AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2021-06-09, 19:07   Link #1
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Battlefield 2042

Well, we've got our first trailer for the game.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
At least they started the trailer with a call back to the single best part of BF3 (base jumping during Rush on Damavand Peak).

But 3:00 is by far the best bit of the trailer. I actually had to pause it I was laughing so hard. Well done, EA. Well done. One of the greatest moments in BF history, first created by some random dude 19 years ago, finds its way into a BF trailer.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-09, 21:22   Link #2
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Despite the terrible release issues BF1 and BFV had, I am and will always be a diehard BF fan. Mega hyped.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-10, 10:28   Link #3
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Very interested in this, though I'm afraid my rig won't be able to keep up with the requirements. The logical answer would be to consider upgrading my CPU and GPU, but I just doled out some serious moolah for the replacement of my boiler-heater, so that option is probably going to be a hard pass for this year. X_X

As for the feel, I'd say that 2042's parentage draws more from BF4 than BF3 (though I do appreciate the Damavand callback)...what with the Levolution-type events...and they even included a reference to the anti-chopper kamikaze quad (which was used in one of the BF4 trailers) there, too.

YouTube

Last edited by Renegade334; 2021-06-10 at 17:36.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-10, 18:06   Link #4
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Very interested in this, though I'm afraid my rig won't be able to keep up with the requirements. The logical answer would be to consider upgrading my CPU and GPU, but I just doled out some serious moolah for the replacement of my boiler-heater, so that option is probably going to be a hard pass for this year. X_X

As for the feel, I'd say that 2042's parentage draws more from BF4 than BF3 (though I do appreciate the Damavand callback)...what with the Levolution-type events...and they even included a reference to the anti-chopper kamikaze quad (which was used in one of the BF4 trailers) there, too.
I'm hoping more 3080's will be in stock and at reasonable prices by end of this year. My regular 2080 feels like it's limits are being pushed especially with a game like Cyberpunk and I definitely want to play 2042 on max settings. I upgraded everything else on my PC in February except for the GPU.

Old 2021-06-10, 19:22   Link #5
JagdPanther

I'd definitely have to upgrade if I wanted to get this. I haven't upgraded anything in a LOOOOONGGG time. I think the last thing I got was my R9 280, and that wasn't exactly top of the line when I got it (2015).

I don't do heavy gaming with new games, so it still suffices for everything I need. But if I wanted to get my first BF game since BF4, yeah, I'd probably need to get a new... um... everything.

Old 2021-06-11, 01:22   Link #6
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

I still can't believe how eye-poppingly expensive GPUs have become. The MSi GTX970 4G I got myself in 2014-2015 cost around 450-500€, but the cheapest off-the-shelf RTX3070 now fetches for 1,499€ at my favorite computer hardware shop - THREE times more. For crying out loud, a single and decent ray-tracing card cost more today than my entire rig did upon purchase!

This is effin' ridiculous...and the ongoing card/chip shortage is NOT helping one bit.

And yeah, I'd also have to upgrade the CPU and RAM to avoid bottlenecking, and that also means a new motherboard...and PSU...and maybe a new case...and better airflow management. You know what? I'll have to change every-bloody-thing...except maybe the HDDs (though I'd probably get a M2 SSD to host my Windows install, rather than the SATA SSD I currently have).

Welp, I just made myself sad again...
*huddles in a corner and cries himself to sleep*

Last edited by Renegade334; 2021-06-11 at 08:24. Reason: Wrong year
Old 2021-06-11, 19:30   Link #7
JagdPanther

Quote:
I still can't believe how eye-poppingly expensive GPUs have become. The MSi GTX970 4G I got myself in 2014-2015 cost around 450-500€, but the cheapest off-the-shelf RTX3070 now fetches for 1,499€ at my favorite computer hardware shop - THREE times more. For crying out loud, a single and decent ray-tracing card cost more today than my entire rig did upon purchase!

This is effin' ridiculous...and the ongoing card/chip shortage is NOT helping one bit.

And yeah, I'd also have to upgrade the CPU and RAM to avoid bottlenecking, and that also means a new motherboard...and PSU...and maybe a new case...and better airflow management. You know what? I'll have to change every-bloody-thing...except maybe the HDDs (though I'd probably get a M2 SSD to host my Windows install, rather than the SATA SSD I currently have).

Welp, I just made myself sad again...
*huddles in a corner and cries himself to sleep*
Basically where I'm at, as well. It's been so long I'm not even sure how old my rig is. I got my Sapphire Dual-X R9 280 in 2015. I think my main SSD is circa 2014. My mobo, CPU, and PSU may be... 2009? 2010? I really don't remember. Hell, the newest thing on it are the two 80mm case fans I replaced a couple months ago because I could hear the bearings going in them.

I dread... dread dread dread... the eventuality of having to replace this rig.

Old 2021-06-13, 11:59   Link #8
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Gameplay reveal will take place here:

YouTube

EDIT:

YouTube

Last edited by Renegade334; 2021-06-13 at 12:25.
Old 2021-06-13, 13:53   Link #9
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

^
Just saw it, SO HYPEDDDDDDDDDDDD

Old 2021-07-22, 12:55   Link #10
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

New community-driven game mode/editor/framework - Battlefield Portal:

YouTube

Old maps (BFBC2, 1942, BF3, etc) will make a return: Arika Harbor, Valparaiso, El Alamein, Caspian Border...

You can pretty much edit the game (note: it's not a level editor) to create new game modes, such as combat knife vs defibrillator matches, TDM with randomized loadouts every time you die and respawn, single MBT vs swarm of EOD bots, WW2 company vs 2042 Non-Patriated squad, Conquest with WW2 and 2042 vehicles, etc.
...The only thing missing is a Squad vs T-Rex option. :-)

Last edited by Renegade334; 2021-07-22 at 13:47.
Old 2021-07-22, 14:44   Link #11
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

BF Portal and the trailer is just epic. Cannot wait for the community to create some crazy looking fights and battles on youtube. The defibs vs knives were hilarious. If I recall, I think some very old school BF youtubers (I forgot their names, it wasn't Levelcap, might have been Jackfrags or someone else) made a video of defib team vs defib team on BF 3 (or might have been 4) long ago. Brings back memories.

Old 2021-07-22, 14:59   Link #12
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

There were -and still are, I believe- a few of these servers left. The first ones I remember seeing, back when BF3 was in full swing, were solely created to farm assignments/challenges (which, in turn, unlocked special equipment, dog tags and guns), but most of these have since migrated to BF4 (knife/handgun/sniper-only) and the later games.

That said, Portal will probably be a huge success if only because it's a readymade meme factory.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2021-07-24 at 14:51.
Old 2021-08-11, 03:10   Link #13
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Battlefield 2042 Exodus short film (premieres in 30 hours from now)

YouTube

Exodus will act as a companion piece to the blog stories on this page (which gets updated every day until Exodus is released), where you can follow the journey of the No-Pats as the world devolves into chaos due to environmental issues and proxy wars between the US and Russia. Each blog entry explains the story behind each of the 2042 maps, such as how the No-Pats were stuck in Singapore, how they swiped the data of a South Korean superconglomerate for leverage, how they were caught in a crossfire when the US tried to invade Kourou after they lost Cap Canaveral to rising ocean levels, etc.

It's a rather nice addition, though it kind of gets lost by the wayside with the absence of a main campaign.

...Oh, and rumor has it that Hazard Zone will be free to play (F2P), but we still need outright confirmation on this.

EDIT: holy crap, 2042 is actually situated in the BF3 & BF4 timeline.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2021-08-12 at 10:14.
Old 2021-08-12, 19:26   Link #14
JagdPanther

I've got some problems with the Exodus short film. Like... a lot of problems.

But, it does look pretty damn cool.

Old 2021-09-28, 10:24   Link #15
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

YouTube

https://www.ea.com/games/battlefield/battlefield-2042/

TL;DR…
PC requirements
Old 2021-10-14, 10:04   Link #16
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

YouTube
Old 2021-10-16, 19:57   Link #17
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

^
Looks like a pretty fun game mode and interesting take on the genre. If there's no respawns like in a typical battle royale, I'll probably pass on this mode though. If it's a fast gameplay of being able to respawn and keep going for those drives or whatever, then I'll definitely look into this. I've put the BR genre on the backburner long ago.

Old 2021-10-17, 07:33   Link #18
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

They did say in interviews that they wanted to move away from the Battle Royale formula - which I heartily approve, as I feel too many people have jumped on the BR bandwagon the past couple of years, thus inviting fatigue and a loss of creativity - but I have yet to see the specifics behind that statement.

Odds are, HZ will be a derivative of the old Capture the Flag from BF3 and Obliteration from BF4.

I tried the open beta and, yup, I'm gonna need a hardware refresh to eliminate the stutter. Consarn it all.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2021-10-17 at 09:07.
Old 2021-10-17, 18:53   Link #19
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
They did say in interviews that they wanted to move away from the Battle Royale formula - which I heartily approve, as I feel too many people have jumped on the BR bandwagon the past couple of years, thus inviting fatigue and a loss of creativity - but I have yet to see the specifics behind that statement.

Odds are, HZ will be a derivative of the old Capture the Flag from BF3 and Obliteration from BF4.

I tried the open beta and, yup, I'm gonna need a hardware refresh to eliminate the stutter. Consarn it all.
That makes two of us! My eight-year-old rig, which took everything BFV had to throw at it okay, struggled with BF2042. That being said, I am more interested in BF: Portal more than anything: been itching to pit 20 Tiger Is against a single M1A2 since forever
Old 2021-10-18, 04:07   Link #20
Jaden

I played the beta with AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (below minimum requirements) + Radeon RX 580 (below recommended). Budget stuff from a few years back. Average FPS was 55, about as good as BFV.

A lot of people are having performance problems with high end stuff, but that's probably a matter of optimization and drivers. Am optimistic that it will improve, especially for the latest generations of NVIDIA GPUs.