Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-04-16, 22:36   Link #1
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Thought exercise for AnimeSuki's harem/reverse-harem fans

Generally speaking, is the girl or guy whom you want to win also your favorite girl or guy from the series?

Is the "main" girl or guy necessarily the one who gets the guy or girl?

And finally, does your personal favorite pairing from such a show tend to have your favorite character or characters or the two whom you feel have the best chemistry?
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 23:14   Link #2
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito_Kinomoto View Post
Generally speaking, is the girl or guy whom you want to win also your favorite girl or guy from the series?
Yes, almost always. Unless I've "outgrown" the ship. For example, back when I was dumb and naive and not cynical at all, I liked Fushigi Yuugi and I shipped Tamahome and Miaka together pretty hard. Tamahome was also my favorite character. But I'm older now, more cynical, and less tolerant of such sappy relationship drama. My favorite character eventually changed to Nuriko. But that doesn't mean I want MiakaxNuriko now. Nuriko deserves so much better. XD
And sometimes my most liked character doesn't suit the main character. This doesn't happen that much but it does once in a while. Like, I prefer mature and mild-mannered Ichi from Mamotte Lollipop's manga....but Nina (heroine) and Zero suit each other because they're both stupid and immature. XD

Quote:
It truly feels odd if it's not.

Quote:
And finally, does your personal favorite pairing from such a show tend to have your favorite character or characters or the two whom you feel have the best chemistry?
But of course! You can't have shipping without chemistry...nor is it possible to really ship two characters together if you don't like either of them.
Old 2012-04-16, 23:19   Link #3
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
In Gatekeepers 21.... the main guy gets someone else.
Old 2012-04-16, 23:25   Link #4
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Almost always. I mean, if you have a favorite girl in a harem show, you’d want her to win the “best price” which is being together with the main protagonist. Although there are harems where the main protagonist is so useless (stupid, poor, and a pervert) that you don’t want your favorite girl to end up with him. In this case, I’m glad that Ichigo 100% manga goes the way I like, which is:
Spoiler for ending:

If you’re talking about preference, then I don’t think I just want the main-guy to get the girl(s). Often times, I also want the supporting characters (e.g. the main guy’s male friend, etc) to get a girl too, especially if I found the male supporting character is as (if not more) likeable than the main guy, like in Amagami SS. I also tend to support the supporting guy to take the main guy's place as the "king of harem" if the main guy is too useless to root for .

Yes, my favorite pairing tend to have my fave char, and No, my fave pairing doesn't always have the best chemistry. For example, Soyogi in Umi no Misaki. I like her personality the most, yet her chemistry with the main-guy is the poorest.

Unfortunately, in many harems I’ve seen, the main girl (which I know will win the guy in the end) is often the most boring girl from the bunch (e.g. Ranma ½) or just plain annoying tsundere (e.g. Love Hina and Ranma again). Nevertheless, there are cases where I do like the main girl (e.g. Onegai Teacher and I”s). There are also cases where I like each girl in their own way and doesn’t matter to me who ends up with the main protag (e.g. Hayate no Gotoku! and The World God Only Knows).
Old 2012-04-16, 23:46   Link #5
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post

Unfortunately, in many harems I’ve seen, the main girl (which I know will win the guy in the end) is often the most boring girl from the bunch (e.g. Ranma ½)
Ugh, I know what you mean! I hate Akane... She's also the least pretty of all the girls...I mean WTF Rumiko!?

lol
Old 2012-04-16, 23:51   Link #6
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
In general yes I would want said preferred pairing and character to "win". But I guess this kinda bothers me that the other people who didn't "win" simply don't get resolved and frequently left as loose ends when it's fairly obvious that it doesn't work like that. Really, let's take Clannad AS where you want me to believe that all those attractive female characters haven't gotten with anyone in all this time [or it's not important which to me is even worse]. Oh, and one person's boyfriend just got vaporized out of existence. X_X

Also, when it comes to this thing, I almost never prefer the "default" pairing the most, so I get left hanging more often than not. For this reason harem often tends to be one of my least preferred kinds of anime.

However, I guess I'm rooting more for the character than the pairing as shipping I don't care aobut.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 03:49   Link #7
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
This one is a serious generalization. I'm a big fan of Motoko from Love Hina, but she doesn't end up with Keitaro. I almost never cheer the other girls winning the guy's heart now, so I generally want the "default" (first heroine) tsunderes winning for him.

Quote:
Yes. Another serious generalization.

Quote:
Sometimes. I like Mafuyu and Sasha from Seikon no Qwaser, they have a good chemistry in them.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 07:14   Link #8
starlol

Yes. But there are also a lot of times i feel that my favourite character is too good for the main character or my favourite character obviously stand no chance ending up with the main character. In the 2nd case, i will root for the character that i feel that suits the main character the best which usually happens to be my 2nd favourite character.

Yes. It will be weird if the main character does not end up with the other main.
I tend to watch shows with an obvious main character.

Favourite character if i like the main character and feel that the main character deserve the character i like the most!
Chemistry if i feel that the direction of the story and ending can be much more satisfactory if the main ends up with that character more than ANY other character in the show.
starlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 15:08   Link #9
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Generally. I want to see them happy, so if they want to be with the protagonists, that's what I would want. That's how most harems are set up.

Quote:
In most harems, I guess.

Edit: Ah, I see. It just depends, I guess. Sometimes my favorite character is the main heroine, sometimes another girl is the main heroine.

Quote:
For the most part, yes. My favorite pairings tend to go along with my favorite characters.

Last edited by OceanBlue; 2012-04-17 at 17:23.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 15:26   Link #10
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito_Kinomoto
I would tend to say no, especially in animes and other non-interactive fiction. I tend to value the chemistry between the pairs more than whether I like the individual characters or not, and I think in general writers will at least put in some effort to make their pairs work, so I tend to support the canon pairing because if the writer is bad enough that he/she can't make the main pairing plausible for me, then chances are the writer is bad enough that I'm not interested in the story enough to keep following it anyways. My favourite character on the other hand depends on entirely the characters themselves, so they don't necessarily overlap and even when they do, it can more or less be classified as coincidence.

In galges and omnibus series and such, I would probably end up supporting pairing with my favourite characters more. Exceptions exist, though.

Quote:
Not to me. I consider the canon girl/guy "main", and if that's not applicable I would then consider the girl most instrumental to the story, or if that's not applicable either, then I'm perfectly happy considering a series to have no "main" girl or guy.

Quote:
Again, liking the chemistry between a pairing and liking a character are two different things to me. Out of all the stories I read that even resembles anything harem, there's only one non-canon pairing that I actually like more than the canon (Ryuuji/Ami), while in probably about 1/3 to half of them my favourite girl/guy is not part of the canon/main pairing.
RegalStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 17:49   Link #11
Anime-fan10

I usually prefer the main male character and main female character to end up w/ each other, but there are a few times when I prefer another female character. Most of the anime I've seen have ended up w/ the main characters together, but there have been a couple of them that stayed away from that direction.

Spoiler for Ichigo 100%:
Anime-fan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 18:16   Link #12
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:

And finally, does your personal favorite pairing from such a show tend to your favorite character or characters or the two whom you feel have the best chemistry?
Usually, but not always.

Yet, if you look at my comments on Mashiro Iro Symphony. You can see my butthurt regarding Sena:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...102145&page=65

Nevertheless, not ever main character is likable. Shows like this - I tend to drop anyways. I tried giving Guilty Crown a chance - but - forget it. I dropped this series on the hope for the main girl to just outright dispose of the main guy. And well... that did not happen.

All-in-all...

Character chemistry is very important. If you have two characters who gel - you tend to favor their success together, rather than their failure. Doing so, it creates a "happy" progression.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 19:33   Link #13
Qikz

I'm not going to lie, I think Harem shows are better when the guy gets all the girls, preferably at the same time, but that usually ends up being a rather adult affair which I'm in no way saying I enjoy in any form at all :shiftyeyes:

In normal anime/manga though, I usually prefer it to be more open ended as the hilarity can continue with the various rivalrys and what not (Just look at To Love Ru Darkness with Momo trying to create a proper Harem for Rito). <3
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 19:34   Link #14
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sometimes... I'm happier if the girl I find the most appealing *doesn't* "win" (horse race bleh) because the guy is not a prize
Old 2012-04-20, 12:09   Link #15
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Sometimes... I'm happier if the girl I find the most appealing *doesn't* "win" (horse race bleh) because the guy is not a prize
Heh, yeah. When the male protagonist is either uninteresting, or downright unappealing, the best you can hope for is that your favorite girl remains single.
Old 2012-04-20, 13:01   Link #16
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well here are all the list of harem anime (or anime where the guy has more than one love interest) that I've watched:

AirTV
Spoiler for Airtv:

Ano Natsu
Spoiler for Ano Natsu:

Bakemonogatari
Spoiler for Bakemonogatari:

Clannad
Spoiler for Clannad:

Haganai
Spoiler for Boku wa Tomodachi:

Bungaku Shoujo
Spoiler for Bungaku Shoujo:

Denpa Onna
Spoiler for Denpa:

Fate/Stay Night
Spoiler for FSN Visual Novel:

Guilty Crown
Spoiler for Guilty Crown:

Kanon
Spoiler for Kanon:

Ore no Imouto
Spoiler for ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai:

Tsukihime
Spoiler for Visual Novel:

Shugo Chara
Spoiler for Shugo Chara:

Steins;Gate
Spoiler for Steins;Gate:

TAMNI series
Spoiler for Majutsu and Railgun:

Toradora!
Spoiler for Toradora!:

True Tears
Spoiler for Mari Fucking Okada:

Yosuga no Sora
Spoiler for Lol:

So generally what I’ve found is that what matters in me liking a canon pairing is whether or not the romance is actually good. Whether or not it’s my favourite girl might factor also (in cases where the canon romance is bad, for example) but it isn’t the main factor.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 18:54   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Generally, I'll take any "game solution" other than the "no-ending" or "reset". Those are appalling.