AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-12-17, 14:24   Link #1
Theowne
耳をすませば

Kokuriko-Zaka Kara (Ghibli)

According the film journalist Hiroo Otaka, Ghibli has announced their next film, premiering next summer. It is called Kokuriko-Zaka Kara and is an adaptation of a shojo manga by Chizuru Takahashi and Tetsurō Sayama. According to ANN:

Quote:
The story is set in Showa 38 (1963, a year before the Tokyo Olympics) and follows the coming of age of an ordinary, pigtailed high school girl named Komatsuzaki in Yokohama, a harbor city near Tokyo. Her sailor father went missing after an accident, and her photographer mother is frequently going abroad for work. Her family now runs a lodging house. The manga recounts Komatsuzaki's everyday life of "laughter and tears" with two boys — a school newspaper member and the student council president.
Director: The film is being storyboarded and scripted by Hayao Miyazaki. However, it will be directed by Goro Miyazaki, who received mixed reception for his first project, "Tales from Earthsea".

I am not particularly a fan of Goro, but the subject matter and the fact that the elder Miyazaki is storyboarding is enough to keep me excited. The no-fantasy setting and subject remind me very much of Mimi o Sumaseba.

Full ANN article here: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...aka-kara-manga

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-17, 15:42   Link #2
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I'm just pleased Goro is directing another Ghibli film. I rather enjoyed Tales from Earthsea, though i'll admit it wasn't what it should have been when looking at the original novels and such.

Loving the summary. I'm all for this film so much.
Old 2010-12-17, 19:49   Link #3
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Honestly, I didn't mind that Earthsea was a loose adaptation from the books as much as that the movie felt like it had very little content. And was boring for a good chunk of the first half. And had an anticlimactic end.

Well, it looked pretty at least ...

But yeah, looking forward to this film, and I'm sort of glad that Goro and his father seem to be getting along, and he didn't give up on making more movies. Hopefully this time it'll be better.

Last edited by Arabesque; 2010-12-18 at 09:45. Reason: correcting English
Arabesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-17, 20:41   Link #4
Theowne
耳をすませば

I also found the film underwhelming, though I admit I was slightly biased against it. The spilling out of personal issues between father and son during the Earthsea production probably did not work in Goro's favour, since many "devotees" of the elder Miyazaki were predisposed to dislike it based on his disapproval. Now, however, it certainly seems as though there has been some degree of "patching up", and I certainly think having the elder Miyazaki involved heavily in planning this second film will make Goro's relatively sudden ascent to multiple-film Ghibli director more palatable to skeptics.

The film itself seems interesting too. When I read the description and setting, I imagine shades of Whisper, Ocean Waves, and Ponyo.

Old 2010-12-18, 02:45   Link #5
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I lol'd at the adaption of earthsea having read the book years before. I couldn't help but laugh at what was changed XD The books aren't really that exciting either mind you. But there was so much that wouldn't make sense unless you read about certain characters they like mixed up a lot of things.

Looking forward to it anyway!
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-18, 02:49   Link #6
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Ehhh... Miyazaki Goro?

I won't probably watch this.
Old 2010-12-18, 04:52   Link #7
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Ehhh... Miyazaki Goro?

I won't probably watch this.
Yeah i had a feeling this would happen. Why not give him a chance, seriously?
Old 2010-12-18, 05:00   Link #8
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I'm getting Whispers of the Heart vibes from this...
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-18, 05:10   Link #9
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Yeah i had a feeling this would happen. Why not give him a chance, seriously?
He shouldn't have been given a chance in the first place considering he had no experience, ton of other anime Directors that are talented should have been given their chance not some guy who happened to be the son of Miyazaki. That and the fact that Earthsea was garbage. Note that Hayao refused to participate in the film despite the point of bringing in new directors to train and mentor them, Goro determined to complete the film to prove his father wrong.

But hey maybe he's 2nd film won't suck this time.

Last edited by ZODDGUTS; 2010-12-18 at 05:33.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-18, 08:07   Link #10
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Note that Hayao refused to participate in the film
That has changed this time He is involved heavily here. I think that's enough to give it a chance, no?

Old 2010-12-18, 09:40   Link #11
FireChick

Yeah. And besides, who knows? Perhaps Goro might be better at doing slice-of-life anime than action-packed anime.

And...speaking of Earthsea, I STILL can't get over the fact that Olivia Benson from Law and Order SVU was cast as one of the characters for the upcoming English dub. That's still a shocker for me.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-18, 14:57   Link #12
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
Yeah. And besides, who knows? Perhaps Goro might be better at doing slice-of-life anime than action-packed anime.

And...speaking of Earthsea, I STILL can't get over the fact that Olivia Benson from Law and Order SVU was cast as one of the characters for the upcoming English dub. That's still a shocker for me.
LMAO who is she cast as? Wait I know she must be ...I was right XD Tenar God they so messed those books up bad...would have been cool if they did one but it would be pretty long....
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-18, 16:43   Link #13
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

I'm not much of a fan of Earthsea, I don't think I'd say it was bad per say but it just didn't quite grab me.
Well I am interested in this, when Ghibli do this type of "normal, slice of life" setting, I kinda get really interested even tho I generally like fantasy more.
Old 2010-12-18, 18:01   Link #14
Theowne
耳をすませば

Interestingly, nearly all of the "normal, realistic" Ghibli films were done in the first decade or so of its existence. After Whisper in 1995, it's been almost purely fantasy, with the exception of the slightly oddball Yamadas.

Old 2010-12-18, 18:04   Link #15
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Interestingly, nearly all of the "normal, realistic" Ghibli films were done in the first decade or so of its existence. After Whisper in 1995, it's been almost purely fantasy, with the exception of the slightly oddball Yamadas.
I'll give a warm welcome to that type of Ghibli film. Not that i don't enjoy the fantasy, though it was best back in the day when themes were changed from film to film.
Old 2010-12-21, 19:02   Link #16
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Will watch it but with more critical eyes since I was disappointed with Earthsea.
Old 2010-12-21, 19:12   Link #17
cyth
Banned

I'm amazed at all the naysayers. I didn't like Gedo Senki enough to watch it based on its reviews, but the reason why the industry doesn't produce good feature-length directors anymore is because they don't get second chances, getting work on new films like they used to. So for better or worse, I'm glad Studio Ghibli finally started revisiting some of their other directors.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 15:20   Link #18
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

The teaser trailer appeared last Thursday (July 7), and the movie will premiere on Saturday (July 16). It looks, and sounds, promising. That's a soothing song by Aoi Teshima, who in Tales of Earthsea also sang Therru's Song, one of that movie's brighter highlights. Depending on my plans, I might just be able to catch From Up on Poppy Hill in cinemas there about a fortnight from now. Wish me luck!

TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 15:41   Link #19
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

It looks and sounds fantastic. I hope you'll be able to see the film TinyRedLeaf, so you can tell us all about it.
Old 2011-07-12, 15:59   Link #20
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I am a big Ghibli fan in general, so I will definitely give this one a try.

Oh, and best of luck to you TinyRedLeaf.