AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-01-19, 21:12   Link #1
Miraluka
Banned

Sengoku Basara: Judge End

Sengoku Basara Franchise Has New TV Anime Project in the Works

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...t-in-the-works

I'm not sure to call this a thrid since since the the fourth game is some kind of remake of the first game.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-16, 06:01   Link #2
AntonKutovoi

So it's gonna be called Sengoku BASARA: Judge End and will cover events of Sengoku Basara 3

I do wonder how it will ve related to the Last Party movie, though, since a number of imortant events happened there. Guess it simply will be removed from continiuty.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-06, 00:56   Link #3
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Licensed by Funimation.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-06, 16:37   Link #4
kuromitsu

I still haven't gotten around watching this (arrrgh), but apparently Sawano is not doing the music, baaaww. Also, I hear it's really dramatic, which is meh because I'm not into Sengoku Basara for the drama (dammit, Mitsunari)... but I keep hoping against hope that the new anime original character will brighten things up. Man, I so wasn't looking forward to the SB3 angst.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-07, 22:12   Link #5
Hedd
Random Object

Any idea if this is planning on being streamed by Funi at all?
Old 2014-07-08, 10:46   Link #6
Albel VII

Just when did Mitsunari become that strong? Or was he always like that in the games? There’s no sub available yet, so I don't want to spoil anything, but it kinda felt like he has somehow gotten multiple power-ups while no one was watching.

By the way, based on the first episode, it seems this season is going to be an alternative continuity which starts not long before Hideyoshi is defeated rather than a direct sequel to Last Party.
Albel VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-08, 15:09   Link #7
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albel VII View Post
Just when did Mitsunari become that strong?
When he became a poster boy in the game. (And then replaced Yukimura in the current game.... -_-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albel VII View Post
By the way, based on the first episode, it seems this season is going to be an alternative continuity which starts not long before Hideyoshi is defeated rather than a direct sequel to Last Party.
Yes, they said that this was a new adaptation that pretty much disregards the movie. (The movie and this series are both based on the game Sengoku Basara 3.)
Old 2014-07-08, 16:51   Link #8
AntonKutovoi

It not only disregards the movies, but the previous seasons as well. It's an adaptation of the game, not a sequel.

Also, as much as I like Masamune, I hope that he and Yukimura won't appear too much this time. Their stories in SB3 were quite boring. Drama never was a Basara's strong point, especially when it comes to the Red-Blue duo.
Old 2014-07-08, 17:06   Link #9
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
It not only disregards the movies, but the previous seasons as well. It's an adaptation of the game, not a sequel.
Yeah, what I meant was that it's a new adaptation so not in the previous anime continuity. (Which is obvious, given what happened at the end of S2.)

Quote:
Also, as much as I like Masamune, I hope that he and Yukimura won't appear too much this time. Their stories in SB3 were quite boring.
I love the Red-Blue duo, but yeah, in SB3 they were kind of meh (except for the Red&Blue Forever ending, that was great, Takeda ftw!). Yukimura is my favorite character but I didn't enjoy his story in SB3 as much as I had hoped I would (so. much. angst), and Masamune's story was "ehh," too. The problem, though, is that I thought Mitsunari was even worse (with some glimpses of usually unrealized comedy gold), and from what I see this anime will go all-out with him...

Quote:
Drama never was a Basara's strong point
I can definitely agree with that. :/ Or rather, I don't mind the drama that much as long as it's not taken very seriously, but in SB3 they did take it very seriously and it seems they will take it very seriously in this anime as well. As I said above, I'm not really looking forward to that. (If only they had Sourin...!)
Old 2014-07-08, 17:32   Link #10
AntonKutovoi

I kinda like Basara's Mitsunari. His maniacal attitude was refreshing after Sengoku Musou's one. Although now, after Sengoku Musou 4, I prefere Musou's Mitsunari (when it comes to voice actors as well. Eiji Takemoto is really underused).
Old 2014-07-08, 17:59   Link #11
kuromitsu

(One of these days I'd really like to see a Basara x Musou crossover...)

I wouldn't necessarily mind Mitsunari if he was taken less seriously, because his maniac mode, over the top behavior and some other character traits would be lots of fun that way. As it is, though, I kept laughing during scenes where I felt I was probably not supposed to be laughing.

Not that I hated SB3, mind - I liked the game and I loved some stories and some of the new characters (SOURIIINNNN! and I quite like adult Ieyasu as well, perhaps that puts me in a minority), but it's definitely not my favorite from the franchise.
Old 2014-07-09, 14:03   Link #12
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
So I'm a horribad person and I never got around to finishing Samurai Kings, but from the talk in this thread, perhaps that won't matter if I start watching this before finishing Samurai Kings?
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-09, 14:18   Link #13
ookamigirl

Spoiler for plot:

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-09, 19:01   Link #14
JiCi

So... in 20 minutes we've gotten:
Spoiler for Stuff from Sengoku Basara 3 / Samurai Heroes:

Also... have fun with this:
JiCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-09, 19:25   Link #15
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Holy cow Tomokazu Seki must have lost his voice after recording the first episode.
Old 2014-07-09, 19:26   Link #16
Amarantine

Well, that first episode was a bit of a mess. I'm a fan of the game series and finally having an anime that adapts its events faithfully seemed like an exciting prospect (especially after The Last Party utterly botched the Sekigahara battle), but after watching this episode I'm more than a bit worried that the show isn't in good enough hands to do it justice.

Despite their wild divergences from the game canon, I felt the first two anime seasons did a very good job in bringing the series and its characters to life. They took their time in introducing the cast at a reasonable pace, came up with good original stories for them and overall handled the series with care. This new season's first episode, however, was all over the place. Seems like they really wanted to end the very first episode at the cataclysmic event that sparkled the Ieyasu/Mitsunari rivalry, so they tried to do too much at once and rushed all the way there without giving us time to properly take in the events, which were presented in an even more melodramatic fashion than in the game to boot. Characters were shoehorned in left and right in minor scenes seemingly just to tell the fans "don't worry, we're here." The whole thing felt like a cheap commercial for the videogame.

Which brings me to the action... and all I have to say there is please come back, Production I.G. You're sorely missed already. Sure, there wasn't a lot of action in their animated Basara, but when it happened it usually looked pretty sweet (and short). But here the only positive was finally seeing blood in Basara, because the fights themselves looked shoddy to say the least. The animation was weak, the character models were all over the place, the choreography was pretty much nonexistent... really disappointing stuff, I have to say.

I'd like to think "hey, it's just the first episode, maybe it'll get better" but with Production I.G. gone and a newbie director at the helm (and Sawano Hiroyoki gone) I'm not very optimistic. I'll just cautiously hope that now that they got the prologue out of the way, they'll handle the story with more care... and somehow find a budget for the fights.
Amarantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-09, 20:15   Link #17
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
That was...a mess. Even without seeing earlier seasons I thought it was a mess. Even worse it was an uninteresting mess.

Oh well. Dropped for now.
Old 2014-07-09, 21:55   Link #18
Pesti13nce

ok, i'm confused... I thought like.. half the people that showed up were killed off in previous seasons? Or does this take place BEFORE the last movie (Or do those people killed not actually die?)? Also does anyone else think the animations were a little weird (Vs the other shows)? Especially the fight where Date was getting his ass handed to him, it seemed..well... weird.
Pesti13nce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-09, 22:25   Link #19
Amarantine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesti13nce View Post
ok, i'm confused... I thought like.. half the people that showed up were killed off in previous seasons? Or does this take place BEFORE the last movie (Or do those people killed not actually die?)? Also does anyone else think the animations were a little weird (Vs the other shows)? Especially the fight where Date was getting his ass handed to him, it seemed..well... weird.
As others have said in the beginning of this thread, Judge End represents a new continuity that's more faithful to the version of the events from the original game series (and consequentially a bit more faithful to how it went down historically as well) and thus separate from the 'Sengoku Basara 1 + 2 + Movie' version of the story, which was anime original. If you need to fit it in with the chronology of the first two seasons and the movie, Judge End technically takes place just before the end of Season 2, but much of what happens before and after is quite different. In particular the conclusions to each season:

Spoiler for Sengoku Basara Seasons 1 + 2:

So basically the "who killed who" is different this time around, which will result in a different Battle of Sekigahara (the conflict portrayed in the movie Sengoku Basara: The Last Party).

As for the "weird" animation (that's being generous, downright "bad" would be a more apt description if you ask me), this season is being done by a different studio, which clearly doesn't have the same resources as the studio which did the prior seasons, hence the much worse production values overall.
Amarantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-10, 05:29   Link #20
JiCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarantine View Post
Spoiler for Sengoku Basara Seasons 1 + 2:
Spoiler for Stuff:
JiCi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sengoku