AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-07-27, 11:59   Link #21
Kyu410

Send a message via Yahoo to Kyu410
I hope they keep the 1-4 player mode and add a versus. They would make tons of money money doing that.

I always wondered what a Lloyd vs. Zelos or Regal vs. Presea would be like.
Kyu410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-27, 12:00   Link #22
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Hmm, first of all, that would be mean the characters are going to make a return appearace AND they must be playable, which is unlikely

Although a VS mode would certainly be cool =3
Old 2007-07-27, 12:38   Link #23
MidnighT-WolF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Don't want to disappoint you, but there seems to be some confusion
regarding this game.
This is not a sequel, it is a spin off the original.

Differents are, the world map, it will be like ToW,
and the fact that you can capture monsters and use them in your party.
But since it is still in development, i hope they change their mind
regarding some stuff, like bring back toon-shading, the world map
and ditch the idea of capturing monsters.
However it would be nice to have the network feature from Radiant Mythology,
special items and such.
I'd like to know your source for that, cause all I read 'til now is that it's a sequel taking place 2 years after Symphonia, on IGN.
MidnighT-WolF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-27, 15:00   Link #24
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
TOS has multiple scenarios, and they could probably make something up that happens "100 years later" for TOA... or something like that.
ToS was a very early prequel to Tales of Phantasia to begin with.
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-27, 15:10   Link #25
Sides

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnighT-WolF View Post
I'd like to know your source for that, cause all I read 'til now is that it's a sequel taking place 2 years after Symphonia, on IGN.
That was iirc, from an interview with the producer of the game, published in famitsu. You can find a translation of the interview on 1up.com
Makoto Yoshidumi interview, famitsu, translated by 1up.com

It was also shown during the namco presentation that it isn't a direct sequel to the ToS, no idea why people insists that it is. Furthermore the title isn't final, it is just a working title.

Trouble i see is with this title, is the same with the first Tales game for the DS, namco probably just want to try out if people will accept/use the wii for such kind of games. Even though TotT was pretty much crucified by everyone (except for some people, including me), it did manage to shift a decent number of units. And if the same happens with this title, then expect to see more tales games arriving on the Wii.

Last edited by Sides; 2007-07-30 at 06:01.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-29, 05:15   Link #26
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Abuse of the return key or a line for every sentence is unneeded unless you're a poet, it makes your posts resemble an underaged poster.

Anyway Sword of Ratatosk is a direct sequel to ToS because it takes place approximately 2 years after the events of the first game and within the same world. Besides Namco already confirmed in their conference that all the ToS cast would return in this game in some form.

Its only a spinoff in the sense that the next official Tales game is Tales of Innocence for the DS given their announcement of shifting all development resources onto the DS. Tales of Tempest was probably crucified because it SUCKED, nobody cares how much it sold because the gameplay was slow and broken despite the constant delays they made to try fix it.
Old 2007-07-29, 14:55   Link #27
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety View Post
Tales of Tempest was probably crucified because it SUCKED, nobody cares how much it sold because the gameplay was slow and broken despite the constant delays they made to try fix it.
I think you missed my point.TotT was ousourced, probably a small budget title, plus it had only average reviews.Nevertheless it managed to sell over 100.000 copies.
Since ToI is now announced for the DS, the sales of TotT must have been a factor for the decision to bring out another Tales title on the DS.

Now i hope that namco aren't doing the same with Knight of Ratatosk, using it as an experimental project to the evaluate the Wii as a potential plattform, and deliver an unpolish title.

Regarding Sequel or Spin-off
Well i guess you can look at it as a sequel, like the romero's living dead pictures. But to me this title is pretty much like FFVII DoC, a spin-off, bearing in mind the interview with producer.

Last edited by Sides; 2007-07-30 at 05:58. Reason: fix formatting for Benoit and the other guy/girl or whatever ^^
Old 2007-07-29, 17:22   Link #28
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
ToS was a very early prequel to Tales of Phantasia to begin with.
How early? Sure, Namco may have its preferred route or interpretation of events. But my point is, in order to account for all those variables, it's easier to make a sequel when it's made to take place very far from the original's timeline.

But anyway, this game seems to be more of a spin-off from the sound of it. Not too sure of what to make of it really. It doesn't seem to be the next, big Tales game.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-29, 22:04   Link #29
Saru14
Soul Reaper-in-training

I cant wait for this game
Saru14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-30, 02:41   Link #30
MidnighT-WolF

Quote:
How early? Sure, Namco may have its preferred route or interpretation of events. But my point is, in order to account for all those variables, it's easier to make a sequel when it's made to take place very far from the original's timeline.

But anyway, this game seems to be more of a spin-off from the sound of it. Not too sure of what to make of it really. It doesn't seem to be the next, big Tales game.
Phantasia is set about 4000 years after Symphonia.
MidnighT-WolF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-30, 04:39   Link #31
Sides

Official homepage has been updated
-Story
-Character details
plus some in screen shots

Tales of Symphonia_Wii
Old 2007-07-30, 05:07   Link #32
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Abuse of the return key or a line for every sentence is unneeded unless you're a poet, it makes your posts resemble an underaged poster.
Please listen to him/her/it, Sides. Lines wrap automatically.
Old 2007-07-30, 05:54   Link #33
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Please listen to him/her/it, Sides. Lines wrap automatically.
Oh, that was a message for me. Come on at least he/she/it could pm me directly.
Old 2007-07-31, 17:11   Link #34
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
Its a loose connection of 4000 thousand years.

Few hints being...

-The Elemental spirits in Symphonia all appear in Phantasia
-Flamberge and Vorpal Sword the Material Blades are also in Phantasia as a major plot item along with the Ring of Pact to boot.
-Eternal Sword was Cless Alvein's final weapon and in Lloyd's ultimate Hi-Ougi hes able to briefly summon it
-Lloyd in one skit mentions he feels the Eternal Sword's ability to control time somewhat. Cless used this ability in Phantasia to stop the final boss from time hopping.
-In the Tales of World series they say Suzu from the Ninja village in Phantasia is a direct descendant of Sheena. This is further enforced by them coming from the same village and sharing the same surname.
-In Symphonia theres a section of the mines completely sealed off you never get to see. In Phantasia a mine almost the same very late in the game could be opened up revealing the most powerful Spirit in the game.
-The World Tree in Phantasia is also called Yggdrasil and also exists besides a small village similar to Lloyd's.
-Martel is in ToP too and dying.
-Dhaos is from Derris Kharlan himself which left at the end of Symphonia.
Old 2007-08-01, 00:25   Link #35
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Its a loose connection of 4000 thousand years.
Well, this is exactly my point from the very beginning. It's easier making a sequel in this way. There's no need to address miscellaneous specifics, precisely because the gap is more than a thousand years.

Anyway, I haven't even finished ToS (I don't like it that much actually), so I really wouldn't know what to think of this new title in terms of story. Not to mention, it hasn't been released yet.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-01, 10:20   Link #36
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
The World Tree in Phantasia is also called Yggdrasil
We never actually get to know the tree's name in Symphonia.
Old 2007-08-01, 10:34   Link #37
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
According to an article I read somewhere some time ago ( i think Wikipedia), it is highly likely that Lloyd named the tree Yggdrasil
Old 2007-08-01, 12:04   Link #38
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
Technically that is true, but all things considered it was the likely outcome. Guess Knight of Ratatosk will seal that in stone.
Old 2007-08-02, 06:24   Link #39
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

It is indeed very likely (heck, it's probably true) that Lloyd named the tree Yggdrasil, but as it is never mentioned in Symphonia, you can't use that point to connect the two games.
Old 2007-09-16, 00:13   Link #40
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
This eventually being in English with no Japanese audio option is ultimately going to be a huge slap in the face too me. I'm sure people could figure out why if they look into things a little, but if a certain somebody releases a certain something I might do a certain something with my Wii.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote