AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2010-10-14, 17:49   Link #1141
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

well, since we bumped this thread, i can safely say: my favorite anime movie.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 18:33   Link #1142
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yeah, it ain't half bad!
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-17, 16:59   Link #1143
Cream

Ahh , my first and favorite anime movie.
Not going to lie , I kinda had this tingle in my stomach after watching it and felt some kind of depression for like 2 days. It was basically my introduction to Anime. Much respect.
Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-17, 17:23   Link #1144
Alex Keller
Infornographer

Send a message via AIM to Alex Keller
I really liked the animation on this one ^.^
Alex Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-17, 17:29   Link #1145
Cream

^^ It was definitely attractive.
I love one of the last scenes after the train passed and hes just looking at the blossomed flowers.
It was amazing, that scene is the type of scene that hits me hard and makes me wonder why I can never get a scene in real life to look like that, Blah. What evaaa
Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-06, 23:59   Link #1146
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
I just finished the movie, and surprising I enjoyed it.
I like the fact that it didn't emphasize too heavily on story, and progressed smoothly, and not too suddenly.
Although, I didn't understand the rockets significance in the story.
Old 2010-11-07, 01:53   Link #1147
zette

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil1 View Post
Although, I didn't understand the rockets significance in the story.
It is a metaphor about one of the main themes of the film, which is the pain that comes with distance. Takaki, at one point in the show, thinks to himself about how a rocket's journey must be "a lonelier journey than anyone could imagine" since it has to "press forward through the true pitch darkness" on its own. This is reminiscent of the train ride that he himself endured to meet up with Akari in the first part of the film.

It is also, at the same time, a representation of why Kanae, no matter how hard she tries, will never get Takaki to like her. Takaki is similar to the rocket in the sense that he is focused on something so far off and unreachable (Akari); he was always "gazing off into the distance towards something far beyond our [his] wildest dreams". It is with this knowledge that Kanae comes to the painful realization that Takaki will never reciprocate her feelings.

Last edited by zette; 2010-11-07 at 02:12.
zette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 02:07   Link #1148
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zette View Post
It is a metaphor about one of the main themes of the film, which is the pain that comes with distance. Takaki, at one point in the show, thinks to himself about how a rocket's journey must be "a lonelier journey than anyone could imagine" since it has to "press forward through the true pitch darkness" on its own. This is reminiscent of the train ride that he himself endured to meet up with Akari in the first part of the film.

It is also, at the same time, a representation of why Kanae, no matter how hard she tries, will never get Takaki to like her. Takaki is similar to the rocket in the sense that he is focused on something so far off and unreachable (Akaki); he was always "gazing off into the distance towards something far beyond our [his] wildest dreams". It is with this knowledge that Kanae comes to the painful realization that Takaki will never reciprocate her feelings.
Ah I get it... I didn't see that at first. Now I do. Thanks. Now I enjoy it so much better. Thanks.
Old 2010-11-07, 14:16   Link #1149
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Plus, no one is better than Shinkai at really pretty shots of rockets taking off
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 20:34   Link #1150
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

yeah, there was a line in there, something like "traveling thousands of miles, and never even encountering a single hydrogen molecule" (pulled that one from my memory ) which is representative of Takaki's journey to find Akari again. How it'll be lonely to get to the destination.

which is also presented in Hoshi no Koe, when Noboru says "i'll make my heart colder, harder, stronger" (from memory as well) in order to bear the distance that's come between him and mikako.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-14, 08:38   Link #1151
HalcyonDays

Hi everyone! Sorry if I'm bumping an old thread but I just finished the movie last night and wanted to discuss it with others so I joined this forum ^_^

Gosh, where should I start? The animation is just stunning... The amount of details in the drawings (the reflections in water puddles look absolutely amazing), use of vibrant colors, lens flare etc. makes it look so beautiful. I used to think that Miyazaki made the best looking films but 5cm per Second just blows them all out of the water (just my own personal opinion. The amount of dedication Miyazaki puts in his films and his great storytelling still wins my admiration).

I didn't drop my attention once during the entire movie but I found the third chapter the least interesting, especially the flashbacks which I found to be a somewhat 'lazy' way of storytelling. It didn't help that I found "One more Time, One more chance" to be an irritating song. On the other hand, the scene in the first chapter where
Spoiler for :
makes me feel so emotional no matter how many times I rewatch it... The piano song played there is so soothing and I think the music fits in and suits the movie very well.

Although I felt very sad about the ending
Spoiler for :
I was very satisfied because cliched endings just puts me off. The ending used in 5cm per Second is probably the reason why it has such a great impact on me, because I found it to be original.

Thanks to everyone if you managed to read my post of feelings . Really love this movie and I'm so glad I followed up on someone's recommendation and watched it. I'm going to admit it and say that I only watched a kinda low quality version (480p) that I downloaded off the internet (mainly because it's hard to find the movie where I live), but I really like this movie and I'll try to order the Blu-Ray version online.
I'm going to try to make a signature of the scene where Takaki and Akari are in the library together ^_^. I also wanted to ask what other people thought about this movie (favorite scenes etc.) and if isn't too off-topic are there any other suggestions on anime movies with stunningly beautiful art like 5cm per Second?

Last edited by HalcyonDays; 2010-12-26 at 07:17.
HalcyonDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-14, 13:17   Link #1152
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I also found the ending song a bit weird at first but it kinda grew on me as I went along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalcyonDays View Post
I'm going to admit it and say that I only watched a kinda low quality version (480p)
Blasphemy! Watching this film in anything less than 720p should be a crime! DX

Quote:
and if isn't too off-topic are there any other suggestions on anime movies with stunningly beautiful art like 5cm per Second?
Makoto Shinkai has made two other films: The Place Promised In Our Early Years and Voices of a Distant Star, which feature the same art and very similar stories.

As for other films with stunning art I'd recommend Time of Eve (Sci-fi: About robots) and Kara no Kyoukai (Dark supernatural)
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-14, 20:26   Link #1153
HalcyonDays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Blasphemy! Watching this film in anything less than 720p should be a crime! DX
Well, I did watch it in Japanese audio with English subtitles, so I still had a good viewing experience :P. It's films like these that make me want to learn Japanese so that I can fully concentrate on the art without having to quickly look at the subtitles before I can take a glimpse at the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Makoto Shinkai has made two other films: The Place Promised In Our Early Years and Voices of a Distant Star, which feature the same art and very similar stories.

As for other films with stunning art I'd recommend Time of Eve (Sci-fi: About robots) and Kara no Kyoukai (Dark supernatural)
Yeah, I knew that looking for his other films would be a good start. I think I might see The Place Promised in Our Early Days first and I'll try your other suggestions as well. Thanks!
HalcyonDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-15, 12:00   Link #1154
zette

Quote:
I was very satisfied because cliched endings just puts me off.
Indeed. I'm a sucker for bittersweet endings and this film pulled it off flawlessly imo. It would have been nice to see Takaki and Akari be together happily ever after, but in life you don't always get what you want and I liked that the film reflected this harsh truth.
Old 2010-12-15, 13:10   Link #1155
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
It didn't help that I found "One more Time, One more chance" to be an irritating song.
I guess it's because you don't typically listen to such songs? It's a heartfelt ballad that gradually grew on me the more I listened to it, and it was apparently a very popular song in Japan as well. This rendition is particularly emotional, I felt; singer Masayoshi Yamazaki poured so much of himself into it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zette View Post
Indeed. I'm a sucker for bittersweet endings and this film pulled it off flawlessly imo. It would have been nice to see Takaki and Akari be together happily ever after, but in life you don't always get what you want and I liked that the film reflected this harsh truth.
If you haven't seen it, you really owe it to yourself and a fellow countryman to read this excellent review published in Riuva way back when.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-24, 07:15   Link #1156
jtstellar

since this is a film that makes people come back to it again and again most likely for decades to come.. this is what i did just now

it just occurred to me that this film is more concerned with a person's own inner self as in the memories buried within, rather than talking about childhood deep relationships which is generic by comparison. this is evidenced by the protagonist not chasing after his suspected childhood friend in the end which was entirely possible on foot with a woman's ~20 second walking distance.

the film goes much deeper and describes what many people do to a varying degree--immortalize a person you can no longer meet, to a point where it is beyond the actual person in many regards that one may even choose memories over the person in reality when given the choice (as his decision to not chase in the end). this message would become mischaracterized if one were to treat this film as only a film about deep lovers.. the real message of the film is one which is much deeper than its mischaracterized counterpart.

Last edited by jtstellar; 2011-02-24 at 07:30.
jtstellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-06, 11:40   Link #1157
taichi-kun

This movie is so sad... I cryied like a baby at the end

Spoiler:

She moved on first

I don't know why some people say that in chapter 3, akari did call takaki on 21/12... and takaki called her on 3/5 and she broke up with his boyfriend in tokyo

I found some pictures about why they say that :

http://www.closr.it/show/KcFqFLZrlYv
The phone call

http://www.closr.it/show/KNGqb_sCfny

The only girl in the picture is akari, and his boyfriend is alone in the middle.
taichi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-07, 03:13   Link #1158
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi-kun View Post
I don't know why some people say that in chapter 3, akari did call takaki on 21/12... and takaki called her on 3/5 and she broke up with his boyfriend in tokyo

I found some pictures about why they say that :

http://www.closr.it/show/KcFqFLZrlYv
The phone call

http://www.closr.it/show/KNGqb_sCfny

The only girl in the picture is akari, and his boyfriend is alone in the middle.
I'm not quite sure what you're asking about. The second picture you've linked above shows... nothing? Just a scene of a street?

As for the first picture, I believe that was Takaki's most recent girlfriend, whom he had already broken up with by the start of the third chapter. Takaki and Akari had stopped communicating with each other since they were in high school. They never resumed their correspondence.

It's a matter of debate as to who stopped first. My feeling is that Akari did. There is evidence — her unsent letter — to support this point of view. However, I haven't read the novel, which may go a bit further to clarify the point.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-07, 07:31   Link #1159
animenyo

I watched it long time ago.
Its pretty good movie but i hate it.

Since i was as stupid as main protagonist.

Watching this movie is like reminiscing my stupid past...
Well, not quite though...

But its kinda hurt watching this movie...
animenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-07, 17:17   Link #1160
taichi-kun

The first picture is akari

And the second picture, is when she broke up with his boyfriend.
taichi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coming of age, drama, romance, shinkai