AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2011-05-10, 15:06   Link #8101
AnimeFangirl

All right, someone remind me: what was the Golden Week arc all about? I don't remember a single thing about it. I don't even know when it occurred. Or maybe I do know and I just don't know it was called Golden Week? Anyway, please refresh my memory.

EDIT: Oh wait, that's the Greek arc, isn't it? I always think of it as the "Greek Arc", or as the "Athena Arc" in combination with The End of the World. D'oh!

Last edited by AnimeFangirl; 2011-05-10 at 15:19.
AnimeFangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 15:10   Link #8102
Kurush

Send a message via MSN to Kurush
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl View Post
All right, someone remind me: what was the Golden Week arc all about? I don't remember a single thing about it. I don't even know when it occurred. Or maybe I do know and I just don't know it was called Golden Week? Anyway, please refresh my memory.
The Golden Week arc was when they were spending time in Greece. Hayate and Nagi bonded, we saw Athena, Hina and Hayate had a date, Hayate went to apologize to Athena for what he said ten years ago. They split up again. That's about it in a nutshell.

"The objective is not to win. It is to eliminate every option for the enemy except the one to lose."

Knowledge is power. It should be shared.
Kurush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 15:21   Link #8103
Chandalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
The main gripe I have with the show at the moment is that it has too many characters. It went on for too long, and instead of retiring "spent" secondary characters, Hata insists on keeping everyone "alive". And in result, whenever he feels like adding another "okay, we need to revisit everyone" round, it means that for 2-3 months there is no significant progress. Like there is now (though I hope that we'll finally enter another "real" arc).

Example: I think that everyone will agree that the Greek arc was the highlight of the show so far. It was awesome in every way, exciting, touching, tragic... you name it. But it was that way because it concentrated on the main characters and had only touches of the most important secondaries. Nagi, Hina, Athena, Ayumu and Isumi, with some traces of Maria (was a bit neglected), Sakuya, the terrible trio... and that was pretty much it. The focus was on the _storytelling_, not "time to unearth another character".

Which is why I want Hata to end the story, and to start a new storyline from scratch. He's good enough to do that, but at the moment, I worry about the lack of direction with the myriad of characters. And YES, they ARE likable. That's exactly the problem, actually. He doesn't feel like culling some of them, but he HAS to...
Pretty much this exactly. I don't have a whole lot else to add to these sentiments. I'm always torn to read the most current chapter, but at the same time I get the feeling that this is a manga best read every 2-3 months.

I caught up to the series right at the end of the golden week arc, and it was a fun ride. My only personal gripe is the neglect of Maria as the story has progressed (that ship sailed away without even a whimper =/). I guess it was a choice to bring other characters to the front but it still disappoints me.
Chandalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 15:22   Link #8104
AnimeFangirl

Right, I just remembered, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
I agree that the Greece/Athena arc was the highlight of the series, but I think everyone has also been spoiled by it. Before it, Hayate never really had an overarching plot to it. It was always about the over-the-top, 4th wall breaking slice of life comedy. Now that there is a direction and a destination, people can't go back.
You can't really blame us for that. If you feed someone hamburgers for a while and they like it, and then you feed them Kobe steak for a couple of months, they're not going to want to go back to hamburgers again. "What? But you used to like hamburgers!" "Well my tastes have matured now, hand over dem steaks!"
Old 2011-05-10, 20:30   Link #8105
Used Can

I've just read the latest chapter, and I thought it was rather funny, especially the ending. In fact, I cannot recall the last time HnG made me laugh this much. I think this was a rather good chapter.
I really love how Ayumu's simplicity tends to solve things. I seriously love that girl.

Anyway, gentlemen:
Spoiler:
Old 2011-05-10, 21:52   Link #8106
madmac

I agree, it's a fun chapter.

Quote:
I really love how Ayumu's simplicity tends to solve things. I seriously love that girl.
Spoiler:

I'm not sure at this point if this is going to end up an improvement or a disaster...
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 04:19   Link #8107
AnimeFangirl

The slight progress Nagi is making with her manga is cancelled out by Hayate's persistent refusal to tell Luca the truth. This shtick was old 50 chapters ago.
Old 2011-05-11, 21:46   Link #8108
madmac

Quote:
The slight progress Nagi is making with her manga is cancelled out by Hayate's persistent refusal to tell Luca the truth. This shtick was old 50 chapters ago.
Eh, it's only been about 20ish chapters since the misunderstanding started, and maybe 7 of them where's it been relevant. I know you dislike the subplot on principle, but Hayate has only met Luca like twice (And same day both times.) since he first saved her. By this manga's standards it hasn't nearly been overplayed yet.

Last edited by madmac; 2011-05-11 at 23:08.
Old 2011-05-12, 00:55   Link #8109
Used Can

I also think Hayate's reason make sense. He has indeed seen her naked and made her believe he was a girl. There are far too many things that could go wrong if Luca learns about the truth, and Hayate is trying to keep the lie, because he's not expecting her to be around him for too long.
Old 2011-05-12, 01:08   Link #8110
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
That can't happen before they've taken a bath together, and maybe groped each other's chest.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 05:45   Link #8111
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
I also think Hayate's reason make sense. He has indeed seen her naked and made her believe he was a girl. There are far too many things that could go wrong if Luca learns about the truth, and Hayate is trying to keep the lie, because he's not expecting her to be around him for too long.
Why isn't he expecting her to be around for long? She's a good friend of Chiharu's, she knows where he lives and now she's all buddy-buddy with Nagi. I'd argue for telling her the truth even sooner, before one of them inadvertently spills the beans.
Old 2011-05-12, 07:46   Link #8112
madmac

Quote:
Why isn't he expecting her to be around for long? She's a good friend of Chiharu's, she knows where he lives and now she's all buddy-buddy with Nagi. I'd argue for telling her the truth even sooner, before one of them inadvertently spills the beans.
Sure, but these are all things he only knows now, after the most recent time he ran into her. Before she dropped in on Nagi he had no idea how deep a hole he was digging for himself.
Old 2011-05-12, 09:30   Link #8113
AnimeFangirl

Which is why instead of trying to borrow Hina's clothes, he should be heading into this meeting to tell the truth. This little shtick is not funny, it's not interesting and it's not leading anywhere (that I want to go) so it's pissing me off.
Old 2011-05-12, 09:42   Link #8114
madmac

Quote:
Which is why instead of trying to borrow Hina's clothes, he should be heading into this meeting to tell the truth.
I know where you're coming from, but still, you're oversimplifying things. The obvious implication from how this chapter ended is that there's something in the message he received that's making him not want to tell Luca yet. He just got done telling Hina he intended to tell her, after all. Probably because she's feeling vulnerable and reaching out to him to cheer her up.

Besides, even he was going to tell her, it would be kind of hugely dickish for Hayate to just turn up in his normal clothes and be all "I'm a man dammit! Leave me alone!"

At this point he's let things go so far over his head that he really doesn't have a nice or easy way to break it to her that isn't going to feel like betrayal, and it's in Hayate's personality that he'll go to ridiculous lengths to avoid hurting someone.

In any event, I don't expect this to continue much longer. She'll find out soon enough, at least by the time the doujinshi showdown happens, I'm guessing.
Old 2011-05-12, 10:57   Link #8115
Shadow5YA

What's more interesting is how Luca apparently does not sell as much doujinshi as Nagi and Chiharu hyped. She was supposed to be the example Nagi looks up to when making doujins, but it turns out that she's having as much trouble as Nagi.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 11:00   Link #8116
Tom Bombadil

Is the butler borrowing the panty and the bra, too?
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 11:17   Link #8117
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
Besides, even he was going to tell her, it would be kind of hugely dickish for Hayate to just turn up in his normal clothes and be all "I'm a man dammit! Leave me alone!"
I'll wait till the next chapter to comment on that, but the fact is that the longer he keeps up the charade, the worse the inevitable fallout is going to be. It's going to introduce unnecessary drama over an issue that shouldn't even be such a big deal.
Old 2011-05-12, 11:44   Link #8118
madmac

Quote:
What's more interesting is how Luca apparently does not sell as much doujinshi as Nagi and Chiharu hyped. She was supposed to be the example Nagi looks up to when making doujins, but it turns out that she's having as much trouble as Nagi.
I think it's more she's Nagi's idol in general, what with being a mega-popular idol who seems to be good at everything and has similar interests. In the realm of Manga, they're more or less equally bad. It's easy to let the fact that Nagi likes Luca's manga overshadow the fact that it didn't sell very well, got specifically ripped on by that Maizumi arse, and that it was hinted that Luca had the same traumatic experience with visiting Ashibashi sensei that Nagi did.

I think Nagi's dream this chapter highlighted something about her personality that isn't obvious if you don't read Yukariko's character profile in Volume 16. It more or less explains that Nagi's mom, while super-lucky and adored by everyone was basically useless at everything and couldn't do anything by herself.

Nagi sort of defines herself by trying too hard to not be her mom and failing anyways. Hayate calling her a "hopeless" person in her dream underscores her own insecurity that she isn't actually good at anything.

(It also says that Yukariko didn't die of illness and that he hopes to write more about Nagi's father some day. It's one of the more interesting of all the character profiles.)

Quote:
I'll wait till the next chapter to comment on that, but the fact is that the longer he keeps up the charade, the worse the inevitable fallout is going to be. It's going to introduce unnecessary drama over an issue that shouldn't even be such a big deal
Heh. I dunno, I get the feeling she'll get over it quickly enough...
Old 2011-05-12, 11:51   Link #8119
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Heh. I dunno, I get the feeling she'll get over it quickly enough...
In which case it will be as annoying as all those pages Hina wasted angsting over whether to tell Ayumu that she liked Hayate too, only to find out Ayumu didn't care. Either way the readers lose.
Old 2011-05-12, 13:18   Link #8120
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
In which case it will be as annoying as all those pages Hina wasted angsting over whether to tell Ayumu that she liked Hayate too, only to find out Ayumu didn't care. Either way the readers lose.
... I don't.

Quote:
I think Nagi's dream this chapter highlighted something about her personality that isn't obvious if you don't read Yukariko's character profile in Volume 16. It more or less explains that Nagi's mom, while super-lucky and adored by everyone was basically useless at everything and couldn't do anything by herself.
Wasn't she (Nagi) supposed to be a successful trader, or has that been retconned to make drama over her lost fortune?
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen