Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-08-31, 19:02   Link #101
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I forgot to post last night, but Yamakan has also posted his opinion on 2ch's "white-knighting" over Eri Kitamura's experience with anons and phalluses.
I don't think he made such references to what happened to Kitamura, considering the timing is a bit off. Rather, he probably refers to his own situation: people who made fun of him.

Which is quite displaced, since he puts everyone in the same lot.
Old 2012-08-31, 19:02   Link #102
Eater of All
NOM

Just hope this debacle ends soon, people learn their lesson, the show goes on, and the producer's mom's dog's favorite neighbor (or anyone remotely related to this incident) won't turn out to be a target of hate and boycott.
Old 2012-08-31, 19:31   Link #103
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudolicious View Post
I doubt the accuracy of the translation, but I can't say for sure yet because I'm currently not able to listen to the show for myself. I wouldn't take translations from some blog for totally authentic to begin with though.

Also I think you're overestimating the whole "losing face" thing, teh_pings post especially gave me a good chuckle. You're making it out like he's completely finished and could just as wel commit sudoku

Yes, they pulled a prank on a human being and once again, I of course don't think this was necessary or especially funny. But instead of being a hypocrite and acting like I would give a shit about his personal life or his career - which none of us does - I'm simply saying that we shouldn't make this a bigger deal than it is.

These holy saint attitude is really starting to annoy me, you're blowing things out of proportion
Actually I do....I do feel for the guy. That is more than not giving a shit

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudolicious View Post
No doubt that losing face in general is a way bigger thing over there than anywhere else, but it's not like he's never going to get another job or his friends would start bullying him or something. Some people here make it out like this was the biggest possible "humiliation" and start spouting about losing his face, when it was just a stupid prank. I'm not saying it won't damage him at all, that's one of the reasons why I stated multiple times that I'm not approving of this as well, but again, he's not gonna be home and jobless and abandoned from society because of this

And of course there's nothing wrong in sympathizing with him, but again, that's no reason to starting blowing things out of proportion
Oh he won't become a NEET forever because of this. It won't make things easier for him though....his reputation, the temporary short term stigma of being the victim of an incident that got quickly out of hand, the fact that a radio show of an anime got shutdown because of him....who'd want to associate with him for these few months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinflyer View Post
In any case SILVER LINK is a great company--they'd better do something to clear this mess (at least) or risk getting axed to infamy.
Indeed...why isn't Oonuma and co doing some damage control? They are too good for them to deserve getting any unwarranted backlash like this

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2012-08-31 at 19:45.
Old 2012-08-31, 19:57   Link #104
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'll be curious to see the actual sales figures regardless of that Amazon graph. Things like this can sometimes have exactly the opposite effect of what is expected. People might buy the show just because it has become notorious. This event might even increase KC's long-run value as a collector's item, or at least its perceived value at the moment.
Old 2012-08-31, 20:19   Link #105
stormtrooper

Yeah, it's like saying, "What's done is done." Whoever's involved should have learned their lesson. Those not involved shouldn't be worried now.
Old 2012-08-31, 20:37   Link #106
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
As vile as this so-called "prank" is, I also have a hard time saying anyone's career should end over it. It's a mistake, a stupid one and a serious error in judgement, and the discussion shouldn't even start until a full and unreserved public apology is given. But is it a mistake worthy of having a career ended? I don't quite see it, and no one despises bullying more than me.

As for Kitamura Eri and the author and illustrator, they don't even belong in the discussion. That's just stupid on the face of it.
I have a hard time understanding the whole incident. I suppose they could just be jackasses, but I saw one comment claiming that Terashima was friends with Ichiki.

Could this have been stupidity as well? The thought that "any publicity is good publicity" and that somehow this would actually help Ichiki? Yeah, that's stupid, but then I've seen a lot of stupid stuff done by people trying to break into show business, I've even seen a lot of stupid stuff work for breaking into show business.

Might a combination of "it will get him publicity," "stupid stuff like this makes you memorable," combined with a lower awareness for the damaging effect when it's not yourself going through the humiliation leading to someone thinking this was a favor? (A favor in which you also got to indulge your sadist side).

It's hard for me to credit, but as I always remind myself, never underestimate the power of stupidity.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2012-08-31, 21:34   Link #107
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
I saw one comment claiming that Terashima was friends with Ichiki.
Not all "friends" mean well or are sincere.

Quote:
Could this have been stupidity as well? The thought that "any publicity is good publicity" and that somehow this would actually help Ichiki? Yeah, that's stupid, but then I've seen a lot of stupid stuff done by people trying to break into show business, I've even seen a lot of stupid stuff work for breaking into show business.
If that were the case, the controversy would've erupted two months ago.

They pulled the prank because they figured they could get away with it. The producers and fellow seiyuu pegged Ichiki as a naive fool who'd go along with their abuse because he's clueless (as Kikuchi put it, a a hopeless person who's so easy to manipulate because he's desperate to be in the industry and doesn't realize that he'll never make it). The idea was to thoroughly humiliate him and then watch in glee as he went through with their instructions without refusing or fighting back.

And they were right. They nearly got away with it, but something unforeseen (Tomokazu Sugita's reaction to the incident on his radio show) happened............
Old 2012-08-31, 21:40   Link #108
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
I have a hard time understanding the whole incident. I suppose they could just be jackasses, but I saw one comment claiming that Terashima was friends with Ichiki.
I don't know if this is true or not but I had "friends" in the past who treated me poorly. But I think a true friend wouldn't do something like that.

As for the publicity thing well they say there is no such thing as bad publicity. I am not sure how Ichiki feels and I am not going to try to speculate. It's possible this might help him in the long run (it's getting him name recognition. Looking at his roles he is probably not a seiyuu people paid much attention to previously).

But even if this might help his career in the long run, I don't think that takes away from the fact that he was publicly humiliated and made fun of by his peers/colleagues in the business. If good comes out of this then I don't think that takes away from the bad. They are separate in my mind.

Now for it being an elaborate scheme to boost his career to begin with. I personally don't think so because the whole thing was very quiet at first. It only came out fairly recently.
Old 2012-08-31, 21:55   Link #109
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Now for it being an elaborate scheme to boost his career to begin with. I personally don't think so because the whole thing was very quiet at first. It only came out fairly recently.
Exactly. Unless Ichiki actually spoke out about what really happened (which they didn't expect given his desire for a big break), fans would just think that the joke was staged.
Old 2012-08-31, 22:13   Link #110
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Ah, I didn't realize it was a delayed thing like that.

Sigh... I guess they are just jerks then.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2012-08-31, 22:17   Link #111
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I forgot to post last night, but Yamakan has also posted his opinion on 2ch's "white-knighting" over Eri Kitamura's experience with anons and phalluses.

>集団によるイジメが大好きなネットの住民が集団によるイジメを批判し
ても何の説得力もございません
>The same people who loves bullying is now trying to save someone from bullying? Yeah right.
I would like to clarify one thing: Anon seems to confuse Yamakan, the fan nickname for Yutaka Yamamoto who is not involved, with Yamanaka, the "ringleader".
Old 2012-08-31, 22:47   Link #112
sa547
*Author

Damn, the clusterfuck on both sides of the pond has gone bigger. :|
Old 2012-08-31, 23:47   Link #113
kenshinflyer
Super Combat Butler

Is a lawsuit possible for Ichiki-san, dare I ask?
Old 2012-09-01, 01:02   Link #114
Sumeragi
Banned

Lawsuits? Where do you think this is, the US?
Old 2012-09-01, 01:16   Link #115
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Sugita's actions seriously remind me of Gin from Gintama, though the latter would no doubt give Terashima a kick in the ass rather than a mere cold shoulder.

Anyway, this whole incident has increased my respect for him. I think it's safe to say not many famous seiyuu would stand up for a much less popular seiyuu in this manner (cold shoulder and all)

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
Old 2012-09-01, 01:31   Link #116
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

And that "PR job" they just threw on him? Apparently he has to pay out of his own pocket for his expenses, no funding. Have fun going from Tokyo to Hokkaido out of your own money.

Sugita OTOH proved just how awesome he is. Here's to hoping this incident won't affect Tokyo Encounter, though. I prefer my wisecracking Sugita while playing obscure games.
Old 2012-09-01, 01:58   Link #117
Ridwan

We really wouldn't have heard of this case if it weren't for Sugita, would we ?
Old 2012-09-01, 03:43   Link #118
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
Sugita's actions seriously remind me of Gin from Gintama, though the latter would no doubt give Terashima a kick in the ass rather than a mere cold shoulder.

Anyway, this whole incident has increased my respect for him. I think it's safe to say not many famous seiyuu would stand up for a much less popular seiyuu in this manner (cold shoulder and all)
I believe the majority of VA should understand Ichiki position, because they were low end VA once before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
We really wouldn't have heard of this case if it weren't for Sugita, would we ?
So it was Sugita that tweeted this whole incident out or a fan heard his radio...
Old 2012-09-01, 03:43   Link #119
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

This incident reminds me of a similar one that happens 2 years back and it involve the same parties. :-

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201010/28035135.html

Basically it happened on a promo event for the anime adaption of Onii-chan no Koto nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!! hosted by Kitamura, Ichiki and Yamanaka.

In the midst of the event, Yamanaka made a sudden announcement to revealed some recorded lines that borders on the likes from Eroge and H-anime which Kitamura and Ichiki didn't expected.

Ichiki's lines take the blunt with them going "You had not even start to play Doctor And Nurses with your big brother here !" and "I just want to see how a naked girl is like !" boardcasting on a crowded street.

Because this incident survive without people batting an eyelid, they decide to try something even harder hitting. That is how things comes to a head now.

And I must say something about the Japanese mentality being reflected here. Like what a poster said a few pages back, a junior cowering to someone his senior, regardless of the amount of humiliations he must take is something expected in the Japanese society. It's fine as long as it is kept hidden, only when things get blown up like now did they try to mend fences. Too late for that. And I don't see things getting better when all these are over.

Last edited by MakubeX2; 2012-09-01 at 03:54.
Old 2012-09-01, 03:50   Link #120
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

It's pretty much the same in entertainment industries around the world, be it in singing, acting, hosting, modelling, etc. Every budding artist goes through all sorts of incidents before they become famous.

I remember one of the top Taiwanese celebrities related how he was forced to pose with a live octopus on his head in front of a studio audience on a show that was also broadcast live to thousands of viewers.
Closed Thread