AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: -Your- picks for the best songs in Macross Frontier [Multiple-pick Option Enabled]
Welcome To My FanClub's Night! 67 21.34%
Shinkuu no Diamond Crevasse 108 34.39%
Aimo ~Tori no Hito 83 26.43%
Infinity 84 26.75%
Diamond Crevasse ~Sheryl Only♥ 184 58.60%
Northern Cross 150 47.77%
Anata no Oto 55 17.52%
Seikan Hikōu 82 26.11%
Yousei 98 31.21%
Ai Oboete Imasu ka ~Ranka 76 24.20%
Watashi no Kare wa Pilot 30 9.55%
Lion 165 52.55%
Diamond Crevasse 50/50 36 11.46%
Aoi no Ether 49 15.61%
Neko Nikki 20 6.37%
Nyan Nyan Service Medley 101 32.17%
What 'bout my star?@Formo 109 34.71%
Triangler ~ Maaya Sakomoto 71 22.61%
Iteza☆Gogo Kuji Don't be late 88 28.03%
What 'bout my star? ~Sheryl 78 24.84%
Aimo OC 52 16.56%
Triangular - Duet - 93 29.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-03-20, 06:02   Link #2641
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soranarumi View Post
Niji Iro Kuma Kuma was the first Ranka solo song I loved at the first listen. I mean, a lot of her song need more time to grow in me. In netabare album, I can feel Ranka is maturing
It was the first song I loved on the album.

Quote:
I prefer Kousoku Climax than the English version, and I dunno why Kindan no Elixir is so hard to grow in me (maybe it was too hard for me to understand what the meaning of the song before I watch the movie first).
I prefer the English. It makes better sense and... well, it's been out longer.

As for Kindan no Elixir... trust me, a lot of people still don't like that one. I don't know why. It gives off the same tone as Universal Bunny to me. I've yet to find a translation for it, but from what I can understand, I think it's related to her own virus - the V-type infection. I think... I only translated parts I understood.

Quote:
My favorite goes to Kuma Kuma, dShudiStab, Sayonara no Tsubasa, and F refrain.
Favorites:
1. Niji-Iro Kuma Kuma
2. Sayonara no Tsubasa ~ end of triangle
3. Hoshi Kira
4. Diamond Crevasse ~ thank you, Frontier
5. Seikan Hikou (LIVE in Alcatraz)
6. is a tie between Kindan no Elixir and Tori Aimo
7. Nyan Nyan Final Attack Frontier Greatest Hits!
8. F refrain
9. Houkago Overflow
10. dShudiStab
11. Get on it ~ Kousoku Climax
12. Ai-kun to Watashi
13. Koi wa Dogfight (First LIVE in Atlantis Dome)
14. just Lion in general.

I love the whole album, but I prefer the series songs over the lot of these. Quite a few of them at the end of the list above are kinda... WTF to me. Unless I see the movie, I don't know why some of them are inserted.

But in the Nyan Nyan Final Attack, I loved how they did the duets this time. Ranka's voice (Nakajima) matches up with Sheryl's voice (May'n) and now it sounds like they are vocalizing together, unlike how they performed Lion in the very first Nyan Nyan Service Melody. It's enjoyable.
And the new version of Northern Cross is a must have! I absolutely loved Northern Cross in the series, just as Diamond Crevasse. I'm a fan of May'n in general, but also Nakajima! I'm crazy about a duet Diamond Crevasse that doesn't sound like the 50/50 version. That one sucked.
LoveMeKags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 06:34   Link #2642
soranarumi
the Crowned Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
As for Kindan no Elixir... trust me, a lot of people still don't like that one. I don't know why. It gives off the same tone as Universal Bunny to me. I've yet to find a translation for it, but from what I can understand, I think it's related to her own virus - the V-type infection. I think... I only translated parts I understood.
I didn't said I don't like it. I've translated it, but I still didn't catch what is the true message on it. It was just like, listen and go next, there is no impression at all. That is why I said maybe I should watch the movie first until I said I will like it or not. Universal Bunny really express the flirtatious Sheryl, like Kuma Kuma that really express the moe Ranka. I really love both songs, Universal Bunny and Kuma Kuma

For Koi wa Dogfight, I prefer the shortest version. The melodies is just repeating and that was no fun

I love both Mamegu and May'n. They have a different voice tone but they can blend each other. I love new version of Nyan Nyan because they are completely blend each other. The same goes to dShudiStab. I don't really care about Engrish because the Japanese are Japanese, they don't have to push themselves to speak/sing English lyrics perfectly.
soranarumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 07:05   Link #2643
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
I didn't said I don't like it. I've translated it, but I still didn't catch what is the true message on it. It was just like, listen and go next, there is no impression at all. That is why I said maybe I should watch the movie first until I said I will like it or not. Universal Bunny really express the flirtatious Sheryl, like Kuma Kuma that really express the moe Ranka. I really love both songs, Universal Bunny and Kuma Kuma

For Koi wa Dogfight, I prefer the shortest version. The melodies is just repeating and that was no fun

I love both Mamegu and May'n. They have a different voice tone but they can blend each other. I love new version of Nyan Nyan because they are completely blend each other. The same goes to dShudiStab. I don't really care about Engrish because the Japanese are Japanese, they don't have to push themselves to speak/sing English lyrics perfectly.
Ah, from the impression I got, I thought you didn't like it. I see... I guess I hit the same question too. I've yet to figure out quite a few of the songs in that sense. Like how Ranka always refers to planes and flying yet most people say she doesn't take interest in Alto's dreams. And Sheryl tends to refer to death or loneliness more than planes or desires to fly with someone. It baffles me.

Well, Universal Bunny has the same tune as Kindan no Elixir. I could easily remix those two. Both have the same tone from May'n's voice. But Niji-Iro Kuma Kuma is like something out of a Card Captor Sakura fantasy; yet I still love it! I don't know why, but I love all the new songs except Get it on ~ Kousoku Climax.

I agree, Koi wa Dogfight was better in the original short version. Plus, I hate the live version. I wish all the songs would've been the originals and not live. It would've made it better.

I agree completely, the new Nyan Nyan melody really blends their voices together unlike the original Service melody that made me go "whose trying to outbest who here?" That was my only distaste in the original melody was that it was supposed to be a duet and yet it sounded like a fight... like Triangular was.

As for the English/Japanese thing... I just think that May'n pulls out her syllables for English too long. That's why when she sang in Yousei, I didn't recognize the "the" there at "end of the world." I thought she was still going "of" until I read the lyrics. Nakajima does this sometimes too, but not often.
LoveMeKags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 10:23   Link #2644
Lancel

I like knowing the meaning behind songs, but I don't always get that. I still don't know what Izolado's lyrics are, but I love it all the same. Music good, singing good, don't quite matter what the lyrics say. It's one of the qualities that really makes me love May'n as a singer, she conveys the feeling of the song through her voice alone. Diamond Crevasse is a sad song, Gira Gira Summer was a happy song, Pink Monsoon was a just plain sexy song, and so on. It's always a pleasure to hear her sing the song even if I can't understand a word she says.

Megumi has improved vastly in singing capability since the series. Ranka songs from the series I always felt were a bit flat, good, but Sheryl songs just seemed a step up in a lot of ways, and the duets? I mean people go back and forth on this, but I always felt the duets typically went Ranka trying to sing harder to match Sheryl and Sheryl trying not to steal the show. I just got the feeling the duets had Sheryl/May'n holding back some compared to how she sings by herself. Now though I think Megumi has improved vastly and after doing a few live performances together I think they've gotten comfortable singing together and probably have more fun with it too.

On the side this thing with Alto's dreams, the trouble lies in them being only song lyrics, no more than spoken words. An equal conclusion from the lyrics could say that Ranka wants to let Alto know these things but can't express it except through song, while Sheryl is comfortable with her expressed feelings without a song. Or equally Ranka has a greater interest in Alto than even Sheryl does and Sheryl is just "Pfft, Alto. He isn't the only thing in my life".

So, EOT song reviews.

I personally love all of Sheryl's new songs. Uhh. Both of them yeah. Diamond Crevasse is always enjoyable to hear, and Elixir of Life (Yeah, I'm lame, I translate most of the song titles to English) I actually loved at first listen. It's just a fun rock-out song with a bit of a darker (probably sorrowful) edge to it, yet with determination.

Kuma Kuma is a song I should not like but do on account of that soaring melody. The first 30 seconds or whatever are gratingly cutesy, but it recovers quickly.

Full version of Love Is A Dogfight is at its core an old-school song from an arcade shooter set to lyrics, and I love that. Seriously we need a Macross Frontier side-scrolling shooter JUST to set a mission to that song. I can see it now, Sheryl gets her pilot wings and a VF-25 when the Vajra suddenly kidnap the Princess (You know who I'm talking about), forcing Sheryl off on a mission to rescue Hime. The power-ups would be FAST packs, and then she'd get to the boss and it's (plot twist) RANKA in a super Vajra bug thing, then this song comes on. And somehow behind it all this is all actually an evil plot by Grace and Galaxy. It would be awesome and hilarious.

Northern Cross bit was awesome, as was the swelling orchestra at the end of it. Hoshikira I do like as well for a Ranka song, but Afterschool Overflow is just too awesome to be missed and is probably my overall favorite Ranka song.

As for Yoko's orchestral bits I have to say it's nice to have the Isle of Mayan bit, but I have to give special consideration to Wilder's song for the epic yet slightly desperate edge to it, it just has the right amount of Final Battle prelude vibe to it. F refrain I'd be remiss to neglect, quite fond of the Diamond Crevasse bit in the middle of it. It also explains the next song, the last song, and why it's Diamond Crevasse (and why it's also awesome).

But finally I come to this. When I first heard this song, I was kind of distracted so it really didn't sink in until the second listening when I felt a strange fuzzy feeling. Then I played it again, and again, and again, and I realized that fuzzy feeling was Love. This song is, of course, The Wings Of Goodbye, and it comes in as my absolute favorite from the entire album, no contest. My analysis to follow:

Spoiler for The Wings Of Goodbye lyrical analysis, spoilered because honestly if you're avoiding spoilers to the movie I just think you'd rather not read this:

I can provide the translated lyrics I read if anyone is interested. I really do love this song.
Lancel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 12:19   Link #2645
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancel View Post

Kuma Kuma is a song I should not like but do on account of that soaring melody. The first 30 seconds or whatever are gratingly cutesy, but it recovers quickly.
Did it give you Care Bear vibes in your head like I did? (To note, I probably would not have that image if it weren't for the title. Bear, Fuzz and all that. )

Quote:
F refrain I'd be remiss to neglect, quite fond of the Diamond Crevasse bit in the middle of it. It also explains the next song, the last song, and why it's Diamond Crevasse (and why it's also awesome).
Comrade!! 8DD

Quote:
My analysis to follow:

Spoiler for The Wings Of Goodbye lyrical analysis, spoilered because honestly if you're avoiding spoilers to the movie I just think you'd rather not read this:

I can provide the translated lyrics I read if anyone is interested. I really do love this song.
Veeeery interesting analysis, and please do share!
Old 2011-03-20, 12:45   Link #2646
Ceci-chan
(・∀ノゝ)~キラ☆

Quote:
Aw geez, I was already on the verge of tears listening to Sayonara no Tsubasa. It's an interesting analysis.

Quote:
Please, share!

|facebook.twitter|
Ceci-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 13:07   Link #2647
Lancel

Quote:
Did it give you Care Bear vibes in your head like I did? (To note, I probably would not have that image if it weren't for the title. Bear, Fuzz and all that. )
It did actually. I was thinking the exact same thing.

Spoiler for The Wings of Goodbye lyrics (in english):
Lancel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 04:04   Link #2648
Thess

I don't know where else I can post these bizarre videos.

Since it's concert-like, this seems proper-ish?

Is Sankyo Sheryl-biased? Her ad had a crowd of wild people cheering for her, while Ranka's had only... six people around, watching with mild interest.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 09:41   Link #2649
Ceci-chan
(・∀ノゝ)~キラ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
I don't know where else I can post these bizarre videos.

Since it's concert-like, this seems proper-ish?

Is Sankyo Sheryl-biased? Her ad had a crowd of wild people cheering for her, while Ranka's had only... six people around, watching with mild interest.
I noticed that, too. Perhaps her holographic backdrop was too much.

|facebook.twitter|
Old 2011-03-22, 12:57   Link #2650
darkplataform

Old 2011-03-22, 16:49   Link #2651
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkplataform View Post

Alto is a pretty princess.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-22, 17:00   Link #2652
magnuskn

Very much an ojou-sama.
Old 2011-03-23, 23:49   Link #2653
Ceci-chan
(・∀ノゝ)~キラ☆

My physical copy of the Netabare album came in today. It's so pretty~ I think the matte booklet paper won me over. I like the artwork in the booklet, too, from the movie and the illustration on the final page~ <3

|facebook.twitter|
Old 2011-03-25, 10:19   Link #2654
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Video where the screencaps originated (posted above). It's a Nico link. No YouTube yet.
Old 2011-03-25, 10:32   Link #2655
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
Video where the screencaps originated (posted above). It's a Nico link. No YouTube yet.
Michael and Klan Klan can play guitar?
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-25, 10:59   Link #2656
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:
That's how I feel whenever I see his name on the commentary tracks! (Though to be fair, the seiyuu do mumble themselves...once in a while...)
Glad to see we are on the same wavelength about the cuteness and frustration-inducion of mumbling! And quite honestly, I still can understand seiyuus even if they are mumbling.. Perhaps because the profesional voice is clearer even in their non-work voice. Or I'm simply biased to seiyuus' voice work XD;
Quote:
Thanks! Nah, it's not the netabare booklet. Seems like a magazine scan... (...small though...ugh...I've leave the squinting for after my assignments...)
Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying it! Now what might this scan be from, ho hum... And good luck with reading it, especially Kanno's interview. She is using some musical terms in the middle of it!
Quote:
Who doesn't love Sheryl's sexy voice ^^ *hearts Endo Aya* Though I'll admit that Yuukyan's the one that I love listening to most
Ahaha, I don't really like Yuukyan, honestly /;x;\ I guess I just don't really like a certain base in his voice, much like how I can't bring myself to fangirl Ono in some of his roles ;A; Or I'm just traumatic at hearing some of his Character CDs

... But pssst, hear this, he did voice a crossdresser role once, though not in anime industry Its hyperness is magnificent <3

EDITS: Oh My God. raile, you just make my brain goes awry, and my eyes popped open of pretty, pretty hair Alto has. Yes, Mikhail and Klan is awesome, but PRETTY GOTHIC LOLITA WITH PURPLE LIPSTICK. And it's 3 AM now. I'm so gonna curse you for not making me be able to sleep :EEEE

/Rewatch clip/

Natsuki Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-25, 18:36   Link #2657
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

LOL...sorry, I know this is getting ridiculous...but should we have taken half of that to the Frontier seiyuu thread...?

argh...I'll start deciphering it during the mid-sem breaK

Quote:
EDITS: Oh My God. raile, you just make my brain goes awry, and my eyes popped open of pretty, pretty hair Alto has. Yes, Mikhail and Klan is awesome, but PRETTY GOTHIC LOLITA WITH PURPLE LIPSTICK. And it's 3 AM now. I'm so gonna curse you for not making me be able to sleep :EEEE

/Rewatch clip/
Hehe...I'll admit that my face met my palm at that scene, because it was just so weird, but man, I can't wait to watch it in its entirely again!

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-03-25 at 20:06.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-26, 02:23   Link #2658
Ceci-chan
(・∀ノゝ)~キラ☆

Quote:
those concert sequences..!! <3 Waiting for this movie is going to be even harder than the first time.

|facebook.twitter|
Old 2011-03-27, 22:47   Link #2659
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Quote:
I swear to god
I never thought this before

ever
EVER
but...

OMFG MIKHAIL AS BASARA IS SO HOT I WANT TO DIE.
WHY CAN'T HE HAVE SPIKED HAIR ALL THE TIME
WHY!?!?!??!
ippus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-27, 23:09   Link #2660
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

YouTube link to the PV: HERE!

Tags
music