AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2008-05-25, 14:00   Link #61
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
I don't see how those are meaningless at all. Those perfectly apply to the show (Except akane which I have no idea what it means) and are informative.
Ooh you are right >.< I though I was linking to the Kure-nai forum (in which those tags do not apply) but I was actually linking to the Kanokon thread, in which shouta and yiff are right >.< my mistake >.<

But there will still be people mis-using the tag bar...
Old 2008-05-25, 14:05   Link #62
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Tags can work if peoples dont abused it.. Having a genre tag for a series would be helpful.

I side with NeoSam, if you wanted to add a tag to a thread.. then make it meaningful. A loli tag could work, a shouta tag could work .. but a man/woman/children tag wont.

I dont even know what yiff is when I added the ecchi tag to Kanokon thread earlier. And based on the short explanation above, I dont even think yiff is even appropriate for Kanokon either.

In the end, if you not sure.. dont tag the thread please.

@ NeoSam.. yiff is appropriate for Kanokon? >.<
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-25, 14:07   Link #63
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Well on some sites the tags function as search parameters, but for a place with a perfectly fine search function like a bbs forum they're just redundant and open for abuse. There's an argument that they could be useful for thread linking and quick search but personally I just find them and the bookmarks annoying and they feel more gimmicky/advertisement-ish than anything else.
Old 2008-05-25, 14:14   Link #64
Zippicus

I'm pretty ambivalent about the tags and bookmarks. I doubt that I'll ever make use of them but if other people find them helpful then I guess I don't care. It would be nice to have an option to turn them off in the profile or something though.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-25, 14:15   Link #65
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Tags work better for places where content doesn't expire so quickly--like image places like Danbooru. I just can't see them being useful for a discussion forum like AnimeSuki. They won't be added enough with enough consistency, and threads will accumulate too many flippant tags.
Old 2008-05-25, 14:19   Link #66
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
I dont even know what yiff is when I added the ecchi tag to Kanokon thread earlier. And based on the short explanation above, I dont even think yiff is even appropriate for Kanokon either.

Apparently it means Furry (which is correct for Kanokon), but that is something that even I didn't know so I suspect that it is a rarely used term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I just find them and the bookmarks annoying and they feel more gimmicky/advertisement-ish than anything else.
*nods*

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-25, 14:25   Link #67
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Tags can work if peoples dont abused it.. Having a genre tag for a series would be helpful.
Yeah, that's one of the uses of tags that seems potentially beneficial from my perspective. People are always asking for recommendations of what to watch, so tagging the show threads with genre information has the potential of being a useful way of guiding people in the right direction. It doesn't necessarily have to be restricted to strictly genre either (like, how about animation production company, source material, or origin author/company?) That does, though, depend on it being done well, as you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Apparently it means Furry (which is correct for Kanokon), but that is something that even I didn't know so I suspect that it is a rarely used term.
I asked the question myself, and one of the admins (who may wish to remain nameless... ) pointed me to this link. It has sort of "devolved" to mean something a bit more... um... well, yeah, appropriate for Kanokon, probably.
Old 2008-05-25, 14:27   Link #68
NeoSam

Quote:

I side with NeoSam, if you wanted to add a tag to a thread.. then make it meaningful. A loli tag could work, a shouta tag could work .. but a man/woman/children tag wont.

Here's another example of un-appropriate tagging:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=41890

Denno Coil anime is tagged with shoujo, while its an original anime (not based on a manga).

Quote:
@ NeoSam.. yiff is appropriate for Kanokon? >.<
After reading this:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/yiff

I'm still not too sure if it applies or not I see fox and furry being mentioned so it might be appropriate, maybe >.> no idea >.<
Old 2008-05-25, 14:28   Link #69
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I have to agree with others; all the "social networking-ish" clutter just ruins it for me. To me, it's a forum, not some MySpace page and its thousands of clones. Bad move on vBulletin's part.

The tags are useful though, and the prefixes are pretty nifty. Though of course, with the disputes on things like what the hell is seinen, I also foresee a potential problem with tags being overused to the point of being useless. A moderating system of some kind needs to be set up IMO -- maybe the creator of the thread should be able to remove tags by random users as such?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-25, 14:50   Link #70
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
Here's another example of un-appropriate tagging:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=41890

Denno Coil anime is tagged with shoujo, while its an original anime (not based on a manga).
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Shōjo or shoujo (少女, Shōjo or shoujo?) is a term used in English to refer to manga and anime aimed at a female audience between the ages of 10 and 18. The term is a transliteration of the Japanese 少女, literally Young girl. Works aimed at this target audience are generally seen as melodramatic stories of romance usually with a female protagonist, and drawn in a flowing style where beautiful characters with huge, intricately drawn eyes become spontaneously surrounded by flowers, stars, and/or bubbles.
*cough* Not sure what definition you're working from...
Old 2008-05-25, 14:53   Link #71
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Meanwhile, thanks to my new (and empty) friends sidebar, I feel so very ronrey~~
Note about this feature - I used to add people to the "buddy list" under the old forum, which didn't make a difference other than to add a + after their name in the list of active users. If you go to your user control panel, the "buddy list" is now the "Contacts and Friends" list. It'll show you the names, along with their buddy icons. Additionally, there's a little box marked for "Friends" - check that box, click save, and it requests friendship... apparently.
Old 2008-05-25, 14:57   Link #72
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
*cough* Not sure what definition you're working from...
Is Dennou Coil aiming specifically for the shoujo market, though?

I, for one, doesn't get that impression at all. These kinds of tags are just plain suspicious without moderation.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-25, 15:06   Link #73
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Is Dennou Coil aiming specifically for the shoujo market, though?

I, for one, doesn't get that impression at all. These kinds of tags are just plain suspicious without moderation.
Not saying it is or isn't (haven't seen the show), just that the definition doesn't require it to be adapted from a manga. That being said, this argument is one of the problems with tagging, isn't it?
Old 2008-05-25, 15:10   Link #74
cyth
Banned

I'll have to disagree with the tags too. The forum could turn into a bit of a joke, I'm afraid. Some of the guys I hang out on IRC staged an entertaining "freedom of speech" performance in this thread a while earlier, but I will agree with NeoSam.
I don't mind if new English words are constructed to name something to recognise it more easily, but terms like "furry" have been transferred into the context of Japanese pop culture only because some image boards and bloggers got a kick out of it by using it as a joke for a particular genre ("kemonomimi," in this case). I agree with NeoSam; users who are not as dexterous in looking up information from valid sources will mislabel series, and that defies the idea of--what I believed to be--a serious forum. I'd rather have a select group of users/moderators add them for each thread, but that would require more man power and effort on the moderator's part.

I can see social networking bookmarks being useful for bringing in more traffic from alternative sources, but they shouldn't be as obtrusive as they are now. I'd suggest making/enabling a feature that would let us stack these extras as we please.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-25, 15:15   Link #75
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
I'd rather have a select group of users/moderators add them for each thread, but that would require more man power and effort on the moderator's part.
Yes, I'll inflict my deadly and awful pun for this idea on you (all) as well: the "Tag Team". (boooo....) Anyway, the idea of making this a more limited feature (as opposed to a free-for-all) is something that's possible/a consideration, but it does mean more work, so who knows if it'll happen. For now, as NightWish said in the introduction, it's sort of "wait and see". (/me goes back to his tagging experiment...)
Old 2008-05-25, 15:40   Link #76
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I'm not sure if this has been asked, but someone has to be in your contact to be your friend right?
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-25, 15:41   Link #77
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I'm not sure if this has been asked, but someone has to be in your contact to be your friend right?
That would appear to be the case, yes.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-25, 15:55   Link #78
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I like the friends feature, actually. But curses, it really has a Facebook type of feel to it, doesn't it? As if these forums weren't addictive enough already!
Old 2008-05-25, 15:58   Link #79
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I like the friends feature, actually. But curses, it really has a Facebook type of feel to it, doesn't it? As if these forums weren't addictive enough already!
True that. I'm already addicted with this new friends/commenting system.

While on that subject, does anyone know what happens when you "approve" the messages in your profile? I didn't want to test it because I'm afraid they might be moved/changed or something?
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-25, 16:01   Link #80
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Ok so the forum changed quiet a lot, and question on social groups, we could make any social groups that we want? Also now we could see who visited their profile?

Tags
feedback, forum upgrade, tags