AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-24, 23:27   Link #181
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Sure, many first-time watchers are usually confused by it, since the series is rather unorthdox. May I ask what part don't you understand? It's not the easiest thing in the world to give a plot synopsis for an 8-volume novel, so if you could ask some specific questions, that'd help.
Old 2007-02-24, 23:37   Link #182
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
It's not the easiest thing in the world to give a plot synopsis for an 8-volume novel
Then you're in luck, as I think he's asking for a plot synopsis of a 14-episode anime

If you didn't get it the first time around, try watching it in chronological order. I think Wikipedia (among other places) has it.
Old 2007-03-01, 10:10   Link #183
cyclo

Kyon Order vs Haruhi Order

I just finished the entire series yesterday (yes in a day because it was so good it kept me glued to my computer). Right now, I have so many things I want to say about the series, but I don't think I can list it all out here. Anyway, not many people will read this post in the first place (considering this is already a 10-page thread with views from so many people). So I'm just going to comment on the storyline, to help you decide which way you want to watch the anime in.

Storyline
There are two ways to watch this series.
1. The Haruhi Order - ie. the first screwed up episode order that haruhi says.
2. The Kyon Order - ie. the correction made by Kyon which tells you what happens in the next episode in broadcast/episode number order.

The Kyon Order
This order, is screwed up. It's so screwed up, that it put a super-confusing episode as the first episode. Why? Well, if you don't get the first episode, you probably won't get the rest of the series watching it in this order. In fact, I feel that by broadcasting the series in this manner, the broadcasting station essentially reduces the size of the target audience, which is a bad thing for the broadcasting station of course.

The Kyon Order essentially mixes up the timeline, however it turns the plotline into a typical anime's plotline. Introduction -> Character Development -> Rising Conflict -> Climax -> Resolution.

My take on this, BORING.

For one, it is confusing, which is unnecessary. (but i guess it was inevitable if you want to have 2 different ways to watch one series) It also loses the amazingly powerful underlying message at the end of the series. Your conclusion at the end of the series after watching it in the Kyon Order, is that your life is boring and you should get your butt off your tv screens and do something about it. And you feel jealousy, (yes admit it), the life of the characters seem so much more interesting, and at the same time, so possible... That's how most movies and animes and tv series make people feel anyway. envy.

On the other hand, watching it in the

Haruhi Order
leaves a much deeper impression, and a totally different message. It's not so confusing this time, but the story climaxes and resolves in the middle of nowhere. Some people go wtf? what's there to watch now that Kyon kissed Haruhi and the world is saved blah blah blah. Yea, there really isn't much left to watch, afterall, its just everyday school life from that point on.

However it is exactly because its everyday school life from that point on, that makes the end so much more meaningful. Even though its just everyday school life, nothing much interesting going on besides things that probably happen in YOUR school (if you are still a student) as well, the author manages to make it interesting.

When you watch episode 9 in Kyon order, you might be asking what the hell is the director trying to show, when half the time yuki is sitting in the room stoning, and all you do is watch her stone.

When you watch episode 9 in Haruhi order, which makes it the last episode, it becomes a reminder that sometimes, you don't have to seek for new things, because you probably already have all of it right in front of you. The haruhi order puts all the action at the front, and then after that, and more so in the last episode, you begin to see that life is beautiful the way it is. The tranquility that you feel when watching Yuki sit there and enjoy her book is amazing, definitely a different experience than that of watching it in the Kyon order.
This morning when I went to school, I began to realised that I never noticed many things that were right there, in my school grounds, and along my way to school all this while. I used to go to school everyday, dreading the ride and walk there. But today, I realised that by perceiving this journey to be boring and routine, I have shut down my senses to the little interesting things that happen all around me, as i make the journey. If you get what I mean...
-------------------

For those of you who haven't, watch the series again in Haruhi order, and it may just change the way you look at everyday life.

I especially liked the very last scene of episode 9... Rainy days will never be dull again for me.
Old 2007-03-01, 16:28   Link #184
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

I found it enjoyable in both orders...it's no like your enjoyment must be mutually exclusive. Maybe that's why I didn't make such a fuss about the DVD orders...
Old 2007-03-02, 23:43   Link #185
Re[Sublimity]

I would really like to see more of this series. There is actually another season returning because of the hit of the show. I would really like to see a blooming romance between Kyon and Haruhi. It just seemed that those two were meant to be with one another.
Old 2007-03-03, 00:07   Link #186
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re[Sublimity] View Post
I would really like to see a blooming romance between Kyon and Haruhi. It just seemed that those two were meant to be with one another.
Mmm... read the novels
It's funny: I get the feeling that he wants to be with Mikuru, that Yuki wants to be with him, but that he will somehow ultimately end up with Haruhi. Funny thing is, Mikuru may already know who the lucky lady will be
Old 2007-03-03, 23:27   Link #187
X207
Gamyūsa

any places with the manga scanlations?
Old 2007-03-04, 00:12   Link #188
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
any places with the manga scanlations?
The manga is fail. Read the novels.
Old 2007-03-04, 00:20   Link #189
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
The manga is fail. Read the novels.
ah ty for clearing that, used to and still reading inuyasha scanlations, so wasnt sure how further haruhi stories were published
Old 2007-03-12, 18:00   Link #190
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

The only thing i dont get, and it contains spoilers so i'm gonna be safe:

Spoiler for About Haruhi's actions:
Old 2007-03-12, 18:06   Link #191
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHige View Post

Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-15, 00:48   Link #192
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:

We KNOW Haruhi wanted to be with Kyon...
Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-16, 21:25   Link #193
Kittie Rose

I really would have liked to see him with Mikuru, she's so adorable I feel so sorry for her all the time! I just can't picture him in an actual relationship with Haruhi. It's kind of scary.

I liked the series but I'm not so sure I like the idea of her being, basically, God. Normally I do feel ambiguity is a bit overdone with these kind of things, but I think it would have been more interesting to see "official" other explanations of what's going on. I don't mean the horrid "Most mudane explanation possible" cop out, I hate that.

The idea of the entire world revolving around anyone person or thing just gets to me a little. It's why monotheistic religions like Christianity have always been a turn off for me, but older pagan religions always seemed much more fascinating; more diversity.

Also, did she not only create a new earth, but a whole new universe? The earth thing I could buy a little, but a whole new universe is going out on a limb...

It was a great series, over all. It does make me wonder how they'll continue the story though.

Also, the first episode was my favourite. It was hilarious and a fantastic indirect introduction to the characters. It was really great how it foreshadowed what the characters would be revealed to be in subsequent episodes. You don't need to know who the characters are. That's like saying any first episode is shit because you haven't invested enough time and care in them yet. I got exactly the right feeling from who all the characters were, especially Haruhi, even though she only appeared on screen for a few seconds!

I can see why Americans would be turned off by it though. It's "silly" humour, not a serious attempt at humour and I find a lot of westerners have sticks up their asses when it comes to that(yet series like Friends, Will and Grace and The War at Home are obviously SO hilarious). Humour doesn't "Have" to be forumalted like that.

I want to see "silly" humour make a big comeback. Something like Monty Python only more chaotic. Something like The Young Ones maybe!

Last edited by Kittie Rose; 2007-03-16 at 21:53.
Old 2007-03-16, 22:07   Link #194
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittie Rose View Post
I really would have liked to see him with Mikuru, she's so adorable I feel so sorry for her all the time! I just can't picture him in an actual relationship with Haruhi. It's kind of scary.

I liked the series but I'm not so sure I like the idea of her being, basically, God. Normally I do feel ambiguity is a bit overdone with these kind of things, but I think it would have been more interesting to see "official" other explanations of what's going on. I don't mean the horrid "Most mudane explanation possible" cop out, I hate that.

The idea of the entire world revolving around anyone person or thing just gets to me a little. It's why monotheistic religions like Christianity have always been a turn off for me, but older pagan religions always seemed much more fascinating; more diversity.

Also, did she not only create a new earth, but a whole new universe? The earth thing I could buy a little, but a whole new universe is going out on a limb...
Well, that's part of the fun. It's also why Kyon gave Koizumi that completely befuddled expression during their conversation on the quad. Some, like in Koizumi's "Agency," do see her as God. Nagato sees her as what basically amounts to a fountain of data. Mikuru sees her as the source of a time distortion/anomaly. In "reality" (term used loosely ), Haruhi could be any one of these things, a combination of two, or all three. even by volume seven (I'm still working on reading eight) we still don't really know, but it's pretty apparent that she's not just an average kid.

Quote:
I can see why Americans would be turned off by it though. It's "silly" humour, not a serious attempt at humour and I find a lot of westerners have sticks up their asses when it comes to that(yet series like Friends, Will and Grace and The War at Home are obviously SO hilarious). Humour doesn't "Have" to be forumalted like that.

I want to see "silly" humour make a big comeback. Something like Monty Python only more chaotic. Something like The Young Ones maybe!
Slapstick humor (what you've termed "silly" humor) is pretty universal, so I don't really see that being a problem. Rather, I see a problem with the more subtle aspects like why Nagato is just so darn adorable sometimes; why Koizumi constantly annoys Kyon; how Mikuru is affected by her timid nature and the abuse it invites; how Haruhi develops after finally finding a place she belongs with people she belongs with (and ultimately how she'll deal with having to abandon these things one day); and Kyon's reaction to, perception of, and role in all this.
Of course, these things aren't always funny, and aren't always meant to be. Americans seem to have trouble figuring out when to laugh (we only abandoned those horrid laugh tracks a decade or so ago), so it'll be interesting to see how they recieve these elements.
Old 2007-03-17, 16:25   Link #195
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

actually americans have yet to abandon those laugh tracks...new series are still using them. Basically typical americans (not all) needs to be told when to do something since they really have no clue on wat to do, that can be humor, business management, or w/e. i'm not trying to be offensive or anything, but typical americans just dont have a clue wat they want
Old 2007-03-17, 17:30   Link #196
Kittie Rose

Quote:
actually americans have yet to abandon those laugh tracks...new series are still using them. Basically typical americans (not all) needs to be told when to do something since they really have no clue on wat to do, that can be humor, business management, or w/e. i'm not trying to be offensive or anything, but typical americans just dont have a clue wat they want
I'd have to agree to an extent. Americans are just that little bit more "follow the leader" in certain things than Japan or Europe.

I have trouble on a lot of message boards because I can't accept rules without question, I need logical justification as to why I have to limit my behaviour. For me, no matter who owns it, every board should be moderated so it offers the greatest good for the most people, while not ignoring the minority. "My board, my rules", makes me want to stab someone in the face, because it's a vast oversimplification.

There is one thing, that, for me, really personifies this.

Judge Dredd, a popular British comic, was originally about an ANTI-hero. Or a villian, pretty much. He was an asshole. He was an entertaining asshole, but people knew that he wasn't an "Idol", persay, but an anti-idol. He wasn't meant to be the coolest guy on the planet. I AM THE LAW! is a very arrogant, illogical thing to say.

And lo and behold, america gets it's hands on the property, and turns him into the GOOD GUY without changing his philosophy in the slightest! Suddenly, this authoritarian, self centred dick is the epitome of cool.

The exact same thing happens on the internet. People who complain about things are seen as "whiners" but massive assholes are celebrated.

This is why most americans shouldn't admin forums. They're all Judge Dredd wannabes.

And unfortunately, since the Internet is completely engulfed in american culture, it doesn't just have to be an actual american anymore.

I don't want to offend americans since they make up 90% of this forum, but you have some serious problems in your culture's mentality. So does Japan for that matter, but that's another story.
Old 2007-03-17, 19:15   Link #197
Furudanuki

Folks, if you want to engage in a little "America bashing" there are plenty of places where you are welcome to do so, but it is WAY off topic for this particular thread.

Quote:
I'd have to agree to an extent. Americans are just that little bit more "follow the leader" in certain things than Japan or Europe.
Kittie Rose, I'm guessing that you are injecting a large dose of hyperbole here. Either that or I have to assume that you have never spent a significant amount of time anywhere near Japan.
Old 2007-03-19, 17:11   Link #198
hikaru2895
GPL Freedom Fighter

Quote:
I don't want to offend americans since they make up 90% of this forum, but you have some serious problems in your culture's mentality.
I'm happy we created the internet for you so you can enjoy critizing us!
Old 2007-03-19, 17:18   Link #199
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Actually offtopic, but Tim Berners-Lee, who is credited for creating the World Wide Web, is British, not American.
Old 2007-03-22, 18:02   Link #200
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

And, of course, DARPA created the "internet" that used to be mostly for technoliteratti until the online services (AOL, Compuserve, etc) started connecting to it.

I feel imminently qualified to make fun of Americans since I have to live with them and am one .... but as Furu says, its offtopic and what I see so far involves some serious inaccuracies ("japan not follow the leader?" <snort laugh>) sooooooo ..... back to SHnY please.

If you want to discuss how certain cultures might not *get* SHnY thats fine... but be aware a significant portion of America does get -sciencefiction-comedy-slapstick-verbalhumor-sarcasm-satire-parody ... which makes up most of SHnY.... at least the demographic that would be interested anyway. Otherwise things like Monty Python or Hitchhiker's Guide would have never been minor hits here.

More likely, its the physics, philosophy, religious beliefs, and japan-cultural specifics that might leave many Americans confused... but then thats true of any country: not everyone gets those things. The show works on several levels .. but a full appreciation requires at least a good layman's understanding of those topics.