Notices

Old 2008-10-04, 22:28   Link #81
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
this is more azumanga to me than anything else but they dont have osaka
I don't know, I watched the episode and didn't really get much of the azumanga daioh vibe from it. Our opinions are different from each other because when I was watching the episode I didn't really compare it to anything.
rainnydaiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 23:01   Link #82
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
You know, I'm honestly not sure what I thought of this from the first episode. I definitely don't see the similarities to the shows it's been compared to (Manabi Straight, etc) except in a very superficial sense.

Reading what I could of the manga, it's definitely translated very faithfully, but at least the early chapters don't really seem like material suited to animating. It's quite enjoyable, don't get me wrong, but when it's storytelling style is translated--no matter how beautifully they animated it--it feels empty.

I'll keep watching, though, to see if they hit it. It's peaceful and funny, which is just what I need, so I'll keep hoping they manage to get the formula working in animated form. It's certainly gorgeous, though.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 23:24   Link #83
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

The vibes I got were a mix of Ichigo Mashimaro and Hidamari Sketch. It was a bit too out-there to get any Sketchbook vibes. As Vexx says, there's the offbeat characters, but there's none of the moments of tranquility that bring balance to Sketchbook. But I did get big Seinfeld vibes from this episode.

All of these "shows about nothing" comedies (which I actually think is far and away anime's strongest comedic genre) inevitably get compared with Seinfeld at some stage. But this really strongly reminded me of the episode where they got lost in the parking lot. That was one of the all-time classic episodes of that series. This was mildly amusing. I wouldn't say I was rofl-ing, but it had its moments. I think there's potential there. If nothing else, the characters have the right chemistry for good character-based humour.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 00:18   Link #84
Sparrow1770
Avian Member

I haven't seen it mentioned yet so I'll just throw it out there:

上下山虎子 (Kageyama Torako)
虎 (tora) = tiger

伊井塚龍姫 (Iizuka Tatsuki)
龍 (tatsu) = dragon

早乙女雀 (Saotome Suzume)
雀 (suzume) = sparrow

能乃村歩巳 (Nonomura Ayumi)
巳 (mi) = snake (as in "year of the ...")

So Tatsuki is "dragon princess."

As you may recall, we saw the same kind of wordplay with Minami-ke's four "seasonal" Minami characters (Haruka/spring, Kana/summer, Chiaki/fall, Touma/winter).

Oh and I suppose some of you may be thinking of that other tiger/dragon combo from this season (Toradora)...
Sparrow1770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 00:56   Link #85
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

mmmmmm, dragon princess
Old 2008-10-05, 04:08   Link #86
Tiran86

First episode was decent. I was amused at a few points. So far Torako seems to be the reason to watch the show. I'll give it to episode 3 at least.
Tiran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 05:14   Link #87
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Jinsoo Send a message via MSN to Jinsoo
The series gets a lot funnier in the next episodes. I was a bit surprised that they went and had them lost for the entire episode. But not too surprised since they were lost throughout chapter one(however it was only 28 pages long with not a lot of panels on each page either). At least they added in some silly filler scenes. I really like the crisp look to the show, I was a bit worried the anime wouldn't do the manga any justice but I got smacked in the face with some pretty decent animation. I love the manga and I can't wait for the secondary characters to make their real debut(especially Nene's and Touma's).
Jinsoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 05:35   Link #88
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Wow, I haven't laughed so many times in a single debut in a quite a while. I absolutely loved the timing of the comedy and have a lot of faith instilled from the first ep alone.

It might just be THE comedy of the season from what I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
All of these "shows about nothing" comedies (which I actually think is far and away anime's strongest comedic genre) inevitably get compared with Seinfeld at some stage. But this really strongly reminded me of the episode where they got lost in the parking lot. That was one of the all-time classic episodes of that series. This was mildly amusing. I wouldn't say I was rofl-ing, but it had its moments. I think there's potential there. If nothing else, the characters have the right chemistry for good character-based humour.
The more nonsensical, the better I'd say. I'd like a good comedy show for once that isn't dumbed down like To-Love-Ru or just too off the wall like Kyouan Kazoku (though I love it) or to do with a theme or anything like that.

Also, the lost aspect was pretty funny to me since I happened to get into the same exact situation (Damn you acres of college campus and hundreds of buildings!) and I wanted to do exactly what the girls did in this show. Trespass, break windows, break doorhandles, punch faculty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
This pretty much sums up how I feel. These types of shows with the main cast consisting of all females and no romance don't usually strike my fancy unless it's really clever. And though I like Torako's personality, I hate Ayumi's(reminds me of Hitohira's Komugi ) and the show as a whole isn't clever enough for my tastes. I'll still keep up with it, for now.
At least Hitohira's Mugi-chan surpassed her shyness and that was the whole point of the show. Ayu's thing seems to be that it's cause for a lot of paranoia, lots of wild imaginations and a general foil to the show. If the show was a serious show and she was the typical scared-girl, then I'd agree it'd be somewhat annoying. But I had no resentment because her paranoia just went totally wild this ep and hopefully that'll continue.

And though the PREMISE wasn't clever or anything, I thought the comedic pacing and writing were pretty top notch. I personally am only worrying about them keeping up the pace.

Last edited by SuperKnuckles; 2008-10-05 at 05:54.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 08:58   Link #89
phishn37
Time to fly ~ !

I wasn't planning on watching this one, but I'm waiting for other stuff to come out and had nothing to do...

But I ended up liking it. The premise seems kind of boring, but it's got Aya Hirano in it, and Torako is a fun fun character also. I think I'll continue on this one!
phishn37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 09:35   Link #90
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Speaking of expectations, I had none. I almost dreaded watching it then I couldn't help but get taken in. Now I'm absolutely hyped about it, albeit it'll sadly be a short 13 episode run if it remains fun. Speaking of Hirano, the seiyuu talent across the board seems to be really good too.

And as for Azumanga and Sketchbook comparisons, believe it or not, it might be apt. Because the director did some storyboard for both of those shows. No wonder the comedic direction feels so dead on. The guy has experience.
Old 2008-10-06, 08:02   Link #91
Bathory Area
Jigoku Shoujo

EP1 is better than I expected.
*although I think Hirono Aya should voice a girl with longer hair.

Spoiler for Hyakko:
Bathory Area is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 14:16   Link #92
JediNight
キズランダム

My question for Ep1: If it was already in the middle of class -- why was their teacher in the courtyard instead of in class, anyways?
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 15:41   Link #93
nareshov
*Fansubber

Not every teacher has a class at a given time.
HTH.
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 15:48   Link #94
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Wasn't planning on watching this, but what the heck...

The start of anime seasons are all about whatching first episodes at random.

Hope this is not too much like Hidamari Sketch, though. I was never able to get into that show. >_<!
Old 2008-10-06, 17:58   Link #95
amjzz

Saw the first episode...its an awsome anime.

Alot of comedy.
amjzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 06:22   Link #96
FateAnomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
My question for Ep1: If it was already in the middle of class -- why was their teacher in the courtyard instead of in class, anyways?
I think the teacher is looking for them. Its quite a big thing to lose 4 students.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 08:40   Link #97
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Wasn't planning on watching this, but what the heck...

The start of anime seasons are all about whatching first episodes at random.

Hope this is not too much like Hidamari Sketch, though. I was never able to get into that show. >_<!
I'm almost shocked that almost all the new shows are not only watchable but pretty good in their own right.

No anime really sticks out to me as "MUST DROP" for me, even though I admit I'm a pretty lenient anime viewer. I'm sorta like an anime omnivore... heh

As for Hidamari Sketch, this show seems way too frantically paced at least in its comedy to be like Hidamari. Hidamari was a true slice of life style show from beginning to end. I suppose this show in its convention will be too, but there seems to be way more physical and paranoia comedy. Some would say that's sorta Seinfeld-ish, and I'd agree.
Old 2008-10-07, 12:00   Link #98
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
As for Hidamari Sketch, this show seems way too frantically paced at least in its comedy to be like Hidamari. Hidamari was a true slice of life style show from beginning to end. I suppose this show in its convention will be too, but there seems to be way more physical and paranoia comedy. Some would say that's sorta Seinfeld-ish, and I'd agree.
Agree, just the comedy elements alone, set it apart from Hidamari.

I don't have a problem with slice of life shows, btw. I simply couldn't dig the way this was presented in Hidamari. (way too hardcore slice of life for me I guess >_<)
Old 2008-10-08, 13:12   Link #99
Midonin
Last Engage

Spoiler for Hyakko 02 - Take Me Out to the Ballgame...:
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 14:04   Link #100
JediNight
キズランダム

Spoiler for Ep2:
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, parody, school life, shounen, slice of life