Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2011-05-08, 06:38   Link #1
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Personal Notepad

I noticed on other forums (which use vbulletin) whom I visited have this feature. So I was wandering if you can implant this feature here on AnimeSuki to as well. It will not change forum in any way, also I can't see any reason why this would affect forum negatively. In my opinion this will only bring positive reaction. I am sure I am not the only one who wanted to post (or something else) here on forum but because of some distraction (job, school, sleep etc etc) forgot what he/she wanted the next time they come to forum. It can be very useful, at least in my opinion
Old 2011-05-08, 06:55   Link #2
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Can you provide a example of how this looks exactly? Like a screenshot.
Old 2011-05-08, 07:05   Link #3
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I'm not sure if this is a task this forum should fulfill.

If you want an online notepad and use Gmail (or Fastmail.fm, which also has it) you can use the "Notes" feature: http://www.iamatechie.com/how-to-cre...s-using-gmail/

I'm sure there are other sites or existing services you are already using that may also have similar functionality.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 07:08   Link #4
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Ah, that kind. Opera has a notes feature and you can synchronize them.
Old 2011-05-08, 07:15   Link #5
milan kyuubi
*Graphic Designer

felix; here it is...

GHDpro;
Thanks for the link But wouldn't be much easier to have this kind of feature in User CP here on forum? Where members can reach it every time they log in. Like I said it can only be useful, from what I can tell there shouldn't be any drawbacks by having this feature added. This way even if members create theirs notes on some other place, they could still forget them. This way you will see it each time you go to User CP. Also you can see what this notes should be more useful on the pic above.

Anyway thanks for responding so fast
Old 2011-05-09, 18:27   Link #6
CMSensei
Formerly -> CMHerrera
*Graphic Designer

I agree with Milan, there are time I would wanna go do something on animesuki and then the next day I would forget XD And yes I am forgetful so if I have it in a another place I forget its there.

CM-san's Mystical Creations

"The one who can win
against me, is me!"

- Daiki Aomine
CMSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 19:30   Link #7
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
I believe this subforum is meant not only for feedback, but also for Suggestions among other things. So why is it that the staff of this forum seem to shoot down every suggestion made almost instantly without giving it much of a thought. '' I'm not sure if this is a task this forum should fulfill. '' .. Mind explaining what exactly is the downside of implementing such feature. Unlike the '' Someone has posted while you were writing '' which could annoy some, I don't see how having additional tab for this on your User CP would harm or annoy anyone.

Frankly, it seems that the staff is fixated on how the forum is as it is and aren't willing to implement anything new that would change the '' good old '' Animesuki. Any threads that you don't like are closed down without even giving chance for further discussion.
Old 2011-05-09, 21:54   Link #8
james0246

Couldn't you just PM yourself?
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 22:01   Link #9
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
I don't see how having additional tab for this on your User CP would harm or annoy anyone.
That's fantastic. We should implement it immediately because you don't have a problem with it.

Forgive my attitude but you're the one who decided to derail a feedback thread to complain about how we're all just a bunch of old grumpy moderators who never listen to anyone. Please, explain to me, how exactly is "I'm not sure" equal to a "No"? The last time I checked, maybe was a worded used when you had no fixed point of view.

Have you ever considered that this particular version of the forum may not have that feature, and that it would have to be hacked in? Or that it might require an entire forum upgrade? There are other factors besides "that's a great idea" that go into making decisions. You are correct in that the idea is simple, but it isn't always as simple as just clicking an "implement this feature" button and moving on to something else.

I'm not saying it is the case here (it may or may not be), but assume for a second the implementation is difficult for the way our forums are constructed. Is there enough community interest and support for the idea to make it worth the time to put the feature in? Would it actually be used by more than one or two people? Is the time implementing the feature balanced out by the use the feature will get?

These and other considerations factor into feedback. Unfortunately staff aren't handed a Staples button when they sign up for the job.

Quote:
Frankly, it seems that the staff is fixated on how the forum is as it is and aren't willing to implement anything new that would change the '' good old '' Animesuki. Any threads that you don't like are closed down without even giving chance for further discussion.
You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. The staff has implemented many changes over the years based on feedback from the community. If you or anyone else has a particular beef with a particular thread being closed, you are welcome to ask any mod for reasoning and you are free to offer a thought out and rational explanation for why you think it should be reopened. Derailing a feedback thread with a rant is not the way to do it, you're just making it more difficult for everyone else to discuss the things the OP is suggesting.
Old 2011-05-10, 05:34   Link #10
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
That’s what I do and it works. You can also create a separate folder (eg. “Notes”) where to place them—just so you don’t accidentally delete them.
Old 2011-05-10, 07:33   Link #11
milan kyuubi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Yes I could But the problem is, sometime I (and probably others) don't log in on forum for at least a month if not more (depends on real life). So even if I send my self a message I would forget about it. I don't check my inbox very often (or at least until I need to erase some messages so new can arrive). I know that at least everyone visits theirs ''user CP' almost every time they log in. Also you'll remember always because it will be on the same place as the subscribed threads. I don't see a trouble at having this kind of feature. Making some notes on some other site(s) or somewhere else for this forum would be difficult (for the lack of better word), simple because there is a great chance in forgetting those site(s). Having this option on this forum would be much easier option and much less trouble. As I said in my OP this kind of feature want change the look of the forum. Or will be affected with negativity on this forum. That's my reasons, I just think it will help members on this board.

Solace; Sorry if this option is not available for this forum. If I knew that it's not possible I wouldn't have made the suggestion in the first place. The only reason I posted this suggestion here is because I saw this feature on the another forum who uses the same format as you (vbulletin).
Old 2011-05-10, 07:39   Link #12
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Don’t read the message. ;D

Then it will show up in the User CP.
Old 2011-05-10, 15:53   Link #13
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by milan kyuubi View Post
Solace; Sorry if this option is not available for this forum. If I knew that it's not possible I wouldn't have made the suggestion in the first place. The only reason I posted this suggestion here is because I saw this feature on the another forum who uses the same format as you (vbulletin).
Actually I have no idea if it possible or not. I was just pointing out reasons why we don't jump on every idea and implement them immediately. We'd love to take great ideas, snap our fingers, and make it happen. Sometimes it just isn't that simple.

Don't be afraid of suggesting something you think is a good idea on the off chance it might not be possible. You never know how things will turn out if you don't at least try.

Personally I'm not opposed to the idea, but I don't have the final say. Features like this need to be implemented by the administrators, so they get the final word on if they like the idea and think it is possible to implement it without any problems.
Old 2011-05-18, 10:27   Link #14
Kitsune
九尾の狐
*Artist

Quote:
I believe this subforum is meant not only for feedback, but also for Suggestions among other things. So why is it that the staff of this forum seem to shoot down every suggestion made almost instantly without giving it much of a thought. '' I'm not sure if this is a task this forum should fulfill. '' .. Mind explaining what exactly is the downside of implementing such feature. Unlike the '' Someone has posted while you were writing '' which could annoy some, I don't see how having additional tab for this on your User CP would harm or annoy anyone.

Agree with Dist, my question is... Has lately (well, with "lately" we can say in the last 3 years) the staff even seriously check a suggestion to adding something in the forum?

BTW, this is a pretty interesting fature that doesn't spcially bother anyone (since it's private for every account in the forum.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 17:28   Link #15
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
... in the last 3 years... [Do] the staff ... seriously check a suggestion to adding something in the forum?
If by check you mean consider, yes. All of the requests are considered to some degree (I can say that confidently because even if no one else looks at them, I have looked at almost all of them). It just happens that a lot of the requests have been rejected; either because they are seen as "change for change sake", or because we specifically do not want them. If not rejected most of the rest are tentatively added to the "list of possible modification for implementation at some point in the future", which is worked through when someone has time to do a technical evaluation, implementation, etc. For those, the lack of time is the biggest problem.

As for this feature specifically: I'm not opposed to it in principle (it is private so sits lower down the impact scale), but I also feel there are alternatives already (as presented) and it isn't resolving a flaw in the forum, so it is of low priority. I understand the reasoning behind the advantages of this approach specifically, and if enough people believe it is more useful to them than using an alternative, I would consider it. However, I do not have time to implement such a feature so someone needs to provide it (or persuade GHDpro to acquire one of the VB community mods that provides it; and by "persuade" I don't mean badger, I mean ask and if required present reasoned arguments for and against installing it).
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-19, 14:50   Link #16
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
I'm sorry for possibly sounding stupid, but please, do educate me...a personal notepad? What exactly does it do? Won't putting a ".txt" file on your desktop do the same thing? I know I have one for all the things I tend to forget.

If it does, why would one even bother to implement such a thing on a discussion board? Sorry, for this might sound rude; but no wonder most proposals get dismissed. There's just no value in something that everyone can do on their own PCs, no reason to fill the servers with anymore useless data.
Old 2011-05-19, 15:04   Link #17
Dist

^Yes because few lines per user would REALLY fill up the server. That makes sense.

Also the argument '' If you can do it on your own PC, why implement in AS '' makes no sense. Hell, almost all if not actually all the suggestions here can be done one way or another without implementing them on AS. For example, how the forum looks could simply be changed by scripts or add-ons, why bother changing it if there's an alternative ? This often seems to be how the mods think too .. There's always an alternative so we don't need a feature like this or that. An alternative that probably is not so useful as it would if it was implemented in the forum or an alternative that might require more effort to use.

If you want to know what personal notepad does, read the damn thread and don't just reply by reading the title. Having a txt file on your desktop is little to no use to you if you are at school, work or wherever else. I for one could actually find the notepad useful when I'm at college or wherever else and might browse AS in my free time. Then, when I have to go, I can put links or whatever to the notepad for things I want to remember for when I get to home.
Old 2011-05-19, 15:34   Link #18
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Also the argument '' If you can do it on your own PC, why implement in AS '' makes no sense. Hell, almost all if not actually all the suggestions here can be done one way or another without implementing them on AS. For example, how the forum looks could simply be changed by scripts or add-ons, why bother changing it if there's an alternative ? This often seems to be how the mods think too .. There's always an alternative so we don't need a feature like this or that. An alternative that probably is not so useful as it would if it was implemented in the forum or an alternative that might require more effort to use.If you want to know what personal notepad does, read the damn thread and don't just reply by reading the title. Having a txt file on your desktop is little to no use to you if you are at school, work or wherever else. I for one could actually find the notepad useful when I'm at college or wherever else and might browse AS in my free time. Then, when I have to go, I can put links or whatever to the notepad for things I want to remember for when I get to home.
Okay, my point being - we already have several tools that do just that, most preferably cellphones and emails. Not to mention several people here already pointed out a couple more options that are already implemented into the forum.That's why I don't understand this suggestion for yet another alternative.

Look at it from the other side of the fence. Try using a business standpoint - if someone provides a service, there's no way they can satisfy every customer. Hence they look for solutions that benefit both parties in some significant way. The example we're discussing right now isn't exactly profitable. Even less so if there's already a couple solutions to the issue and if the demand for said feature is this low so far. It's several people proposing a small change that impacts a community of thousands of which most don't even care about it (if they do, they should voice their opinion here), so why exactly would the admins want to spend time implementing it? From a logical standpoint.

Last edited by Larthak; 2011-05-19 at 15:48.
Larthak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-19, 16:39   Link #19
Dist

It impacts others how ? It's completely private and would only mean one additional link in your User CP somewhere .. you can hardly call that an '' impact ''.
Old 2011-05-19, 18:50   Link #20
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larthak View Post
I'm sorry for possibly sounding stupid, but please, do educate me...a personal notepad? What exactly does it do? Won't putting a ".txt" file on your desktop do the same thing? I know I have one for all the things I tend to forget.
First and foremost, the ruling from the staff seems pretty clearly negative, so your sarcasm comes off as just beating a dead horse; I don’t really see what you’re trying to add to the topic.

But anyway, FYI the idea is actually pretty widespread, but usually it doesn’t follow the sticky note variant (ie. this “personal notepad” interpretation) but rather the draft variant, ie. posts you just write but fail to post are saved as drafts (or you can save them manually). “Save draft” is a pretty popular feature request for vbulletin, and (every?) other forum software has it, blogging software has it, writing software has it—so just from a “new users coming from other boards” perspective it makes sense to have something along it’s lines; though this “personal notepad” thing is not the appropriate variant to go with.

In my opinion “personal notepad” is just a stupid way to call it, since it’s like the feature is feeding flame against it (ie. “why not use notepad”), and you just had to be the one to fail to treat it as just a name. As much as I agree with you on the practicality of the implementation which was given as a example! shooting down the entire concept of having remember-me/todo lists and drafting is pretty narrow minded. The purpose of the topic (and features in general) is to solve or add functionality. A failed/unacceptable implementation says nothing negative to the need for said feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larthak View Post
If it does, why would one even bother to implement such a thing on a discussion board? Sorry, for this might sound rude; but no wonder most proposals get dismissed. There's just no value in something that everyone can do on their own PCs, no reason to fill the servers with anymore useless data.
This one poorly worded thread does not prove every suggestion ever was horrible. Also please understand you can’t just treat every thread here as if they were equivalent. Different ideas were voices, in different context, resulting in different type of discussion happening. The problems you allude to exist, they are just not that simple…

But anyway, if you want to talk about this start a thread. (pretty sure it’s off-topic here)