AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-09, 20:21   Link #261
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
I didn't know it was like that! O_o; That's so immature, I should've known fans would be doing that. You sure have a lot of patience to tread through 2ch.
If you think that's bad try reading NicoNico Video comments, which is Japans answer too Youtube, only even more lacking in useful commentary. Here's a sample from some Super Robot Wars OG Videos:

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww~
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
Love the interesting discussion going on here! ゴタ ラブ サ スパム (That's me actually)

and for a Higurashi vid I saw:

bitchbitchbitchbitch! (for about 20 or so lines of comments)

2ch is similar and only on a larger scale and there actually is potential for useful discussion. I've glanced through some Lucky Star threads and it dealt mostly with air times, some meme they had going and Ascii art of Konata and I believe Akira and a bit of discussion inbetween. The problem is that the spam and it's frequency are unmoderated so it buries most of the useful discussion that actually is going on within 1000's of posts. The reply to a post could actually be many many posts down the line due to the rapid turnover of pages and threads as a result of nonsense.

Oh and there was some discussion about the CD single on sale, but as AVPlaya said it wasn't all that useful in terms of any new or interesting information. If you want music information you should try Amazon.jp or Oricon. Personally I prefer Amazon.jp for it's customer feedback on the CD's and while Oricon does feature five or so user reviews for each item, they seem to be taken completely at random from Amazon then Oricon gives an average on the random picks only, causing a skewed image of their popularity. For example Motteke Sailor Fuku's chosen reviews for Oricon from Amazon were all 5's and one 4.5 I believe, but on Amazon it varied a bit more, even going as low as 1/5 stars.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-07-09 at 20:51.
Old 2007-07-09, 22:22   Link #262
Konata-chan
Wannabe Konata Izumi

Send a message via AIM to Konata-chan Send a message via MSN to Konata-chan
It's really funny on how the Japanese prefer to stick to such things such as 2ch instead of just having everyone work with boards where you have to register and everything is moderated. Is it really as a consequence of how Japanese culture is, where people are usually much more reserved real life? I dunno if it's just me, but having a civil if not intelligent discussion about the current anime episode/series is the whole point of me posting in a forum.
Old 2007-07-09, 23:17   Link #263
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konata-chan View Post
It's really funny on how the Japanese prefer to stick to such things such as 2ch instead of just having everyone work with boards where you have to register and everything is moderated. Is it really as a consequence of how Japanese culture is, where people are usually much more reserved real life? I dunno if it's just me, but having a civil if not intelligent discussion about the current anime episode/series is the whole point of me posting in a forum.
The sad truth is, the Japanese tend to be overtly polite in real life, so they rarely criticize in person. 2ch's anonymity gave them the freedom to be as critical as they really feel without the repression they would normally face. However, this sense of freedom sometimes gets exaggerated and the level discussion sinks into flame wars and pissing matches. This is especially true for otakus, who barely even speak to strangers in real life in polite terms, much less speaking their mind. It's one of the side effect of Japan's artificially polite society. People raised in the West or even other Asian countries do not face the same kind of pressure, and thus act differently online. Most of the time.

There are intelligent discussion to be found in Japanese sites; they are just rare in 2ch otaku threads. Many sports forums I joined are full of extremely knowledgeable and nice people. Even social networking sites like Mixi tend to have more intelligent posts than rants (I'd say much better than myspace). One of my favorite forum in 2ch is the food section... it's filled with great information like raman shop reviews and what to order when visiting a real yakiniku place. It's not all bad.

Off topic.. back to La Musique de Lucky Star... How many has listened to the Karaoke Box CD? Anymore reviews/thoughts? I got pretty emotional listening to the whole thing... but I'm a almost an hen-na-ojisan (strange old men ) so that's to be expected..
Old 2007-07-10, 06:07   Link #264
Teiran
NPC
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
How many has listened to the Karaoke Box CD? Anymore reviews/thoughts? I got pretty emotional listening to the whole thing... but I'm a almost an hen-na-ojisan (strange old men ) so that's to be expected..
I'm not that old by most standards, so the classic stuff didn't evince any particular nostalgia for me, but I loved the CD nonetheless. I'll bet the VAs, especially Hirano-san, had an absolute blast recording this; it just sounds like something with which they could have run wild.

If you thought Kona-chan did a number on the tokusatsu themes and Cha-la Head-cha-la during the ED originals, you'll want to prepare yourself for the parts that didn't make airtime, as well as the journey into total incoherence known as Monkey Magic. I'll freely admit it: I was grinning like an idiot all through that, err, song. (Mou yamete ii desu ka?) As for the two songs featuring Konata's imitative "adult" voice--well, let's just say that that voice can't be kept up indefinitely.

That said, my favorite full-length track is probably Miyuki's version of Chijou no Hoshi. Miyuki generally doesn't get a whole lot of love in the show, so hearing her take center stage for a song--even Konata's interjections in the TV-size version are edited out--was priceless. Before the final verse, she has a short monologue in which her voice ends up simply shining with determination. In as many words: so moe.

Anyone who knows what to expect from this compilation will probably enjoy it. It's not musical genius or anything; half the time, thanks to Konata, it's not even in tune. Still, if you're listening to a Lucky Star-themed album in the first place, you probably know what you're in for, and IMO that's precisely where the CD's charm lies. It isn't about perfect-pitch renditions, even if Kagami's take on Sailor Fuku to Kikanjuu happens to be more than passable. To me, at least, it's about the girls being true to their personalities and their social dynamic wherever they go. (Tsukasa's despair during the last half of Valentine Kiss makes you feel for her; with Konata in the same karaoke box, though, you get the sense that it couldn't happen any other way!)

This isn't the kind of album that I'd loop all day every day, but listening to it, I can't help thinking how much fun it is to be a fan of L*S.
Old 2007-07-10, 11:53   Link #265
krln99

For me, the best part of the album is Hirano Aya's "Sore ga Ai Deshou" full vers where she gets tired at the end and starts alternating between the "Konata voice" and her singing voice. You'd swear it's a totally different person.
Old 2007-07-10, 15:29   Link #266
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Around 2:38 in the full version of Valentine Kiss, Tsukasa begins to say something to Kona, but Kona's jumping around screaming like a maniac so I can't quite catch what she says until the very end. Could anyone tell me what she's saying please?
Old 2007-07-10, 17:40   Link #267
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
...I admire your patience in reading through the anime 2ch threads. It's next to impossible to find real information there but you really get a ton of rumors and otaku attitude. Frankly I enjoy non-otaku 2ch forums like sports or food much more.
I don't want to give the impression that I read every word. My Japanese isn't good enough, for one thing. I generally just skim through and read bits and pieces that look as if they might be interesting. And I check out a lot of the links: to images and news websites and seiyuu blogs, etc. Those tend to be the most informative things. There is also often interesting info in some of the anime music threads, parsing and collating chart rankings, for example. Those posts are tabular and easy to pick out, lol.

And Risaa, I can't really hear it either, but there's "sorosoro" in there, and maybe "watashi mo utau kara, watashi ga utau kara." Is she telling Kona-chan to shut up? Aaya's heavy breathing is just brilliant -- although I would like to hear Kaorin, really.

Oh, man, I just listened again to the latter part of Sore ga Ai Deshou that krln99 mentioned, where it's almost like Aaya and Konata singing a duet. Incredible. No wonder "Kona-chan" is so pleased with herself.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-07-10 at 18:05.
Old 2007-07-10, 17:59   Link #268
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
Around 2:38 in the full version of Valentine Kiss, Tsukasa begins to say something to Kona, but Kona's jumping around screaming like a maniac so I can't quite catch what she says until the very end. Could anyone tell me what she's saying please?
I think she's saying "Kona-chan, konno serifu watashi no uta kara, watashi ga utau kara" which I think means "Kona-chan, since this is my song I'm going to sing this part". I can barely make out the serifu part out, and so it's a guess, since serifu usually refer to lines in a play, but I think it can refer to song lyrics, not sure. Anyone else know what word is? I can't think of any other word that fits. Solo (ソロ)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krln99 View Post
For me, the best part of the album is Hirano Aya's "Sore ga Ai Deshou" full vers where she gets tired at the end and starts alternating between the "Konata voice" and her singing voice. You'd swear it's a totally different person.
That's Kona's "otaku" (serious) voice aVand her normal voice... you can hear her being so proud of her self for pulling this song off like a real person... but she (Kona) can't keep it up for long. Aya is in character the entire song... pretty amazing. She does this in 木枯らしに抱かれて as well... first with her otaku sound and then Kona LOST her otaku voice for a while before she found it again... LOL! AMON!

Thoughts on other songs as I've been listening to them all day:

CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA - I used to HATE this song, and this is the only rendition of the song I've enjoyed. Kona can make you listen to any song. Her CHA-LA! is just so damn funny and adorable.

Sailor Fuku and Machine Gun - I can't believe how popular this movie was. 2 remakes and every 10 years some one re-make this song. Again I love it because it's Kagami-sama, and Kagami is just so similar to the original singer, the super 80's idol Yakushimaru Hiroko. (薬師丸ひろ子). I see kagami and I see Hiro-chan in her. It's the PERFECT song for Kagamin, but I think the song is refering to the Miyuki's Yakuza family.... Trivial - Yakushimaru refer to a kind of medicine made by buddhist monks, with blessing and mantra power of the Baisajia Guru Vaijurya Brabha Rajaya Buddha (Medicine Buddha), one of the most popular Buddhas in East Asia. I know because the Medicine Buddha is central to my personal altar.

Kogarashi Ni Idakarete - By the late 80's one idol reign supreme - Koizumi Kyoko, or KyonKyon as everyone called her. Everyone of her songs became hits, and every movie/dorama she was in was popular. This is one of her biggest hits, and something Aya-chan sang also before she was a seiyuu. I wasn't that big of a fan, just feels good hearing it.

I'm proud - I really love this song, because it's Kagami-sama singing, and also the key-changing trick. It happens all the frigging time, when someone's singing and the original key is just too damn high, and the singer change the key mid-song. Or they would be screaming and scare everyone. Kagamin's cares too much about her face in front of Kona so instead of breaking her voice she lowered the key with her mic. And you can tell HOW HARD she's trying to get Kahala's feel on this song! But she really can't because Tomo-chan's voice is inhuman, IMHO. As I've stated before, I have a long history with this song. I used to jog to this song in the gym every day in back in the 90's; but I think it's Tomo-chan's face (and other parts) I was more a fan of back then.

Valentine Kiss - as I've said, I just heard this song recently on TV, so it's pretty fresh to me. Kona acting like an idiot it's partly because she's Kona, and also because Kokusyo Sayuri is part of Onyanko Club, and all club members dance and sing backup in the background. Kona's being an Otaku and trying to re-create the original Onyanko Club feeling.

Chijou no Hoshi - The original singer, Nakashima Miyuki, is a legend in Japanese music. She has 33 albums and the only singer in Japanese music history to have a #1 single in the 70's, 80's, 90's and 2000's. She's worshiped as the eternal pop idol in Japan. You can tell Miyuki-chan is singing this song with a great deal of respect.

Monkey Magic - Kona's engrish show. She's just adorable when she's singing English... And she get so tired of it... she's screeming "That's it! I can't understand it! I didn't study English!" O-LAIT (alright) ! And did you guys get it? She pronounced the last few "Monkey Magic" SPOT ON. Perfect English prnounciation! Gomenasai Kagamin~~ Kagamin~~~

Doraemon no Uta - Just brings tears to my eyes... They sings just like kiddies... HAI... TAKE-COPUTAA~~~

In Go Godman! Kona did her otaku voice again... and she pronounced "godman" in non-engrish way... pretty impressed. But what a dumb song, like the other sentai show OPs... but Kona brings her otaku charm and they're tolerable.

Makenaide... I'm glad I heard them sing the whole song... ZARD's death was too recent to be a memory, but somehow I feel so much better knowing Kona and the girls paid tribute to Izumi-chan as well.

I must say I really, really really love this CD. It's one of the thing, for me, bring real emotion to a hobby called anime. The EDs are why I started watching L*S and really what I love the most. When you hear the girls it's as if you're there.. when you hear Kona scream her lungs out you can just picture her in your head. It brings them into your life as real persons. They're just like a few normal girls screwing around in a karaoke box; we're just lucky enough to join the party.

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-07-10 at 19:33.
Old 2007-07-10, 20:35   Link #269
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

AVPlaya, I can't give you any more rep, apparently, but thanks for that memorable post about the songs.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-07-10, 22:40   Link #270
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
AVPlaya, I can't give you any more rep, apparently, but thanks for that memorable post about the songs.
Wow, thanks for reading! That made my day. I didn't think anyone would read my rants.

More I listen the more I love these charas... Kona showing off her voice changing skills... Kona begging Kagami to cut the song in Monkey Magic... I'm so happy we have 12 more episodes to go.

EDIT: Just added the "MV" for the extended karaoke performances for I'm proud and Kogarashi Ni Idakarete in the Music Video thread... go check it out. It's so awesome I'm drooling.

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-07-11 at 13:47.
Old 2007-07-11, 04:37   Link #271
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
i cant believe this...the way aya butchers the song CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA is strangly captivating XD
havent gotten to listening to all the songs yet but got monkey magic is annoying though :X

Sailor Fuku to Kikanjuu ~ perfect love song

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-07-11, 14:13   Link #272
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Here we go again. Cash registers are ringing all over Akihabara as the Lucky Star Karaoke Box ED collection went on sale Tuesday and has debuted in the Oricon album charts at #4, second-highest of this week's new album releases, after Arashi's new CD. Will the madness never end?

Here is the Oricon chart. And here is a piece in Akiba Blog showing Konata's face plastered over everything, and great stacks of the CD ready for sale.

The magazines are getting the idea, too, with features on Hirano Aya and/or the entire Lucky Star main cast popping up in all the seiyuu magazines. The idea? That Hirano Aya = big sales. I swear I had no thought that this was going to happen when I started to take an interest in her and her work around nine months ago.

Aaya announced recently that her next single will be coming out in October. She has not had a hit single of her own, as distinct from an anime tie-in, and this will be a pivotal release in her singing career. If it sells well, she will have a singing career. If it doesn't, she will continue to just be an idol seiyuu.
Old 2007-07-11, 14:41   Link #273
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Kona's Muu~~ face is indeed hard to miss.

Damn Arashi pushed down my Amuro-chan to 3rd place! Damn you feminine boy groups! But if by the Grace of Lord Haruhi L*S ED collection reached #1 and pushing PLAY down further, I suppose I'll be able to live with it.

NOW if the release an anime MV of Valentine Kiss with Kona-chan singing, screaming, rapping, dancing, tranbolin-ing, and being out of breath in the background, man, the floodgate...
Old 2007-07-11, 20:30   Link #274
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Here we go again. Cash registers are ringing all over Akihabara as the Lucky Star Karaoke Box ED collection went on sale Tuesday and has debuted in the Oricon album charts at #4, second-highest of this week's new album releases, after Arashi's new CD. Will the madness never end?
In a word no, as long as Aya Hirano is involved, never. After Haruhi the doors are open for her and a wave of Otaku support will carry her to the top.

Aya Hirano is probably the number one commodity that everybody wants to get their hands on at this point. She will sell your stuff just by appearing on the same page of it in a magazine. What amazes me is that it took this long for the magazines to catch on.

They can probably lower their expenses by ditching the rest of the Lucky Star crew and featuring just her for their purposes, I'm reasonably sure that she (as the voice of Haruhi) is the draw.

As for that next single. Chart Topper. Why? Because it's Aya Hirano, the music is the secondary factor although she'd best stick to her strengths to avoid taking any risks with what the Otaku's desire of her. Of course it will sell well. What is she even worried about? She should just go for it, she has all the support anyone can dream of to start an idol-pop career. If she waits till the next big idol comes along it might be to late.

As for the CD, the only song I would really want to listen too on it would be Cha-La-Head-Cha-La, but certainly not Konata's version.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-07-11 at 20:50.
Old 2007-07-11, 20:54   Link #275
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

The 'full' version of Monkey Magic is awesome. I couldn't stop giggling the first few times I listened to it. But, that song holds a special place in my heart. So a version from one of the greatest comedy characters of all time is going to go down well with me regardless, I think. <3
Old 2007-07-11, 20:59   Link #276
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asai View Post
The 'full' version of Monkey Magic is awesome. I couldn't stop giggling the first few times I listened to it. But, that song holds a special place in my heart. So a version from one of the greatest comedy characters of all time is going to go down well with me regardless, I think. <3
Does she go beyond the first line for the full version or just mess with it a little?

One of the greatest comedy characters of all time......hmmmmmm.... I personally don't know. If so the hall of fame must be pretty packed. Anyway it'll probably be more popular than the original ever was given the voice behind the voice behind this version of the song.
Old 2007-07-11, 21:25   Link #277
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Does she go beyond the first line for the full version or just mess with it a little?

One of the greatest comedy characters of all time......hmmmmmm.... I personally don't know. If so the hall of fame must be pretty packed. Anyway it'll probably be more popular than the original ever was given the voice behind the voice behind this version of the song.
Yes, she... well, sort of, does the whole song. In very, very bad Engrish with lots of stuttering and skipping bits. It's incredibly cute. As for being more popular than Godiego's version, I seriously doubt it. The original show was a huge international success, Lucky Star isn't known outside of Japan (yet.) other than the fansub scene. Besides, most fans would probably be too young to appreciate this particular song. They'll focus on the others on the album, while I really don't care about the rest.

It's special to me because it's the first song I ever managed to teach myself in full on piano. I also adored the show when I was younger. <3
Old 2007-07-11, 21:29   Link #278
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asai View Post
Yes, she... well, sort of, does the whole song. In very, very bad Engrish with lots of stuttering and skipping bits. It's incredibly cute. As for being more popular than Godiego's version, I seriously doubt it. The original show was a huge international success, Lucky Star isn't known outside of Japan (yet.) other than the fansub scene. Besides, most fans would probably be too young to appreciate this particular song. They'll focus on the others on the album, while I really don't care about the rest.

It's special to me because it's the first song I ever managed to teach myself in full on piano. I also adored the show when I was younger. <3
Oh right that was Godiego, the Galaxy Express 999 theme singer. I love that song too. If only we hadn't moved into the Minoru Haruhi theme endings that would have been the perfect Karaoke song to do. It lends itself so well to Karaoke.
Old 2007-07-11, 23:15   Link #279
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Hmmm... basically she can can only recognize "Monkey Magic". All other English lyrics are beyond her, save maybe "ALRIGHT!". From her struggles I believe the Karaoke video she's looking at has actual English text instead of katakana, that's why she's trying to form words but nothing came out right. The key to listening the song, is that

1. She really wanted to stop song as soon as the English words started.

2. Kona kept begging Kagami to cut the song, but Kagamin won't.

From Kona's pleadings you realize that Kagami intentionally kept the song going to punish Kona. Why? Because Kona has committed the top two Karaoke Sin: Mass Song Ordering and Solo Invasion. I shall explain.

There are two great acts of sin in a Karaoke: 1. You order a bunch of songs (otaku song no less!) while others are chatting, and 2. You constantly cut into other people's songs and interrupt their favorite solo parts. You can sing other peope's songs, but the key section must be left to the Song Orderer. Kona has ZERO Karaoke Ethics!

Kagami-sama, being a Wise and Just Lord, decided to dish out the ultimate punishment - force Kona to finish a song she can't sing. At the end of the song, Kona finally learned her lesson, and apologized to her dear Kagamin and we can all just imagine they hug and make up (not really). Right before the song ends, a miracle happens - Kona actually pronounced "Monkey Magic" correctly.

Thus ends the Epic Story of Konata's Monkey Magic, an anime episode all to itself.

Forget the full OP dance. KyoAni has got to animate the actions during "Valentine Kiss" and "Monkey Magic". I will buy all your special DVDs and figurines if you do. PLEASE!!! HAVE MERCY!

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-07-11 at 23:43.
Old 2007-07-12, 00:23   Link #280
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Another thing about Monkey Magic I really liked was that for at least a little bit, Kona was trying to translate the English into Japanese, kind of (tonaitto... tonaitto ga monkei no majikku da yo). I had assumed since I heard it as the short ED version that the English words were put on the screen instead of katakana, as AVPlaya said, because Kona was obviously having a lot of trouble.

Aah, so funny. x3
Closed Thread