AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-02, 17:39   Link #1
Seiryuu

Extremely DARK works that have a GOOD end

I was wondering what anime/manga was out there that was truly dark and depressing, but somehow managed to pull off a good ending that spoke of hope. Naturally, the series has to pull it off, make it work so that it feels like a proper part of the story. The story doesn't have to start dark, but the majority of the story should seem to be a constantly growing despair from which there seems no escape.

One great example has appeared this last season:
Spoiler:

This might not be the best example, but it's the first that comes to mind and the one that made me think of making this thread.
Old 2011-07-02, 17:57   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Off the top of my head - Now and Then, Here and There, but it wasn't that nice of an ending...
Old 2011-07-02, 18:18   Link #3
GreatTeacherKen

^^

Well, compared to the rest of the series, it was relatively happy.

The two series I can think are both horror anime:

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni- the first season ends on an open-ended note, but the 2nd season resolves the mystery, and has what you're looking for.

and

Perfect Blue
Old 2011-07-02, 18:24   Link #4
Seiryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTeacherKen View Post
^^

Well, compared to the rest of the series, it was relatively happy.

The two series I can think are both horror anime:

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni- the first season ends on an open-ended note, but the 2nd season resolves the mystery, and has what you're looking for.

and

Perfect Blue
I should've put Higurashi, that's a very good show. Don't know that I've ever watched Perfect Blue.
Old 2011-07-02, 20:39   Link #5
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Hmmm... Dark with a good ending... Well I don't know if it's dark enough for you (i haven't seen the example you gave, though I have seen Higurashi and I think Higurashi was darker) but maybe Shangri-La? I'm pretty sure it had a happy enough ending, and I do rremember some dark themes/moments. Nothing to the extent of Higurashi (like brutal murders) iirc though.

I'm hesitant to suggest this one (for multiple reasons, including that I haven't seen the end of the third season) but maybe Jigoku Shoujo? I don't know how the 3rd season ends, but depending on how you define a "good" ending, I think the first had an ok one in terms of over-arching story. However the way the series is setup, each episode is sort of it's own contained story and the darkness in each is generally resolved sort of happily.

Again, for the good ending it's debatable from what I remember and have seen... But there is definitely a pretty dark side to this one, probably about on par with Higurashi from what I remember.

We will always exist before our Mistress of the Night Sky, Hayate
Old 2011-07-03, 00:43   Link #6
Ascendant

Kara no Kyoukai
Claymore
Zegapain

might not be exactly what you are looking for but nevertheless good series that gave me similar feelings:

scrapped princess
noein
Old 2011-07-03, 02:37   Link #7
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Send a message via AIM to Sin of Memories Send a message via MSN to Sin of Memories Send a message via Yahoo to Sin of Memories
Darker than Black comes to mind when I think dark. Same with Claymore.
Old 2011-07-03, 06:34   Link #8
User68604
Disabled By Request

rainbow

very dark- starts off with a bang.. but tells an amazing story. sadism, molestation, rape, violence, abandonment, abuse - is the name of the game, but the main protagonists truck on thru the obstacles
Old 2011-07-03, 06:40   Link #9
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
I'll second Perfect Blue

Might edit this later when I think of some more
Old 2011-07-04, 08:20   Link #10
Seiryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascendant View Post
Kara no Kyoukai
Claymore
Zegapain

might not be exactly what you are looking for but nevertheless good series that gave me similar feelings:

scrapped princess
noein
I'll have to watch Claymore and Zegapain. I've only watched a few eps of Noein before quitting when I read on wikipedia that
Spoiler:
If it actually is able to make a good end out of that, then I'll just have to look!
Scrapped Princess anime was kinda dark, but not too dark. The novels, on the other hand, are just about as dark and gruesome as possible. At least the few early novels that I've managed to get my hands on. The description of a strategic-level spell that instantly lowers the atmospheric pressure in a large area around a town to near-vacuum points is particularly extreme.
Old 2011-07-04, 08:27   Link #11
ubiquitial
戯言遣い

Maa-chan and Mii-kun, manga, movie, and novel.
Old 2011-07-05, 19:36   Link #12
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-07-08, 22:02   Link #13
kitten320

Mai HiME, and with the example you gave I only have to second Mai HiME again.

Then there always is Clannad, After story will work better though.

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin not purely good but still positive, especially for the 1st major arc.

Shiki, whole village starts to die and there doesn't seem to be any hope for survival

I would say Wolf's Rain pull off that trick, but you have to watch all OVAs too.

The last part in Claymore also will work.
Old 2011-07-09, 01:59   Link #14
Ascendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
If it actually is able to make a good end out of that, then I'll just have to look!
wouldn't have suggested it if that wasn't the case

Quote:
Scrapped Princess anime was kinda dark, but not too dark. The novels, on the other hand, are just about as dark and gruesome as possible. At least the few early novels that I've managed to get my hands on. The description of a strategic-level spell that instantly lowers the atmospheric pressure in a large area around a town to near-vacuum points is particularly extreme.
yep it's not that dark per se, but it just had this sense of dread to me. interesting that the novels are darker. I have read them a little but stopped for one reason or another (mostly because I already knew the overall plot). might start to read it again some time.
Closed Thread