AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-02-05, 10:46   Link #201
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
First of all, my guess is we'll never reach the point were people will even be conscious the system exists.
Then why use it in the first place?

Quote:
Nobody has to keep track of it, except Karin. Why would the contestents have to keep track?
No one will. That's why there will be many answers that aren't even a link or won't say which riddle they tried to solve. Or forgot to check the deadline. The last two things won't happen with one riddle at a time. It also complicates debating the riddles.

Quote:
Choose a riddle. Try to solve it.
If you get "stuck" wait for the interval to pass, and you'll get another riddle.
(see: Karin for when interval deadline is; we could probably use the calendar for this as well)
I like the calender idea!

I still think that system only complicates things unnecessarily, though.
I even think it keeps people from trying to solve the hard riddles - there's still an easier alternative after all, so why agonize over the first one?

It's just my opinion, if your system gets used - alright! But I personally would pefer the simple structure of one riddle at a time
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 12:08   Link #202
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@AuroraFlash, riddles are posted in the other thread in this section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
No one will. That's why there will be many answers that aren't even a link or won't say which riddle they tried to solve. Or forgot to check the deadline. The last two things won't happen with one riddle at a time. It also complicates debating the riddles.

It's just my opinion, if your system gets used - alright! But I personally would pefer the simple structure of one riddle at a time
My basic problem is this: if you give me a riddle, and I spend 2 weeks (going by the current interval) and it's still not solved, then I don't want it spoiled! I still want to try solving it! I don't care about the money, and the rep prize is even more useless to me (I have rep disabled as you can see), so the satisfaction I get for solving it is my only reward. Considering we have a full fledged spoiler policy and such, I'm sure I'm not entirely alone on this. However, I'm equally sure there are people who want it spoiled, so the system I proposed is basically a compromise.

As for the part about confusion. To even have two riddles at the same time would take a month! (or two weeks going by the latest discussion) We could just have a riddle submission thread for each; which would also hold the hints in the first post and get closed/unstickied when the riddle is solved. Or we could require people to post the riddle identifier, ie. "riddle A, my answer is blah blah".

For every post that doesn't meet the requirement a moderator just checks the little box at the top, and hits delete after marking a few. Similarly for any other answers that do not meet the rules, ie. post with out a url, or posts with simply a hole bunch of urls (30+) and no explanation, and other similar cases. Though I have faith this won't be necessary except very very rare and special cases; the standards here are not that low.
Old 2011-02-05, 12:56   Link #203
monster

One solution that might satisfy both felix and zebra:

1. Keep the answers to riddles that haven't been solved within a time limit until the end of the competition.
2. Don't award points for any answer to a riddle that's given past its time limit.
3. Have all answers identify the corresponding riddles, e.g. Answer to Riddle #3, etc.

That way, some people can still try to solve those riddles if they wanted to while other people can just concentrate on the current riddle without worrying about having to solve past riddles.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 13:10   Link #204
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@monster, I'm okey with it, but zebra might be even more against it, since unlike mine you don't even get points but all the messages and so called "chaos" he describes is still there. I think we both got the same idea here really, the only difference being in mine points need to be awarded, so there's some extra math to the explanation.
Old 2011-02-05, 13:19   Link #205
monster

Well, #3 in my solution should quickly identify which riddle is being discussed in a post. And because of #2, most people would just focus on the latest, current riddle since there's no point in answering past riddles (other than just to solve them).

So, for most people, they would check the other thread for the latest riddle, then they would go to this thread and just skip over posts that aren't related to that riddle.

I don't think that would be too confusing (as long as people mark their posts appropriately).
Old 2011-02-05, 17:07   Link #206
MACVazquez
Rebel Against The God
*Fansubber

If a riddle is not solved forget about it
Keep working with the current one but don't spoil the others
If there's a tie or something we can use them
Old 2011-02-05, 17:09   Link #207
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@monster, in the system I described previously replace that -30% when interval expires with -100% and you get your system.

I mentioned alternatives to handling multiple riddles at the same time in the post just above your initial one.

@MACVazquez if the administration is not going to check for answers of the so called "expired" riddles it defeats the entire point. I mean what's the point of me trying to find the answer if nobody is there to tell me if I got it or not.
Old 2011-02-05, 22:01   Link #208
monster

I was actually thinking about individual riddle threads as well. But AnimeSuki seems to prefer a few larger threads (preferably one large thread) rather than a lot of smaller threads. And 20 threads are a lot of threads, especially if NightWish wants to continue for another 20 (assuming enough riddles are submitted) and so on.
Old 2011-02-06, 06:12   Link #209
JuGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I was actually thinking about individual riddle threads as well. But AnimeSuki seems to prefer a few larger threads (preferably one large thread) rather than a lot of smaller threads. And 20 threads are a lot of threads, especially if NightWish wants to continue for another 20 (assuming enough riddles are submitted) and so on.
My two cents (battered and reiterated they may be):
I think individual threads would probably work better because at least the havoc will be contained a bit and people won't have to trawl through pages to find the next riddle. If 20+ threads is a problem then you could always lock then delete threads that are complete and edit the results into the first post of an overall thread so everyone knows the riddle, answer, and winner of the particular one. Of course, having it all in one thread is fine too but I think people are going to have more problems finding the post with the riddle (not everyone is going to post only the answer, I'm sure they'll be discussion mixed in too).

To be honest, I'm gonna suck at this no matter how it's done.
Old 2011-02-06, 06:17   Link #210
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@JuGG, riddles are posted in the riddle thread.
Old 2011-02-06, 07:29   Link #211
JuGG

Quote:
@JuGG, riddles are posted in the riddle thread.
Cheers for the heads up felix, I can't believe I missed that. My two cents really were worthless; I should have read the thread more thoroughly/gave more than a quick glance to the general chat page. Never mind.
Old 2011-02-06, 13:30   Link #212
charlesccg
Strike Witches Researcher

Location: CURRENTLY WAITTING TO BE ASSIGNED BY GENENRAL ADOLFINE GALLAND (Philippines)
I think I miss things here.
Its been a while.
charlesccg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-07, 05:52   Link #213
BakaHaze

If riddles are so easily forgotten, just repost every riddle on the stack that is unsolved, with rewards remaining, deadlines, whatever. So new people discovering this will also be able to join in on the latest page withought digging through 30+ pages of... carp just to see all the riddles.

And people won't forget.

Also, I wonder how long till NightWish will have enough ta start...
Old 2011-02-07, 06:14   Link #214
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@BakaHaze, riddles are posted in the riddle thread.

Also, you can help. Just go submit a riddle to NightWish.
Old 2011-02-07, 07:49   Link #215
BakaHaze

Felix, you should Ignore me. I clearly lack a brain.

And I already have submitted. I assume It's been accepted with the no reply. =)
Old 2011-02-07, 08:07   Link #216
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaHaze View Post
And I already have submitted. I assume It's been accepted with the no reply. =)
NW seems to be busy as of late. It doesn't make sense to not send you a reply (in this particular case), so expect one some time in the future.
Old 2011-02-07, 14:21   Link #217
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
NW seems to be busy as of late. It doesn't make sense to not send you a reply (in this particular case), so expect one some time in the future.
Indeed, and I got a reply for mine, so I assume he's doing that all submission after he has time to review them.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-08, 22:21   Link #218
charlesccg
Strike Witches Researcher

Location: CURRENTLY WAITTING TO BE ASSIGNED BY GENENRAL ADOLFINE GALLAND (Philippines)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaHaze View Post
If riddles are so easily forgotten, just repost every riddle on the stack that is unsolved, with rewards remaining, deadlines, whatever. So new people discovering this will also be able to join in on the latest page withought digging through 30+ pages of... carp just to see all the riddles.

And people won't forget.

Also, I wonder how long till NightWish will have enough ta start...
What are the riddles anyway?
charlesccg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-08, 23:46   Link #219
sparrowhead

count me in hehe
sparrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-08, 23:59   Link #220
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I'm surprised there hasn't been a new riddle yet. Maybe I should think of one to get this back going. But I'm bad at making riddles so I'll just let someone else come up with one

Tags
contest, scavenger hunt