AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-08-13, 19:50   Link #461
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

I thought the episode was nice. It wasn't lacking at all to me. I personally don't know why someone would call it a "weak episode".
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-13, 19:58   Link #462
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I guess I'm in the minority. I really like Kouki. I don't find him annoying in the least. I like his spunk.
I like Kouki. He's a bit rambunctious but otherwise a cute kid.

I like the fact that although he was wrong about the neighbor he did try to protect Rin.
Old 2011-08-13, 21:54   Link #463
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think those of us that like Kouki are actually in the majority here...
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-13, 21:59   Link #464
Raiga
tl;dr

For me it's not so much whether I like or dislike Kouki. His character just rings so true with what I know of children and remember about being a child that it's hard not to be amused or feel nostalgic when watching him. I guess that means if I had to pick, I'd say I like him.

I also think he serves as a good foil for Rin, and when it comes down to it a kid needs a playmate.
Old 2011-08-13, 23:30   Link #465
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Dammit, I didn't want to like the anime, but it's pretty well done, holds up quite nicely to the manga. Although I'm not a fan of Daikichi's VA and his mothers, but they grew on me by the end of the episode. Goddammit Rin would melt the icey black heart of even the most cruel, unforgiving warlord. One of my favorite characters ever.
Old 2011-08-14, 03:58   Link #466
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

You know he's still a kid , and who never did stupid things ?

I can imagine his character later , you know , he can be the kind of funny guy in the anime who comes after the main serious male lead and can be a pervert too ^^
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 05:27   Link #467
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
You know he's still a kid , and who never did stupid things ?

I can imagine his character later , you know , he can be the kind of funny guy in the anime who comes after the main serious male lead and can be a pervert too ^^
Well i don't mind him to do his 'stupid things' in the background. Every screen involved him should be told through Rin's conversation with Daikichi....

I means i probably was as silly as back when i was as young. But that's why i don't write a whole novel (or make a whole anime) about it

All the episodes have pretty much perfect so far. But i fear that they will bring down the road where the focus is no longer between Daikichi, Rin, her mom, but into school life mode where Daikichi drop down to support character who appear like once for 20 seconds every episode
Old 2011-08-14, 07:22   Link #468
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I've nothing against Kouki at all. Personally i don't see what's annoying about him.
Old 2011-08-14, 07:32   Link #469
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I want to remind manga readers to not leave any comments that suggest anything about future story content. That includes any comments that imply that people will or will not like certain story events or characters based on what they will do later. First, we consider that a spoiler, and those aren't allowed. Second, there's never any absolute guarantee that an anime will follow the source material faithfully anyway, so you can never be sure. If you wish to discuss the manga, please do so in the manga thread. I hope this to be the only needed warning in this thread.
Old 2011-08-14, 08:35   Link #470
jwai

Just got up to speed with Usagi Drop to episode 5. Couple of things that bug me though:

Spoiler:
jwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 15:22   Link #471
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Honestly , I don't see a problem to show Kouki in the anime , he's Rin's friend , we just saw a bit friendship between them and how hopeless was Kouki , it's not like if they had focused on him. -Slice of life.

And btw , he might be Rin's boyfriend later on. Unless he'll get a harem
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 23:29   Link #472
calorie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwai View Post
Spoiler:
I'm kind of glad they never went into details explaining that. The notion that Masako somehow hooked up with the gramps (who's by the looks of it, supposed to have been a nice man) is yucky as it is, so I'm hoping they'll leave it at that as it wouldn't do this show any good...
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 11:39   Link #473
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
This is indeed one of the most enjoyable series I've watched in the last 10 years or so. I also am curious to know how is this show doing among the female viewers? Judging from the posting in this thread, most of the viewers in this thread appears to be male... So I'm curious to see if the ladies are finding this show attractive also and from which aspect of the storytelling.
Wife-unit hasn't watched it yet or I'd give her view... maybe I can corral her this weekend.
My mum was instantly hooked the moment I showed her the first few episodes of Usagi Drop. She was most recently enchanted by Karigurashi no Arrietty (Borrower Arrietty), so you have an idea of what kind of anime she enjoys.

Caught up with the latest three episodes in a single sitting. There's a lot to digest and, in any case, I would probably end up repeating what everyone else has said. Like Shiroth, I greatly enjoyed the latest tree-planting episode and I don't feel it was necessarily "weaker" than the rest of the show. The differences, as usual, are in the subtleties: This is the first episode in a while in which Rin was not confronted by some kind of domestic problem or personal insecurity in Daikichi's home, and her talkativeness is particularly noticeable as a result. She had demonstrated a certain eloquence and precociousness in earlier episodes, but she was chatting almost non-stop during some scenes this time, the strongest sign yet that she is adjusting extremely well to her new family environment.

As for the tradition of planting trees, I took it as a metaphor for the traditional family tree that connects all branches of a family to one another. This was clearly illustrated in the closing scene, where we see Rin, followed by Daikichi, then his mother and, lastly, Daikichi's grandfather, all treading the same root path. By this time, there are already very strong hints that Rin may not actually be biologically related to Daikichi, but this episode shows that the ties between Rin and her new family have gone beyond mere biology — they are tied now by fate and emotions which, for once, may prove thicker than blood.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 19:08   Link #474
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
As for the tradition of planting trees, I took it as a metaphor for the traditional family tree that connects all branches of a family to one another. This was clearly illustrated in the closing scene, where we see Rin, followed by Daikichi, then his mother and, lastly, Daikichi's grandfather, all treading the same root path. By this time, there are already very strong hints that Rin may not actually be biologically related to Daikichi, but this episode shows that the ties between Rin and her new family have gone beyond mere biology — they are tied now by fate and emotions which, for once, may prove thicker than blood.
I actually have my own tree (an Ash tree so it's waaaaaay bigger than me by now) so I didn't think it was a metaphor for anything. I suppose because of my bias I thought the episode was rather cute and didn't think it weaker than the others.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 19:44   Link #475
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
I actually have my own tree (an Ash tree so it's waaaaaay bigger than me by now) so I didn't think it was a metaphor for anything. I suppose because of my bias I thought the episode was rather cute and didn't think it weaker than the others.
We planted a tree for each kid when we moved to the Pacific Northwest... a Douglas Fir for each.
Old 2011-08-18, 12:08   Link #476
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ep 6 was sooooo adorable! Man ... 8/10 vote for it from me.

It continues to be an excellent adaptation of an excellent manga! The tree planting ... err ... "mini arc" (?) is one of my fave sections of the manga as well.
Old 2011-08-18, 13:05   Link #477
HandofFate

just watched episode 5.
What's with Rin's biological mother and father both having black hair, and Rin is blonde?
Old 2011-08-18, 13:15   Link #478
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep7:
Old 2011-08-18, 13:25   Link #479
Kopi
Σ(゚ロ゚ノ)ノ

I know, Kouki. Women and their shopping tendencies

More Kouki's mom and Daikichi moment are great too
Kopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 14:08   Link #480
HandofFate

Kouki's kind of a brat right now..but give him 9-10 years and he make a fine main character in some high school anime complete with a female childhood friend

Tags
josei, noitamina, romance