AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-05-11, 03:59   Link #1
Marine-RX179

Sister Princess explained (especially to those dislike the Re-Pure anime)

I would like to point out a few things to those that dislike Sister Princess (mainly because of the RePure anime).

Sister Princess's target audience was supposingly for the audiences of eastern countries, not western countries. Sister Princess is extremely popular in Japan because of the large amount of male audiences (Oni-chan wannabes) 'got a thing' for cute little sisters (not in a perverted way). It is simply because they most likely don't have a little sister in real-life, and the 12 little sisters is somewhat appeal to them as the ideal little sisters they never had. (For the recent years) Unlike Western countries with families have like a big family with like 4-5 brother and sisters, families for the Eastern countries tend to have only 1 child....or 2 because of the extremely high cost of living and over populated, that why it's quite uncommon for a guy to have a little sister no matter how badly he wants one (and for those that do have a little sister, oftenly they are just brats that get on their nerves and not even remotely close to 'cute').
So it's somewhat because of the cultural differences, that make western audiences feel differently from the eastern audiences.

Sister Princess was originally a graphic novel for the 'Dengeki G's Magazine' in Japan, where the creation of the settings for the 12 little sisters was via a poll by the readers. Then the title became extremely popular and the games and animes were being released for it.

I do agree that anime of RePure lack a decent storyline, but it's sololy targeted at Sister Princess fans who already know the 12 little sisters by heart, and the environment setting in RePure is based on the original setting for the games, so they weren't expecting people to approach RePure as their first contact with Sister Princess. Even though RePure lack entertaining stories, but it's still good enough for the true Sister Princess fans to watch to pass time even if the whole anime is nothing but except with the little sisters running around and doing various things on the screen (sounds kinda sad and lonely for someone to do that, but if you love the characters enough....why not).
People that only watched RePure won't know what the hell is going on without any previous knowledge of the characters and the world's settings.

If anyone have any comment, discussion or question, do feel free to post....but PLEASE! No random pointless flaming without reason!

Last edited by Marine-RX179; 2004-05-11 at 04:36.
Marine-RX179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 04:33   Link #2
Don Eunuch
Lin Er

I guess manga/anime really does fill voids in peoples hearts.
Don Eunuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 04:44   Link #3
Mr.Minou

Well I watched the 1st Sister Princess (I've not finished RePure yet) and I found it very entertaining it was a warm show and quite fun from time to time
Mr.Minou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 05:16   Link #4
Marine-RX179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Minou
Well I watched the 1st Sister Princess (I've not finished RePure yet) and I found it very entertaining it was a warm show and quite fun from time to time
In simpler term:
1st series: Better stories, but quality of the art work varys especially the middle sections of the whole series, the animators or the artwork director is obviously slacking off lol

2nd series (RePure): Art work close to perfection, as for the story....what story? I don't think there is any (sorry to say this as a Sister Princess fan lol). Like I said, RePure is nothing more than for Sister Princess fans to watch the little sisters moving around on the screen and get to know about them and their pass even more.........
Old 2004-05-11, 05:18   Link #5
bluemist
i am the mist

I've watched both series.

One thing I was not happy about in Re Pure is the lack of humor. The first series was pretty funny but I think Re Pure focused on the cuteness of the girls, how much they love their brother, and their simple (but sometimes weird) perils in life. Some of the stories (in the 1st half of each episode) are so weird, others are so boring, and some is downright unbelieveable. Oh look, young Kaho-chan worries that she may not be 'sexy' enough for her onii-chama... Karen-chan can't find her onii-chan in the promised place/time, and is in the verge of tears...

In defense for Re Pure, the second half is the better part, with great art/animation (the sisters being more beautifully drawn than the first part), soundtrack, not to mention a unique Ritsuko Okazaki song each episode. Again, the problems of having weird stories, but not too much here. In fact, I liked some girls better because of their respective special episode here.

In my opinion, maybe the initial thing that shocked viewers of Re Pure was the wedding dream sequence. Then they throw the cd out of the window and assumed the rest of the series is as 'incestful' as that. Some stuck on it, but later fell asleep by the boringness.
Old 2004-05-11, 05:32   Link #6
Marine-RX179

I got nothing to say for Karen's case, but I think your comment on that incident for Kaho is over-exaggerated a little....'sexy' is not the word I would use.....I don't think there's anything wrong for her to try to look at her absolutely best to meet the brother that she doesn't get to see or meet everyday.

Like I have said, RePure is definitely not the best material for people to come into contact with Sister Princess for the very first time.
Old 2004-05-11, 05:35   Link #7
marin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine-RX179
Sister Princess is extremely popular in Japan because of the large amount of male audiences (Oni-chan wannabes) 'got a thing' for cute little sisters (not in a perverted way).
Wait what?
marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 05:47   Link #8
Marine-RX179

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin
Wait what?
It would be more helpful if you actually be specific in what you are trying to say. But if you are asking what I think you are asking, all I can say is that true Sister Princess would not imagine or even bear the thought of the little sisters being violated in anyway (for those that do, they are just regular hentai and shouldn't be classed along side with the Sister Princess fans).
Old 2004-05-11, 09:05   Link #9
babbito2k
annoying white bat

The first series wasn't so hot either. The characterization was flat, leaning too much on the girls' obvious characteristics but not going any deeper than that. After awhile I realized that they just weren't gonna come across with any more.

I just remember how they would all perform some little character gimmick (one would eat breakfast on roller skates, the other would quietly cough into her handkerchief) and by the time they got done with the 12 gimmicks the episode would be over.

It would help your case to mention that the game in question is not an ero-game.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 09:38   Link #10
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Aria made me go insane.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 09:44   Link #11
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
sister princess was quite weird, and the plot was very similar to onegai twins

I guess japan's culture focus in weird sis- bro relationships..but its ok to me
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 09:44   Link #12
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Actually, it was the other way around for me.

I found the first season to be rather boring and a total drag that ruined the SisPre feel. I was more pleased with the second season "RePure" since it had a much higher animation quality, a more catchy OP theme, and a more closer, ほわ~としただだ甘い感じで、(;´Д` )ハァハァ・・・
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 09:47   Link #13
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
The only thing i found catchy was the op of the series

and the singer looked quite cute
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 10:01   Link #14
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
The first series wasn't so hot either. The characterization was flat, leaning too much on the girls' obvious characteristics but not going any deeper than that. After awhile I realized that they just weren't gonna come across with any more.

I just remember how they would all perform some little character gimmick (one would eat breakfast on roller skates, the other would quietly cough into her handkerchief) and by the time they got done with the 12 gimmicks the episode would be over.
Yeah, that's true. The girls were shallow in that they stuck to their stereotype, and rarely did anything outside it. Kind of a struggle, though, when you have 12 "main characters" competing for attention in the show. Especially given the established fan base - if they chose one character to develop over the others, the fans would probably be upset. It's a tough predicament. I would say, though, that the first series did have some sense of overall plot progression, whereas the second one had less. (I spent most of the series wanting to know why they split up and left Promise Island, but I don't think they ever said why.)

I enjoyed both series, but I definitely agree that, if you've never been exposed to the series before, you shouldn't watch RePure first - and it's not for everyone. If you watched the first Sister Princess and liked the characters, then you'll probably like RePure though. I thought it was quite cute, and it definitely had an excellent soundtrack.

Quote:
...all I can say is that true Sister Princess would not imagine or even bear the thought of the little sisters being violated in anyway (for those that do, they are just regular hentai and shouldn't be classed along side with the Sister Princess fans).
That is true. It seems to me that the concept of "pure romantic love" is pretty much lost in Western culture, espeically among guys, I'm afraid...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 10:18   Link #15
Marine-RX179

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
It would help your case to mention that the game in question is not an ero-game.
Sorry, I wasn't aware that people would automatically assume relationship base games are naturally equal to ero-game....guess I really should had clarified.......
Old 2004-05-11, 10:37   Link #16
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
Aria made me go insane.
By insane you meant in the good or bad way? It would be in the bad way for me...
She was the only thing that I would really hate in this anime, her voice was so... annoying...
But overall it's a cute anime if you forget about her, or cut the sound when she speaks
Old 2004-05-11, 10:51   Link #17
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't aware that people would automatically assume relationship base games are naturally equal to ero-game....guess I really should had clarified.......
Ero-games are commercially translated and localized into English but the console games with no erotic content are not. That's why even people who know something about these games might assume that they always contain erotic content.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 10:57   Link #18
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany
By insane you meant in the good or bad way? It would be in the bad way for me...
She was the only thing that I would really hate in this anime, her voice was so... annoying...
But overall it's a cute anime if you forget about her, or cut the sound when she speaks
Can you explain to me what the "good" kind of insane is? I had no idea there was one. Aria definitely made me insane in the BAD way. Did you remember her episode in Sister Princess RePure? Do you remember the short story she had in one of the episodes? It's obvious that some sort of demonic presence has taken control of Aria and has turned her mind into a festering ball of goop.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 11:00   Link #19
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
Can you explain to me what the "good" kind of insane is? I had no idea there was one. Aria definitely made me insane in the BAD way. Did you remember her episode in Sister Princess RePure? Do you remember the short story she had in one of the episodes? It's obvious that some sort of demonic presence has taken control of Aria and has turned her mind into a festering ball of goop.
Well I dunno about the 'good', but earlier today Jojo's star told me that my signature was making him going insane and gave me a 10/10 so I guess it could be a good insane too, though I don't think so.
And yes, I think I remember... That's mean to make me remember that
Old 2004-05-11, 11:12   Link #20
Marine-RX179

I think some people get confused with the use of words for 'crazy' and 'insane'. While 'crazy' for something can be either good or bad, but I think 'insane' is just plain bad.