AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 24 Rating
Perfect 10 22 13.17%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 8.98%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 11.38%
7 out of 10 : Good 39 23.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 16 9.58%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 14 8.38%
4 out of 10 : Poor 15 8.98%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.20%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 5 2.99%
1 out of 10 : Painful 20 11.98%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-09, 21:05   Link #101
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcaz2 View Post
I don't think people are expecting a 1:1 adaption- you obviously can't keep everything.

We're expecting DEEN to at least TRY to keep the mood and feel of the original. I mean, geez, there's stuff that wouldn't even take seconds to fix in the show, or could be fixed with a change of BGM or some better animation. They're just being ridiculously lazy.
Fair enough, it doesn't take much familiarity with the source to know that Deen is lazy and Kon Chikai is quite terrible. I'm also well aware how it would annoy the fans of the original by leaving key things that causes the story to make no sense. Some things like Eva apparently randomly solving the epitaph last arc would be plain insulting.

It's just that I'm the type to just consider stuff on its own and I just feel sometimes the criticism is a bit too harsh. A lot of it is deserved though. I suppose I'm a bit sensitive to the criticism because I like the Higurashi animes even though I'm certain it was a great show despite Deen and I felt that recieved a bit too much criticism despite the fact that I am aware of the idiotic directing in places. I sorta feel trapped in some endless cycle.

And the art and BGM parts are unacceptable.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2009-12-09, 21:16   Link #102
Ronove

Hmmm... just wondering. Are the way the victims are kill differ from the situation? I know area is a HUGE difference. Kyrie's death in the kitchen... may change a lot of minds; unless they make Gaap use her portals and move them "conveniently".

P.S. - I'm supposing it's hard for a company to keep the episodes exciting, makign things all smushed together? Speculation...
Old 2009-12-09, 21:23   Link #103
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronove View Post
Hmmm... just wondering. Are the way the victims are kill differ from the situation? I know area is a HUGE difference. Kyrie's death in the kitchen... may change a lot of minds; unless they make Gaap use her portals and move them "conveniently".

P.S. - I'm supposing it's hard for a company to keep the episodes exciting, makign things all smushed together? Speculation...
Nanjo is killed right next to Shannon and Krauss was killed when they entered the mansion, not when they were entering through the gate.
Old 2009-12-09, 21:27   Link #104
Ronove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
Nanjo is killed right next to Shannon and Krauss was killed when they entered the mansion, not when they were entering through the gate.
Ahh... so the place of death really does affect the story AND the anime. But we can always assume the Killer moved their body afterwards. So either way, I'm assuming Deen wants to make it as realistic, or he got tips from Ryu...
Old 2009-12-09, 22:06   Link #105
Arkwright

I don't really buy the line of thought, "you can't judge an anime separately from its status as an adaptation."

The only reason I read Umineko in the first place was because I enjoyed the Higurashi anime. And then much later, I read things like "Higurashi was a bad adaptation, particularly in the first season," but was I going to suddenly negatively change my opinion of the anime because of that? That would be foolish, I can't change the fact that I found something enjoyable. It may have been something different, but that's unrelated to the quality of the anime purely as an anime.

My friend will never read a VN in their life even if I strongly recommend it. I've been through this sort of thing even with simpler things like normal video games. They did, however, like the Higurashi anime, moreso the first season, because it was effective in creating an oppressive atmosphere especially in the first season.

As a result, if I were to decide whether or not to recommend the Umineko anime to this person, I would need to judge it purely as an anime, because how it compares to the VN will never be relevant to them.

That said, I have a hard time doing that and I think I can understand how people who read the Higurashi SN before watching the anime might have felt. The beginning felt like it flew by too fast and it took a while to get a grasp on the adaptation. And things like this episode make it difficult, but I think it does seem that in general the anime has been relatively lacking in atmosphere and characterization that might have made it enjoyable to watch for someone who will never read the VN. It just feels like a jumble of events shown in order.

This episode in particular repeats that problem where the events are reaching the climax but it doesn't really feel the part.
Old 2009-12-10, 00:04   Link #106
Isekaijin

No Goat-kun???

Jeez. Better Deen makes an entire OVA series with all the things it swallowed in the anime.
Old 2009-12-10, 00:21   Link #107
KanonTheFurniture
Witch's Golden Breaker

...this episode...

I-I can't even muster up a review right now. That was abhorrent.

I'm not even waiting for subs. 4/10 for ruining almost everything. I'm only giving it such a high rating at all because Ono and Ohara were still amazing, Beato's Engrish and Kinzo's OMGFIRE made me lol, and I liked Jessica's phone call. That's it. Everything else is...

...yeah, I need to take my mind off it for now and come back and review it later. Worst adaptation yet. At least during EP1 I was enjoying the character designs and voice acting when it was still a new series. I guess by now I should know better than to expect anything good from DEEN, but you know, I really enjoyed their adaptation of EP3 on the whole, and have so far enjoyed EP4 for the most part, except perhaps last week's episode. But this was just...it was like EP1 all over again, but worse, because this episode contained some of the most important scenes in the series so far.

Inexcusable.
Old 2009-12-10, 00:41   Link #108
underfell

Don`t know if this is a rumor or a fact, but the director of this chapter was different from the past chapters, and this will be the director of the final chapter(26).
Old 2009-12-10, 00:41   Link #109
StainGlass

Spoiler for Review:
Old 2009-12-10, 00:55   Link #110
Alaya
Counter Force

Raging DRAMA is raging...

BTW, I guess sub would be out quite late this week, since Kara no Kyoukai 7th movie (2 hours movie) also came out on the same day...

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.
Old 2009-12-10, 01:02   Link #111
Shamisen
Talking Cat

Not surprised they didn't include the whole Goat-kun scene really. It was basically a direct reference to those other dating VNs. I'll have to wait until the subs though since I have yet to watch it.

Does that mean there was no awesome Krauss fighting scene?
Old 2009-12-10, 01:18   Link #112
June 1983

Yeah, from what I've read it seems they didn't just cut out the Goat-kun aspect of it but the entire fight.
Old 2009-12-10, 01:41   Link #113
Arkwright

I also was not particularly bothered by the absence of the goat, but rather other things as well as the overall execution of the episode.

It would not have fit at all in the anime as it exists right now, and to be honest even in the VN I would probably have preferred if things were more Ep1-like even though exaggerating things is a part of the setting/story that developed.
Old 2009-12-10, 02:02   Link #114
MarshmallowAngela
The Princess of Retardia

Spoiler for review:
Old 2009-12-10, 02:53   Link #115
Geekodot

After raging for awhile and sleeping on it, I can now accept most of the cuts. Goat-kun would've been fun, but not necessary. The lack of furniture link is also a minor detail...

The one thing I absolutely CAN'T forgive about this episode though, is how they decided on not coloring the text for Battler's sin... in the worst case scenario, it can make anime watchers think that the whole sin is a trick to make Battler surrender again...
Old 2009-12-10, 06:11   Link #116
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Spoiler for Krauss:

Also, there are signs that this episode was rushed, more obvious than usual. Disappointing, for the season is just about to end...

Last edited by blaze0041; 2009-12-10 at 06:22.
Old 2009-12-10, 06:52   Link #117
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Well i'm no game player, and that episode was fantastic. Wtf ending is wtf times 100.
Old 2009-12-10, 09:05   Link #118
Tjaard
Welcome to Kourindou

Send a message via MSN to Tjaard
This epi pacing was pretty rushed, so they cutted many thing but i liked the animation on it too.
Happy for the gapgapgapgap, the golden land and for the phone calls, really good
Less happy for the cutted things but cause i don't like so much the Episode 4, isn't so bad for me
Old 2009-12-10, 11:05   Link #119
Luxa

As I haven't read the VNs, I gave the episode an 8, simply based on its own merits. It was decently paced, it had nice plot and the revelation at the and was quite shocking. For reference, I think I've been giving out 5-7s for the rest of EP4, from an anime-only viewpoint I found them lacking.
The only problem I have is that if the Battler committing a sin was really in red in the VN then it should be also in red here: right now we can think that Beatrice is just messing with Battler...
Who might not even be the original Battler, as he isn't the son of Asumu. But then where is the original son?
Old 2009-12-10, 11:17   Link #120
typhonsentra

What the hell Battler? Her qualification was for you to be Kinzo's grandson, he's not related to you through your mother! Ahh, I guess the shock was supposed to be too much for him to think about that but still.
Closed Thread