AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-02-06, 22:40   Link #2801
Fragment off
Reader or Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
I don't know why people are saying that Awai's weak or a bad player. At the current stage, Himeko and Ryuuka's abilities are some of the strongest we've ever seen:

Awai isn't weak ,I just said that her defense is inherently weak like those of Kuro. She is still better than Kuro ,being quicker and far less previsible , but she still got a 'paper thin' defense. I wouldn't bet on her against Jindai or Kasumi.
Though I'm curious what she would do against Toyone .

On another note it seem she is weaker than seiko when it come to her pure skill .She may be good but she is far from a skilled player.

Last edited by Fragment off; 2013-02-06 at 23:16. Reason: Add the quote
Fragment off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 22:42   Link #2802
night_sentinel

Spoiler for Current Score:

Looking at the scores, despite Shizu's 'ability' she hasn't really done anything except for that one hand. And it looks like she's being ignored on the 2nd hanchan.

As for Awai, I admit to be disappointed. I don't believe that she was shown to be a weak player far from it. But, Awai fell short of her hype. She was touted by the media as Teru's successor and story-wise she was supposed to be Saki's boss fight for the team tournament. Both are heavy titles and I was expecting someone ala Teru or Full moon! Koromo to show up....

Sigh... I suppose its my fault for listening to Saki-verse media.

Anyway, its not like Awai is a weakling, I'm pretty sure she will put up a good fight against our resident demonic overlord. If Shizu passes, then Awai can also team up with her. It seems like their abilities are being set-up to counter Saki....

Lol... at this rate, I have the feeling that SAKI is going to be the final boss.

Last edited by night_sentinel; 2013-02-07 at 00:09.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 22:57   Link #2803
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Well, to be fair it's only till the second half that Awai got serious, and the hands she has lost are against people that:

a) Can basically set the future in stone (Shindouj)
b) Can see the future in advance (Senriyama)
c) Shizu (Shizu )

Which is basically hax.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 23:03   Link #2804
The Green One

All of the hands in the 2nd rounds were rons according to the scoreboard I found, so while Shizu hasn't won any hands according to it, you can see she never took any damage in the 2nd round and only got directly ronned in the first hand of the first game.

While Awai may never have directly targeted her except for that first time, it's impressive that she hasn't shown any holes in her defense since then and only took damage from Tsumos.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 00:36   Link #2805
night_sentinel

I suppose that Shizu gets partial credit for not playing into any of those rons. But, considering that Awai is a bit fixated on Shindouji and she could choose who she rons, I'm hardly impressed.

Then, we also add the fact that Shizu knows when Himeko is going to win and its no wonder Shizu isn't going to be directly hit. But, as I've said, its not the most amazing feat considering all Shizu has to do is bail when Himeko has a key and not call Awai's attention to herself.
Old 2013-02-07, 01:54   Link #2806
The Green One

Knowing when Himeko is going to win is not the same as not showing a weakness for her to pounce on. Fighting Awai, Ryuuka, and Himeko at the same time without taking direct damage after the first time takes actual effort and skill. Any of them would ruthlessly pounce on a moment of weakness the minute it's shown, especially Ryuuka and Himeko who would be desperate for any advantage they can get over Awai. Give the monkey the credit she deserves.
Old 2013-02-07, 02:06   Link #2807
sandhy88
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

where I can get raw? I want to read it too.
sandhy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 02:21   Link #2808
Serperior

Apparently, Professor Seiko found a way to make Awai's ability useless.

Spoiler:

Also, I agree with that person who says about Awai's defenses. She uses riichi so her defense is basically 0%. Awai's offense is at 100% (4 guaranteed kan doras is basically cheating!) while her defense is 0%.

Whereas, Kuro's offense is at 80% while her defense is 20%. Kuro can still defend to a certain extend though.
Serperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 02:58   Link #2809
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Knowing when Himeko is going to win is not the same as not showing a weakness for her to pounce on. Fighting Awai, Ryuuka, and Himeko at the same time without taking direct damage after the first time takes actual effort and skill. Any of them would ruthlessly pounce on a moment of weakness the minute it's shown, especially Ryuuka and Himeko who would be desperate for any advantage they can get over Awai. Give the monkey the credit she deserves.
I did give Shizu the credit. But, we must also remember that out of all the players in this match, Shizu is the one who has the most information on her opponents and this is helping her to avoid getting hit. It also helps that this information is useful since Himeko and Awai have a pattern to their wins.

On Awai, she rons on the draws after the corners of the wall. Out of all of Awai's opponents, this info is only known to Shizu. Funaq only figured this out recently and was unable to tell Ryuuka. Beside that it seems that Awai can ron whoever she likes and thankfully for Shizu; she is not on Awai's radar.

Regarding Himeko, its a great advantage to know which turn she can win and when she cannot. At times, Himeko has a guaranteed win then Shizu only has to watch for Himeko's discard pool and not the others. In fact, the proper thing to do is to bail. And even irl mahjong, a bailing opponent is very hard to directly hit. Anyway, all of Himeko's opponent should already know this. And as we could see, Ryuuka and Shizu seems to be using the info. Awai, though, is a bit too gung ho which is why she's eating rons.

I do admit that monkey is doing good at not being directly hit. But, realistically the only one who would have an opportunity to hit monkey is Ryuuka since Ryuuka is the only one that do not have a winning pattern to watch out for. If I must give monkey credit, its that she has a good plan to survive and take advantage of the clash of titans from the info she knew.... oh wait this should be Harue's plan... err...

That said, I do get what your saying which is why I gave Monkey partial credits since she is the one implementing it and she must have at least have some skill to do so.
Old 2013-02-07, 03:42   Link #2810
atua

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
On Awai, she rons on the draws after the corners of the wall. Out of all of Awai's opponents, this info is only known to Shizu. Funaq only figured this out recently and was unable to tell Ryuuka.
I'm getting sick of Harue "Super Sleuth" Akado's inside info shtick. It's one thing if she notices stuff about a few players, but to have info on basically every single player is getting ridiculous. According to Sumire, Awai's only used her supernova move once before (in official tournaments). Top tier teams like Senriyama & Himematsu have coaches and associated pros who help out the team. I'm assuming Shiratodai is the same (although we haven't actually seen any on screen/in manga yet). And out of all these people, nobody noticed Sumire's tell, or Awai's corner tile wall trick? Or if those tells are so subtle, how did Harue notice them in the first place? And if she was so good at spotting tells, why didn't she give Kuro better advice for her Toki & Teru matches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Anyway, all of Himeko's opponent should already know this. And as we could see, Ryuuka and Shizu seems to be using the info. Awai, though, is a bit too gung ho which is why she's eating rons.
More proof that Awai's an idiot? Well, we basically knew that already. Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling Awai "weak". Her offensive skill is definitely strong. But she's such an idiot, and a let down after all the hype about her. Doubly disappointing for me because Ritz did very well with Teru (who had sky high expectations built up), so I was hoping for the same treatment with Awai.
atua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 03:57   Link #2811
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by atua View Post
I'm getting sick of Harue "Super Sleuth" Akado's inside info shtick. It's one thing if she notices stuff about a few players, but to have info on basically every single player is getting ridiculous. According to Sumire, Awai's only used her supernova move once before (in official tournaments). Top tier teams like Senriyama & Himematsu have coaches and associated pros who help out the team. I'm assuming Shiratodai is the same (although we haven't actually seen any on screen/in manga yet). And out of all these people, nobody noticed Sumire's tell, or Awai's corner tile wall trick? Or if those tells are so subtle, how did Harue notice them in the first place? And if she was so good at spotting tells, why didn't she give Kuro better advice for her Toki & Teru matches?
I think some people still haven't gotten over the initial impression that Harue is a lousy coach (I can't believe how crappy of a coach like her can top other more famous schools' in terms of intel) after how badly we have seen Kuro handled her matches against Toki and Teru. If anything, this chapter and ones about Sumire's tell shown how good of a coach she is the reason Miyamori's coach wanting to scount her in the first place.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 04:13   Link #2812
orangejuicetang

Actually, out of curiosity, how many pros have we seen that are associated with a team? Or pro-level, or whatever. Thinking about it, I wonder what level Harue actually is, since she stopped playing after losing to Kokaji-pro in the semifinals all those years ago, but then it turns out that Kokaji-pro went on to become the number 2 best player in the world who still remembers that one hand Harue won off her in the semifinals so I have no idea where I'm going with this.

But I digress, somewhat. From what I've gotten so far, the only two bits of info that she found out that other people don't know about is Sumire's tell and Awai's supernova (?). The other info like 'harvest' and 'fishing' seem to be more common knowledge, or at least the other players already knew about them. As for Teru and Toki, those two are just pretty hax on their own.

On a more unrelated note, I can't help but keep grouping Awai and Shizu together in my mind as 'the pair who loves shouting numbers like one hundred'

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 04:33   Link #2813
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
Actually, out of curiosity, how many pros have we seen that are associated with a team? Or pro-level, or whatever. Thinking about it, I wonder what level Harue actually is, since she stopped playing after losing to Kokaji-pro in the semifinals all those years ago, but then it turns out that Kokaji-pro went on to become the number 2 best player in the world who still remembers that one hand Harue won off her in the semifinals so I have no idea where I'm going with this.

But I digress, somewhat. From what I've gotten so far, the only two bits of info that she found out that other people don't know about is Sumire's tell and Awai's supernova (?). The other info like 'harvest' and 'fishing' seem to be more common knowledge, or at least the other players already knew about them. As for Teru and Toki, those two are just pretty hax on their own.

On a more unrelated note, I can't help but keep grouping Awai and Shizu together in my mind as 'the pair who loves shouting numbers like one hundred'
I think you forget Toki's 100 turns ahead.

Tell you something funny, I don't think there will be as much complaint if it's Hisa or Yumi instead of Harue who manages to gather these info. IMO, Hisa is the type that priortize more on improving her team's overall performence, while Harue focuses more on spotting weaknesses of the opposing teams. It's just the difference in their coaching style that's all.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 04:44   Link #2814
The Green One

Or maybe its the fact that we form our first impressions of the characters and will relentlessly cling to those impressions until the bitter end and DAMN WHAT THE MANGA SAYS OTHERWISE!!!

*cough* Excuse me.

Harue did a good job at getting the team prepared to the point to get this far when before she signed on as their coach they would of gotten annihilated in the 1st round of the prefecture tournament.

The girls themselves built on her lessons and sought out ways to improve on their own as well but lets face it, without Harue they would of been dead in the water early on and this would be Toki's side story instead.

Wait.....that's not a compelling argument....oh well.
Old 2013-02-07, 07:03   Link #2815
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
'
THIS!

I don't understand why people find it so hard to accept Harue skill. While she may be not good at coaching and lost her motivation for while - She's still have her skill as Achiga legendary player who acknowledged by number 2 best player in the world!. It can be implied that she has good game reading skill and good opponent analysis skill so, I find it believable that she saw something other pros/player didn't see.
Old 2013-02-07, 08:07   Link #2816
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

However..her knowing Sumire's tell by the video is a bit overboard since I don't think anyone would've noticed that. But eh, maybe it's just like you said it's part of her being pro and acknowledged by Kokaji that she could do that.

Quote:
Apparently, Professor Seiko found a way to make Awai's ability useless.
So her abilities are:
-Disrupting enemies hands
-DABURU RIICHII
-ron enemies who draw at the corner(?)
-kan/ura dora at the corner?

I don't know why but I can't stop imagining kAwai using car and drifting.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 10:03   Link #2817
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
-ron enemies who draw at the corner(?)
-kan/ura dora at the corner?
Heh. As if Achiga powers couldn't get any more gimmicky.
Old 2013-02-07, 13:21   Link #2818
King-Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Or maybe its the fact that we form our first impressions of the characters and will relentlessly cling to those impressions until the bitter end and DAMN WHAT THE MANGA SAYS OTHERWISE!!!

*cough* Excuse me.

Harue did a good job at getting the team prepared to the point to get this far when before she signed on as their coach they would of gotten annihilated in the 1st round of the prefecture tournament.

The girls themselves built on her lessons and sought out ways to improve on their own as well but lets face it, without Harue they would of been dead in the water early on and this would be Toki's side story instead.

Wait.....that's not a compelling argument....oh well.

This. And until what day or two ago we were calling Seiko a horrible mahjong player. Now everyone is calling her strong or a monster slayer. But too often people form an idea too quickly about someone and even after its proven wrong, they cling to it.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 13:49   Link #2819
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by King-Slayer View Post
This. And until what day or two ago we were calling Seiko a horrible mahjong player. Now everyone is calling her strong or a monster slayer.
I wonder if that little wall circle thing was the reason why Awai doesn't get along well with Seiko
Old 2013-02-07, 14:42   Link #2820
Fragment off
Reader or Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
I wonder if that little wall circle thing was the reason why Awai doesn't get along well with Seiko
It obviously is ,she as the right personality to be a bitter looser after all.

I saw in a trad that there is a least 10 people (other than seiko whith the no corner method) that can bypass Awai ability , Who can they be?

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri