2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.27%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-07-30, 17:35   Link #21
Idle Eve
Tip of the Brink.

Send a message via AIM to Idle Eve Send a message via MSN to Idle Eve
Okay, where to begin? Alright, I've watched Higurashi from the start to the most recent episode. I have to say that around 13- 15 my faith dwindled. Now, with the recent Shion arcs, I have to say I'm ready to place serious considerations into studying Higurashi. As a writer (and not very good at that.), I think it's important to be able to engage the readers into placing false assumptions and/or clues that make the reading intriguing. Well, whenever I read, it feels fun to see how facts add up.

Now... enough about my bias. I was always curious about Shion and Satoshi's relationship. Also, I was curious about Shion's mentality as well. In this arc, we get a dose of both and I can firmly say...

Spoiler for title:

Hmm... some problems I saw with this episode? Well, I think only one bothers me.

Spoiler for title:

--- Currently Reading TIPS.
I need to check somethings out.
* Feel free to talk to me on Aim or Msn. I need organize somethings on Higurashi so I can write a better story.

Last edited by Idle Eve; 2006-07-30 at 17:56.
Old 2006-07-30, 19:08   Link #22
Archuka
A territory most absolute

Watching the torture scene made me feel sick. I think I'd pass out before I could do anything if I was in the same situation as Shion.

The episode was excellent in my opinion, just like the rest of Maekashi-hen (except some weird things like the super strenght that has been present in every arc). If I ever watch this again I'm going to skip over the torture scene, though. I just can't handle it.
Old 2006-07-30, 19:13   Link #23
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Very good episode, my respect for Shion probably tripled after watching it.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Matrim; 2006-07-30 at 19:55.
Old 2006-07-30, 19:57   Link #24
BakaOnna

Another 10 from me. I'm loving this arc, but damn, that torture scene was brutal. >.< That was so hard to watch. I feel really bad for Shion now.

With that aside, am I the only one that noticed the really off-coloring of Rika's hair. It's supposed to be dark blue, kind of matching the the sub coloring, but it's a light blue. I thought that was really strange. Animation error, I guess. But man, what a great episode. Can't wait for 18.
Old 2006-07-30, 20:40   Link #25
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Yes, the torture was brutal beyond belief. Mion was either cold as ice or she was
more or less forced to toe the family line or she too would be punished. Brutal.

I can imagine the ending now of this arc given the beginning. Brrrr....

I'm beginning to think nobody gets a happy ending in this story but it's very
compelling stuff.

I need to go watch a love story or something, I was having Higarashi dreams
that were very bizzarre right around the last episode, after seeing the effects
of the "Sonozaki Family Nail Salon" I'm just a little more freaked out by them.

Mion, how could you do it? And now I understand Shion's motives for what
happened a lot more.
Old 2006-07-30, 20:45   Link #26
Shuin4
You faked all of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaOnna
With that aside, am I the only one that noticed the really off-coloring of Rika's hair. It's supposed to be dark blue, kind of matching the the sub coloring, but it's a light blue. I thought that was really strange. Animation error, I guess.
I noticed that too. at first i thought it was some kind of effect they tried pulling off with the sunset, but nobody else's hair was lighter either.

oh god, that torture scene. and oh god, teppei really knows how to pick 'em. their aunt looked and sounded like a man. and oryou really scared me when she shouted at shion.

also, can't wait to see who shion was choking (at least that's what it looked like) in the next episode.
Old 2006-07-30, 21:32   Link #27
Idle Eve
Tip of the Brink.

Frankly, I just want some more "Ni-Pah" and a bit of Shion Sonozaki revenge. Is that so much to ask? ;_;. Well, according to many of you, not really. I'd think that the attack of the Shion Ninjas would be in order after that trip to the Higurashi Nail Salon. I honestly don't have much sympathy for a family that does that to their children. Ugh. I must have flinched twice and clenched my right ear. Not the best reaction to an otherwise gruelly torture, but at least I didn't throw up.
Old 2006-07-30, 22:25   Link #28
BakaOnna

Speaking of Higurashi related dreams. I had one the night after I finish ep. 8 of Watanagashi-hen. I was chased by Mion or Shion with her hammer and nails. >.< I don't really remember what happened in the end because I woke up. When I did, I was like, "Whoa... this series is not good to watch right before you sleep."

Anyway, here's stuff I've gotten so far from this arc, and this is my prediction of Watanagashi-hen. Some of it might be really repetative since it's a summization of what I've gathered.

Mion or Shion:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Whew, that was long. Anyway, I'll try to figure out more during the telephone scenes and the last few parts after seeing the rest of this arc.

Now for the relationship between Satoshi and Keiichi:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Okay, I don't exactly know what I wrote that last thing for since it was just basically a summerization of the 3rd arc and how it was related to Satoshi. I guess it helps me process my thoughts. Anyway, I'll come out with more once this arc finishes. And I must say, this is one of the longest posts I've ever written in all the forums I've been to so far, and I've been on a lot of forums.
Old 2006-07-30, 22:39   Link #29
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
well i dont even know where to start i gave it a 10 and i continue to love this series. My opinion Shion has always been very good and it has only gotten better with this Arc. The Distinction scene really made my stomach turn. I dont even want to think about the pain one would feel from it. That scene remeinded me of some loyalty test i have read about from diffrent countries in the past. where one would inficict harm upon themselves to prove loyalty or to achieve adult hood.

Spoiler for Where to begin:
Old 2006-07-30, 23:23   Link #30
myopius

I love Higurashi.

This arc's narration by Shion made it really unique. It wasn't like the Keiichi arcs or the police guy arc... You had a knowledgeable villager describing various aspects of the plot's background. Excepting the one incident in the first episode of this arc, Shion has been very kind and empathic in her perspective, and I really enjoy her character.

(I don't have any deep theories related to this arc, but I'm just posting out of the desire to express my love for Higurashi.)
Old 2006-07-31, 00:16   Link #31
Idle Eve
Tip of the Brink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra
That scene remeinded me of some loyalty test i have read about from diffrent countries in the past. where one would inficict harm upon themselves to prove loyalty or to achieve adult hood.
To be honest, I felt the same way. I hope Shion doesn't feel too much pain afterwards, honestly... Having someone do that to you is one thing, but hurting yourself that much is another. Anyway, about that loyalty test, I recall that after the Sophomore boys pulled a prank on a teacher (they wroter over his car), the male teachers all got them together and had a long talk. Somewhere during the talk, we came across a story by our biology teacher (I respect this guy greatly) and he told us about his trip to Africa as a Peace Corps. Apparently he got the chance to see this tribes loyalty test where they had to...circumcize... a boys genitals. Painful? YES. The only painkiller was one could bucket of water... After that experience, the boys were then considered men. Going back to Shion, I believe that she proved herself. My respects, honestly.

Quote:
Spoiler for Where to begin:
Regarding Shion, we pretty much have the same opinion. The Arc did a good job with the "distinctions" placed upon Shion, so I won't go any further.

Hmm. About the book, I know nothign about it, but I certainly would love to read it too. Sadly, I'd bet it would be only in Japanese and given that, it would be a tough read for non-Japanese speakers.
Old 2006-07-31, 01:26   Link #32
LostBlue
祭囃子

Concerning Satoshi forgiving Mion...
1) Mion is close to pretty much all the classmates.

2) It's the recent pressure on Satoshi that's pushed him away from EVERYONE

3) Satoshi really is a kind person inside

4) This is just my opinion, but Shion really didn't do much to Satoko compared to what happens to her at home EVERYDAY.

5) After cooling down a bit, Satoshi realizes that regardless of all his doubts with the Sonozaki Family, Mion (and Shion) have always supported him

6) If Satoshi killed his Aunt planning it the way K1 did to Teppei in Tatarigoroshi, he wanted to secure Satoko's safety first. Mion is the leader of his the group of friends. Rika is too young. Rena is too new = doesn't know her (just moved back). Mion can take care of Satoko the best while he is away.

--

Quote:
oh now i have to go watch something happy i always feel depressed after i watch Higurashi.
This is soooo true. This is probably one of the main reasons why I think I love Haruhi as much as I did, b/c I watching it inbetween the chapters ^^;;; Yea, reading the Interview (Tatarigoroshi epilogue) at 2AM wasn't good for my heart.

Quote:
By the way the series is based of a real book right?
A Sound Novel (game). I personally don't like calling it a game since there really isn't gameplay. You just click and read. No choices. Just read like a novel with creepy sound effects, character portraits, and great BGM music (Dai-san <3). Himeya will have them. The novels IMO are a lot better. You do need a fairly good knowledge of Japanese to read them tho.
Old 2006-07-31, 02:39   Link #33
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBlue
4) This is just my opinion, but Shion really didn't do much to Satoko compared to what happens to her at home EVERYDAY.
lol, so what, like this?

Shion: "I'm sorry for the other day, Satoshi-kun"
Satoshi: "lol it's okay, Satoko gets bitchslapped by her aunt everyday anyway, a few slams against lockers is no big deal. Actually, you should do it more often, it might make her more sturdy, ha-ha-ha-ha-h*kabang*UGH-"
Shion: "Satoshi-kun!?"
*silence*
Shion: "Satoshi-kun!? Satoshi-kun!? Satoshi-kun Satoshi-kun Satoshi-kun Satoshi-kun Satoshi-kun Satoshi-kun Sato-"
Satoko: "...ni-ni- took some time out after bumping his head into my frying pan while I was heating it, he'll be fi- well no, he won't be fine, but please don't mind us, o-ho-ho-ho-ho! You're next bitch"*click*
*beep beep beep beep*

Ni-ni- does not allow any form of abuse towards Satoko, no matter how big or small it may be.

Satoshi simply forgave Shion because he trusts her as a friend (well, he thought she was Mion at the time, but no matter, Satoshi trusted her, that's why he was willing to leave Satoko in her care).
Old 2006-07-31, 03:07   Link #34
LostBlue
祭囃子

well, I just thought the anime over-did it a bit. I mean, Shion grabbibg the chair is going too far, but up until that pt I don't think Satoko herself really knew what was happening to her. Personally, I think Satoko didn't tell anything to Ni-Ni. Ni-Ni saw Satoko on the ground crying and deduce the rest for himself. With him being so distant to everyone, I just don't see him asking anyone what happened. Shion didn't bruise Satoko (unlike how Teppei would) so, that's what I mean it isn't as serious as what happens at home. After looking back at it, he may have thought it really isn't as bad as it looks.
Old 2006-07-31, 09:51   Link #35
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

The second Shion walked into that temple, i just knew something bad was going to happen.. poor poor Shion. The fact that she missed the second time was just even more murder to watch..

And yet again, even more mystery adds to that what already stands about Satoshi.
Old 2006-07-31, 10:18   Link #36
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Yeah, as soon as I saw that familiar door, my heart hit the ground. I was actually prepared for quite a lot worse than the fingernail deal (lunch, anyone?), although that was still painful to watch. Mion seemed to be in some sort of trance the whole time. I doubt she'd have been able to do that to her sister normally. I won't be too upset when Oryou gets something like that done to herself.

Poor Shion...
Old 2006-07-31, 10:54   Link #37
Darklightz
Wagering his life...

Now that was an intense episode.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-07-31, 13:04   Link #38
Cardiac Glycoside

Why is there any doubt that Satoshi killed his aunt?
Old 2006-07-31, 13:07   Link #39
BakaOnna

Maybe that's the answer to the mystery. The baseball bat is cursed by Oyashiro-sama and whoever picks it up dies in a certain amount of days. Let's say... 3.

But given this episode, we can now assume "that incident" that one of the twins mentioned back in ep. 6 of Watanagashi-hen, was this incident.
Old 2006-07-31, 13:26   Link #40
Gains
Rain lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaOnna
Maybe that's the answer to the mystery. The baseball bat is cursed by Oyashiro-sama and whoever picks it up dies in a certain amount of days. Let's say... 3.

But given this episode, we can now assume "that incident" that one of the twins mentioned back in ep. 6 of Watanagashi-hen, was this incident.
Regarding "that incident"... in Watanagashi, the one who is angry of it was Mion. Until this Meakashi episode however, things went against Shion all the time. Being unable to go to public without disguising as Mion, making Satoshi angry by throwing Satoko like a rag doll (although that scene is my guilty pleasure I hate crying kids), lowering herself by having to apologize to Oryou, and the Kejime. I think Shion is the one who should be angry.

Man...getting to see the Kejime torture repeatedly is a pain. She did all that and it did not guarantee the safety of the people related to her hiding and Satoshi. I agree with the others though, the second hit is the most painful for me.
Closed Thread