AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-01-24, 11:36   Link #2901
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
Kira in GSD shows less emotion, but it showed how much he has grown as a pilot learning that when he is agitated, he more likely to make mistakes looking back at EP39 where he took a real beating. However he did show a sense of urgency when flying into space to save her. Which shows how much she means to him by GSD not to mention the loving embrace....
Um, Kira in his prime... wouldn't get humiliated in Strike Rouge like that. But nonetheless, I'm open to this, Kusa-san's explanation is so underhanded because it spits at all three of 'em.

And then again, I'm leaning towards monster's explanation, that Kira is still not over Fllay's death, and in turn has affected him.

We see this urge to save from Kira, in ep13 of Destiny, and it's a shame that they didn't expand on this, it would've explained every action of Kira in Destiny: Kira now has a Savior Complex. He's fixated to save everyone, because of failure to save the people who meant something to him.
Old 2012-01-24, 11:46   Link #2902
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriolewinters View Post
Um, Kira in his prime... wouldn't get humiliated in Strike Rouge like that. But nonetheless, I'm open to this, Kusa-san's explanation is so underhanded because it spits at all three of 'em.
wouldn't really say Kira wasnt in his prime, seeing how he kept kicking even more ass in the Strike Freedom moments after, let's remember that Kira was fighting in a very outdated machine, and the only reason for him to launch in the Strike (with massive never-mentioned before boosters) was so he could get the Strike Freedom either way, Kira lost to the Plot, not his own skills i'd say

Quote:
And then again, I'm leaning towards monster's explanation, that Kira is still not over Fllay's death, and in turn has affected him.

We see this urge to save from Kira, in ep13 of Destiny, and it's a shame that they didn't expand on this, it would've explained every action of Kira in Destiny: Kira now has a Savior Complex. He's fixated to save everyone, because of failure to save the people who meant something to him.
Fllay's death wasnt mentioned in Destiny at all, wouldnt say it affected him that much, if anything in Destiny Kira accepted the fact that he needed to fight in a mobile suit to protect the people he cared for, Hence the " give me the keys " speech and him convincing Lacus to do so.
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 16:17   Link #2903
monster

Just to be clear, when I said Flay still affected Kira, I meant only in terms of how fast he's now willing to move the relationship with Lacus.

But as I said before, I don't think they had any plans for any subplot for Kira. So most of the interactions Kira has with Lacus in Destiny only serve to at least show that he does care for, if not love her. And you could also say Kira's failure at protecting Flay also plays some part in wanting to protect Lacus.

But I don't think Flay's influence on Kira is meant to be something pronounced, rather, it's something subtle and just in the background.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 18:27   Link #2904
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64

If I were to fix up the Kira/Lacus relationship, I would view Lacus as a surrogate mother for Kira. It's known that he never met his real mother (Via) while growing, but I'm not sure how close he was to his adoptive mother, since it's been a while that I watched Seed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
No I will say it again and again, until there is an official chart which siad the contrary : Kira love none of them in GS. And you can esasly explain that because the war broke him : Therefore he was unable to love. The fact that he want to save Flay so badly is easly explainable :

- Toll died before that and he thought it was his fault
- He made a promise to her : To protect her

There is no love in that, just a young boy who who was destroyed by the war mentally.

So, it's explainable and official.
See: Heero and Relena, as well as Loran and Dianna.
Old 2012-01-24, 23:03   Link #2905
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

HNNNG it took me 500 years to read through all this xD Couple of points I picked up along the way:

- I can't really explain the KiraxFllay dynamic any better than wingdarkness and aeriolewinters did here
and here
- Fllay being killed was an easy way out. It would've been much more effort (and possibly beyond Morosawas capabilities as a writer) to develop a plausible KiraxLacus if Fllay were alive. She even largely failed to do so despite that anyway.
As for the dead Fllay and KiraxLacus scenario, while I admit that there are very minor attempts to hint at something like this, there are ways to make this work. I allude to Final Fantasy 7 and how CloudxTifa never worked out and if it ever will would take years to happen.

- Lacus being a blatant Mary Sue for everyone to freely paste their faces onto, a Bella-style blank sheet is why her relationships don't appeal and wouldn't work long term- unless you're a fangirl and like to think so because you've long since pasted your own face onto her. The question isn't if Kira and Lacus are a couple, but how they are such an awful one.
Tbh, during Destiny, I did wonder if Kira and Lacus ruined each other into being the blank sheets they were in GSD.

I also find that Morosawa intended KiraxLacus to be this epic couple- this is obvious from the OP shoving it in our faces since episode 1, but their lives together range from occasional comfort-seeking to shopping scenes- this isn't some sappy teen soap, and even these would be ashamed to call this epic.
If anything, shouldn't KiraxLacus have started as another one-sided relationship of necessity and grown into something real from there?
LacusxKira totally COULD'VE been epic and I wanted them to but I was sorely disappointed with how they turned out.

Oh, and apparently an "ideal relationship" or "old marriage" is quietly co-existing? Isn't that just what ordinary people want you to think is the desirable endgame? Isn't that the reason why old men end up cheating or using prostitutes?
Wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Apparently the happiest and most fulfilling marriages are those that keep the passion alive until ripe old age. Just saying.

Unrelated: Washu-Chan I kept meaning to ask where the quote in your sig is from and if there's more? I really want to read this xD

Also, it's 4am here. I'm sorry for anything that's incoherent x_x

Last edited by Faerie; 2012-01-25 at 07:35.
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 23:28   Link #2906
monster

Whether Lacus and Kira's relationship would appeal to everybody is never a question. Of course, some people wouldn't like it and some people would. But to say that their relationship won't work because they don't have the "dynamic" of some other couple is just ridiculous. If we can establish that they do care for each other, then it's extremely plausible for their relationship to work.
Old 2012-01-24, 23:33   Link #2907
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
If we can establish that they do care for each other, then it's extremely plausible for their relationship to work.
Except this is not real life, this is fiction. And for fiction to work, you'd have to develop it properly.
Old 2012-01-24, 23:42   Link #2908
monster

Quote:
Except this is not real life, this is fiction. And for fiction to work, you'd have to develop it properly.
That's only true if their relaionship is the end goal of the story, but it's not in Destiny. Don't think of Lacus and Kira's relationship in Destiny as the same as Kira and Flay's in SEED. Think of them more like Andrew and Aisha's relationship in SEED. You accept that they are a couple and move on because the story is not about their relationship.
Old 2012-01-25, 00:06   Link #2909
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Um, Kira in his prime... wouldn't get humiliated in Strike Rouge like that.
What ? This is the first time I see/heard this particular complain.

You do know that Gouf Ignited (which kira fought with Strike Rouge) is already way better than the old Strike model, right? Cagalli was able to survive that far with Rouge simply coz she was protected by Freedom & Murasame squadron (if not, she’ll be killed 100 times already). So, I don’t think Kira humiliated himself there. Not to mention that there’s a whole platoon of those Goufs. He lost the fight due to simple logic: One outdated suit can't win against a group of more advanced suits. The first time I see Kira fought those Goufs with Strike, I knew he’d be owned. I mean, do you seriously hope Kira to win that particular battle?
Old 2012-01-25, 00:14   Link #2910
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
One outdated suit can't win against a group of more advanced suits.
Setsuna and his flag Facepalms at this
Old 2012-01-25, 00:32   Link #2911
monster

Kira performed well with the Strike Rouge until he had to protect the Eternal against a Gunner Zaku Warrior's beam cannon. The Strike's shield simply couldn't withstand the shot, there's nothing Kira could do about that.
Old 2012-01-25, 00:35   Link #2912
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Setsuna and his flag Facepalms at this
Setsuna and his Flag? You do know that Flag is not an outdated suit when the Gundams first appear don’t you? Also, one Flag still can’t stand against a group of Gundams which still prove my point (imagine the slaughter). I mean, even 0 Gundam is lost to a single Exia in 00 second season.
Old 2012-01-25, 00:37   Link #2913
Washu-Chan