AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index LN - New Testament SS Rating
Perfect 10 13 38.24%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 5 14.71%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 23.53%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 14.71%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 5.88%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 2.94%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-09-12, 04:37   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

To Aru Majutsu no Index LN - New Testament SS Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for To Aru Majutsu no Index LN, New Testament SS.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events (past New Testament SS) must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the volume or arc if it has not yet been released.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-12, 04:52   Link #2
R.LocK
My turn

My, my, so Golden Bough is a grimoire, too.
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-12, 04:57   Link #3
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Right so to very briefly summarize...

Daily life of a magical Index doing suspicious activities to acquire sizable amount of money to buy questionable gifts for a normal highschool boy living with her...

And Egyptians.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-12, 04:59   Link #4
R.LocK
My turn

...Waiiiit, could it be that Leep observed Touma in Denmark?
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-12, 06:54   Link #5
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker

Damn that was a nice story, Index was so cool and that part with the dead girl made my eyes tear up
Intellectual Village: Volume 6 Chapter 3
Mitou Shoukan:// Blood Sign Volume 1 Chapter 1
Heavy Object: Volume 10 Complete
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Volume 7 Chapter 2
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Volume 12 Chapter 12
Rokka no Yuusha Volume 4 Chapter 1

Kenju of the Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-12, 07:08   Link #6
silverexorcist
Tropes/cliché expert

So called it on Bast and Egyptian mythology. I'm a little surprised that my theory was right. In any case, it was nice to see some of the other girls who have pretty much faded into the background in the main story (particularly Kazakiri). What's more, the trend of magicians sneaking into the Academy City no problem continues. You'd think they'd have done something about their security by now...

Last edited by silverexorcist; 2014-09-12 at 08:02.
silverexorcist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-12, 08:08   Link #7
LazyHunter

It was sweet of Index to use her money to buy Touma a gift.

The Egyptian magician was nice and we got a little more information about grimoires and managed to see some characters who have been relegated to the background in the main novels like Kuroko, Hyouka or Maika. All in all a very good (if short) story. Here I post Haimura's design of the egyptian magician.
Spoiler for Leep Design:
LazyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-12, 08:22   Link #8
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
“Are you sure this is what you want to buy? It’s not exactly a sexy gift.” “It’s fine. If it makes Touma happy, that’s all that matters.”
HHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!

Easily the most positive light shed on Index in a very long time. Got to see her kind side, her funny and her rare cool side. And with an unexpected ending to boot in more ways than one (I was expecting the steam oven to blow up in Touma's face ) Also, pretty good depiction of The Book of the Dead. At first I thought "Index doesn't have the most important egyptian grimoire in her head already!? The hell, Laura!?" but then the different editions part and I went "Oh, right, it's custom made". At last, a grimoire I actually know something about.

And of course, another reminder that Endymion is canon
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-12, 08:37   Link #9
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyHunter View Post
It was sweet of Index to use her money to buy Touma a gift.

The Egyptian magician was nice and we got a little more information about grimoires and managed to see some characters who have been relegated to the background in the main novels like Kuroko, Hyouka or Maika. All in all a very good (if short) story. Here I post Haimura's design of the egyptian magician.
Spoiler for Leep Design:
Considering that she is the first middle eastern character in the series, Haimura did a good job in designing her.
Old 2014-09-12, 08:59   Link #10
WiliamZ0

So we gonna see Egyptian next ? :3

SS always give us some foreshadowing and here I thought we gonna see Greek next

It's interesting ... cat eh :3

But, the SS ... too short for me, especially when compared to the OT SS
WiliamZ0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-12, 09:24   Link #11
Hiromin
A.K.A ElpIDa

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiliamZ0 View Post
So we gonna see Egyptian next ? :3
SS always give us some foreshadowing and here I thought we gonna see Greek next
Yes I think we would get Egyptian mythology magicians this time, and I LIKE that (I thought we would see Greek too and I would've preferred if it was Greek, but Egyptian myth is also great xD )

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiliamZ0 View Post
It's interesting ... cat eh :3
If we get all the gods that appear in the Greek myths, then expect a crocodile and an eagle and a jackal and a wind god and the underworld god (the god of the dead) and a sun god and a goddes of magic (seeing her, AKA Isis, would be interesting. A goddes of magic in a story about magic xD ) and others. It would be very nice to see them in Toaru *_* ( I want to see Anubis!!! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT SS: "Egyptian mythology" passage
"Then again, it’s really your fault for giving your cat a name like that. Once I hear that, how am I supposed to resist using it?"
Does anyone think that Kamachi probably thought about this from the start and named Sphinx with a name related to Egyptian myths because he planned to introduce them since writing the first volumes of OT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by "NT SS: Highest god" passage
"Ptah, the highest god in Egyptian mythology"
I wanted to ask, isn't Osiris the highest god? And before him was Ra who got old so Osiris took his place?
Does anyone here has more concrete knowledge about this so he clarifies this please?
Old 2014-09-12, 09:45   Link #12
silverexorcist
Tropes/cliché expert

Ra and Osiris are more important, but Ptah is considered a creator god. I find it interesting that Kamachi-dono would interpret that as 'highest', though.

Old 2014-09-12, 09:45   Link #13
dragon1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElpIDa View Post
Yes I think we would get Egyptian mythology magicians this time, and I LIKE that (I thought we would see Greek too and I would've preferred if it was Greek, but Egyptian myth is also great xD )

If we get all the gods that appear in the Greek myths, then expect a crocodile and an eagle and a jackal and a wind god and the underworld god (the god of the dead) and a sun god and a goddes of magic (seeing her, AKA Isis, would be interesting. A goddes of magic in a story about magic xD ) and others. It would be very nice to see them in Toaru *_* ( I want to see Anubis!!! )

Does anyone think that Kamachi probably thought about this from the start and named Sphinx with a name related to Egyptian myths because he planned to introduce them since writing the first volumes of OT?

I wanted to ask, isn't Osiris the highest god? And before him was Ra who got old so Osiris took his place?
Does anyone here has more concrete knowledge about this so he clarifies this please?
Not exactly wrong, since Ptah is one of the gods of creation Alongside Amun and many other, Generally to most people Amun is treated as the greatest among gods, Osiris is simply the First Pharaoh of Eqypt, which make people mistaken him from the greatest of Pharaoh to gods.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-12, 09:48   Link #14
LazyHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElpIDa View Post
I don't know much about Egyptian mythology so I might be wrong but I think Ptah was one of their primordial gods and the one who created the world in the Memphis version of creation, Ra and Osiris coming later (something like Zeus being king of the gods in Greek mythology but coming after Uranus and Cronus). Of course Egyptian mythology gets a little convoluted with its gods and has several creation myths depending on cities (since each city would push their god to be more important than the rest) so other cities believed the creator god to be Atum, Amun or any of those gods that aren't as well-known in popular culture.
Old 2014-09-12, 10:02   Link #15
Draco Spirit

So... with all the animal heads in Egyptian mythology, do you think Kamachi is going to be sneaking in jackal girls and such?
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-12, 10:05   Link #16
silverexorcist
Tropes/cliché expert

It's going to be a monster girl extravaganza. That 'beast girl heroine' from NT2 needs her chance to show up again.

Old 2014-09-12, 10:05   Link #17
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I remember on history channel something like later they started worshipping the sun god as an 'Almighty' god.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-12, 10:09   Link #18
Hiromin
A.K.A ElpIDa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I remember on history channel something like later they started worshipping the sun god as an 'Almighty' god.
That's partially what I thought at first too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverexorcist View Post
Ra and Osiris are more important, but Ptah is considered a creator god. I find it interesting that Kamachi-dono would interpret that as 'highest', though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
Not exactly wrong, since Ptah is one of the gods of creation Alongside Amun and many other, Generally to most people Amun is treated as the greatest among gods, Osiris is simply the First Pharaoh of Egypt, which make people mistaken him from the greatest of Pharaoh to gods.
Quote:
I don't know much about Egyptian mythology so I might be wrong but I think Ptah was one of their primordial gods and the one who created the world in the Memphis version of creation, Ra and Osiris coming later (something like Zeus being king of the gods in Greek mythology but coming after Uranus and Cronus). Of course Egyptian mythology gets a little convoluted with its gods and has several creation myths depending on cities (since each city would push their god to be more important than the rest) so other cities believed the creator god to be Atum, Amun or any of those gods that aren't as well-known in popular culture.
I understand it now Thanks for the explanation everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco Spirit View Post
So... with all the animal heads in Egyptian mythology, do you think Kamachi is going to be sneaking in jackal girls and such?
It's possible, but...
Noooo, I don't want that. I would be angry if Kamachi did that. The jackal god is Anubis. And he is my favorite among Egyptian gods. I don't want him to be turned to a joke... And i won't accept any other gender for HIM. Anubis is male in my mind I would be angry if he becomes a female goddess (like how Odin/Othinus became a female in Toaru). I think the priest who is following Anubis path in Toaru would have to be male
(I mean no offence btw, just expressing my opinion. Sorry if I went too far )

Last edited by Hiromin; 2014-09-12 at 10:26.
Hiromin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-12, 10:17   Link #19
LazyHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I think that was the 18th Dinasty when they fused together Amun (god of wind) and Ra (god of the sun) into Amun-Ra, making him king of the gods and the national deity of the entire kingdom.
Old 2014-09-12, 10:19   Link #20
Hiromin
A.K.A ElpIDa

Quote:
I think that was the 18th Dinasty when they fused together Amun (god of wind) and Ra (god of the sun) into Amun-Ra, making him king of the gods and the national deity of the entire kingdom.
Ah right. Now that you mention it, I remember I learned this in history class too.