AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-05-27, 05:29   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 788 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Credit goes to Aohige for the summary:

-Chapter title is "My fight" Splash page features Brooke and Perona.

-Only three minutes are left until the Birdcage completely closes. More of the gladiators step up to take on Doflamingo, but they're instantly destroyed. Meanwhile, Gatz is still carrying Luffy, but he runs into Law, who shambles right in front of them, saying that he'll help Luffy from here on out. Meanwhile, at another part of the country, Bartolomeo is stopping the cage with a barrier, and Leo, along with several gladiators, help to keep the barrier against the cage, as well.

-We then see princess Mansherry lending a hand to the country as well, using her Chiyupopo (or Healing Dandelions). These were what Fujitora saw at the end of the previous chapter. They're the princess' dandelion-shaped healing tears, spread all over the town. And while they do prove effective in healing the populace, this power has one flaw: This method of healing is only temporary. After a few minutes, the heal will wear off, and whatever injuries a person had prior to getting healed will return. Nonetheless, the princess doesn't give up, saying that this how she will fight.

-Usopp tells the citizens to help stop the Birdcage. While they're reluctant at first, he says that they can trust his companions. Meanwhile, Rebecca decides to face Doflamingo as a last resort in case the cage isn't stopped, but her sister Viola is already one step ahead of her. Her aunt tells her not to do anything foolish, as she must survive. Dofla asks Viola why SHE'S facing him then, and she replies that it's to settle the score, as the last member of the Doflamingo family that's still standing. She intends to fight to the death....

-Franky's group are still pushing the factory against the cage, while Zoro and the samurai push their swords against it as well. When they start doubting that they can stop it, Fujitora appears, who lends his assistance to the swordsmen, as well. As everyone in the nation helps push against the cage, it..... actually stops! It only stops temporarily, though. Nonetheless, the fact that the cage CAN be stopped by their combined effort fills the townspeople with hope, and they continue their part of the battle. Rebecca cries for aunt, who decided to sacrifice herself against Doflamingo. But now, only one minute remains until Luffy recovers his energy....!!!

Last edited by marvelB; 2015-05-28 at 04:07.
Old 2015-05-28, 00:14   Link #2
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Summary up
Old 2015-05-28, 00:57   Link #3
marvelB

Okey-dokey, updated with the full summary!

Uh.... if Mansherry's tears are spread across the nation, then what the heck is stopping it from healing Dofla and his goons? I mean, Pica could easily sneak-attack Zoro with another statue while he's busy pushing back the cage!
Old 2015-05-28, 01:19   Link #4
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Sorry, as someone corrected me, they're Dandelions, not Sunflowers.

I for some reason have always thought the English word for Tanpopo was sunflowers.
Old 2015-05-28, 04:06   Link #5
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Sorry, as someone corrected me, they're Dandelions, not Sunflowers.
they're "Teardelions"

Every chapter I find it crazier and crazier how strong the Birdcage is. I wonder if next chapter will take less than a minute.
Old 2015-05-28, 04:14   Link #6
marvelB

Hey neat, so pretty much have confirmation of both Kinemon and Kanjurou being haki users, too! Well, that's to be expected from Wano samurai, I think. Also, I forgot to bring it up earlier, but I really like that Barto is using his ability to help stop the Birdcage. His barriers are surprisingly versatile.

Also, here's to hoping that Viola can at least put a scratch on Dofla before Luffy recovers....
Old 2015-05-28, 05:24   Link #7
aliasxn
Eye for an Eye

Sigh, Oda will milk this until september.

Way to ruin an othewise great fight.
Old 2015-05-28, 05:42   Link #8
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasxn View Post
Sigh, Oda will milk this until september.

Way to ruin an othewise great fight.
BusterCall/Cage is being delayed while crew is in danger. Check.

Lucci/Flamingo is using their trump cards while Luffy lying half dead somewhere. Check.

And now Viola is going to pull us a Robin style drama scene that will force Luffy to go berserk.

According to usual shonen timeline, I say its just about time for Luffy to pull a flashy finishing move to end this. May probly take 3-4 more chapters thou to prep the ground so all city can cheer for Luffy and watch him in awe as he kicks Flamingo's ass to orbit.

Edit : That last panel made me think...Maybe Law is using his fruit to channel his infamous eternal life buff to Luffy? They never stated that precedure renders one immortal but merely lenghts his lifespan forever. With Luffy wasting a lot of his years with Iva's healing and gear spamming, it doesnt sound too far for Law sacrifice by giving Flamingo's long-last wish to his worst enemy.

Also for the love of everything thats f****g holy, no one needs Neptune, Poseidon or any ancient superweapon as long as they can have birdcage. Buster Call? Why dont we just send Flamingo to level a country to ground while he is sleeping?
Admiral help not cutting it? Really overdid it. Pulls a meteor from orbit, cant even lift specific points of landmarks to lift the damn thing off. Let the earth chunks aside, how can that thing stand against a lifting gravity force wall rising up above?

Hopefully Oda will find some other way to prove us birdcage being not too overpowered rather than just rendering Flamingo unconcious.

Last edited by Rawrz; 2015-05-28 at 06:21.
Old 2015-05-28, 05:46   Link #9
imza

I actually liked this chapter, it was a nice way to show what everyone is doing.

The only thing I don't like is how the bird cage seems too strong, the whole country, portion of the straw hats and an admiral's combined strength can only stop it temporarily? That seems a bit much, especially considering it does not seem to require Doffy to have any conscious part in it or straining himself to keep it going.
Old 2015-05-28, 05:49   Link #10
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

UGH! I just knew Oda was going to stall the fight some more by this countdown bit

I can already hear the fandom saying how weak this is making Luffy weak, that's what I've been hearing around lately.

Looks like Law may actually get to help deliver the final blow after all, joy! My dreams come true

Best fight ever! Sarcasm is fun in times like these folks

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Old 2015-05-28, 06:28   Link #11
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

INB4 Birdcage is secretly Ancient Weapon Uranus.... Seriously, its more overpowered than that steel which blocked Whitebeard's Gura Gura power back at Marineford. I'm gonna have to reevaluate my understanding of Barto's barrier ability when compared to Busoushoku now.

Either way it was good chapter in its own right. Everyone's ability is being used in order to delay the birdcage and they're actually able to force it to a complete stop for a bit. They probably need to gain a bit more time in order for Luffy to recover his powers and defeat Doflamingo.

I do like it that Bartolomeo is one of main players when helping to halt the birdcage.

Last edited by OH&S; 2015-05-28 at 08:13.
Old 2015-05-28, 06:35   Link #12
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
I wonder if Mansherry's tears could speed up Luffy's recovery process, and if so, why seemingly no "teardelion" has hit him yet.
Old 2015-05-28, 07:11   Link #13
P_Dezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
I wonder if Mansherry's tears could speed up Luffy's recovery process, and if so, why seemingly no "teardelion" has hit him yet.
'cause that would speed up the story. can't have that
Old 2015-05-28, 07:15   Link #14
Homura7

Quote:
Because Doflamingo is also close by, and if he finds her...
Old 2015-05-28, 07:21   Link #15
J4n1

Chapter, was decent, gave a nice look at what is going on.
But for GODS SAKE LETS GET THIS OVER WITH!!!!!

And now that i've gotten that of my chest, let's talk bird cage.
Just how overpowered can a devil fruit be?
Admirals, Strawhats, marines, plenty of other powerful pirates, all these people, and Doflamingo is just steamrolling everyone at the same time, without any visible effort.

Also, why has Zoro not even tried to cut the strings?
Him not being able to, while kinda iffy, is atleast somewhat reasonable, but not even trying?
Or have i forgot him trying?
Old 2015-05-28, 08:01   Link #16
Homura7

Not even a friggin meteorite falling down at insane speed put a dent on the cage. Doflamingo has mastered his devil fruit beyond its basic abilities, he's an awakened paramecia.
Old 2015-05-28, 08:08   Link #17
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Thats assuming that the teardrops restore Haki. Luffy is a bit torn up but he's physically fine. At least thats the reasoning I'm sticking with.
Old 2015-05-28, 08:12   Link #18
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrz View Post
Admiral help not cutting it? Really overdid it. Pulls a meteor from orbit, cant even lift specific points of landmarks to lift the damn thing off. Let the earth chunks aside, how can that thing stand against a lifting gravity force wall rising up above?

Hopefully Oda will find some other way to prove us birdcage being not too overpowered rather than just rendering Flamingo unconscious.
Conceivably, Fuji is not using his full powers for fear of killing innocent civilians. To counteract something like the Birdcage would require a BFG, and anything that big would undoubtedly kill everyone around (who is not sufficiently powerful enough).

That being said, the Birdcage does seem unrealistically powerful (at least in comparison to Doffy's other abilities).
Old 2015-05-28, 08:21   Link #19
ri0

Holy moly, once a-mother-fckng-gain, I just have to say, what I said a couple of times already: Doflamingo seriously surprised me. I mean, we knew he´d be the first worthy New World opponent but what´s going on right now is just insane...

I really like how Oda portrays everyone (except Burgess -.-) working together to end their suffering and defeat Doflamingo. Luffy will have a massive party behind himself when this is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintokifan22
I can already hear the fandom saying how weak this is making Luffy weak, that's what I've been hearing around lately.
Really? Personally, I think Luffy has improved quite a lot. He still kind of is an air-head when it comes to fighting sometimes, but his power clearly has been polished. It´s just that there are people out there, that also know about their DFs and have accumulated quite some experience while they were around.
Luffy is doing fine... it was already hinted, that he would need help against Kaido (hence the alliance) and I´m totally fine with him getting help here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten
If I remember correctly, so far, it was only used to heal physical wounds. Though Luffy´s looks completely beaten up, he is more exhausted and drained than injured - perhaps that explains it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246
Conceivably, Fuji is not using his full powers for fear of killing innocent civilians. To counteract something like the Birdcage would require a BFG, and anything that big would undoubtedly kill everyone around (who is not sufficiently powerful enough).
For the same reason (the collateral damage), I am really interested in Koala´s abilities/powers. She implied that she could do something about Luffy´s situation, but feared that he could get hurt as well.
Old 2015-05-28, 08:24   Link #20
Belise
Rokushiki User
*Artist

The birdcage is just plot-powered, that's all.
Closed Thread