AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-03-15, 12:23   Link #381
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Unfortunately, the tack that because *some* vampires are bad, lets exterminate them *all*- doesn't throw a lot of sympathy to the humans (again... that should ring a familiar bell).
Elda *does* have an unfortunate side trait -- and she's a vampire from a "simpler" time. If she *doesn't* see that she's become a banner girl for the beliefs of Alfred's father and the ignorant mobs he manipulated, then yes she becomes evil. To some degree Karin's situation is a test of redemption for Elda -- will she understand the differences or will they simply have to seal her up again?
Old 2006-03-15, 21:48   Link #382
brightredglow

First time posting in this thread. Mostly just wanting to say how much I am enjoying this series. I started watching on a whim but steadily got hooked. The series started a little slow and even seemed a bit mundane in the details, but I now appreciate that it took that time so as to develop the "bond" between Karin and Kenta.

The aspect that surprises me the most is that Karin and Kenta are good without being boring. That's pretty darn special when you consider most heroes/heroines have problems up to their pointy noses. Karin and Kenta have their problems, but they do their best and are relatively angst free. (Even Karin's realization about how she feels about Kenta was not overly drawn out or overdone. All I can say to that is "thank you JC Staff!")

Karin is a sweetheart. Usually ditzy characters annoy me but she's got such a good heart and personality that she's completely irresistable.

Kenta's character is easy to overlook but he is key to the story. As a "hero", I find him refreshing in that he has a quirky look and he is not a pretty boy and he's not uber-powerful. He's just a guy and Karin, and the audience, grow fond of him, not because he is handsome or he's got the power to save the world, but because he's a nice guy. In this day and age of manga/anime, that is unique.

And I have to say that their relationship has to be one of the most charming and endearing "love" stories I've seen in a long time.

I like Karin's family and Kenta's mom. I'm as interested in them as I am in Karin and Kenta. Maki is adorable and I even like Winner.

About the only thing I can criticize is the Karin-molesting. She's got big boobs. We get it. Can we move on now? I hope it doesn't become an ongoing gag. That would be distracting from an otherwise excellent story.

Spoiler for Current eps...just to be safe:

I totally look forward to Friday and Saturdays when the first glimpses of the raw comes out and then the fast fansubbing. This show is truly a treat.

And on that note, I have to thank the different fansub groups for their work on getting this series out to us. It is much appreciated.
brightredglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 01:30   Link #383
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

brightredglow: heavily agreed about the boob-checks... its one of the lamest gags in anime and from my rather limited survey of japanese femmes - an activity that lies 99% *only* in the minds of pathetic animators.

Most of them commend Azumanga Daioh for being pretty realistic in the locker room (verbal remarks... and thats it) and dealing with leering old men at an early age.

Its the only minus point so far in this series from my viewpoint.... unless we want to see more of Maki

To some extent, Kenta and Karin remind me of the couple in Lamune --- kind of destined for each other. So I'll be royally pissed if they take this romance comedy and drag it through some dark tragic-mode with no relief at the end.
Old 2006-03-16, 01:39   Link #384
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
To some extent, Kenta and Karin remind me of the couple in Lamune --- kind of destined for each other. So I'll be royally pissed if they take this romance comedy and drag it through some dark tragic-mode with no relief at the end.
But they're very different though. Ken and Nanami were childhood friends, and they've always been together since then. Karin and Usui, however, just met at school, in the beginning of the series. They have no history together (Rather, its Winner who has some sort of "childhood memory" with Karin), and the reason they "got together" was due to the vampire issue in the first place.

Had Karin not been a vampire, they'd probably never would had talked to each other at all and lead their seperate lives.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 02:29   Link #385
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I get some Nanami/Ken vibes, too -- despite the big difference that they have no long history together. There's something unexpectedly comfortable in their relationship. Maybe more than in the manga.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 02:57   Link #386
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Like Kaoru said... I'm not talking about something as simplistic as a long history together ... its more like that deep "soul mate" kind of energy. They just seem innately comfortable around each other at this point.... they only seem to get nervous when its actually pointed out to them.
Old 2006-03-16, 03:08   Link #387
Eclipze

Well, if you're talking about that kind of vibe, then yea, I suppose so. But that kind of vibe seem to appear in quite a number of animes...Karin/Usui and Nanami/Ken's vibes are more of the, what I would call, "gentle couple". They dont really quarrel just for the sake of it (Rukia and Ichigo from Bleach, for example), nor are they perversely attracted to each other.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 03:19   Link #388
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

ahhh, THATS IT! They don't spend all their time in domestic abuse!!!!!
(insert any Love Hina-esque series here)
In comparison, its like a Zen Garden with couples like these.
Old 2006-03-16, 19:04   Link #389
Kitty-Cat in Blanket
Leering Catgirl

Send a message via AIM to Kitty-Cat in Blanket
Just to inject on the whole vampire sucking traits thing... it doesn't seem that in the anime it makes them the complete opposite of what they were... it just takes one trait and takes it away. So if a girl was stressed, and Ren bit them, they wouldn't be beach bums. They just wouldn't worry so much. Karin's was a little too over-the-top potent, it seems.

Elda didn't make Alfred hate her. But having the knowledge of her being a vampire overcome by love was the reason he didn't kill her. Without that love, he had no reason not to kill a monster. I hope that made sense.

All in all I liked episodes 15 and 16 a lot. Boogie-kun isn't very funny to me, but Anju and Winner made it worth it. xD
Kitty-Cat in Blanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 20:03   Link #390
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Episode 17

No idea what really when on, but some quick observations:
Spoiler for Episode 17:

Last edited by Catgirls; 2006-03-16 at 20:29.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 21:03   Link #391
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Well, that thing never happened in the anime, but I will comment on it in my next post.

YES!! Elda did make it
Spoiler:

There's lots of stuff that'll make you going around.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Guido; 2006-09-04 at 17:00.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 23:22   Link #392
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Another good episode. Have I said how good I think Yahagi Sayuri is as Karin? (Yes, many times.) What a rich voice!

NEWS: I see that Konami is advertising Yahagi Sayuri as one of the seiyuu representing them at the Tokyo Inteernational Anime Fair, in talks about their anime Otogizushi Akazukin on the 25th and 26th of this month. I guess this means that she has a role in the new series, which apparently will go this summer. That would mean she's already out of the late-night ghetto and into the comparatively lucrative (for the producers) kids' shows: this one will air at 9 a.m. Saturday, and stars Tamura Yukari.
Spoiler for ep17:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-03-17 at 22:22.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 01:26   Link #393
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

ep 17 babble:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-03-18, 05:36   Link #394
trademark
Likes to go to buffets

Hm...episode 17 was....ok?

Spoiler:

I'm curious as to what that 'thing' Guido was waiting to happen that did in the manga. Anyways, looking forward to next week's episode.
trademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 05:54   Link #395
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Hmm... Did anyone else notice
Spoiler:
Old 2006-03-18, 08:04   Link #396
solwyvern
▲wight
*Graphic Designer

*enters thread*
"I love Elda!!"

*leaves thread*
Old 2006-03-18, 10:48   Link #397
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Spoiler for Episode 17 ranting
Spoiler:
Old 2006-03-18, 11:20   Link #398
Furudanuki

Great episode!
Spoiler for Episode 17:
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 13:04   Link #399
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

The conclusion for the Elda arc was just thrilling and leaves the door open, since we haven't seen the last of Elda yet.

One of the best adapted plots from the manga to the anime.

That "thing" obviously never happened in the anime due to the added changes into the arc's storyline, henceforth, I will comment upon it now.
Spoiler:

The conclusion for the Elda arc in the anime delivers a subtle cliffhanger, possibly hinting at new plot devices for a future episode to come.
Spoiler:

Quite things that I want to comment for this episode.
Spoiler:

The climax quite hints and suggest connections what happened in the previous episode and what concludes at the end of this one.
Spoiler:

Next episode maybe or maybe not will be based on the Ren special from the manga.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 15:46   Link #400
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

I think it's ok to talk out of spoiler tags now, since episode 17 has been out fansubbed from quite a while (more than a full day as for now)

As for the main topic. Well, I see everybody being happy about this episode, and so am I

It was just great, one of the best so far. The shows has really taken some benefits from Elda's incoming. There's not much of the things I wanted to say that hasn't already brilliantly said by the others, so forgive me if there will be some repetitions ^^

++ The pace. Karin (the series) has never suffered of flaws such as slowlyness or being boring, but with Elda definitely settled things up. No pauses and a constant alternance between seriousness (sometimes parodic) and humorism.

++ The romance. Ah... the romance... /me whispers. I have to say, out of all the ongoing series I'm watching and relative couples involved, Usui and Maaka are definitely the most romantic one With that sweet lighthearted love clumsyness that always brings a smile, if not memories. To quote the Julian's director : "To be young!" (not that I'm old now , but I always like these kind of things, they somehow convey feelings in me ^^)

++ The side characters. They keep the spotlight just greatly. Starting from M-san , who is friend of K-san and likes W-kun. I'd like to count how many times Takahashi Mikako had to read that line (It's Tokitou Maki!) during the whole show, lol .
W-kun, who likes K-san and is liked by M-san. Oh well, this time I didn't hate him like usual ^^ He was even useful to save Usui from a bad situation. His voice remains annoying but, they somehow limited his presence in the show / or either way, they made the character more plausible to be sympathyzed with.

++ Yahagi Sayuri.

They're all plus ^^ Yes, I liked everything about this episode so there's really nothing to blame about it.
Well, episode 18 preview reveals Ren will be the protagonist, he's definitely not my favourite character here, but I'll manage to deal with that ^^

I made a few static avatars as well.

I personally love the first one. I'd use it myself if it wasn't that I'm mostly for animated ones.
But that was such a nice and heartwarming sequence ... /me whispers again

Oh, I have also another one, better to cover it though ^^

Spoiler for scary Elda:

Last edited by Pellissier; 2006-03-18 at 16:18. Reason: typo
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen