AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 05 Rating
Perfect 10 54 13.99%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 5.18%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 5.96%
7 out of 10 : Good 25 6.48%
6 out of 10 : Average 27 6.99%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 16 4.15%
4 out of 10 : Poor 10 2.59%
3 out of 10 : Bad 8 2.07%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 7 1.81%
1 out of 10 : Painful 196 50.78%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-10, 19:17   Link #641
Parappashi
Happy Member

The plane!

Haruhi wants to go skydiving.
Old 2009-07-10, 19:25   Link #642
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Haha, it seems everyone is having fun slashing at this episode. Could this episode be the most 1's received ever in animesuki?

Wait, so how many directors/groups are in KyoAni? I bet the directors are having a blast, each having a go at Haruhi. This time was done by the people of K-on, right? From the trade mark teeth.

Last edited by Nochgo; 2009-07-10 at 19:41.
Old 2009-07-10, 19:26   Link #643
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parappashi View Post
The plane!

Haruhi wants to go skydiving.
Actually Haruhi wants to do something else.
Spoiler for Stuff:

Two more episodes folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nochgo View Post
Wait, so how many directors/groups are in KyoAni? I bet the directors are having a blast, each having a go at Haruhi. This time was done by the people of K-on, right? From the trade mark teeth.
There are at least five teams and eight named directors. Take that as you will.

Last edited by Myssa Rei; 2009-07-10 at 19:28. Reason: Quotes. Ahain
Old 2009-07-10, 19:57   Link #644
Solachinx
is a myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Actually Haruhi wants to do something else.
Spoiler for Stuff:
Spoiler for suff as well:
Old 2009-07-10, 20:06   Link #645
Jintor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Excuse me? How can you compare the detailed and fluid art of Haruhi S1 with the terrible unstable and non-detailed K-On animation? The facial expressions which remind me more of Manabi Straight? The hands which look like pumped-up balloons drawn by kindergarteners? Please look at Malkuth's screenshot comparison (thank you for that!), and if you still see no terrible quality degradation, I can't help it.
It's interesting to note that while I really don't like K-On's animation style in screenshots, as part of a moving, animated experience (particularly Endless Eight IV) I just ignore the inconsistancies and it seems to work very well.

/edit: Of course, I haven't actually seen K-On, so I might just not be over-exposed like the rest of you.
Old 2009-07-10, 20:24   Link #646
Bri

Quote:
Excuse me? How can you compare the detailed and fluid art of Haruhi S1 with the terrible unstable and non-detailed K-On animation? The facial expressions which remind me more of Manabi Straight? The hands which look like pumped-up balloons drawn by kindergarteners? Please look at Malkuth's screenshot comparison (thank you for that!), and if you still see no terrible quality degradation, I can't help it.
That screenshot is hardly indicative for the whole series. Take a few of the weaker shots from the Mystérique Sign episodes and S2 might even look better.

Quote:
The art of Kanon was definitely superior in my opinion. For example, take Mai's dancing episode. Nothing in Clannad or Clannad AS even came close. Script is up to personal preference, I guess.
Clan. AS ep 22. the cherry blossoms falling, easily holds it's own.

Quote:
And this is the kind of KyoAni-fanboyish blindness which I can only shake my head on. Let's take Eden of the East and Shangri-La, as the two most recent GONZO shows. Both are VASTLY superior animation-wise compared to for example K-On. Stable and detailed art, higher resolution, more detailed backgrounds, less "moe at all costs" art which results in a much more realistic visual impression.
I'll just ignore the elitist attitude as moe-bitterness. I hope I don't even have to explain the differences in aproach between the series you mentioned so I will leave it a that.

I am not blind to Kyoani's faults. They can't create an original story if their life depended on it and they can't do much else then draw pretty girls. However in terms of adapting existing stories, directing, color use and lighting, they are top notch.

As for Gonzo, they have poured out tons of mediocre material the last decade. If they don't mess up the animation then the storyline goes down the drain. I'm a mecha fan first and foremost. I have a lot of gripes with Gonzo on that part. They can't hold a candle against works of Satelight, Sunrise, Bones or Gainax. The one time they made a great looking OVA, Yukikaze, it just crashed and burned for not having a plot. They made a few decent shows, Saikano and Romeo x Juliet (had to look those up even) but given the volume of the output of their work it has been disappointing. I think my comparison to Bones is more fair as that is another studio that produces limited amounts of high quality work.
Quote:
Sorry folks, but the days where KyoAni could awe at least me with visuals have been OVER by ~2 years now. Had K-On been released by any other noname studio, it wouldn't have merely flopped, it even wouldn't have been talked about. Open your eyes.
Shows like Chobits, Strawberry Panic, Tora dora, K-on! and Lucky Star do very well with the youngest anime crowd over here. Let's face it, there is a market for cute characers doing cute things.

Quote:
Too bad that Haruhi is no moeblob show. At least it hasn't been. And it doesn't suit the show at all to be K-On-moefied.
Here I would actually agree, I love the 2006 designs over the current ones, but I'm more then happy to see where the show leads.
Old 2009-07-10, 20:35   Link #647
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There is a moeblob in Haruhi....she's named Mikuru, and she does it better than most of those that followed her.
Old 2009-07-10, 20:51   Link #648
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
There is a moeblob in Haruhi....she's named Mikuru, and she does it better than most of those that followed her.
Isn't that her explicit purpose in the SOS-dan anyway? ;P

Wow, we're getting extremely circular at this point. I sense a pattern with the posters in this thread:

a. Posters who complain because of the extension of Endless Eight.
b. Posters who complain because of the inconsistent styles of animation seen in between the iterations of Endless Eight.
c. Posters who complain because it's a KyoAni work.
d. Posters who complain because of Kadokawa's tomfoolery.
e. Posters who defend the extension of Endless Eight because it's surprising.
f. Posters who defend the repetition because it's done by KyoAni.
g. Posters who don't really care either way and are just content to watch where this all goes.
h. Posters who haven't actually watched the episode at all or even care about Haruhi, and just want to stir up trouble.

Last edited by Myssa Rei; 2009-07-10 at 21:04.
Old 2009-07-10, 21:02   Link #649
Ikonomi
∞て何だ。。。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
a. Posters who complain because of the extension of Endless Eight.
b. Posters who complain because of the inconsistent styles of animation seen in between the iterations of Endless Eight.
c. Posters who complain because it's a KyoAni work.
d. Posters who complain because of Kadokawa's tomfoolery.
e. Posters who defend the extension of Endless Eight because it's surprising.
f. Posters who defend the repetition because it's done by KyoAni.
g. Posters who don't really care either way and are just content to watch where this all goes.
I say we all pick a letter and run with it. I pick H!
Old 2009-07-10, 21:29   Link #650
Jintor

I'll roll with g.
Old 2009-07-10, 21:33   Link #651
SSJiffy
AWWWSOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
I'll roll with g.
I'm definitely in the a camp. I've no qualms about the animation, directors, producer, etc.
Old 2009-07-10, 21:35   Link #652
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I'm in the "a" camp too. The episodes were great, I'd just rather see them use that greatness on Disappearance.
Old 2009-07-10, 21:40   Link #653
Solictum

I'm part of g...
Old 2009-07-10, 21:42   Link #654
GDB

I'll go with g. I don't really like the constant repetition, but I'll go with the flow until I get bored enough to read the novels.
Old 2009-07-10, 21:54   Link #655
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

But Haruhi isn't an h. series.
Old 2009-07-10, 22:01   Link #656
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
But Haruhi isn't an h. series.
I think that was an incredibly bad pun, even for you.
Old 2009-07-10, 22:14   Link #657
hongee
@ ihongee.co.cc

A. A. A. A.

I want to see Disappearance nao.
Old 2009-07-10, 22:17   Link #658
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

I'll choose a, e, and g. BOOM BAM, multiple choice.

I don't like how ridiculously long Endless Eight has gotten, but I definitely wasn't expecting it. Watching basically the same episode for the past couple weeks isn't exactly the most riveting experience I could hope for, but it's interesting enough for me to have downloaded it, and to have read stuff here.

I'm also choosing g, because who am I kidding? The entire season could be Endless Eight, or the rest of the episodes could just be real-time footage of Kyon walking up the giant hill leading to his school, and I'd still buy the DVDs. It's Haruhi.

In that situation I'd also be buying the DVDs because it'd feel weird not to own them if they were available. That's the same force that led me to buy >20 volumes of Inuyasha, even though I stopped being even remotely interested in it about four volumes in.

Lololol what Inuyasha I haven't made any regrettable purchases in the past
Old 2009-07-10, 22:41   Link #659
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
a, b, d, and e for me.

What? I can't complain about the extension and defend it at the same time for being ballsy?

Just watch me.
Old 2009-07-10, 22:52   Link #660
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

e,f. Yay fanboyism. Though that makes that I have as much credibility defending something as reckoner or KS have when attacking something.
Closed Thread