Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-12-28, 20:09   Link #2121
Kagatob

Send a message via AIM to Kagatob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I agree that Haru did not obviously act as though was using the first two girls as a substitute for Sora - he seemed sincere in his feelings for them to me as well. Obviously there was a quantum shift in the Nao arc. While Haru still seemed to genuinely love her in that arc, it was clear than everything that happened between Haru, Sora and Nao was interconnected. In a sense, the first two arcs seemed disconnected from the rest of the series to me.
This is exactly how the writers of both the game and anime planned it. Remember, that Kazuha and Akira both share episode 2 which is the branching point for what is known as the 'common route'. The Nao/Sora branch at episode 7 is the 'main storyline'.

I enjoy the fact that instead of just doing a big long Sora arc that would have been dragged out between Nao and Sora, they decided to take two other really provocative characters, Oujosama and Miko-sama, and give them their spotlights as well.
Kagatob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-28, 23:22   Link #2122
Kamonichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagatob View Post
This is exactly how the writers of both the game and anime planned it. Remember, that Kazuha and Akira both share episode 2 which is the branching point for what is known as the 'common route'. The Nao/Sora branch at episode 7 is the 'main storyline'.

I enjoy the fact that instead of just doing a big long Sora arc that would have been dragged out between Nao and Sora, they decided to take two other really provocative characters, Oujosama and Miko-sama, and give them their spotlights as well.
Stretching out the Sora/Nao arc to 12 episodes would have weakened its impact, I think. Keeping it as it was, it was just the right length. Also, I enjoyed the other two arcs with their interesting characters and d'awww moments.
Kamonichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 01:42   Link #2123
Haru~
My Lovely Bunny Chie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamonichan View Post
Stretching out the Sora/Nao arc to 12 episodes would have weakened its impact, I think. Keeping it as it was, it was just the right length. Also, I enjoyed the other two arcs with their interesting characters and d'awww moments.
Enjoying the little things. You know, I've watched the episode 11 and 12 a number of times already and I still have the same HNNNNNNG feeling I got when I first watched it.
Old 2010-12-29, 19:28   Link #2124
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Ironically, despite how much I loved the Kasugano twins, my favorite character in the show is Nao. Maybe she had good roles in her own arc and Sora's. In her own arc she become a heroine after Haru failed to get the hero role much like Kazuha's and Akira's arcs. She also the biggest winner than Haru as she not just able to have sex with Haru in the end but also with Sora's blessing. Its a win-win situation for both Nao and Sora regarldless how much Sora hated it. At least Sora learn that she already had unbreakable bond with Haru.

In Sora's arc she was nearly raped by Haru and caught him having sex with his own sister but still able to forgive him. She also remained optimistic when the twins left the village(as she and rest of the villagers thought but the twins' fates remained uncertain) and able to lecture Kozue to think the same way.

What I hate is people calling her as "slut" because she raped Haru when they both kids but she never slept with any boys at all. When she almost get raped by Haru people never give the same reaction towoards him. Maybe it is easier to hate a female character than a male one except Makoto Itou, the biggest horndog in non-hentai anime and fortunately Haru never followed his path.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 19:54   Link #2125
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
Maybe it is easier to hate a female character than a male one
This opens up that whole mess of psychosociological issues that come up around this board every so often. The Cliffnotes version is that different expectations for the sexes, when put into practice, can come across as weird and hypocritical, and just a little bit stupid.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-30, 05:33   Link #2126
YaminoSeigi

Pixiv collection for Yosuga no Sora most of the pics are Sora's though

http://www.mediafire.com/?ic16ku11cxi5oem

i wonder if any OVA will be made?
Old 2010-12-30, 07:35   Link #2127
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaminoSeigi View Post
Pixiv collection for Yosuga no Sora most of the pics are Sora's though

http://www.mediafire.com/?ic16ku11cxi5oem

i wonder if any OVA will be made?

A la Princess lover? No objections from me
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-30, 09:06   Link #2128
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Do you know where I can get the BGM which played during Sora's masturbation scene in episode 10 and when Haru date with Nao in episode 11?
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-30, 12:11   Link #2129
higoku1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
Do you know where I can get the BGM which played during Sora's masturbation scene in episode 10 and when Haru date with Nao in episode 11?
The BGM is going to be released in the third BD volume in an OST CD called "New".
higoku1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-30, 17:53   Link #2130
Nikanoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Please, no, that OVA was horrible. :/ If they're gonna do one, I really, really really hope it's done by the same team, and part of the same canon. They kinda teased Kozue's arc in the last ep, they'd be jerks if they didn't do one. But I'll take anything (extended Sora arc? yes plz) as long as it doesn't end up like the PL OVA.
Nikanoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-30, 18:16   Link #2131
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Alright Ascaloth I'm going to quote some of your review to reply to some of the points you made.

Quote:
Unfortunately, nothing else in Yosuga no Sora is quite that good. For one thing, the narrative of the series takes the form of an omnibus format. In short, it is not one story, but a set of 4 parallel-universe tales, each revolving around one of the female characters in the same setting, and resetting to a prior point at the end of each story arc to make way for the beginning of a new one. While this places the focus on each girl at a time, this comes at the great cost of sacrificing much character development; while the entire cast is more or less consistent to their character in each different story arc, they react differently to the different circumstances in each arc, and become quite different personalities at the conclusion of each arc. This is especially apparent in the male lead Haruka, who is a fairly good character in his own right, but develops so differently as a personality every story arc he might as well have been several different people.
I also express distaste with the omnibus format, but it's not like it was a mystery that this was what it was going to be coming into the show.

However, while the format in general tends to be inferior, I feel that Yosuga no Sora so far has been the best executor of said format thus far that I have seen.

This is why I don't agree with your statements about sacrificing "too" much character development. Each individual arc and the cameos of some of the characters did enough to deliver the essence of each girl. I don't honestly believe you can sit back in your chair and be questioning yourself about what each character is like, and that is the beauty of this anime.

Also, please explain how any of the other characters besides Haru were inconsistent in different arcs?

Haruka is not a big deal considering that he is making different decisions in each arc, so obviously he is essentially a slightly different person in each arc. The whole point of omnibus is "...what if he did this..." If he was the exact same person every arc, there would not have been any branching off in the first place. The essence of his character is the same no matter which arc you watch. His idea of "trying to find love else where" that was presented in Sora's arc is consistent with the other arcs. In those arcs he was able to, in Sora's he wasn't. This should make it clear that he has to be a little different in each arc for it to work. Again, would you care to make the case on how he was so different? I can't see it.

Quote:
However, because of the omnibus format, each arc only gets a few episodes from start to conclusion, barely enough time to develop the melodramatic elements into a good melodrama. This is not helped by the fact that there is less than an episode’s worth of air time for the main story arc each episode, with the rest of the time being taken up by an omake detailing the misadventures of a ninja maid (yes they went there) with, once again, Haruka the male lead.
It is compact, yes. You're not able to sit there for 3 months watching this show to fully experience a long drawn out arc. Then again the advantage of not doing a long drawn out arc is to fill almost every single moment (Besides the silly omake, and some of the soft core pr0n) with purpose. Often times in 1 cour animes that only do one girl's arc (And if they amalgamate them in some way, then it still ends up feeling compact besides the main girl's "arc"), you are filled with moments during the series that you could fast forward through and be better off not seeing it. An example is having to see the same gags over and over again in an animethat just make you want to bash your head against a wall.

Quote:
As a matter of fact, the series seems less of an adaptation, than a rehash of each route of the visual novel’s material. What is particularly galling is how there seems to be little reason for such an uninspired execution of the source material… apart from an apparent desire to give each female character a turn at being the female lead, and a chance to show off their bodies in all their naked glory.
It's a rehash of the visual novel no matter how you spin it, omnibus or not. Each character has their defining characteristics and charms, and compelling stories, and what the omnibus does is truly allow the viewers to experience the essence of every character. Doing 1 continuous amalgamation of a story only develops one of the characters well, and the rest become fodder. There's advantages and disadvantages to the approach, and again while I do dislike omnibus myself, I do feel its a bit unfair to discredit the approach altogether without listing some of the strengths it has.

Last edited by Reckoner; 2010-12-30 at 18:30.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-30, 19:36   Link #2132
Dahak86
Classics never age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanoru View Post
Please, no, that OVA was horrible. :/ If they're gonna do one, I really, really really hope it's done by the same team, and part of the same canon. They kinda teased Kozue's arc in the last ep, they'd be jerks if they didn't do one. But I'll take anything (extended Sora arc? yes plz) as long as it doesn't end up like the PL OVA.
well, considering the genre, it wasn't that bad. there's definitely worse stuff out there, I guess.
btw, I certainly wouldn't mind a YnS H-ova. (maybe with kozue/yahiro)
Old 2010-12-30, 22:35   Link #2133
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Alright Ascaloth I'm going to quote some of your review to reply to some of the points you made.
Slowpoke is sloooooooooooow.

Quote:
This is why I don't agree with your statements about sacrificing "too" much character development. Each individual arc and the cameos of some of the characters did enough to deliver the essence of each girl. I don't honestly believe you can sit back in your chair and be questioning yourself about what each character is like, and that is the beauty of this anime.
Delivering the essence of each female character is classified under "basic requirement", not "achievement". Each girl has their own story, each one requiring the active assistance of the male lead to resolve; yes, good, that's all great, but what else is there to each one apart from that? What particular qualities does each girl have that caused the male lead to be attracted to her above all else? Outside of their respective melodramas, what are they like as people?

The last time "male lead fixes problems of sad girls" was fresh, it was called Kanon.

Quote:
Also, please explain how any of the other characters besides Haru were inconsistent in different arcs?
Sora. She's consistent in her jealous streak at least, but why does she only pull the seductress act in her own route? Relatively understandable in the Kazuha/Akira arc, but what stopped her from pulling the same in the Nao arc? Why was she such a passive character in the other arcs, but so much less so in her own arc? What was the difference?

Kazuha and Akira. Why is the focus solely on the father in the former's arc, but on the mother in the latter's arc? What, exactly, is stopping them from resolving both issues at once? There is a very clear link in the issues in both arcs, so why does it look like both sides of the situation are isolated in completely different worlds? Because they are, for no good reason I can see, save the apparent desire to give both girls their chance to show themselves in all their sexual glory.

Really, every girl becomes passive when they're not the heroine of their own route, and I don't know why. I get it's to keep the focus on the girl of the moment, but it doesn't make sense how the other girls all but fade into the background, because I don't think social relationships work like that. Especially not, give how Haruka is apparently such a pheromone machine in the first episode....

Quote:
Haruka is not a big deal considering that he is making different decisions in each arc, so obviously he is essentially a slightly different person in each arc. The whole point of omnibus is "...what if he did this..." If he was the exact same person every arc, there would not have been any branching off in the first place. The essence of his character is the same no matter which arc you watch. His idea of "trying to find love else where" that was presented in Sora's arc is consistent with the other arcs. In those arcs he was able to, in Sora's he wasn't. This should make it clear that he has to be a little different in each arc for it to work. Again, would you care to make the case on how he was so different? I can't see it.
You're right in that the omnibus format is good for exploring "What if he did this?". What Yosuga failed to do, is to follow up with "Why did he do this?"

Yes, Haruka is essentially the same character in all arcs....which raises the question of why did he make each particular choice in each particular arc. Why did this Haruka choose to spend his time with Kazuha, and that one chose to do so with Akira instead? Why was the other Haruka able to make it work with Nao, and yet another one ended up losing his shit when it comes to Sora? Clearly, each iteration of Haruka was slightly different in his personality and motivations....the question is, what were those differences, and how come they were there?

I cannot get a grasp on Haruka's character, pretty much. It's true that the sister-fucker is different from the osananajimi-fucker, who is different from the miko-fucker, who is in turn different from the oujo-fucker. I just don't see why he happens to be different in each case. Haruka is for the most part, the VN protagonist whose qualities change with each player.

Quote:
It is compact, yes. You're not able to sit there for 3 months watching this show to fully experience a long drawn out arc. Then again the advantage of not doing a long drawn out arc is to fill almost every single moment (Besides the silly omake, and some of the soft core pr0n) with purpose. Often times in 1 cour animes that only do one girl's arc (And if they amalgamate them in some way, then it still ends up feeling compact besides the main girl's "arc"), you are filled with moments during the series that you could fast forward through and be better off not seeing it. An example is having to see the same gags over and over again in an animethat just make you want to bash your head against a wall.
If I wanted to watch a series where something is happening every moment, I'll fire up Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

And if you're going to take the approach of having something happening all the time in this kind of drama, you lose the sense of each character's personality, like I mentioned above. It becomes just about plot, and forgets about character-building. A good romance drama should be able to make you empathize with at least one of the characters; Yosuga no Sora, sad to say, fails at this for me.

Quote:
It's a rehash of the visual novel no matter how you spin it, omnibus or not. Each character has their defining characteristics and charms, and compelling stories, and what the omnibus does is truly allow the viewers to experience the essence of every character. Doing 1 continuous amalgamation of a story only develops one of the characters well, and the rest become fodder. There's advantages and disadvantages to the approach, and again while I do dislike omnibus myself, I do feel its a bit unfair to discredit the approach altogether without listing some of the strengths it has.
Well, since it's not general knowledge for those who are not NHRV staff, I suppose I might as well mention it; there is a word limit on reviews at NHRV, and it is a limit I bust regularly, despite my best efforts. I can go into a more in-depth look, and mention everything this series has done right or wrong....but that will just cause Sorrow-K to come after me with his +5 Chainsaw of Editing Fury.

So, whatever I review is going to need to be bite-sized, and easy for people to use as a reference for which series they might think of picking up. That means I have to cut chase and focus on my impressions of any title; so, you have a valid point, but it's not one I can do anything about.

In any case, if you want a review on our site which is more in line with your opinions, feel free to come show us what you've got.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 01:48   Link #2134
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Slowpoke is sloooooooooooow.
Slow and steady wins the race?

Quote:
Delivering the essence of each female character is classified under "basic requirement", not "achievement". Each girl has their own story, each one requiring the active assistance of the male lead to resolve; yes, good, that's all great, but what else is there to each one apart from that? What particular qualities does each girl have that caused the male lead to be attracted to her above all else? Outside of their respective melodramas, what are they like as people?

The last time "male lead fixes problems of sad girls" was fresh, it was called Kanon.
Hmm. Well I suppose they leave too much to the viewer in this case? Let me break it down how I see it...

Kazuha - Haruka sees how dearly she cares for her sister, Akira. Sees an almost maternal kindness within her. He seems to find connection with the idea of caring for a sibling, since he has had to take care of Sora himself. I suppose he can relate to the idea of a worrywart sibling.

Akira - She's energetic and lively. Childhood friend. Haruka admires how hard she tries despite the pain she shelters in her heart from others.

Nao - Easy sex (OK just kidding ). Almost like his bigger sister, the girl next door. Very kind heart. Extremely accepting, basically an all around good friend. Used to be the girl with the bright smile that lightened up his life.

Sora - Haruka is obviously a hard M. Well, I suppose Sora is very attractive to him. She's someone who obviously by being in the same family, knows and realizes the same pain as him. They both fully understand loneliness by virtue of having no parents to depend on and through this is because more intimate. He finds her "attitude" cute as well I suppose.

Admittedly, there is definitely room to see more of the girl's personalities, but I don't feel like I was cheated or anything. Some of these girls have had more development than many non omni bus animes I've seen recently. Not that this is an excuse. Perhaps I've lowered my standards... After all, 2010 has been one of the worst years for anime this last decade or so.

Quote:
Sora. She's consistent in her jealous streak at least, but why does she only pull the seductress act in her own route? Relatively understandable in the Kazuha/Akira arc, but what stopped her from pulling the same in the Nao arc? Why was she such a passive character in the other arcs, but so much less so in her own arc? What was the difference?

Kazuha and Akira. Why is the focus solely on the father in the former's arc, but on the mother in the latter's arc? What, exactly, is stopping them from resolving both issues at once? There is a very clear link in the issues in both arcs, so why does it look like both sides of the situation are isolated in completely different worlds? Because they are, for no good reason I can see, save the apparent desire to give both girls their chance to show themselves in all their sexual glory.

Well I don't see why Akira would focus on the problems Kazuha has with their father, seeing as her emotional troubles reside with her mother. Same goes for Kazuha and her mother. They were isolated simply because their problems were different.

Really, every girl becomes passive when they're not the heroine of their own route, and I don't know why. I get it's to keep the focus on the girl of the moment, but it doesn't make sense how the other girls all but fade into the background, because I don't think social relationships work like that. Especially not, give how Haruka is apparently such a pheromone machine in the first episode....
Alright I understand. These are all very fair criticisms, and its reasons like that why I also dislike omnibus formats in anime. It becomes awkward when exploring other girls arcs knowing that the girls you don't focus on are still going through trouble. It is also troublesome to keep all the personalities, events, and character interactions consistent.

Quote:
You're right in that the omnibus format is good for exploring "What if he did this?". What Yosuga failed to do, is to follow up with "Why did he do this?"

Yes, Haruka is essentially the same character in all arcs....which raises the question of why did he make each particular choice in each particular arc. Why did this Haruka choose to spend his time with Kazuha, and that one chose to do so with Akira instead? Why was the other Haruka able to make it work with Nao, and yet another one ended up losing his shit when it comes to Sora? Clearly, each iteration of Haruka was slightly different in his personality and motivations....the question is, what were those differences, and how come they were there?

I cannot get a grasp on Haruka's character, pretty much. It's true that the sister-fucker is different from the osananajimi-fucker, who is different from the miko-fucker, who is in turn different from the oujo-fucker. I just don't see why he happens to be different in each case. Haruka is for the most part, the VN protagonist whose qualities change with each player.
I bold that line because it seems you already understand, but don't like the idea. I guess it could disgust you to have the feeling that you're just playing the VN itself, seeing how Haruka's personality is tweaked based upon the whim of which girl he chooses.

It makes the character feel less real in the end. Another disadvantage of the omnibus format.

Quote:
If I wanted to watch a series where something is happening every moment, I'll fire up Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

And if you're going to take the approach of having something happening all the time in this kind of drama, you lose the sense of each character's personality, like I mentioned above. It becomes just about plot, and forgets about character-building. A good romance drama should be able to make you empathize with at least one of the characters; Yosuga no Sora, sad to say, fails at this for me.
I think Haruka's drill was filled with plenty of spiral energy.

I feel like I was able to empathize with the characters to a degree. It is hard to do so when everything is so compact. Again, it's why I also dislike the omnibus format. However, for me personally, I saw enough of each of the characters (Save Nao) to understand and like them. I realize why it would be hard for many to do so.

Quote:
Well, since it's not general knowledge for those who are not NHRV staff, I suppose I might as well mention it; there is a word limit on reviews at NHRV, and it is a limit I bust regularly, despite my best efforts. I can go into a more in-depth look, and mention everything this series has done right or wrong....but that will just cause Sorrow-K to come after me with his +5 Chainsaw of Editing Fury.

So, whatever I review is going to need to be bite-sized, and easy for people to use as a reference for which series they might think of picking up. That means I have to cut chase and focus on my impressions of any title; so, you have a valid point, but it's not one I can do anything about.
Fair enough. I do fully realize that you don't make baseless comments.

Quote:
In any case, if you want a review on our site which is more in line with your opinions, feel free to come show us what you've got.
Haha. We'll see if I'm up to the challenge.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 04:00   Link #2135
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanoru View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
well, considering the genre, it wasn't that bad. there's definitely worse stuff out there, I guess.
btw, I certainly wouldn't mind a YnS H-ova. (maybe with kozue/yahiro)
Well, as PL goes, both TV and OVA were quite bad (for different reasons, though). Kozue OVA, dunno, I guess none will really care to buy. It would be interesting to make a Motoka-like OVA for Yahiro
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 04:42   Link #2136
YaminoSeigi

If there will be an OVA i wish it will be Inchou's route
Old 2010-12-31, 15:06   Link #2137
Kagatob

Send a message via AIM to Kagatob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
I just felt the need to point out, your biggest gripe with the story was the inconsistency of some of the characters, which is incorrect and has been explained umpteen billion times already. Regardless, you decided to compare it to the only show I've ever seen that had to (and very very poorly) retcon itself 4 times within 24 episodes just to keep the story going.
Kagatob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 10:24   Link #2138
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagatob View Post
I just felt the need to point out, your biggest gripe with the story was the inconsistency of some of the characters, which is incorrect and has been explained umpteen billion times already. Regardless, you decided to compare it to the only show I've ever seen that had to (and very very poorly) retcon itself 4 times within 24 episodes just to keep the story going.
I just felt the need to point out, that I have already laid out my reasoning behind my biggest gripe with the story regarding the inconsistency of some of the characters, which has been accepted by some fellow posters here as a valid if not universally agreed-with criticism; certainly not "incorrect", and not the "explained umpteen billion times already" your laughable attempt at exaggeration would make it. Regardless, you decided to pick on my choice to compare this series with TTGL, disregarding the fact that I brought it up as my choice if I wanted to watch something with quick pacing, and thus which has nothing to do with my criticism about the inconsistency of the characters in Yosuga no Sora in the first place.

[mod edit: pointless flamebait -_-; ]

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2011-01-02 at 20:15. Reason: Removed pointless flamebait
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 12:07   Link #2139
Lilith
Your average fangirl

While I'm glad Yosuga no Sora is good enough to ignite such arguments and comparisons, I'm not fond of Ascaloth's attitude (your insults of "comprehension" or whatever smart ass lines you throw).

I'd like focus to another point other than a review (which's teetering over being a troll). For example... me whining about how little pics there are for Haru compared to the girls. Please don't ignore the fangirls who like the edible bishie~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
It would be interesting to make a Motoka-like OVA for Yahiro
For a second I even forgot who is Yahiro. It's a shame we didn't see her at all (initially I thought she might be Akira's true mother ^^)

And I definitely won't watch class-rep OVA. >_> I still dislike her... She should pair up with Ryohei.
Old 2011-01-01, 18:29   Link #2140
Nikanoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
And I definitely won't watch class-rep OVA. >_> I still dislike her... She should pair up with Ryohei.
Oh come on... you'd watch it.

Aww but my opinion of her improved after that last line of hers in ep 12, showing that she isn't just some hater of incest, but that she merely has deep unrealized dreams of her own.
Nikanoru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, eroge, romance, seinen, visual novel adaptation