AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Tales of... > Tales of the Abyss (Archive)

Notices

Old 2008-10-05, 21:39   Link #361
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
lol @ 400p Weib release.

i smell failure.
Old 2008-10-05, 21:41   Link #362
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
I'm seriously getting a redux of Kekkaishi vibes from the jist of the whole events that transpire following Tales of Abyss. Sudden one-hour special, late raws/unavailability of good raws, lack of consistent, trust-worthy fansubbing groups with a solid fanbase... ( -_-)
Hopefully, it will follow Kekkaishi in terms of quality in all areas. Kekkasihi was also worked on by a reliable group, albeit it took some time. Well, due to circumstances it can't be helped when that happens... But yeah, there seems to be a price for such things.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 21:43   Link #363
RamzaOwns
GUN道奥義 「賢者の舞」

Spoiler for introduction of ep 1 game related...probably:
RamzaOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 21:50   Link #364
Starks
*Scanlator

sunrise prefers atheism.
Old 2008-10-05, 21:51   Link #365
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
That Indignation didn't really have much impact. There should have been a BIG explosion as Indignation should have enough force to at least destroy the ground it strikes on. It just felt like in the game, where you cast a novice spell.
Well, he can't exactly use a full-powered Indignation without risking the other combatants, though I'd agree that the visual effect could've been nicer had it used a far-panning shot like the fire spell in the OP, where the fire blazed high.

Speaking of the OP, I noticed that the cost-cutting measure (( showing the episode scenes in the long OP )) seems like it's done in a way to show how the 'events' of the episode...

Spoiler for not really spoiler, but they haven't went deeply into the whole thing yet...:

It's a nice touch, really.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 21:56   Link #366
Starks
*Scanlator

Anyone else waiting for Abyssal Chronicles. Who better to sub Abyss than hardcore Tales fans?
Old 2008-10-05, 22:10   Link #367
kujoe
from head to heel

I noticed that their translator is asking for opinions regarding the translations of certain terms.

I hope s/he sticks to the English names for ranks and titles, while sticking to the Japanese versions for the terms "fonim" (instead of "fonon") and "pig monkey" (instead of "Thing").
Old 2008-10-05, 22:45   Link #368
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
I say tell the translator to be consistent with the original English game's names, places, and terminology as I bet a lot of us are familiar with.
Old 2008-10-05, 23:03   Link #369
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks View Post
1 DSL seed on the torrent = Hours of waiting for EVERYONE
Yes, this thing is going a little too slow for now. I am going to wait until tomorrow and hope someone can provide a bit of feedback on the release of this group. >_<!
Old 2008-10-05, 23:36   Link #370
Starks
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Yes, this thing is going a little too slow for now. I am going to wait until tomorrow and hope someone can provide a bit of feedback on the release of this group. >_<!
No subbed karaoke. Hard to read font. Less than stellar editing.

Pass.

Also, no group that makes you wait on a download is worth watching.
Old 2008-10-06, 00:08   Link #371
Scyth

... In the end, the Weib version wouldn't even play for me. Some error about a video track not being present...
Scyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 00:24   Link #372
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
I'm wondering which studio is producing this anime?

and any promising subs so far? I just watched the raw and found it pretty enjoyable.
rainnydaiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 00:36   Link #373
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainnydaiis View Post
I'm wondering which studio is producing this anime?

and any promising subs so far? I just watched the raw and found it pretty enjoyable.
Sunrise.

As for subs, apparently none of them are genuinely 'good' at the moment.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2008-10-06, 00:42   Link #374
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Hm, by any chance that was Diethard's VA for Van and Yukana for Tear?
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 00:46   Link #375
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Yes, Van is voiced by Diethard's VA, George Nakata and Yukana as Tear.

Abyss has quite the star-studded cast of Nakata, Koyasu, Yukana, etc. The only different VA is Ion's, whom original VA seemed to have semi-retired after her first child.

Edit: Also, for the heck of it...

*flees*

Last edited by Nightengale; 2008-10-06 at 01:00.
Old 2008-10-06, 01:09   Link #376
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Ugh, late is late... And I never thought that there is going to be 1 hour special in MBS

Anyway, TOA looks decent enough for the 1st and 2nd Episode : Tear is a kickass (And I hope she stay this way, not like how I control her in the game... ), Guy is definitely entertaining, Luke err... Well, snobbish Luke is going to make male fans (and female alike) scream in frustration and want to push him from a cliff I can understand how the complete snobbish-arrogant side surfaces in 2nd Episode though.

Jade, as usual, is amusing, complete with Takehito Koyasu Cue my fangirl happiness, especially since I just played a dating-sim game with him voicing a dateable character. Indignation is worth of fanservice for the game fans. Anise and Ion is seemingly good enough and really follow the characterization from the game.

Animation-wise, nothing special, but still consistent enough. Can be improved though and I would hope so in the future episode. Still need to adapt with the anime design for the characters

Overall, decent enough to be a good adaptation in the first two episodes, which is quite rare considering the game/manga adaptation we usually get is rather crappy or not good enough to compete with the original. Still, I really hope that the anime would be clearer in the ending :/

Oh, and some fanarts... As expected though, old fans make a comeback since the anime starts to air lol at Luke being one of the most famous search in one of sharing site

I'm truly avoiding spoilers for the non-gamers. Curiosity works wonder when spoiler tags is embedded. And I have not included certain type of fanarts for fanboys sanity sake Though I can't guarantee about it in the later episodes...

P.S : I wonder where are all the fangirls that is supposed to see this adaptation due to... Ahem, the bait for certain type of fangirls... I'm seeing only "Tear is MOE" and all Tear... Though I really would wait until the anime reached the half-point of the game for some of material for my twisting *Hides certain type of fanarts until the materials are dropped *

Natsuki Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 01:11   Link #377
NoLongerSane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Yes, Van is voiced by Diethard's VA, George Nakata and Yukana as Tear.

Abyss has quite the star-studded cast of Nakata, Koyasu, Yukana, etc. The only different VA is Ion's, whom original VA seemed to have semi-retired after her first child.

Edit: Also, for the heck of it...

*flees*
Lol. Well, they do dress in a similar fashion.
NoLongerSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 01:39   Link #378
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks View Post
No subbed karaoke. Hard to read font. Less than stellar editing.

Pass.
Thanks for the feedback. After seeing your post I figured some seeds would have finally showed up and......voila!

Didn't find the font all that hard to read and from the perspective of someone that knows nothing about encodes, japanese or english grammar, this was a very nice and solid release.

Will try out other versions of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scyth View Post
... In the end, the Weib version wouldn't even play for me. Some error about a video track not being present...
I could play it just fine with the latest version of the CCCP.

EDIT:

Oh yes, nice episode overall. The pace feels a bit rushed at some points, and as someone else already pointed out, Luke's voice sounded a bit too young for his looks (Or that's how it sounded to me at least).

Nice to see Natalia since the beginning.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2008-10-06 at 01:55.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 01:56   Link #379
X10A_Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
I suspect that some newcomers are more familiar with Code Geass.
Indeed I've never played the game. I liked the ToS OVAs (yay for another 4 eps!) and thought ToA would be something worth watching.

Episode 2, some good action there and I found Luke to be more funny and comical rather than annoying. Oh, and we get a typical Sunrise cliffhanger at the end!

Seems a series worth following. I really like the art style and colour palette.
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com
X10A_Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 02:18   Link #380
kujoe
from head to heel

Actually, I found Luke to be a breath of fresh air. He isn't the usual silent or emo, or goody-two-shoes protagonist that you would expect to star in a typical JRPG. He's an ass. Now there is a limit of course, but ah, I think I should leave it at that before I spoil anything unintentionally.

Heck, Luke was the #2 favorite character in Namco's poll the last time I checked—even beating Jade. (Leon is still #1 of course.) And there was this one poll conducted by a magazine that was separated by categories, and if I'm not mistaken Luke got #1 for hero, with Tear as #1 heroine—a rare moment wherein Leon got beaten.

I'm not so sure now with Tales of Vesperia, but yes, Tales of the Abyss is still one of the more popular Tales games right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga
P.S : I wonder where are all the fangirls that is supposed to see this adaptation due to... Ahem, the bait for certain type of fangirls...
There are a lot of guys in the story. I mean, it's almost as if Namco had a fujoshi writing the story from the sidelines just to cater to the female fanbase.

Tags
fantasy