AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-12-02, 21:58   Link #1
Radkin

X-mas - Anime Gift, Suggestions

Would someone be able to suggest to me some anime to get my boyfriend for x-mas? He likes stuff along the lines of Paranoia Agent, FLC, Cowboy Be-bop, Death Note, Secret World of Ariety, Spirited Away, etc. I want to get him at least one rare anime.

Last edited by Radkin; 2012-12-02 at 22:36.
Radkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 23:17   Link #2
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Can you be more specific in your request?
What is his preference? Action, comedy, drama, slice of life?
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 23:41   Link #3
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

If you want an anime specifically for Christmas, it has to be Tokyo Godfathers by Kon Satoshi. It's also dubbed with DVDs out.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 23:43   Link #4
Radkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
Can you be more specific in your request?
What is his preference? Action, comedy, drama, slice of life?
I would be if I could. He deff likes action, comedy & slice of life. I'm still learning what he's into. We haven't had much discussion on the matter & haven't watched much together yet. I know he likes a lot of bizarre things.

I'm probbaly going to get him the Studio Ghibli box set, Samurai Champloo, Corpse Princess and/or maybe Neon Genesis Evangelion. Thoughts?
Old 2012-12-02, 23:49   Link #5
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radkin View Post
I'm probbaly going to get him the Studio Ghibli box set, Samurai Champloo, Corpse Princess and/or maybe Neon Genesis Evangelion. Thoughts?
There are good animes. So i believe it will be good gifts for him.
But these titles are considered a mainstream. So i dont know about the rare criteria. I mean, well, he could probably have watched/owned the video.

And I seconded MeoTwister5's suggestion.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-03, 00:07   Link #6
Radkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
There are good animes. So i believe it will be good gifts for him.
But these titles are considered a mainstream. So i dont know about the rare criteria. I mean, well, he could probably have watched/owned the video.

And I seconded MeoTwister5's suggestion.
Yeaaaah, that's my only problem with that idea. I know he'll probably like it but I want to get at least one thing not main stream. Ya know? I'm not really sure like where to start or what to get though. I mean, I'm still new to the scene.

The Tokyo Godfathers I'll probably get for the hell of it just to give him something christmasie. Looks good. Thanks guys!
Old 2012-12-03, 00:25   Link #7
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

http://myanimelist.net/anime/9253/Steins;Gate

if he's into time the time traveling stuff you can get him steins gate. best anime of last year in my opinion
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is...ix=steins+gate

how much do you plan on spending?
Old 2012-12-04, 21:58   Link #8
Kmos

Martian Successor Nadesico has a bit of everything. More people need to own this 90s tv series!
Kmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 12:40   Link #9
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I need to clarify something about what you're requesting. Are you intending to get him DVD/Blu-ray versions?

If you're looking for purchases, www.rightstuf.com is currently doing their 13 days of Christmas annual sale and has some heavily discounted titles on offer. If you're looking for a title that's normally well over 50 and now in the $10-25 range, this would be the time to act. The sales are now on Day 10, so there's 3 more days of discounted titles to be announced before you lose the chance to order.

Here's some suggestions from Days 1-10. I'll make suggestions absed on the titles you mentioned and the fact you said 'rare'/something different. You may want to check out footage or episodes of any prospective title yourself before taking the plunge. The hinderance was the low number of titles mentioned or styles/genres he's into, so hopefully this does get something you'd both like.

Day 1:

- Samurai Champloo. Same director as Cowboy Bebop. Samurais in Edo period Japan with a hip-hop twist. $25 for all 26 eps.

- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Sounds like he likes action and Ghost in the Shell is one of the true action titles. Both Seasons 1 and 2 are at $20 each for all 26 eps of each.

Day 2:

- Kurenai. Taking a bit of a gamble on this one based on his tastes. You listed Spirited Away so he sounds like he can like titles with kids that are special and nicer than the norm. And the mention of Kon titles suggests he's into things different from the norm. Kurenai is a mix of both - 16 year old boy raising a 7 year old girl in some treacherous, hilarious and touching times. $20.

Day 4:

- Someday's Dreamers. 17 year old mage undergoes an apprenticeship to become a licensed mage. Kind of like that heartwarming vibe you'd get from Ghibli but in a more mature setting. Hasn't been anything like it in years. $18.

- Living For The Day After Tomorrow. 12 year old girl and 28 year old woman end up ageswapping. Things get complicated but it's handled with rare tact and maturity overall. Could be a bit comparable to the Ghibli feel but this is pitched at a somewhat slower pace and a more mature audience and you won't find anything else like it. $16.

Day 5:

- Redline. If you're looking to get him a movie that's red-blooded, looks brilliant and is quite entertaining, this will probably work. $7.50,

Day 8:

- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Thought I'd mention this since it's one of the better shounens/actions and you mentioned Death Note. If he isn't aware of this one, see if he'd like it. It's a rare case of the creator setting an exact length and ending in mind, unlike most shounen titles. Bit more intense than average shounen. $56.50 for all 64 eps, normally $140.

Day 10:

- Slayers. Bebop was from the 90s and so was Slayers. Perchance if he likes fantasy DnD style and the 90s style, then he;d probably enjoy this. $30 for Seasons 1-3.

Hope you find something you both like.