AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-04-07, 18:56   Link #18081
Flere821
Lurker

*raises eyebrow*

Do we actually know what Othinus' skillset actually is, apart from the Magic God and 50% chance thing? Thus far we haven't even seen any of her skills correspond with the Norse god Odin, just that she wears a eyepatch and she wants to get her hands on Gungnir. Anybody can fit that description just by putting on a eyepatch and wants a legendary spear >.> *Imagines Tsuchimikado with a eyepatch*

Really, linking Ragnarok into Othinus' demise is pure conjecture at this point, probably just as canon as Cyber=Kakine a while back. Most of us thought that would be how Fridge-kun comes back with a vengeance (Nayuta in SS, and also Dark Matter suits in WW3), but then NT4 comes along and shows us Dark Matter can be turned into humanly-compatible flesh of sorts >.>
Old 2012-04-08, 13:11   Link #18082
desrtsku
Nympholept

Date Masamune Jr lol

^ now that you mention it, with his new Dark Matter Powers isn't it actually possible for Kakine to "revive" now? Man, they can create hearts, Brains and dinosaur sized body with a tiny portion of dark matter. Having his brain split in three seems to be trivial matters with such a broken power >.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.D
The only assumption here is that her power is connected to, or is the same as, Odin, which isn't that bad if you consider the general Nordic Gods theme and her eyepatch. If that assumption were true then Odin's weakness must be applicable to Othinus. Even a magic god is bounded by the rules of magic. As a supposedly "perfect balanced being", her odds in everything is a balanced 50/50 instead of some variable number like Ollerus'

She is doing exactly that, improving her odds to more than 50/50 by creating Odin's weapon despite catastrophic side effects. There fact that she's doing it means that she's still bounded to the rules of magic, despite her knowledge of grimoires and such.
wth ?

-She is doing exactly that?!!! : no Chaos was talking about using her Majin skills to make up for the Odin weakness. Like everyone already pointed it, 50/50 is not related to Odin but to Majin = you're talking about using something related to Odin to make up for a Majin's weakness = that's totally different so you point doesn't make sense.
-Side effects?!! : it's not like Gungnir caused any catastrophe in the Norse Mythology , and please don't think of Brunhild's killing intents and corresponding ravages when using a Divine weapon as mere side effects of the said weapon.
- improving her odds to more than 50/50 : thinking about it deeply, Gungnir is a weapon that (when it's thrown) always strikes the target successfully *cough*Gae Bolg*cough* regardless of the user or the target's skills/experience/abilities, meaning any possibility of "failure" when using it doesn't actually exist ; so it doesn't seem like the 50/50 really improved ... more like "avoided", and it doesn't have anything to do with "Odin mimicking" either if we think about it . That also explains quite a lot about why Othinus wants it so much >.>
-If that assumption were true then Odin's weakness must be applicable to Othinus. Even a magic god is bounded by the rules of magic ... WTH?!!! : ok ok, where in your "rule of Magic" is said that a Odin-like magician must lose against a Fenrir-like creature even if he/she has another non-Odin like skills capable of defeating it too? (think about how Acqua blocked Itsuwa's first Saint Killer strike, or Kanzaki's paradigm shift-like fighting style, etc ...)
I mean even if Fenrir laughs at the sight of Gungnir and a random Odin replica, it still has a 50% odd of getting single handedly pwnd by a certain blond loli (I'll repeat it, 50/50 isn't one of Odin's characteristics but that of a Majin so there's nothing to prove that Fenrir can overcome it).
Old 2012-04-08, 15:28   Link #18083
leukrota

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
I mean even if Fenrir laughs at the sight of Gungnir and a random Odin replica, it still has a 50% odd of getting single handedly pwnd by a certain blond loli (I'll repeat it, 50/50 isn't one of Odin's characteristics but that of a Majin so there's nothing to prove that Fenrir can overcome it).
What about a very lucky person (Saint?) using a Fenrir spiritual item?

... Speaking of which, what could a Fenrir spiritual item be?... a giant mud wolf golem?

Anyway, I'll place once again my bet that Othinus is red haired and not blonde.
Old 2012-04-08, 18:06   Link #18084
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post
Red hair? What makes you think that?

... Though if she really does have red hair I'll almost be convinced she's Stiyl's long lost sister lol... (Stiyl is sort of a prodigy with Norse runes, making two new ones himself as mentioned in the 1st Volume)
Old 2012-04-08, 19:30   Link #18085
leukrota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
Nothing in particular really, just a hunch.

Well, since the color of her hair hasn't been described yet, it still could be any (even purple I guess).

Anyway, Norse gods were usually depicted with either blonde or red hair since darker colors were regarded as ugly by the ancient Scandinavians...

I would use red hair for it is more exotic, but that's just me... At the end of the day, it could go either way, so I'd say it's about 50/50 (Wait, maybe she has both colors... XD)

Quote:
... Though if she really does have red hair I'll almost be convinced she's Stiyl's long lost sister lol...
It would be a funny twist if something like that was revealed.
Old 2012-04-09, 02:24   Link #18086
zaeraal

Quote:

... Though if she really does have red hair I'll almost be convinced she's Stiyl's long lost sister lol... (Stiyl is sort of a prodigy with Norse runes, making two new ones himself as mentioned in the 1st Volume)
Stiyl is actually blond haired. He dyed his hair red.
Old 2012-04-09, 02:42   Link #18087
cybykillers

Is there somewhere where I can find the release dates for upcoming Light Novels?
Old 2012-04-09, 04:31   Link #18088
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybykillers View Post
Is there somewhere where I can find the release dates for upcoming Light Novels?
Not really, u tend to have to look for twitter and blog posts.

Aside from those u can try stalking the publisher websites, though they only reveal titles one month ahead.
Old 2012-04-09, 04:44   Link #18089
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

For Dengeki Bunko though, they do their releases 2 month in advance. It's estimated to be in August given that the release cycle for Index is March, August and December.
Old 2012-04-09, 04:57   Link #18090
desrtsku
Nympholept

^ 10th is tomorrow, any chance we got news from that?

Quote:
... Speaking of which, what could a Fenrir spiritual item be?... a giant mud wolf golem?
Spoiler for Holy crack:

Quote:
Heretics ... no one here comprehends the complexity, the substance and the beauty of the blond loli genre >.>
If only she has a bet she has a twintails hairstyle
Old 2012-04-09, 05:11   Link #18091
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Quote:
^ 10th is tomorrow, any chance we got news from that?
Don't think so. The release dates up till now are until 10th June. Dengeki Bunko normally releases novels on the 10th each month. But Kamachi already has this: インテリビレッジの座敷童 and this: ヘヴィーオブジェクト 第三世代への道 to be released in May and June respectively

Quote:
Heretics ... no one here comprehends the complexity, the substance and the beauty of the blond loli genre >.>
I'll take her to be the daughter of Date Masamune.
Old 2012-04-09, 05:51   Link #18092
leukrota

Quote:
Spoiler for Holy crack:
LOL, That's a way cuter Fenrir than what I had in mind.

Quote:
Hmm... well, I would not be surprised if she has twin braids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
That reminds me of the Final Fantasy series. Odin there looks a lot more like a samurai than a viking.
Old 2012-04-09, 05:55   Link #18093
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Don't think so. The release dates up till now are until 10th June. Dengeki Bunko normally releases novels on the 10th each month. But Kamachi already has this: インテリビレッジの座敷童 and this: ヘヴィーオブジェクト 第三世代への道 to be released in May and June respectively
In other word he'll release 3 volumes in 3 months ... hmm, impressive. Anyway thanks for the tips.

Quote:
^ fine with me, it's even better if Gunha was actually Sanada Yukimura's descendant
Old 2012-04-09, 08:37   Link #18094
Sumeragi
Banned

A thought: Given how the Kamijou family seems to be as well off as the Misaka family, could it be that the sole reason Touma lacks money is the amount of allowance he receives? Mikoto doesn't seem to have the same kind of trouble (could be that she either has a much higher allowance, or has access to her own account).
Old 2012-04-09, 08:39   Link #18095
Ilidsor
Angelerator

^ I think it's more that he has to feed Index, which probably takes almost all of his money.
Old 2012-04-09, 08:43   Link #18096
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilidsor View Post
^ I think it's more that he has to feed Index, which probably takes almost all of his money.
And all the bills from shenanigans.

Believer of the Great Sumeragi.

One Does Not Simply Make Touma A Good Protagonist ~ The Truth.

"Kyon has set his 'enemy that must be defeated' to be 'bad writing' of the world. The more there is, the stronger his Holy Crack " ~ Chaos2Frozen.
Old 2012-04-09, 08:54   Link #18097
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilidsor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kyon View Post
And all the bills from shenanigans.
He seemed pretty bad off even before Index came around.
Old 2012-04-09, 08:58   Link #18098
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
He seemed pretty bad off even before Index came around.
It's not hard to imagine some of those money gets 'lost in transition'...
Old 2012-04-09, 09:02   Link #18099
ellifeedn
Thinker

In the Railgun manga, you see him almost lose his card to the machine.
Old 2012-04-09, 09:16   Link #18100
leukrota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
A thought: Given how the Kamijou family seems to be as well off as the Misaka family, could it be that the sole reason Touma lacks money is the amount of allowance he receives? Mikoto doesn't seem to have the same kind of trouble (could be that she either has a much higher allowance, or has access to her own account).
I've wondered about that too... I don't remember if the issue has ever been explained in the novels, but I think it's probable that level 4-5 students have a scholarship and a decent living expenses grant. Or at very least the level 5, considering how any school boarding them can use their image for prestige.

EDIT: Ah, seems like I'm missing the point. Touma's family doesn't seem to be poor indeed... Maybe his allowance is short as a decision to "man him up" or something.

Last edited by leukrota; 2012-04-09 at 09:26.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen