Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-09-13, 19:22   Link #1321
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
Oh, I wouldn't say so. The guy's been changing slowly here and there throughout the later half of the series. Also, I doubt they would be going through all of this in showing all the characters emotions and backstory and how much Rin is beginning to regret if they weren't going to do anything with it and come to some conclusion. And Free doesn't seem the type to come to a sad conclusion either. I think it's likely that all 5 might be if not friends, on their way to becoming so, by the show's end.
I guess that's where the relay probably comes in?
Old 2013-09-13, 22:05   Link #1322
Peanutbutter

Knowing it's Kyoani, it'll probably be some silly reason why Rin is like that now.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-16, 20:44   Link #1323
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

The little five minute movie was cute

Spoiler:
Old 2013-09-16, 21:02   Link #1324
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
The little five minute movie was cute
What little five minute movie??

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-16, 21:21   Link #1325
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Rin is the perfect example of a teenager; cute as a kid and then they grow up.
But as a kid he was using the team to relive his father's past glories. As a teenager he used his ex-friend as a benchmark to overcome so that he could go to bigger and better things. He's been using and discarding for a while now.

He's not my favorite character.

Also, what 5 minute movie?
Old 2013-09-17, 02:23   Link #1326
OZ7UP
Music for life.
*Author

* Makes a dramatic entrance after a long absence *

The 5-minute movie mentioned is an extra from the volume 1 DVD/BD. GDiddy got the gist of the first half of the segment - in order to prevent something like the fish tank incident from happening again, Makoto and Nagisa decided to conduct an experiment to determine Haru's temptation point so that they can predict and prevent his spontaneous stripping in the future. If you're wondering where to find it, look up the show's funny moments on TV Tropes.

* goes off to cook an early dinner so that he can hit the gym at 6am the following morning *
OZ7UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 05:31   Link #1327
mistress_kisara

Woah Free vol. 1 BD/DVD sold 25,726!! It sold better than any Kyoani series since K-on!

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=664041
mistress_kisara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 06:30   Link #1328
kuromitsu

That's not really surprising, though... well, at least I hope this will shut up those people who still claim that female fans don't spend enough money on anime so there's no reason to make shows for them. They just have to be well-made shows.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 08:35   Link #1329
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Will we see an era with a plethora of cute boys doing cute things?

Call it selfish, but I'm not sure I want that...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 08:38   Link #1330
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Why the hell did this became 5 minutes and 10 seconds long?!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 08:57   Link #1331
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post

I do. Not saying I'd watch most of it, but equal opportunity moe ftw! XD
Old 2013-09-17, 12:57   Link #1332
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:

If it's executed well, why not? Besides, the boys have had their fun with the countless ecchi, harem and generic female fanservice shows (most of which I usually enjoy watching regardless), I don't see why the girls can't have their fun once in a while as well, especially not if it makes them spend money on anime, manga, etc.

Besides, the stuff for the boys will never go away, but I encourage a more diverse selection of shows to pick from. Doesn't mean I'll actually watch them all, but if this show is any indication, I might be pleasantly surprised, as I am genuinely enjoying Free!

So yeah, I think it's high sales are definitely deserved.
Old 2013-09-17, 13:14   Link #1333
Konja7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
If it's executed well, why not? Besides, the boys have had their fun with the countless ecchi, harem and generic female fanservice shows (most of which I usually enjoy watching regardless), I don't see why the girls can't have their fun once in a while as well, especially not if it makes them spend money on anime, manga, etc.

Besides, the stuff for the boys will never go away, but I encourage a more diverse selection of shows to pick from. Doesn't mean I'll actually watch them all, but if this show is any indication, I might be pleasantly surprised, as I am genuinely enjoying Free!

So yeah, I think it's high sales are definitely deserved.

I totally agree.

PS: Although I always thought that women prefer to see cool boys doing cool things.
Konja7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 14:10   Link #1334
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:

I'm a little bit worried, because the anime industry tends to milk new types of successful content for all their worth, arguably driving quality into the ground over time by taking a simplistic "monkey see, monkey do" approach. I mean, just look at all the light novel adaptations we get now, many of which are of dubious quality, imo.

That being said, if shows aimed strictly at fujoshis don't exceed, say, 20 to 25% of what's out there on a per season basis, I don't see a problem with it. That's certainly not to say that I want 75 to 80% of anime to be ecchi, harem, and generic female fanservice shows - I'd prefer to see that kept down to a quarter or less as well. Its shows that aim for more than simple pandering of any sort that I usually like the best, shows like Madoka Magica, Psycho-Pass, Fate/Zero, Usagi Drop, and Shin Sekai Yori.

Free! itself is a well-made show, though, that I think has a good story to it. So I don't begrudge it its success. But the simplest interpretation for explaining success is often the one that entertainment industries go with, so I have my worries over the ideas that some anime studios might take from Free!'s success.
Old 2013-09-17, 14:28   Link #1335
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ7UP View Post
* Makes a dramatic entrance after a long absence *

The 5-minute movie mentioned is an extra from the volume 1 DVD/BD. GDiddy got the gist of the first half of the segment - in order to prevent something like the fish tank incident from happening again, Makoto and Nagisa decided to conduct an experiment to determine Haru's temptation point so that they can predict and prevent his spontaneous stripping in the future. If you're wondering where to find it, look up the show's funny moments on TV Tropes.

* goes off to cook an early dinner so that he can hit the gym at 6am the following morning *
What he said. I found it on a site that probably shouldn't have it XD

Quote:

I think we're already seeing that. Look at that series with the boys in glasses that's coming in a few weeks...

As long as it's written well, I"m on board with more cute boys. And as long as it's not as shitty as Diabolik Lovers.
Old 2013-09-17, 16:20   Link #1336
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
I think we're already seeing that. Look at that series with the boys in glasses that's coming in a few weeks...
That's not the result of Free, though. In fact, Free itself is the result of KyoAni hopping on a bandwagon. On the "shows about pretty boys for a primarily female audience" front just this year there was, so far: UtaPri 2000% (also sold like hotcakes), Hakkenden srs 1-2), Karneval, BroCon, Makai Ouji and of course Free. Sure, these are not, strictly speaking, "cute boys doing cute things" shows, but then again, neither is Free.
Old 2013-09-17, 17:34   Link #1337
Konja7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
That's not the result of Free, though. In fact, Free itself is the result of KyoAni hopping on a bandwagon. On the "shows about pretty boys for a primarily female audience" front just this year there was, so far: UtaPri 2000% (also sold like hotcakes), Hakkenden srs 1-2), Karneval, BroCon, Makai Ouji and of course Free. Sure, these are not, strictly speaking, "cute boys doing cute things" shows, but then again, neither is Free.
True, lately have been going pretty series with pretty boys groups, which are aimed primarily at a female audience.

Curious fact, it seems that Free is also popular among male fans in Japan (although I suppose that female fans are the majority).
Konja7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 17:47   Link #1338
Kirarakim

I am happy Free! sold so well if only to show up some misygonist jerks.

I also think it shows that it is worth to put effort into female productions that goes beyond good seiyuu. Lets face it series aimed at women rarely get the Kyoani production treatment.

Still I am not really sure how much of a trend this will start. As Kuromitsu has pointed out this isn't even a new trend. But while 25,000 is excellent, look at how Attack on Titans is selling.

Now when will someone license Free!?
Old 2013-09-17, 18:23   Link #1339
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
But while 25,000 is excellent, look at how Attack on Titans is selling.
Well, Attack on Titan is a mainstream anime that gets much more money, publicity, and has a more diverse target audience than even the KyoAni-powered Free. Shows targeting one specific demographic will never sell as much as shows that appeal to a wider audience.

As for the rise in female-targeted shows, it didn't start this year, but it's definitely promising. I'm not particularly "worried" about a sudden onslaught of pretty boy shows on the scale of moe/male otaku targeted anime; and in any case, the market will sort itself out. It's just good to see producers finally acknowledging women as a market force that's worth being directly catered to.
Old 2013-09-17, 18:32   Link #1340
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Well, Attack on Titan is a mainstream anime that gets much more money, publicity, and has a more diverse target audience than even the KyoAni-powered Free. Shows targeting one specific demographic will never sell as much as shows that appeal to a wider audience.
Actually mainstream anime doesn't tend to sell that well. The manga sells well but not necessarily the anime, so Titans success actually is a big surprise in my opinion.

edit: To bring this back to Free! I think it is good that other markets have success (in Free!'s case a female market) and in Titan's case a more mainstream market. I actually think one of the issues with the anime market is it was becoming too insular & niche and more and more of the same things were being made. So any outside success is a good thing to me.

Now while I enjoy both Free! and Titans, neither are favorite series of mine. Probably the series I like the best this season (Eccentric Family) isn't going to sell well but I still take whatever small victory I can get.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2013-09-17 at 18:43.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs, fabulous, sports, water animation