AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 15
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 45 24.86%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 46 25.41%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 49 27.07%
7 out of 10 : Good... 24 13.26%
6 out of 10 : Average... 6 3.31%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.55%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 5 2.76%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 2 1.10%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.55%
1 out of 10 : Tortuous... 2 1.10%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-10-15, 20:04   Link #401
Vsin
Aldracity

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Yeah, I've been trying to avoid dwelling on the OP/ED too much because it seems to give away a lot of little things... (ah crap -- didn't do that on purpose!). But there's certainly a lot that could be speculated about -- probably best for the Speculation thread, I guess.
Ehhh, more like the OP is teasing people who have read the LNs without actually letting anybody else know what's going on. It's kinda like how OP1 teased The Gleameyes - you know the fight exists, but aren't told of the context.

Anyways...I dunno, I consider NTR to be a "bad ending". To me, it's not NTR if the bad situation eventually gets resolved. That's just generic trauma.
Vsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 20:06   Link #402
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsin View Post
Ehhh, more like the OP is teasing people who have read the LNs without actually letting anybody else know what's going on. It's kinda like how OP1 teased The Gleameyes - you know the fight exists, but aren't told of the context.
It's definitely a spoiler OP, but the other promotional material in magazines and such had the same spoilers. 'Tis a shame when they spoil story developments like that. This episodes cliffhanger was null because of the OP.
Old 2012-10-15, 20:22   Link #403
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
I think we could’ve gone without introducing Sugou as the new antagonist right away. That was pretty fast and pretty in your face.
Eh I don't particularly agree considering SAO's story seems to be largely driven by "The Villain Makes the Plot" trope. Considering if it wasn't for Kayaba, nothing like this would have ever happened in the first place. In tandem, if it wasn't for Sugou, Kazuto probably wouldn't know what he had to do to save Asuna.

My problem is that I think Sugou was a bit exaggerated as an antagonist. He didn't necessarily need to be a slimeball in order for him to get in Kazuto's way. Just the fact he's engaged to Asuna in the first place should to be more than enough reason for Kazuto to want to save her from whatever is going on considering their relationship.

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2012-10-15 at 21:11.
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 21:05   Link #404
Insane
Banned

I'm just feeling rather weird of this eps. Couldn’t Kirito just tell Asuna’s dad about the creepy fuck death treats? or provoke him on discussion again just this time record it with a phone or something.

But i guess our MC is not that bright in this series (why?) and will probably try to solve it though the game.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 21:07   Link #405
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Eh I don't particularly agree considering SAO's story seems to be largely driven by "The Villain Makes the Plot" trope. Considering if it wasn't for Kayaba, nothing like this would have ever happened in the first place. In tandem, if it wasn't for Sugou, Kazuto probably wouldn't know what he had to do to save Asuna.

My problem is that I think Sugou was a bit exaggerated as an antagonist. He didn't necessarily need to be a slimeball in order from him to get in Kazuto's way. Just the fact he's engaged to Asuna in the first place should to be more than enough reason for Kazuto to want to save her from whatever is going on considering their relationship.
While I dont disagree that he wasnt introduced too early, I think he might be holding on to the Villian Ball by revealing what he's really like to Kirito so dam quick. It's like "Hey, I'm a scumbag who plans on forcing you away from the love of your life for shits and giggles, I'm gonna make you do everything in your power to stop my plans." Yeah, taunt the hero, that always works.

I dont think he's exaggerated as an antagonist. I kinda think he DOES need to be a slimeball to get in Kazuto's way because if he was any kind of respectable man, he wouldnt: A.) Even consider any of this with a young girl, much less one who hates him, B.) Try this with a girl who's in a COMA, and I'm not too sure about this one cause I'm unsure of how things are in Japan, even if it was an arranged marriage ceremony or whatever it is he's planning, he wouldnt stand in the way of Kazuto and Asuna being together.

Quote:
I'm just feeling rather weird of this eps. Couldn’t Kirito just tell Asuna’s dad about the creepy fuck death treats? or provoke him on discussion again just this time record it with a phone or something.

But i guess our MC is not that bright in this series (why?) and will probably try to solve it though the game.
He could try to tell her father, it would just be Kazuto's word against Suguo's, and Kazuto is a bit of a shut in, so his word isnt worth much. He could try to provoke Suguo into blabbing into a recording. but I dont think he's ever gonna see the creep again in person. I think he is pretty bright by just avoiding useless conflict and not making himself look bad in Asuna's father's eyes.
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 21:08   Link #406
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:

Well, for informing Asuna's father, he'd have to choose who to believe--the boy he knows as Asuna's friend in the game who he's known for two months, or the guy who's "like family" and a skilled, important member of his company, and who he's likely known for much, much longer?

Kirito could try and provoke him again, but that's unlikely to happen. He'd have a hell of a time trying to get to Sugou's workplace, and if they met at the hospital again, Sugou may just have him thrown out, leaving little chance for a recording. And if Sugou's smart, he'd probably know what Kirito was trying to accomplish if he did start provoking him.

Last edited by Rising Dragon; 2012-10-15 at 21:09. Reason: One day I'll remember to quote posts in really active threads. One day.
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 21:16   Link #407
Reek of Blood
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Reek of Blood
Quote:

Probably because; Firstly, Kirito is essentially a stranger to Asuna’s family. That should already be a large enough obstacle to claiming their daughter is being held up in some crazy conspiracy theory.

Secondly, status is an issue because while in SAO, Kirito may be the most baller swordsman to grace the plane of existence, in the real world, Kirigaya Kazuto is a sickly, rehabilitating highschooler who has been in a coma for two years and comes from a family of modest means. At the very least, they would be hesitant to take the things he says at face value because of the trauma he went through.

Asuna’s family on the other hand, has high standing in society. Anything Kirito has to say is already diminished by factors outside of his control. He, the smart kid he is, realizes his only chance, slim as it is, is to work out a solution, gain a foothold of some sort, in the only place where is he undoubtedly exceptional: in VRMMOs.

Even if a MC wasn’t so intelligent, why would that make their story any less interesting?
If anything, wouldn’t it be even more amazing that they manage to accomplish things that are story worthy?
Reek of Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 21:35   Link #408
Insane
Banned

There's something bugging me.

Kirito's imouto = Kirino?
Old 2012-10-15, 21:37   Link #409
Divini
Senpai!

Yes, same VA, Taketatsu Ayana

I'm surprised Kirito didn't pull the "Ore no imouto..." line yet
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 22:57   Link #410
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaneo View Post
I dont think he's exaggerated as an antagonist. I kinda think he DOES need to be a slimeball to get in Kazuto's way because if he was any kind of respectable man, he wouldnt: A.) Even consider any of this with a young girl, much less one who hates him, B.) Try this with a girl who's in a COMA, and I'm not too sure about this one cause I'm unsure of how things are in Japan, even if it was an arranged marriage ceremony or whatever it is he's planning, he wouldnt stand in the way of Kazuto and Asuna being together.
The only reason I feel the writer of the story gave Sugou the "Villain Ball" as you said, was because he wanted the viewers to throw all hate onto him. The only way to do that easily was to give him a silly exaggerated scene that showed how obviously evil he is. He could have been just indifferent about marriage and still be in the way, not because of his personal interests, but for the needs of business. Asuna's parents are just as much to blame for this as Sugou is too. Just why do we have to hate this guy specifically?

I just think Sugou could have been handled a bit more creatively. That's all.
Old 2012-10-16, 05:01   Link #411
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divini View Post
Yes, same VA, Taketatsu Ayana

I'm surprised Kirito didn't pull the "Ore no imouto..." line yet
Chances are there's already fan art of OreImo's volume 1 of the light novel with Kazuto and Suguha

If not...that can be arranged
Old 2012-10-16, 05:18   Link #412
Hyack

DAT OP SONG, DA BEST!! <3

http://youtu.be/Tkaum_uuGtU
Hyack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 07:46   Link #413
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
I just think Sugou could have been handled a bit more creatively. That's all.
And how are you certain that your image of "creative" portrayal wouldn't have simply be "boring"?

Giving us a punch bag is a tried-and-true safe bet.
Old 2012-10-16, 07:58   Link #414
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
And how are you certain that your image of "creative" portrayal wouldn't have simply be "boring"?

Giving us a punch bag is a tried-and-true safe bet.
While I enjoy a villian to hate, I prefer smart villians. This guy seems like he's gonna hang himself for the sake of being a jerkass. I hope I'm wrong though, I enjoy seeing smart villians get out-played.
Old 2012-10-16, 08:16   Link #415
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Spoiler for Comparison to Nikita:

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-10-16 at 15:42. Reason: Please use spoiler tags for comparisons
Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 08:17   Link #416
Insane
Banned

Somehow i feel that Sugou is just a psychopath with a desire for power, a type that is all too common in both fiction and in real life. I’m not arguing that complex villains, which Sugou is most definitely not and Kayaba arguably was, aren’t endearing and help in telling a good story, but I’ve never felt that all villains should be that way. Sometimes it’s nice to have an antagonist whose easy to hate, making their eventual defeat all the more rewarding and satisfying.
Old 2012-10-16, 08:23   Link #417
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

To be fair, sometimes people in the real world have simple motivations and are just petty. I've been on the receiving end of people who, while not quite up to Sugou's level of douchbaggery, were nevertheless real asshats who shat on others to move up. I recently got demoted by my manager to become a grunt order taker, merely because he doesn't like me - and when another department in our company headhunted me, he blocked the transfer, saying he had other plans for me (i.e. attempted punishment by humiliation, as well as a promise that my career was effectively over).

*shrug* tl;dr people in the real world are asshats.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 08:29   Link #418
Dark Wing

Quote:
While I enjoy a villian to hate, I prefer smart villians. This guy seems like he's gonna hang himself for the sake of being a jerkass. I hope I'm wrong though, I enjoy seeing smart villians get out-played.
I don't know I think he's fairly intelligent. After all he's playing Asuna's family well enough in order to work his way into becoming the head of their company for power, money, and prestige. Not for shits and giggles as some people make it out to be. He may not be a magnificent bastard but he is a schemer nonetheless he just enjoys it a little too much.
Old 2012-10-16, 10:15   Link #419
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I don't know I think he's fairly intelligent. After all he's playing Asuna's family well enough in order to work his way into becoming the head of their company for power, money, and prestige. Not for shits and giggles as some people make it out to be. He may not be a magnificent bastard but he is a schemer nonetheless he just enjoys it a little too much.
Oh I have no doubt he's extremely intelligent. Just that most people like him put satisfying their douchebag urges ahead of the success of whatever it is they are planning. Then when their plans fall apart they wonder where they went wrong.

Hopefully he'll be able keep the act he has up around Asuna's father up. I like to see the villian have a fair amount of success, makes the hero look that much better.
Old 2012-10-16, 10:23   Link #420
Vmem

Quote:
Oh I have no doubt he's extremely intelligent. Just that most people like him put satisfying their douchebag urges ahead of the success of whatever it is they are planning. Then when their plans fall apart they wonder where they went wrong.

Hopefully he'll be able keep the act he has up around Asuna's father up. I like to see the villian have a fair amount of success, makes the hero look that much better.
the issue with having a good villan is that they always have a fatal flaw that will allow the MC to win. I mean if you just look at his position with relation to the Yuuki family and the Recto company, it's hard to think of anyway Kirito can win if Sugou played his cards carefully
Vmem is offline   Reply With Quote