AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-05-04, 17:39   Link #41
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I don't see how it's too hard to program either. Given how housing in TES games work, all you'd need to do is turn the buyable houses into instances.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 18:28   Link #42
Xion Valkyrie

Even Aion added in player owned housing in the latest update. Complete with SIMs like decorating and customization.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 19:41   Link #43
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Ugh, they took what made TES cool and gave us generic crap. They could have easily had the day life cycle for NPCs. Hotbar combat fkn seriously? I'm so over that. Yeah I can get why you would make Certain NPCs unkillable, particularly quest ones, but seriously stuff can respawn and it would have added a cool criminal like element to the game, if the guard catch you.

Leaning from dubiously optimistic to cynically disappointed on this now.
Old 2012-05-04, 19:46   Link #44
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Ugh, they took what made TES cool and gave us generic crap. They could have easily had the day life cycle for NPCs. Hotbar combat fkn seriously?
Really? Is this true? I will rage, I can see this being like swtor, amazing story, but nothing else that special. The game just wont feel right with specific attacks for me anyway.
Old 2012-05-05, 05:12   Link #45
Mr Hat and Clogs

Old 2012-05-05, 05:27   Link #46
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Frankly, i can't think of anyway to make TES online to have what TES series provides.....

I means... will they allow killing NPC? Stealth and one-hit-kill backstabbing? Decision that change world stage? It seems they are just too lazy to create a new world/ Lore for their new mmorpg.
Old 2012-05-05, 05:48   Link #47
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Frankly, i can't think of anyway to make TES online to have what TES series provides.....

I means... will they allow killing NPC? Stealth and one-hit-kill backstabbing? Decision that change world stage? It seems they are just too lazy to create a new world/ Lore for their new mmorpg.
That's the problem. The people who ARE interested in a TES MMO, want something that plays like TES multiplayer. But it seems the makers are not even trying to implement anything TES was known for. They didn't even bother to imitate the feel of the world, despite changes being inevitable.

I guess the issue now isn't that this is a TES MMO; the problem is that this is a TES MMO in name only.
Old 2012-05-05, 13:07   Link #48
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Like I said originally, fucking devs need to stop reusing existing IPs for MMOs and just make new ones. If your franchise was heavily single-player (or a movie series) how do you think the fans are going to care when you change everything to rip off WoW?

Why is only Korea making original, from-scratch MMOs?
It's a matter of priority. Even now, established western publishers are heavily invested in the AAA space, so MMOGs and social games merely serve as additions to their businesses (to help stabilize earnings, as well as to experiment with different markets) and not core focuses. If a publisher is going to develop a new property, it'll probably be a AAA game. That's what they're used to making and marketing.

Korean content makers live or die by MMOGs, so they've got to keep churning out new IPs. Sadly, their visions tend to revolve around short-term exploitation (create a gazillion titles, exploit them while they can, and then let them rot in order to promote the next cycle of games).......which is fine for movies, books, or traditional games. However, great MMOGs require community management and long-term investment, which I find lacking in too many titles.

At any rate, I don't want the western game industry to resemble Korea's. With F2P pricing models, the rise of social media, and increasing financial risk, a shift toward online games is occurring. Nevertheless, AAA (and more specifically, single player) games offer so many things that F2P/MMO games don't, and I would like them to remain dominant, as selfish as the wish may be. We lose original AAA games once investors refocus their capital toward promoting new F2P/MMO IPs.

Quote:
But it seems the makers are not even trying to implement anything TES was known for. They didn't even bother to imitate the feel of the world, despite changes being inevitable.

I guess the issue now isn't that this is a TES MMO; the problem is that this is a TES MMO in name only.
Yeah, that's one sign of the MMORPG being an experimental (albeit risky) addition to an existing business. Zenimax wanted to exploit Elder Scrolls in the form of an online game, so they built a new studio to create it.

However, the Bethesda developers (off in their own world making Fallout 3, Skyrim, etc.) aren't in charge of development, and there don't seem to be many guidelines dictating how the universe should be implemented.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 18:17   Link #49
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
One could argue from the Photoshop job featured here that Gamespy is also concerned about how this could turn out...
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 18:36   Link #50
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Wouldn't it just be a way to splice all the various game's maps together so people can run around the entire thing?
Old 2012-05-05, 19:02   Link #51
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

On the claims of the company that this game is going to be out in 2013: No. It either means you've already spend years developing this, in which case you have astonishingly little to show for yourself (and hat you have isn't good), or that this game will be delayed. Severely.

I am hoping the later, because this game needs it.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 05:16   Link #52
Jaden

TES universe is just as good a setting for an MMO as any, I guess. I might try this out.

It just sucks if they aren't making the actual TES6 because of this. MMO market is pretty much saturated, but god knows there is never enough good single player RPGs.

EDIT: I guess it's not a problem, since Bethesda aren't the ones making it. It's a new team put together by Zenimax.

Last edited by Jaden; 2012-05-07 at 14:23.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 10:54   Link #53
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Read up a bit on this in the GameInformer article. I suppose their justification of respawning is sorta justified maybe.

Spoiler for Spoiler:

There's three factions, each made up of three races. None of them are Imperial, so I guess we can't play as them? What I don't understand is why one of the factions is made up of Nords, Dunmer, and Argonians. That... doesn't make a damn bit of sense since they all hate one another. The article made note that they all hate each other in this game, especially the Argonians thanks to the Dark Elves enslaving them all the time, and this'll supposed to be made apparent in-game. But they'll "understand the danger facing them as a whole by the game's plot!"

*facepalms*

A couple of the other screenshots in the game does use game assets, at least. Morrowind structures look like the ones in Mournhold in Tribunal, while fortresses in Skyrim look the same as the one in the titular game.
Old 2012-05-07, 15:45   Link #54
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

I really hate teaser trailers, so annoying watching them. I don't to be teased
Old 2012-05-08, 01:09   Link #55
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
According to Kotaku, you can't own houses because it is too hard to implement.
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/05/fir...r-fantasy-mmo/
It also is NOT sandbox. Your level determines where you are allowed to go. And NPCs don't have schedules so they just stay where they are forever. You also don't have real time combat.

In short, it is a repackaged WoW clone with the TES name slapped on. Have fun!
Wait... all these problems were solved by other MMOs... years ago in some cases. None of the announcements or info is making much sense -- bad sign.

To paraphrase one of the comments, "God damned HELLO KITTY ONLINE was able to do housing, are you telling us you just can't do some research or program?"
Old 2012-05-08, 01:15   Link #56
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

WoW didn't want housing because they felt people were spending too much time in the cities to begin with.
Old 2012-05-08, 01:22   Link #57
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Has me wanting to re-activate my EQ2 (launch *2004*) account just to play house design again ... (so many hours designing homes with guildmates). Seriously though, the housing is not nearly as bothersome as all the "generic MMO again" relating to combat, environment, NPCs, etc.

I just pulled "housing" out for mockery because it was such a dumbass statement on the part of the creators.

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-05-08 at 01:54.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 01:37   Link #58
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Is it still too early to say "We told you so?" :k
Old 2012-05-08, 01:51   Link #59
Mr Hat and Clogs

It's never to early.

Side note, on all the message boards and newsboards I've been too, near all of them are not enthusiastic about TESO at all. Most seem to state much the same as we have here. Same old tired formula everyone is sick of.

These guys have been working on for the last five years or so, so now after they announce it and the reception to that seems to be lukewarm at best it must be disheartening.
Old 2012-05-08, 02:08   Link #60
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Graphics are lower, of course, because we can't have nice-looking MMOs, but it looks okay, at least.
Spoken like someone who hasn't played TERA.

Being an MMO is no longer an excuse for subpar graphics... it's just that the HERO engine which this game and TOR uses looks like shit and is horribly optimized, How can a Korean MMO that is over a year old with much less of a budget look 10x better?
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote