeah, FMP:F was a pretty funny set of episodes. I wish there were more though, 12 episodes seemed short.

Anyway, happy watching. Favorite episodes for me: 6 & 11
darkdarkdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-02, 19:34   Link #14
gaffer7

A classic series for me, I don't think there's a single purely comedy style anime I would rank as highly as FMP Fumoffu. Actually, interestingly enough, I would likely choose to show people Fumoffu first over the original series if I was introducing them to anime, largely because I think it was much better done
Old 2009-11-02, 20:05   Link #15
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffer7 View Post
A classic series for me, I don't think there's a single purely comedy style anime I would rank as highly as FMP Fumoffu. Actually, interestingly enough, I would likely choose to show people Fumoffu first over the original series if I was introducing them to anime, largely because I think it was much better done
Yeah I think so too. However some things don't make sense unless you watch the main story. IMO the reason why Fumoffu was better was really just because KyoAni did the last two seasons.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-03, 18:43   Link #16
xKeen

Moving on to second raid after I finish this.I miss the other characters...

Credits to Pellissier~
Old 2009-11-03, 19:00   Link #17
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
I disagree. I started on a few episodes on fumoffu at first, because I thought that it was the first season. I got confused later, and did not realize it was the 2nd season until episode 10. It confused me. I watched the first season, and fumoffu was a lot funnier the second time

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKeen View Post
Moving on to second raid after I finish this.I miss the other characters...
I don't really miss any of the characters from fumoffu. Tsubaki was lame. Sousuke owns him hands down . I love TSR (episode 6,9,13 for sure). Animation was a lot better in it as well.
Old 2009-11-03, 19:16   Link #18
xKeen

I meant the characters from Full metal panic!

Credits to Pellissier~
Old 2009-11-03, 20:30   Link #19
gaffer7

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdarkdark View Post
I disagree. I started on a few episodes on fumoffu at first, because I thought that it was the first season. I got confused later, and did not realize it was the 2nd season until episode 10. It confused me. I watched the first season, and fumoffu was a lot funnier the second time
Hmm, well, I showed Fumoffu to a number of my friends and even without the first season, they were cracking up over the series. I will admit, though, that I had to explain a few things to them at certain points, but that's why I'd probably show it to them, not get them to watch it themselves, as Fumoffu never gets old for me! I'm basing my opinion mainly on the fact I've personally seen far more favourable responses among people I know for Fumoffu, some really dislike the first season
Old 2009-11-05, 18:47   Link #20
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Hmm, well, I showed Fumoffu to a number of my friends and even without the first season, they were cracking up over the series. I will admit, though, that I had to explain a few things to them at certain points, but that's why I'd probably show it to them, not get them to watch it themselves, as Fumoffu never gets old for me! I'm basing my opinion mainly on the fact I've personally seen far more favourable responses among people I know for Fumoffu, some really dislike the first season
Well, the first season was a bit of a doozy. I personally liked the first season the least out of all. First of all, only the first few episodes were pretty interesting, and how Kaname finds out Sousuke is a mercenary and all, then it gets pretty dull. Behemoth was pretty boring, and the 3 Hamajistan(sorry for spelling) ones were a bit depressing. The first season ended terribly too, and did not offer much closure. Thank goodness for another 2 seasons.

Fumoffu is watchable because it's a comedy series. It attracts all types of viewers, and it was pretty well done.