AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-11-05, 20:00   Link #1
Dtortot
Unbroken God

Send a message via MSN to Dtortot
Manga Review Sites

Hi, I am Dtortot, I wandered into Anmesuki after checking the list of Top 25 Referals to the site I started, host, administer among other things: Manga Reviewer .

Some of you may have heard of this site, some of you haven't.

I am not here to make an advertaisment to the site, I just want to ask:

What other good reviews sites do you about, that have manga reviews?

I already found out AnimeSecrets and AMG Reviews. But I haven't found any other sites with manga reviews. Lots of anime reviews sites, yes, but very few sites with manga reviews, so please tell me the ones you know about?

Thanks.

Disclaimer: Mods, This is my first post I don't think this is against the rules and if my english was wrong at somepoint please excuse me for I am Mexican, so english isn't my primary language.
Old 2004-11-05, 20:14   Link #2
AnimeFangirl

www.animenfo.com has a few biased manga reviews. Rather poor selection, but I suppose it's better than nothing.
I've seen Manga Reviewer and I think it's a pretty good site...sorta. The reviews are a little uninspiring, not enthusiastic enough, so they don't make me want to read any of them. But it's a good way to learn about completed manga series to read.
Old 2004-11-05, 22:20   Link #3
guyverfanboyclone

Send a message via AIM to guyverfanboyclone Send a message via Yahoo to guyverfanboyclone
www.listerx.com
www.mangabits.com
http://manga.animeondvd.com

Old 2004-11-07, 02:03   Link #4
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

I always thought there needed to be a non-biased manga review site available to the English fans... and I think yours partly fits the bill. But honestly, I find it silly to only review completed mangas. You're leaving out gems like Hajime no Ippo, 20th Century Boys and Berserk simply because they aren't over yet. Simply state in the review that the author has only read through volume 20 or so, and if need be, change the rating when the series is over. I mean the vast majority of the manga available to the English reader is not over yet (scanslators and publishers usually work on current projects).
Old 2004-11-07, 12:14   Link #5
Dtortot
Unbroken God

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
I always thought there needed to be a non-biased manga review site available to the English fans... and I think yours partly fits the bill. But honestly, I find it silly to only review completed mangas. You're leaving out gems like Hajime no Ippo, 20th Century Boys and Berserk simply because they aren't over yet. Simply state in the review that the author has only read through volume 20 or so, and if need be, change the rating when the series is over. I mean the vast majority of the manga available to the English reader is not over yet (scanslators and publishers usually work on current projects).
:O I get some emails asking me if they could review "Insert Name of an Unfinished Manga Here" just because they think it is the best manga around. And lets be honest that kind of reasoning is dumb. But you do make a good point. And belive me that suggestion has already made me think of a solution or so I think it will be.

Thanks to all the people (yes, I know I am making it sound like 150 people replied) for their comments.
Old 2004-11-07, 12:54   Link #6
Nate RFB

Trigun 69%? x_x

Anyways, yeah, it's pretty rough not reviewing at least some incomplete manga. So many of the great ones out there still are out there. You could make a disclaimer saying "This review is based upon the first 15 volumes" or something, and then make additional supplements every 5 volumes or so until it ends.
Old 2004-11-08, 13:24   Link #7
jennwenn

I write manga (and other) reviews for this site:ActiveAnime

Yeah that was a plug....the selection isn't that big yet and I certainly am biased (isn't everyone?) but I try to make my bias known to the reader so they can differentiate for themselves.

I quite like Manga at AoD just because they have the largest selection of reviews, even though I rarely agree with their reviews or reviewer's comments. Still, its the most helpful. Mangabits I think could use a more thorough writing style and review system, but I love the design and layout of their site. Very clear and pretty.

Sequential Tart has manga reviews every issue, which are interesting because they're usually from the female comics reader's perspective.

Those are my favorite review sites, I pretty much find forums to be a better resource though.

What the web needs is a META-review site that links to all the manga reviews on various sites so that all these places can pool their resources and eventually everything will be covered, sort of like the meta-anime review site.

EDIT - My gosh, can't forget Amazon. So its not a manga-only review site but I find it to THE most helpful manga resource on the net.
Old 2004-11-09, 22:47   Link #8
Dtortot
Unbroken God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
What the web needs is a META-review site that links to all the manga reviews on various sites so that all these places can pool their resources and eventually everything will be covered, sort of like the meta-anime review site.

EDIT - My gosh, can't forget Amazon. So its not a manga-only review site but I find it to THE most helpful manga resource on the net.
Thanks for your cooperation I will take this three into consideration.

As for the META-review site, I found: http://echoica.net/glitter/ unless we are talking about two different things
Old 2004-11-10, 14:33   Link #9
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtortot
Thanks for your cooperation I will take this three into consideration.

As for the META-review site, I found: http://echoica.net/glitter/ unless we are talking about two different things
I'm thinking of something like this META review site. Actually the web desing is absolute crap but the idea is what I really like.

I've never seen the page you've linked to before, thanks for mentioning it! It looks helpful.

I like your site since it has manga that are unlicensed. I don't agree with some of the reviews verdicts though, but I love reading other people's comments, even if I disagree with them, just because its so interesting to hear opinions. Glad you mentioned it.
Closed Thread