AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2013-02-12, 01:44   Link #1441
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzac View Post
Some excellent discussion here. Though I don't quite agree with the impression that the writers are out to sabotage each other.
That probably wasn't the actual intention, but that's sure as hell what it feels like sometimes.
Quote:
It's a collaborative effort, and they'd be pretty blind not to see these so-called "invalidations" without some justification.
Tonokawa's pretty blind then.
Spoiler for Terra/Chihaya:

This on top of Shizuru's ending makes me think that he read some kind of summary or early draft of what Romeo had in mind for Terra, misinterpreted a huge amount of it, and wrote his routes based on that.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 01:50   Link #1442
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I'm pretty sure each writer schedule was quite tight for them to have meetings for discussing what they planned to do, although it is quite obvious that Tanaka made so everyone would have their personal touch in there, which actually backfired with Tonokawa.
I wouldn't say they didn't care for whatever the others were doing, but in Tonokawa's case, he pretty much wrote Shizuru and Chihaya's route without having Terra in mind.
Old 2013-02-12, 01:50   Link #1443
Balzac
Assistant Professor

Hmm, so basically some people read the heroine routes in the order of a "zig-zag" (if you'll forgive the crummy illustrations):
Free route (in most cases Kotori's)>unlocked route>back to free route>unlocked route
Or free>unlocked>unlocked>free
Lucia's is of course unique, having a potential variation in read order.
(Chime in if your experience was different)

While I read in the rigid order of "Unlocked" and "Unlockable", basically through chunks
[[Kotori>Chihaya>Lucia]]>[[Akane>Sizuru]]
(List from interesting to uninteresting heroine)

These are interesting observations as it pertains to the overall reader experience regarding reception of information and the flow of impressions going from one route to the next, among other factors.

Other orders have Lucia read first, though I don't think I've read a perspective from that since everyone seems to gravitate to the childhood friend...

EDIT: As regards Chihaya/Tonokawa

Spoiler for Spoilers:

Last edited by Balzac; 2013-02-12 at 02:04.
Balzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 01:56   Link #1444
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Well, I sandwiched what I was told beforehand were the bad and irrelevant routes in the middle, going Kotori --> Chihaya --> Shizuru --> Lucia --> Akane, deliberately trying to end on a high note and give myself a more positive impression of the game as a whole.
It worked.
Old 2013-02-12, 01:57   Link #1445
Mcfart

Quote:
Hmm, so basically some people read the heroine routes in the order of a "zig-zag" (if you'll forgive the crummy illustrations):
Free route (in most cases Kotori's)>unlocked route>back to free route>unlocked route
Or free>unlocked>unlocked>free
Lucia's is of course unique, having a potential variation in read order.
(Chime in if your experience was different)

While I read in the rigid order of "Unlocked" and "Unlockable", basically through chunks
[[Kotori>Chihaya>Lucia]]>[[Akane>Sizuru]]
(List from interesting to uninteresting heroine)

These are interesting observations as it pertains to the overall reader experience regarding reception of information and the flow of impressions going from one route to the next, among other factors.

Other orders have Lucia read first, though I don't think I've read a perspective from that since everyone seems to gravitate to the childhood friend...
I avoided Lucia because she presents herself as sterotypical tsundre right from the get-go. Basically an amped Sasami. Tho I did her's before Chihaya's because..............because?

Also I deny your allegations that people gravitate for the childhood friend. My first ending was actually the bad ending at the end of the Common route because I tried and failed to do Akane's route first (no FAQ) .

edit: So yes, I forgot that I actually attempted Akane's route, but in the end Kotori's was better anyway.
Mcfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 02:10   Link #1446
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcfart View Post
I avoided Lucia because she presents herself as sterotypical tsundre right from the get-go. Basically an amped Sasami. Tho I did her's before Chihaya's because..............because?

Also I deny your allegations that people gravitate for the childhood friend. My first ending was actually the bad ending at the end of the Common route because I tried and failed to do Akane's route first (no FAQ) .

edit: So yes, I forgot that I actually attempted Akane's route, but in the end Kotori's was better anyway.
Yes and Yes.

Lucia's generic Tsundereness drove me away from wanting to do her route first as well.

And I also got the bad ending first...though I was trying for a Shizuru route.

Honestly, my initial sequence was going to be Shizuru > Akane > Kotori > Chihaya > Lucia simply because I didn't use a walkthrough and was going from favorite character to least favorite.
Spoiler for Shizuru Route:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 02:16   Link #1447
Balzac
Assistant Professor

I commented on this long ago in this thread, but one "turn-off" for Lucia personally was her voice actress. It got too shrill sometimes in the Common Route. Comparing to Kotori's or Akane's performance - there was a noticeable difference in the measurement of... fathoms? Light years?

Also because I support KotaxKoto. And KotaXAka to a slightly lesser extent. (BANZAI!)
Old 2013-02-12, 02:23   Link #1448
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Personally I was really impressed by her voice actress due to her ability to, uh, keep up with what was being written. Obviously she's not on the level of someone like Chiwa Saitou or even KitaEri, but I thought she was still very good.
Spoiler for Terra, regarding pairings:
Old 2013-02-12, 02:58   Link #1449
Mcfart

Quote:
I commented on this long ago in this thread, but one "turn-off" for Lucia personally was her voice actress. It got too shrill sometimes in the Common Route. Comparing to Kotori's or Akane's performance - there was a noticeable difference in the measurement of... fathoms? Light years?

Also because I support KotaxKoto. And KotaXAka to a slightly lesser extent. (BANZAI!)
OH GOD YOU'RE RIGHT! I bet she's the reason (not really) that individual character voice volumes can be changed. I lowered hers by 20% and it was just fine. I was pretty sure her VA was the same as Sasami's, and Sasami's voice didn't bother me THAT much. Waay too loud and shrill when she's in angry-mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Personally I was really impressed by her voice actress due to her ability to, uh, keep up with what was being written. Obviously she's not on the level of someone like Chiwa Saitou or even KitaEri, but I thought she was still very good.
Spoiler for Terra, regarding pairings:
Spoiler for Lucia/Rewrite Ending Spoilers:
Old 2013-02-12, 03:42   Link #1450
Balzac
Assistant Professor

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Heroine Spoilers:
Old 2013-02-12, 04:21   Link #1451
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
I was pretty sure her VA was the same as Sasami's, and Sasami's voice didn't bother me THAT much.
Er, no. Sasami's VA is Tomeo Tamiyasu, the same woman who voices Riki and Rin. Lucia's VA is an almost complete unknown named Risa Asaki; she has a minor role in the PS3 version of Umineko Chiru, as well as a bunch of other minor roles in a variety of video games.
Quote:
Spoiler for Rewrite Ending Spoilers:
...Screw you?
Spoiler for Terra:

Last edited by Tyabann; 2013-02-12 at 12:27.
Old 2013-02-12, 04:33   Link #1452
Kirayuki

Regarding Lucia's seiyuu, it's to be expected. Why are people comparing her with monsters like Chiwa Saitou (or even KitaEri) here ? Frankly I wouldn't even love Kotori if it wasn't Chiwa Saitou who voiced her. Risa Asaki does fine in her job, not the best, but probably enough to get through with.

And god knows why Kagari get the shaft, despite KotaXKagari pairing is pretty important to the whole plot. You have to wonder what would happen to humanity as a whole if KotaXKagari pairing didn't exist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Spoiler for Chihaya Route Rant:
Wait until Harvest Festa for this...there are some cookies in store for you
Quote:
Also, as regards Harvest Festa, there's nothing there that breathes new life to the original game - perhaps some character insights and a "redemption" of sorts to the villain, but it's basically Common intermixing with Moon.
So as someone who have finished Festa, maybe you can share your thoughts about what happened in Chihaya's after story

Mainly about...
Spoiler for Chihaya HF:

Last edited by Kirayuki; 2013-02-12 at 04:54.
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 06:57   Link #1453
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I personally also had trouble with Lucia and her seiyuu first who imho managed to put the point accross (and the meltdown level moe but I still would prefer the likes of Hisaka Youko), but progressively warmed up after a while, and the early events of her route settled her as a rare case of tsundere I can fully appreciate, turning as my favorite RW heroine (and that's from someone who hates Tsundere chars to the guts, and cursed Key the moment they announced the char bios, with the typical inchou label for her).

Frankly, I think it is a shame to see people avoiding her roule thinking she is a "standard tsundere" despite she is really nowhere close to the likes of switch flipping tsundere we have nowadays.
I dunno if it is due to bias, but rereading the common route hurts a bit when you actually know why she is acting like that. That and the fact Kotarou is really ridiculous with his pranks in that regards.
In general, I think all the heroines are interesting for vastly different reasons, except Chihaya in my case (simpleton most of the damn time, and her route should have been recalled Sakuya's route).

That said, I agree sometimes, it get tiring to the point I wonder if it isn't a decrepency due to the writing style between authors (I felt Lucia way more obnoxious in Shizuru's route than anywhere else in the game, and even the circumstances don't explain that).
Old 2013-02-12, 07:16   Link #1454
Kirayuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
In general, I think all the heroines are interesting for vastly different reasons, except Chihaya in my case (simpleton most of the damn time, and her route should have been recalled Sakuya's route).
I feel like Chihaya represent a simple-archetype character in Rewrite just like how Komari did in LB (not saying their personalities are even closely similar here), something like the symbol itself aside from the main girl.

Now, I'm ready to be shot down(probably) by many Key fans out there for expressing this comparison
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 08:28   Link #1455
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

A character like Kotori isn't easy to voice but her VA pulled it off impressively. I too don't know if I would have liked her as much if she was voiced by someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I personally also had trouble with Lucia and her seiyuu first who imho managed to put the point accross (and the meltdown level moe but I still would prefer the likes of Hisaka Youko), but progressively warmed up after a while, and the early events of her route settled her as a rare case of tsundere I can fully appreciate, turning as my favorite RW heroine (and that's from someone who hates Tsundere chars to the guts, and cursed Key the moment they announced the char bios, with the typical inchou label for her).

Frankly, I think it is a shame to see people avoiding her roule thinking she is a "standard tsundere" despite she is really nowhere close to the likes of switch flipping tsundere we have nowadays.
I dunno if it is due to bias, but rereading the common route hurts a bit when you actually know why she is acting like that. That and the fact Kotarou is really ridiculous with his pranks in that regards.

That said, I agree sometimes, it get tiring to the point I wonder if it isn't a decrepency due to the writing style between authors (I felt Lucia way more obnoxious in Shizuru's route than anywhere else in the game, and even the circumstances don't explain that).
I admit...the fact that she sounded like a typical inchou tsundere most of the time basically got to me and I was going to leave her for last even the first time I started playing. But she's actually a pretty great character...shrieking aside of course (especially liked that one scene in Shizuru's route with all three of them at the school).

And I couldn't agree more, Chihaya's route is pretty much the Sakuya route with a hint of Chihaya side romance. I felt like Chihaya was pushed aside by Sakuya's character a lot during the route, plus there was so much focus on him, and honestly...I wouldn't have minded if this was actually the Sakuya route and a side-story of sorts, just take out the only Chihaya bits (which aren't that many or as good) and BAM...epic Sakuaya Route.

EDIT: I don't get it...I just started the Lucia route and how can it be so much different than the other four? Inoue doesn't even go missing, nor do they go into the forest and find the rainbow swamp or fight the leaf dragon...it's a bit jarring considering how the others had all similar introductions to the routes.

Last edited by Randrak42; 2013-02-12 at 11:21.
Old 2013-02-12, 11:45   Link #1456
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I admit...the fact that she sounded like a typical inchou tsundere most of the time basically got to me and I was going to leave her for last even the first time I started playing. But she's actually a pretty great character...shrieking aside of course (especially liked that one scene in Shizuru's route with all three of them at the school).
The thing that you have to keep in mind is that Lucia would definitely be your usual annoying tsundere if her behaviour was originally like that and "unwarranted". To be perfectly honest, a lot of punishment dealt to Kotarou (be it Lucia or the other characters) are deserved, as, let's face it, Kotarou is extremely tiresome at times and literally asked for it.
And suffice to say, considering they most likely know each other for some time before the start of RW common route, it is quite obvious to see why she has a very antagonistic view towards Kotarou, which drastically got dampened down once you get in the Okakebu.

Quote:
EDIT: I don't get it...I just started the Lucia route and how can it be so much different than the other four? Inoue doesn't even go missing, nor do they go into the forest and find the rainbow swamp or fight the leaf dragon...it's a bit jarring considering how the others had all similar introductions to the routes.
You will understand later on: the problem is that by the time the inoue incident is occuring, there is -no way- for Lucia's route events to even occur in the first place. Her route explains her usual behaviour, but also why she is basically nowhere to be seen in other character routes (a bit the same for Kotori for the others).
Of course, it would have been possible to change her route to accomodate the common route branching point, but that would basically scrap her character concept.
Old 2013-02-12, 18:51   Link #1457
Balzac
Assistant Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirayuki View Post
So as someone who have finished Festa, maybe you can share your thoughts about what happened in Chihaya's after story
Spoiler for Sakuya:

@Kaisos, I'll try to work on it - I'm a child when it comes to the Internet.

EDIT: I'd like to disavow a dislike of Lucia only because of her VA: there were also some other things which involved her route, writing, etc.
Old 2013-02-12, 23:18   Link #1458
Mcfart

Quote:
A character like Kotori isn't easy to voice but her VA pulled it off impressively. I too don't know if I would have liked her as much if she was voiced by someone else.

And I couldn't agree more, Chihaya's route is pretty much the Sakuya route with a hint of Chihaya side romance. I felt like Chihaya was pushed aside by Sakuya's character a lot during the route, plus there was so much focus on him, and honestly...I wouldn't have minded if this was actually the Sakuya route and a side-story of sorts, just take out the only Chihaya bits (which aren't that many or as good) and BAM...epic Sakuaya Route.

I had no problem with that mostly-Sakuya route, since he was an interesting character, but yeah, they could have had 2 routes, or just call it the Chihaya/Sakuya route :P. Still though it was one of my favorite routes.
Character route ranks: Kotori>Chihaya>Akane>Shizuru>Lucia.
Old 2013-02-13, 01:03   Link #1459
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

So just finished Lucia's route...really loved it, I really did (favorite route so far).

Spoiler for Lucia Route:
Old 2013-02-13, 01:23   Link #1460
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Am I the only person that loved the "emo" bit in Lucia's route?
Spoiler for Lucia:

Tags
bishoujo, hinoue itaru, key, maeda jun, romeo tanaka, ryukishi07, visual novel