Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-11, 03:19   Link #41
Gravi-T
Rockin' Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melazoma
Oh $300 USD for 13 Anime DVDs are cheap--when compared to the Japanese R-2 releases. Each R-2 FullMetal Alchemist DVD release cost around 6000 Yen (Tax Included), that is about $60. Multiply $60 by 14 because the first volume has only two Episodes and if Squeenix has any conscience, all the rest of the DVDs will have 4 Episodes except one(the last volume perhaps?). 60 X 14 = 840 (USD)

I'm counting my blessings and buying from cheap online retailers that AnimeSuki recommends
Uhh...? Is that true?!! $60?!! That's totally not worth to buy! If that would be the case, I'd rather spend my money on a DVD burner and burn them episodes myself! Which is illegal, but I don't think the price will go up that high.
Come on! Square Enix is the next evil corporation after Microsoft? :O
Old 2004-05-11, 03:24   Link #42
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Knight
Good lord thats expensive. If that were to happen in US shores, we could kiss anime good bye.
Indeed, we are spoiled on the R-1 prices. In addition, most 24/26 Episodes Animated Series release in R-2 contain only 2 Episodes per disc + extra goodies that may or may not cost extra, while retaining the price point of 4000-6000 Yen, resulting in 12-13 DVDs per 24/26 Episode Series. FMA DVD Series is a good/worthwhile R-2 release if you think about the rest of the market.
Old 2004-05-11, 03:25   Link #43
Crimson
Ecchi Nazi

Send a message via AIM to Crimson
Funi better put at least 4 eps per disk. I don't want to collect the series on like 20 DVD's... I sure hope they don't do something stupid with this release, its one of my favourite anime so i hope they do a really good job on it...

But i don't think i'll be able to bare watching it on CN, just imagining the dub voices is giving me migranes >_<
Old 2004-05-11, 03:27   Link #44
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravi-T
Actually, Shingetsutan Tsukihime is already licensed. Or I think it is.
http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/239.html
All the torrents are down for that show anyway. And when I checked ANBU:s page, it said "Licensed", but AnimeSuki hasn't said anything. D'oh!
Supposedly, so are hikaru no go and scrapped princess, but nothing's been officially announced. That's why I said I'll sit back and wait for announcements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravi-T
Yes, I'll buy the DVD's, but at what cost? ~13 discs? ~52 episodes? ~4 episodes per DVD? How much would that cost? Here in Sweden a regular anime DVD (4 eps) costs 179 kronor ($23.17) which, times 13, would result in 2327 kronor ($301.18)! That's an approximated price, but is that cheap or expensive? I think it's pretty cheap. But I doubt that the prices will be that low, I guess. FMA is a very popular series.

[fanboyistic cry]
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! FMA IS LICENSED!! How the heck am I supposed to watch the show now?! And I don't live in either Japan or USA! NO!! *dies*
[/fanboyistic cry]

Well, guess I'll just wait for the DVDs to come out! Come out, come out, wherever you are!
that's why I'm going to wait for a box set. It should save about $50, on the series, which will be enough to buy the ps2 game.
Old 2004-05-11, 03:28   Link #45
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidblue
I wish anyone BUT funimation would have got it, but what can we do now(besides storm funimation and hold them hostage till they sell the rights to pioneer or adv or someone else...). Well I am glad i will be able to buy the DVD's now i hope they are well done and timely(I dont want to wait till 2005 ).

<acidblue is crying in the corner>
It could be worse, we could be dealing with 4Kids entertainment who doesn't seem to believe in subs or uncut releases. I hope that the quality of the DVD releases is good and that Funimation will use a decent font, I'm peeved when I watch some of these anime DVDs and the subs are not very pleasent to look at or are difficult to read because of colour or font used.
Old 2004-05-11, 03:29   Link #46
Gold_Rogers
Famous Dead Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melazoma
Oh $300 USD for 13 Anime DVDs are cheap--when compared to the Japanese R-2 releases. Each R-2 FullMetal Alchemist DVD release cost around 6000 Yen (Tax Included), that is about $60. Multiply $60 by 14 because the first volume has only two Episodes and if Squeenix has any conscience, all the rest of the DVDs will have 4 Episodes except one(the last volume perhaps?). 60 X 14 = 840 (USD)

I'm counting my blessings and buying from cheap online retailers that AnimeSuki recommends
Japan's per capita GNP is more than twice that of the United States, so if you take that into consideration the DVD prices in the USA aren't that much cheaper.
Old 2004-05-11, 03:35   Link #47
Crimson
Ecchi Nazi

Since the series is suppose to be airing in October on CN, we'll most likely see the first 1-2 DVD's this year. I think they should make it 12 DVD's. The first 3 DVD's with 5 eps, and the rest with 4 eps. That will be just perfect.
Old 2004-05-11, 03:36   Link #48
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthias
Wait.... I don't live in America! NOOOOOO!!!!!!!! I'll have to wait YEARS! NOOOO!!!!!........... (no way in hell I can afford to import from the US)
Then what CAN you afford?
$30 max (with shipping) every two months, who can't afford such a measly sum? If it's too much, just wait a bit longer.

Personally, I save more than 50% by ordering from the US as opposed to buying them locally in Norway, where anime DVDs most often cost 300 NOK ($43,50 USD). With some sites offering cheap or free shipping, I can save loads of cash importing. But I guess it depends on what country you live in...

Sure, it's region 1, but my DVD player doesn't care, nor does my PC's DVD-drive.
Old 2004-05-11, 03:36   Link #49
Kouji
StrykerX

Quote:
Dragonball Z anyone?
Last time I checked, I said the some of the VAs that do these animes aren't that bad. I technically didn't say the anime itself. But give it time, maybe the actors that do this anime might start to grow on you and as you watch new episodes you might overall like the series.
Old 2004-05-11, 03:42   Link #50
Crimson
Ecchi Nazi

Meh, i could really care less for the dub. As long as its subbed, thats all i care about. I would be nice if the dubbing is good but its not a big deal if it isn't. And this is Funi we are talking about so most likely the dub will suck.

But i have to admit that the dubbing in Blue Gender was freaking exellent, they should get all the dub cast from that series to do FMA.
Old 2004-05-11, 03:55   Link #51
TaMz
ninj4 from the north

Send a message via MSN to TaMz
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
Wow! This is really cool news! Not only is it going to be put on American TV, but Square is also going to make a game out of it. Very cool, even though I'm honestly disappointed that it was licensed while I was watching it.
just as a note, the game was before the anime...
the anime is based on the game...

nothing more...
Old 2004-05-11, 04:14   Link #52
CaSe-
胸のひねること

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeellis01
For subbing fans:

Don't you think that fansubs are much better than official dvd subs?

I agree with you. Whilst lots of other people in the thread are like "Yay! About time they got it licensed, we can now get it on dvd dubbed"

That idea doesnt appeal to me. I prefere fansubbed anime to dvd subs/dubs. I prefere anime in its original form, unedited, untailored for american audiences etc.

Shame
Old 2004-05-11, 04:19   Link #53
darkwave
Manual Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaSe-
I agree with you. Whilst lots of other people in the thread are like "Yay! About time they got it licensed, we can now get it on dvd dubbed"

That idea doesnt appeal to me. I prefere fansubbed anime to dvd subs/dubs. I prefere anime in its original form, unedited, untailored for american audiences etc.

Shame
Dont worry about silly things, other fansub groups are still subbing it. Just dont expect to see it here. FMA licensed!? So what.......? >_<
Old 2004-05-11, 04:22   Link #54
CaSe-
胸のひねること

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwave
Dont worry about silly things, other fansub groups are still subbing it. Just dont expect to see it here. FMA licensed!? So what.......? >_<

Well could you kindly tell me in a pm who are subbing these still and were i can get them from?
Old 2004-05-11, 04:23   Link #55
Kyoji
I WANT MORE MILK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaMz
just as a note, the game was before the anime...
the anime is based on the game...

nothing more...

erm, didnt the game come out last year?
i always thought the anime was based on the manga
Old 2004-05-11, 04:28   Link #56
Crimson
Ecchi Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoji
erm, didnt the game come out last year?
i always thought the anime was based on the manga
Yes you're right, the anime is based on the manga not the game. The story in the game is different. Theres no Winry and most of the other characters aren't there also. Not even the Humonculous i think.
Old 2004-05-11, 04:31   Link #57
jakeellis01
We Live In The Moment!!

Send a message via ICQ to jakeellis01
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwave
nothing is gonna beat Akeep + Anbu
Old 2004-05-11, 04:37   Link #58
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
Funi won't wait that long. It'd be best for them to start getting discs out reasonably soon after the show starts to catch all the new fans who want it on DVD. I'll be expecting the first disc either December, or early 2005.

Yeah and they can release episodes 20-30 first then 31-40 and then 5 months later 1-19 It will be grand
Old 2004-05-11, 04:39   Link #59
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
Honestly, if you don't like it on television then don't watch it. If it bothers you so much to see other people enjoy a series, maybe you should reconsider you motivations behind watching and enjying anime.

Yean and god forbid he have an opinion. I mean if he agreed with you,you and microlith couldn't make lame "fanboy" jokes. And I know that would just ruin your fun.
Old 2004-05-11, 04:41   Link #60
ShotokanAnime
Fan/Retailer

Funi's had the license for a few months now- that's one reason why I DL eps as soon as they appear, because I wasn't sure when Lance was going to make the announcement.

As far as # of eps per DVD, that depends. On their DBZ releases, it's been three eps per disc, and you know how long that series ran. OTOH, for DB they're releasing them in double disc sets with 15eps per case. If you really care, let them know the next time you go to an Anime convention.

Also, if you happen to live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area you can call them and ask about open-call auditions for the voices. If you care enough you can find the telephone number, and they're located right off I-820 in NE Fort Worth.

As for HnG, I'd heard that it had been licensed (and I think will be on TV- it'd be perfect for it, no editing needed!), but as there's been no announcement we'll just have to wait.
Closed Thread