AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-22, 13:44   Link #41
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyanme View Post
Man, I'd hate to see what you guys would have to say about paying nearly sixty bucks in yen for a single DVD.

And again, we've not seen their subtitles. Don't knock it 'till you try it. You never know, they might end up being surprisingly good.

In any case, the LE DVDs are apparently out soon, which means press is getting boxsets. Zac Bertschy over at ANN was kind enough to take some pictures of the boxing for us.

In my opinion, it's well beyond what I expected. Apparently comes with an episode guide. Rosenqueen gives you a poster when you buy it from them.
Well, I'm definitely buying this series... though honestly this may be one that I end up ripping the DVDs I buy and aegisubbing a tweaked version of my favorite subtitles on it (unless my favorite fansub group for this series beats me to it).

No matter what the quality of the subtitled dialog ... just the ultra primitive "subtitle format standard" for DVDs gets on my nerves anymore.
Old 2010-06-29, 10:09   Link #42
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I was excited about this series being released and was going to pre-order it but first did some research. It would seem that the video quality is really bad; it has a lot of ghosting. I looked in their forum and there are enough complaints to make me wait to buy this or not buy it at all if the problem is not corrected.
Old 2010-06-29, 22:00   Link #43
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I was excited about this series being released and was going to pre-order it but first did some research. It would seem that the video quality is really bad; it has a lot of ghosting. I looked in their forum and there are enough complaints to make me wait to buy this or not buy it at all if the problem is not corrected.
Sigh... and rarely are problems actually corrected by these anime distributors. Sounds like its time for a nice letter: fix the problems and care about your product and I'll buy it. Show me you don't give a f*** and you can wither and die.
Old 2010-06-29, 22:49   Link #44
Raiga
tl;dr

Glad I dropped by because I was seeeeeriously feeling the temptation to order those DVDs... if they fix the video problems I might still get them at a later date but definitely out of the question for now.
Old 2010-06-29, 23:03   Link #45
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well.. its still in pre-order phase so I suppose we should research the various sites (like that DVD forum site einhorn303 recommends). I'm also going to write Rightstuf and see if they're aware of the controversy.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-06-29 at 23:22.
Old 2010-06-30, 07:11   Link #46
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Sigh... and rarely are problems actually corrected by these anime distributors. Sounds like its time for a nice letter: fix the problems and care about your product and I'll buy it. Show me you don't give a f*** and you can wither and die.
Unless they get hundreds of letters, I doubt they'll care. But I am surprised because NIS America is just getting into the anime business. This is a really poor start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Glad I dropped by because I was seeeeeriously feeling the temptation to order those DVDs... if they fix the video problems I might still get them at a later date but definitely out of the question for now.
If they fix it, I'd get it. They have nice extras and stuff too.

Quote:
Well.. its still in pre-order phase so I suppose we should research the various sites (like that DVD forum site einhorn303 recommends). I'm also going to write Rightstuf and see if they're aware of the controversy.
What site is that?

And please let us know what they say.
Old 2010-06-30, 12:34   Link #47
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This is what I've found so far:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/anime-talk/...-subtitle.html
http://www.mania.com/toradora-person...le_121333.html
No one else appears to have gotten disks to review yet.... so none of these threads talk about anything but the bonus materials.
Old 2010-06-30, 12:55   Link #48
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Has it been released at all? How are people having problems with it? Has the series been released in different packaging or something and the "premium" one is coming out now?

Why didn't I realize this before, lol.
Old 2010-06-30, 13:06   Link #49
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The rants are coming from people who got pre-release copies for various reasons (reviewers, etc). I ended up writing rightstuf.com just to let them know of these reports in case they started getting feedback. I went ahead and pre-ordered the premium set on the chance my systems wouldn't have these problems (it does appear to matter what the disks are played on and whether they can cope with the issue). Mostly I was after the bonus materials I suppose
Old 2010-06-30, 13:29   Link #50
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
The rants are coming from people who got pre-release copies for various reasons (reviewers, etc). I ended up writing rightstuf.com just to let them know of these reports in case they started getting feedback. I went ahead and pre-ordered the premium set on the chance my systems wouldn't have these problems (it does appear to matter what the disks are played on and whether they can cope with the issue). Mostly I was after the bonus materials I suppose
Hmm...this wouldn't be a problem if you could return open DVDs, but you can't. They should just release the entire series in one BD box set. It'd probably be cheaper too.
Old 2010-06-30, 19:35   Link #51
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
If they fix it, I'd get it. They have nice extras and stuff too.
Yeah, the extras look really nice... if I hadn't already spent a bunch of money this month I'd have ordered without hesitation. I'll probably feel better about buying it once I get my first paycheck in July.

And it looks like problem solved:
http://nisamerica.com/anime/anime_replace.php

I'm impressed. Good move on the part of NISA. I'll place the order once I get a bit more money in my bank account.
Old 2010-07-01, 00:04   Link #52
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Yeah, the extras look really nice... if I hadn't already spent a bunch of money this month I'd have ordered without hesitation. I'll probably feel better about buying it once I get my first paycheck in July.

And it looks like problem solved:
http://nisamerica.com/anime/anime_replace.php

I'm impressed. Good move on the part of NISA. I'll place the order once I get a bit more money in my bank account.
Brilliant! It may hurt their short term profit but it definitely improves the odds of me being a repeat customer.
Old 2010-07-01, 07:53   Link #53
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Brilliant! It may hurt their short term profit but it definitely improves the odds of me being a repeat customer.
I am impressed. Other companies would have just fixed the problem for future printings and left those who already purchased it to wallow.

So, I think I'll pre-order it now. I think Amazon had a good price.
Old 2010-07-13, 11:45   Link #54
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Did anyone get their Toradora DVD set yet?
Old 2010-07-13, 11:55   Link #55
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

No, I haven't called Rightstuf to see what the status is ... but I wonder if the vendors are insisting on the remastered sets before shipping.

When I wrote Rightstuf a while back they were aware of the DVD problems and said they were in discussion with the manufacterer. That was right before the big news release saying the malfunctioning DVDs would be replaced.
Old 2010-07-13, 17:33   Link #56
Dark Paladin X

Well, the series interests me a lot. However, I really want to save money by waiting out for some sort of "complete collection" edition of Toradora! (don't care if there is a dub or not, but it would be nice to have one). However, there could be a good chance on missing out on the Toradora! Premium Box Set deals if the it doesn't sell well for NIS America.

Unless if NIS America offers "upgrade" services for the premium box set deals when they announce a dub (similar to what Sentai did with CLANNAD), I'll just wait out for the "complete collection" where all the episodes are packed in one box.
Old 2010-10-23, 16:50   Link #57
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Both volumes are out. Anyone have or hear of any more problems recently? I really wanna get it the limited edition while I can but I do not want any ghosting issues. I also heard some of them skip the menu and just start playing without any subtitles on.
Old 2010-10-23, 23:35   Link #58
hinakatbklyn

The premium first volume did skip the menu, but had the subtitles on. Otherwise, looks fine to me.
Old 2010-10-24, 08:53   Link #59
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

When did you buy it? First press or...?
Old 2010-10-24, 09:51   Link #60
hinakatbklyn

Later version. Managed to find a store copy rather than online.