AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

Old 2012-10-08, 10:13   Link #321
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumii-chan View Post
Just a theory but if it were me standing there, I wouldn't dare to clap slowly. What if the emperor considered clapping slow = not clapping at all. What if it wasn't enough and he killed you anyway?
I wouldn't mind clapping till my hands bled, as long as I survived.
Ah but being injured means you're going to be one of the few to stop earlier. That's why you have to pace frequency and intensity of clapping.

Maybe this was one of the games to weed out the undesireables. Rational thinkers are going to do whatever it takes to minimize injury and maintain their endurance. The people who panic cannot perform under stress and are toast.
Old 2012-10-08, 12:16   Link #322
Byakou

About the clapping thing, it was odd that so many people were getting killed so quickly. I would expect people to clap for 1 hour+ before someone actually ran out of stamina and couldn't clap anymore. I don't think anyone would have been stupid enough to stop clapping either, even if you disagree you clap so you stay alive to fight another day. Which makes me think the emperor might have decided to randomly kill people regardless of their clapping.
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 12:42   Link #323
pinoscotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakou View Post
About the clapping thing, it was odd that so many people were getting killed so quickly. I would expect people to clap for 1 hour+ before someone actually ran out of stamina and couldn't clap anymore. I don't think anyone would have been stupid enough to stop clapping either, even if you disagree you clap so you stay alive to fight another day. Which makes me think the emperor might have decided to randomly kill people regardless of their clapping.
i don't even know if he was talking so loud that everybody could hear him
pinoscotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 14:06   Link #324
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

ok guys i would like some answers to some of my questions

the part where in the temple where the main heroine powers is supposed to be sealed or removed is it further because really i have been lost on about it

i mean when the say sealed aint it supposed to be un usable?

soo to my question and on wiki sealed powers yet they can still use it??
my head is going nuts right now
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 15:19   Link #325
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
I assumed some of these people were fanatics very happy to serve as sacrifices for their Emperor.
Old 2012-10-08, 15:33   Link #326
HandofFate

I agree, with the fanatic vibe from the crowd, I wouldn't be surprised if a good number would happily be part of the sacrifice.
Old 2012-10-08, 20:05   Link #327
Blonto

I'm having high hopes for this anime, just knowing it was adapted from an actual novel rather than light novels makes me really excited. I like the slightly creepy atmosphere it has. For me it's a welcome change from some over-the-top violent anime I've watched recently. It's a good sign when a story does things subtly, it's shows maturity.

The story itself doesn't seem like the most innovative idea, but I don't think that matters. If I can get some creativity and complexity from it, I'll be the happiest I can be.
I've heard some complaints about the character designs, but to me they're decent. The haircu-I mean the characters are pretty distinguishable. There's the straight-haired reasonable guy, there's the spiky-haired hyperactive one and the curly-haired quiet one. They should all be pretty familiar to anyone who's watched anime.

I'm really liking the ED.
Blonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 23:09   Link #328
orion

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoscotto View Post
i don't even know if he was talking so loud that everybody could hear him
Plus, with all the clapping, the ones in an acoustically bad spot would not hear him.
Old 2012-10-09, 00:07   Link #329
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Watched the first two episodes blind this evening, as in I knew nothing about this series beforehand. I'm liking what I see so far.

The OP is so completely different from other anime, it really stands out. However that's not all. The world is familiar and yet unfamiliar at the same time, with a subtle dose of creepy thrown in. Even the clothes, the school uniforms, mom's kimono, we can easily identify and relate them them to our world, and yet the differences are enough to make them stand out and seem otherworldly.

What the hell happened in the last 1,000 years? People getting squished to oblivion, Holy Barriers, kids running home when the music chimes at dusk, and parents freaking out if they think their child isn't developing their skills fast enough.

It's a mixture of idyllic life mixed with quiet, brooding fear. I'm loving it so far!

Endless "Emperor of Delight" Soul
Old 2012-10-09, 00:20   Link #330
Theo

Are you guys kidding me?

He clearly doesn't give a shit how hard one claps or claps at all; it's just a show of terror for his own amusement. It's not rocket science.

How did this argument go beyond two posts?
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 00:34   Link #331
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Are you guys kidding me?

He clearly doesn't give a shit how hard one claps or claps at all; it's just a show of terror for his own amusement. It's not rocket science.

How did this argument go beyond two posts?
We're not arguing.
Old 2012-10-09, 02:51   Link #332
hussien-11

this is my favorite fall 2012 anime for now, I loved every second of the 2 episodes
very atmospheric show, great story with actually great adaptation, very rich scenery with a fitting and haunting music.

this show is fantastic, I can't wait to find out more about it's mysteries and dark secrets !
also, character design looks great to me, especially Saki, it's not always necessary to provide complex and very detailed design, sometimes simple design works better.
hussien-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 04:07   Link #333
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

I find it really disturbing that nobody pays any note to how their classmates suddenly vanish.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 04:47   Link #334
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
I find it really disturbing that nobody pays any note to how their classmates suddenly vanish.
That and their teacher keeps up that happy go lucky smile, no matter what. Something is very wrong, it won't be long before Saki calls someone out on it.

While I love the fact that the story seems to be narrated from the future, and the flashbacks, I hope they can tie it together coherently, cuz idk wtf is going on sometimes.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 04:57   Link #335
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

"Oh, look - my classmates are being obviously annihilated one after another, and any one of us could be the next one to go. I wonder what's for dinner."
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 06:47   Link #336
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
"Oh, look - my classmates are being obviously annihilated one after another, and any one of us could be the next one to go. I wonder what's for dinner."
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if even Saki is being subjected to brainwashing... ie. the "cleansing" those priests did was actually brainwashing...
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 06:56   Link #337
Blonto

I think it's easy for kids to not think so much of the disappearances when the adults all show a happy face. They're taught obedience to authority, probably that they shouldn't ask about such things, and it's easy to get the feeling you'll just be causing a scene by panicking when everyone else acts as if everything is fine. When you look at the scene when the kids were talking about scary rumors, they were all dismissive of the rumors, including Saki, at least on the outside. There are many rumors and horror stories, but just because there are two coincidences doesn't mean they're true. When two of my classmates died within the time span of a year I didn't just assume my class was getting annihilated one after another.
Yeah, a classmate disappeared and some other guy from school did too, but I don't think that'd be enough to cause a panic. People can "disappear" for a variety of reasons and we don't even know if the kids know they disappeared for real, or if they simply stopped coming to class. With how the world is set up (a teacher wasn't even willing to acknowledge the possibility of someone cheating) I wouldn't be surprised if the kids never got an explanation for why their classmates stopped coming to class. After a while they simply let it go. People forget easily about those they aren't particularly close to.
Blonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 07:29   Link #338
Insane
Banned

Looking at the previews, it seems in the next episode a major event / the major plot will kick in. In the trailers it shows them older, maybe the 2nd cour is a time skip?

Aww man, i wish the suspense of this show can be toned down even if it's just a little. Its suspense tend to caught me off guard, especially those creepy flashback and creepy history lesson
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 08:45   Link #339
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
They notice. It's why there's that awkward pause and subject change when Saki starts talking about the kids in her former school, there's the discussion about the teachers administrative room, and a few other things I had mentioned in a previous post. The scene with Saki eavesdropping on her parents tells you a lot too.

Order and collectivism are rigidly enforced in that community, which is why rebelling is a very bad idea. It's not much different than modern Japan (and many other societies), in that people don't feel it is appropriate to talk about these problems with each other ("the nail that sticks up must be hammered down" and all that), and so problems are swept under the rug even though everyone suffers for it. It's possible that if the parents all spoke up about it, things could change for the better, but there is such a fear of being the ones who stick out, and a fear that no one else will stand up with them, that everyone ends up going along with the warped rules and nothing changes. I'd imagine that many of the parents feel exactly like Saki's do.

And of course, it doesn't help that in this world someone could kill you just by thinking it. That's pretty effective in clamping down on any residual rebellion.

Speaking of Psychokinesis, it's interesting that science has reverted to a rudimentary state. I find the massive regression in human civilization one of the more curious elements of the story. Imagine, somewhere in orbit, is a space station with grinning skeletons, and no one even knows they are there.
Old 2012-10-09, 09:02   Link #340
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomo12 View Post
ok guys i would like some answers to some of my questions

the part where in the temple where the main heroine powers is supposed to be sealed or removed is it further because really i have been lost on about it

i mean when the say sealed aint it supposed to be un usable?

soo to my question and on wiki sealed powers yet they can still use it??
my head is going nuts right now
They did not seal all her powers but just handicapped her so she's not as powerful as when she first got them. This is done to all the kids in the village and from what I understand they stay that way until adulthood when they've learn to fully control the power.

Quote:
it's obviously some weird brainwashing and manipulation going on around here. I'll even go as fare as saying hypnosis we're already dealing with Psychokinesis here so it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. After all wasn't that emperor able to set people on fire just by thinking about it? Pyrokinesis if I remember right.

So a couple of things that stood out to me this episode.

They mentioned a Goat Moth colony so to would seem that are indeed more villages out there then just this one we're see right here.

Also am I just reading too much into it or doesn't seem like Satoru is a little envious of Saki's little crush on Shun? That way he committed on how Saki always listens to Shun sounds like a bit of jealousy on Satoru's part.

Last edited by Dark Wing; 2012-10-09 at 09:53.
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, fantasy, science fiction, supernatural