AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-02-29, 17:57   Link #21
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I once thought over what an anime/Japanese-focused retelling of the Superman story would be like.

The closest Japanese equivalent that I could think of for the Kents would be humble, simple, very family-oriented ricefarmers living near Osaka.

"Kal-El" would be found by the two of them, and raised as their own son as they didn't want the government to mistreat the young human-like boy. He also would prove very useful as a helping hand on the farm. At a visual level, at least, he'd be a cross between Bleach's Ishida and Aizen. His personality would be fairly similar to Aizen's initial personality way back during the start of the Soul Society arc in Bleach.

Due to "Kal-El's" brilliance, and his adoptive parents wanting the best for him, he'd end up having to leave his home and move to an apartment in Tokyo for his second year in high school. He would transfer to an extremely prestigious and ritzy school for the nation's most elite students. His relatively humble and "aw shucks!" nature would stand out a lot there, gathering him attention along with him soon becoming his class' top student.

His classmates would include a Lois Lane type (that I would base heavily on Haruhi Suzumiya, both visually and personality-wise), and a Lex Luthor type. There'd also be a Chloe/Yuki Nagato fusion of sorts, and maybe a Lana Lang/Mikuru fusion, lol. To keep things simple going forward, let's just use the following names as stand-ins:

Ishida = Kal-El/Superman
Haruhi = Lois Lane
Yagami = Lex Luthor
Nagato = Chloe

The young Yagami would have a slight crush on "Haruhi", having battled her for top marks in class and hence respecting her. Yagami would not take kindly to Ishida stealing some of his thunder and gaining so much attention. Also, as a shout out to canon Superman history, I'd have Yagami end up losing all of his hair in a science experiment gone wrong that him and Ishida worked on together, forever ending Ishida's attempts to make friends with Yagami.

Yagami's dad would be the Owner and CEO of the world's foremost leader in computer electronics and weapons manufacturing (think of Apple, Microsoft and Lockheed Martin all rolled into one). But Yagami's dad would also be working covertly with the Yakuza, causing all sorts of problems in Tokyo.

Ishida would eventually decide to use his gradually growing superpowers to fight crime in the city, and with the help of Haruhi and Nagato he would eventually discover that the person arming the Yakuza with high-end weaponry is Yagami's dad. That would lead into the "final arc" of my imagined Season 1.

In my imagination, I can conceive of three seasons (six cours) worth of "Red Sun" (my tentative title for my Japanese Superman idea, as well as what the Japanese Superman would be called). By the final season, Yagami is in control of his father's empire as his father would end up going to jail. Yagami would be out for revenge on the man that constantly one-upped him in school, cost him his hair, and helped send his father to jail.

Yagami would slowly piece together a more anime/Japanese-esque version of the Injustice Gang. This would happen around when a Queen Beryl/Sailor Galaxia type approaches him with her plans to invade and conquer Earth, wanting him to turn traitor on Earth and join her in order to make the invasion go more smoothly (which Yagami would later agree to do under certain conditions). There'd also be a Joker stand-in, although I haven't given him much thought yet.

On the hero side, Red Sun would attract the attention of a group of magical girls that were inspired by his heroism. These five girls would be based fairly extensively on the main cast of Madoka Magica, and would make up 5/7s of my imagined stand-in for the Justice Lague. I also thought of a Batman stand-in that I'd call "Blue Moon" (goes well with "Red Sun" I think, lol) that would be a great combat tactician and with a score to settle with the Yagami family as the Yagami family had his parents killed in a Yakuza operation when he was a kid. I'd probably create a Japanese version of Gotham City to make this all work.

Big final battle of Season 3 would shake down as...

Yagami (Japanese Lex Luthor, in power suit armor), "Joker", Queen Beryl/Sailor Galaxia/Circe fusion, four other Injustice Gang stand-ins

vs.

Red Sun (Superman), Blue Moon (Batman), and loose fusions of the five Madoka Magica girls with other Justice League members.

I think it could be pretty cool.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on here, but I just thought I'd share my concept here.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-02-29 at 18:18.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-01, 16:33   Link #22
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Anything regarding "story". That can be handled later, although, it does play a significant role in how a character would look like -- maybe.
Maybe? Try definitely.

Why are you creating a character unless you have a story you want to tell with them? The story plays a significant role, not just in how they look, but also concerning their personality. And speaking of stories, I'm guess I have to ask: Why specify that this is an anime character? Should a character be designed differently if they're intended to star in an anime, instead of, say, a fantasy novel? Why limit yourself?

And with all that asked, I'm afraid I have to pass on this challenge. Why? Because no character is an island. I've written a 200,000 word science fiction novel already, and it has maybe two dozen characters. They're all special for their own reasons, and they're all important to the story because of how they interact with each other. What's the point of making just one character? What are you going to accomplish with that? How can you even do it?
Old 2012-03-01, 18:09   Link #23
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
Maybe? Try definitely.

Why are you creating a character unless you have a story you want to tell with them? The story plays a significant role, not just in how they look, but also concerning their personality.
I strongly agree with you here. The setting and narrative context surrounding a character should play a significant role in that character's appearance and personality. You're right in that just as no man is an island, no character is an island either.

I've never really seen a point to creating an OC unless you have a story you want to tell with that character, or unless that OC can play a key role in a narrative you already have mapped out.

Quote:
And speaking of stories, I'm guess I have to ask: Why specify that this is an anime character?
Some characters are distinctively anime.

Look at the character in your sig for example. Japanese teenage girl, wears a student uniform, is an action heroine, and has very colorful eyes, hair, and hair accessories.

This adds up to a distinctively anime character, imo. If I saw this character in any medium, it would now make me think "anime", just like how a muscular guy in a colorful spandex costume with a cape flapping behind him would instantly make me think "superhero comics".

Now, an anime character doesn't have to be distinctively anime, but I think this is the sort of thing the OP might have been thinking of when he asked "How would YOU design an anime character?"
Old 2012-03-02, 00:53   Link #24
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
What's the point of making just one character? What are you going to accomplish with that? How can you even do it?
See this fox character in my avatar? It's a shoddy example of one; but it could be something a pure amateur could come up with. And well, it was created with no story at all. Point is: not all characters have to have a story in order to be created. Sometimes, the story component can be conjured up afterwards.

All it takes: randomly draw a character, then suddenly decide: "Hey, the character could be best as a pirate" (or something like that). This kind of experimentation has no limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Now, an anime character doesn't have to be distinctively anime, but I think this is the sort of thing the OP might have been thinking of when he asked "How would YOU design an anime character?"
Well, to be slightly more clear. This is your average thought experiment. I have absolutely no drawing skills; but that still does not disallow me to think about it. At the same time, many have watched anime. Then, they proceeded to write fanfics. Writing a story, that's not a talent of mine either.

Looking at my own anime list, I've numbered about 300+ anime series, movies, OVAs, etc. At this point, it feels as if I've seen every type of character. Of course, some of y'all have watched more (or less).

If there's really one point that I've looking for - the steps one would take to simply make a character from a creative visual standpoint. The more abstract, the better. Naturally, someone with the skill to draw can best describe this process. I can make the assumption: someone can just randomly sketch one out. Yet, I took my shot here hoping to find such an answer and see other such opinions. Even so, we got a nice load of ideas on this thread too.

Oh, and if I were to create MY own anime character -- he/she would be very ridiculously cliche.c

Last edited by Kyuu; 2012-03-02 at 01:12.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 01:12   Link #25
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Point is: not all characters have to have a story in order to be created. Sometimes, the story component can be conjured up afterwards.
Yes, that is true..same as my avatar... I made these two character since I was in 1st yr highschool... all my intentions was to draw a girl at first ...the story came afterward when I introduce a male character some weeks later...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 01:25   Link #26
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Yes, that is true..same as my avatar... I made these two character since I was in 1st yr highschool... all my intentions was to draw a girl at first ...the story came afterward when I introduce a male character some weeks later...
OMG! And this must be how traps came to be!!!!

===

Essentially, how to go from a blank sheet of white paper... to this:

Spoiler:
Old 2012-03-02, 01:33   Link #27
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
I don't know what you meant by this.

Quote:

Spoiler:
Well, if you have owesome devices (unlike me) you could do anything.

Hey, you could check out my sketch but they're not good really.. I did them when I was starting to enroll in a nursing school
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...t=genji+sketch
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 01:34   Link #28
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:

===

Spoiler:
Meh. I still don't subscribe to her case being D.I.D.... (wonders how many people will get the reference)
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 03:29   Link #29
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I once thought over what an anime/Japanese-focused retelling of the Superman story would be like.

The closest Japanese equivalent that I could think of for the Kents would be humble, simple, very family-oriented ricefarmers living near Osaka.
Excuse me, WHAT? The hell???

What in the world is your image of Osaka exactly?

Osaka city is the third largest metropolitan city in Japan, and the prefecture itself is a long-standing rival to Tokyo in being a prominently industrial prefecture.
I have lived 18 years in Osaka and have NEVER seen a rice field.
And I lived there in the 70s and 80s. Even back then agriculture was neigh-nonexistant. It's even less now.

Your image of Osaka may be "country" simply because of accents, but it's not a country-side area. At all.
It is more comparable with Chicago as a "heavily accented metro city".
Everyone born and raised anywhere in Osaka, even the outskirts of the prefecture, are considered city slickers with no experience of country living. In fact, Osaka is usually considered second only to Tokyo in that aspect.
In every single "country-side ranking" (go look them up. 田舎ランキング) Osaka ranks second from the bottom, with Tokyo as the dead last.

You want a simple minded country area in Japan like Kents in Kansas, you should be thinking of Fukushima, Aomori, etc.

Last edited by aohige; 2012-03-02 at 03:47.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 05:10   Link #30
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

He's in his 30s, let's say 35. Relatively fit as one would envision someone who did cardio three days a week and light weights/heavy calisthenics two days a week.

He'd be single, having flirted with a few serious relationships over the years, but coming to the realization that he valued his independence far too much to ever actually settle down and tie the knot. That said...

...he wouldn't be a player of any kind, going through one night stand after one night stand. He prefers a real relationship, and enjoys them while they last, while being upfront concerning his wishes to never actually settle down.

He enjoys football (American), sneers at baseball, and would think golf being called a sport to be one of the greatest calamities of modern times.

He likes his pale ale, but can drain vodka shots with the best of them, when the mood strikes. Despite this, he rarely frequents bars/pubs of any kind.

He finds children, in general, annoying, but adores his niece (though would never use the word 'adore'). She's 10, and her parents are both professors at Berkeley, resulting in her being a fairly mature 10-year old, intellectually. His sister is the mother, and they get along moderately well. He thinks she could have done far better than her husband, whom he thinks is a pretentious twit.

He owns a Sig P266, and visits the firing range at least once a month, partly to relieve stress. He sometimes takes his niece. It's their little secret.

He thinks the country (USA) is falling apart, but doesn't waste his time worrying or talking about it, while his retired father does nothing but watch youtube/flash videos about it.

His mother is in a coma at the St. Rose Hospital in Hayword, and has been for 14 months, after a home invasion gone awry.

He served a 10 year stint as infantry in the U.S. Army, straight out of highschool, and believes everyone should serve in some capacity, whether it's through the military or civilian government service agency.

He has a B.S. in aerospace engineering, from the Georgia Institute of Technology, and interned with the Boeing engineering department at Kennedy Space Center, but became disillusioned with pursuing a career in spaceship design when NASA's manned spaceflight program was scuttled.

He's relatively non-political, though if he was hard pressed, he'd describe himself as a secular conservative.

He drives a 1998 Ford Explorer, and ditched his longstanding '98 Yamaha R1 for a 2010 BMW S1000RR and hasn't looked back.

He pays a local 12 year old kid who hangs out in the bookshop reading old Heinlen, $20 to clean his Explorer. The kid's father was sentenced to death for four counts of gang-related murder, and is currently incarcerated at San Quentin. The mother works two jobs and is on welfare.

He owns a used bookstore on Mountain View, CA's Castro Street strip, that specializes in out-of-print sci-fi/fantasy/horror/mystery classics, and lives on the second floor above it. The building was a gift from his now deceased grandmother.

His niece has practically grown up in it, as her parents have used him as a sort of day care.

He's currently in a relationship with a lawyer in San Francisco's Public Defender office. She asked him out after having visited his bookshop, looking for an original dust-cover edition of Todd Robbin's 'Silent White and Beautiful' for her father's birthday.

He makes a living killing people, usually 4-6 times a year.

The anime would be a slice of life, covering five years of his life in his mid 30s, as he juggles the demands of operating his book store in the heart of Silicon Valley, tracking down rare copies for his customers, being a surrogate father for his niece-as well as the local boy who washes his Explorer, keeping the romance alive in his current relationship that's been going on for 10 months when his average relationship rarely lasts a year, and killing various individuals for money. Some of the killings will take him around the world, from Tokyo to Paris to Moscow. Near the end of the five years, China will stun the world by landing a six-person crew on the Moon to serve as a nucleus for the Moon's first manned structure.

It would be 50 episodes. Yasuhiro Yoshiura, Kenji Kamiyama, and Shoji Kawamori would collaborate on it.

And, if it wasn't obvious, I think 'story' tidbits to be far more important to designing a character than listing some physical attributes. I feel like physical attributes will come naturally with creating the background story/info for your character.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2012-03-02 at 05:40.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 21:01   Link #31
Mistivous
Cap'n of the Mist

What does the character look like?

Bright Red Dyed Shoulder Length Hair,About a b-c cup, around 17, Glasses, weighs about 140

Gender?

Female

Height?

5'6"

Other basic traits.

Very Creative (but shy to show it), quiet, easy to make blush, has a habit of messing with glasses during aqward moments

What she would be doing?

Writing, painting, or playing an Instrument (preferably singing)

Job/Occupation?

Student, loving me
Old 2012-03-11, 22:51   Link #32
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
sneers at basebal
I automatically hate your character .
Old 2012-03-12, 07:25   Link #33
HasuMasu
*Artist

Well I have some left over characters from the fan-fiction I do, but an 'originally original original' character?

Oh, I don't think I have made something like that yet.

Spoiler for h:
Old 2012-03-21, 18:35   Link #34
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

I'm tired of usual Japanese ones and some Euro-Americans and my character will be Indonesian!

Name: Qistina(I doubt Japanese people can pronounce her name right)
Sex: female
Height: 160-165 cm
Hair: shoulder-length, hot pink color
Eyes: light turquoise

Qistina always dreamed to be a pop idol since she was a child and she loves to dance, sing and karaoke. However her life changed when a Japanese man who impressed with her singing and dancing skills and hope to be her manager.

I can add more of her history but I just lack of idea. Just imagine it going to be a pop-idol slice-of-life show.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-23, 01:38   Link #35
Eincorgie

I'd make a character aesthetically simple like Spike Spiegel from COWBOY BEBOP but still have the personality give him definition. That would determine what he would wear and his preferences. Something prominently black with sparks of color to his costume. depending on the mission, a handgun to a strap over the shoulder mini turret with extra ammo. Or keep the attire simple like Black from Tekkonkinkreet. I recently lloked up the studio that produced that movie and found a new project of theirs. It's called "PES peace.eco.smile" the trailer is only in Japanese but the imagery speaks for itself.

http://youtu.be/NlTHPfhmn9g
Eincorgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 23:08   Link #36
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

I've had this idea for a long time concerning two anime characters I created in my mind that I really like. One came from a School Days fanfiction, where the character looks like Makoto Itou, but he's five feet tall, has yellow eyes, gray hair, usually wears black, sports a pimping black fedora (probably a Bailey) and sunglasses, and usually frowns. And he can change genders, but that's a different story.

The other is a long brown-haired, Russian girl who's slightly taller, wears bandages over face, dresses more normally, wears a brown fedora and black sunglasses, and usually smiles.

Both of them share a love for nostalgic music and have a deep, but weird friendship.

The two are heavily inspired by the Blues Brothers, and Daria and Jane from...well...Daria.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 13:50   Link #37
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

slightly off topic but related question.

what kind of villain can you make using the DON'T form Eviloverlord.com? And what kind of story would result?
Old 2012-03-27, 14:02   Link #38
Kyuu
=^^=

Say, lemme know if anyone here has the skill to draw like this guy:

Spoiler:

This video is essentially a collection of drawings done by one person. As a sample of how, here's how:

Spoiler:
Old 2012-03-27, 14:26   Link #39
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmm, I have this running notion that is a blender of Rock Band and anime where an all girl hard rock band loses a member (too drunk, undependable, whatever). Via "plot device" (member caught in the rain in concert garb rescued by guy with big umbrella), it turns out he can take the spot as he's a former member of another band himself. The dilemma of course, is that it was an all-girl group formerly.

Characters:
The group "It Really IS Rocket Science" consists of 4 regular members and one more when she's not smashed out of her mind or being kicked out of the group.
>>Tsika -- twin-tailed petite frilly goth (the one caught in the rain and whom the protagonist is attracted to), color theme black/red, she plays bass (the dark side) <5ft high, extremely pale, red eyes, black hair, subtle tsundere
>>Kpau -- "Socal" "barbie beach gal" platinum blond dark tan, (color theme: white/pink) average height, manically enthusiastic, plays drums, tomboyish.
>>Glycerin -- very tall, gangly, introvert with short punkish black hair (something like AzuDa Sasuki but thinner with punked hair). She wears a lot of stage makeup and has a number of tattoos (color theme purple) but tends to be very quiet -- plays the guitar like she was fire though. Goofy smile, big doe eyes.
>> Umlaut -- The protagonist was previously with a metal band and has a sort of motorcycle viking appearance. Tall, the same height as Glyc. His first encounter with the band was via the bass player (his thoughts: "omg, look at that gorgeous pixie... its raining, I have an umbrella, she doesn't, goal?"). He meshes well with the group musically but its unclear if the group's fans will accept him.
>> Sashiko -- the undependable partial band member.

Summary: the group fires Sashiko after one too many missed performances. Tsika encounters Umlaut who ends up in the band. The band's prior soft pop sound grows into much wider and edgier directions with Umlaut on board.

Of course, the drunk undependable is still around and sometimes still plays a session --- a frequently drunk out-of-her-mind flaming red-head whose theme color is green garb irish style. She'd just as soon start a bar fight as play music.

And now I've basically described my Rock Band virtual group but with a bit of backstory, whee.

edit: visit their website at Vexx's photo album -> http://forums.animesuki.com/album.php?albumid=3671

---------------------------------------------------
edit 2012-09-03: I've started a thread in Fan Creations to take a stab at writing a light novel. We'll see how it goes
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...17#post4334717

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-11-06 at 02:06.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 01:08   Link #40
HasuMasu
*Artist

^ Someone needs to fund this, NOW.