Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-19, 03:38   Link #101
Dernhelm
High on Jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu
Apropos episode four, I found the little exchange between Jou and Gora funny.
Spoiler:

He doesn't seem to be fazed about the issue. ;;
i was just about to say, 'he seems pretty nonchalant about it' till i read the last line of your post. i didn't notice it before, but it means the same right? XD that's quite quirky of his almost dead character XP

"Bass has mysterious powers over women folk." - Bono, U2

Shunsuke Nakamura makes goalkeepers FLY and land HARD.
Old 2006-08-19, 05:11   Link #102
kuromitsu

Yeah, one would think there's some terrible secret behind it that makes him all dark and angsty. Instead it's just "ah, that always happens, dunno why." xD
Old 2006-08-19, 05:50   Link #103
Dernhelm
High on Jin

LOL, perfectly said! he just earned even more cutie points! XD

Old 2006-08-19, 21:27   Link #104
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Invasion

What I liked most about the episode was the music which was tense, and it reveals a complex web of relationships between the protagonists and antagonists entangled with each other.

The facts.
Spoiler:

Toraji stole the stage.
Spoiler:

I thought that the pirates were going to be done for by Steve and his crew but show their resilience to stay alive, and of course, it helped very much that Jo and Jin where on the same boat to work their way out against their former comrades.

It surprises me that Jo alone was able to handle knife guy and tarot guy at the same time. Those two are the most ruthless, blood-thirsty members of Phantom, and I was right that all of them know by hand Jin and Jo. Tarot guy holds a rival grudge against Jo, but unlike knife guy, he's able to keep his composure and not letting his bloodlust get the best of him, from what I observed.

My twist speculation is that Tarot guy has an obsessive liking for Jo in that he desires to slice and chop off parts of Jo's anatomy.

While we haven't seen yet Jin in street fighting, no doubt that he stands on equal ground with Jo piloting the Gladiator.
Spoiler:

I pretty know nothing as why Toraji let Jin and Jo go scot-free with Sana, but one thing was made certain that the pirate never treated Sana as a thing but a girl.
Spoiler:
Old 2006-08-20, 05:05   Link #105
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Toraji stole the stage.
Totally. It's a pity that we probably won't be seeing him for some time... ("I'm doing well, ain't I! ^o^)/")

Quote:
It surprises me that Jo alone was able to handle knife guy and tarot guy at the same time. Those two are the most ruthless, blood-thirsty members of Phantom, and I was right that all of them know by hand Jin and Jo.
Well, Jou IS supposed to be the best of the best... But I liked that even though Jou and Jin were doing very well fighting the four psychos, the balance of forces wasn't that much off - Jou & Jin were greatly helped out by Toraji when the Ishin submerged and the Phantom mechas couldn't follow them. (Phantom are stupid, though. If they're hunting for a submerging ship why don't they bring along a submarine?)

Quote:
My twist speculation is that Tarot guy has an obsessive liking for Jo in that he desires to slice and chop off parts of Jo's anatomy.
Well, he is voiced by Fukuyama Jun... He does disgruntled uke very well. xD But nah, I don't think that's the reason behind it, IV is not that kind of show. (Though, who knows?)

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
I pretty know nothing as why Toraji let Jin and Jo go scot-free with Sana, but one thing was made certain that the pirate never treated Sana as a thing but a girl.
He didn't tell Jin either, but apparently he recognized Sana's importance and he was content with how Jin and Jou protected her.... and I guess he has other things on his agenda at the moment. He let them go on the condition that they take Sana to a man (probably to the one who's shown in the preview) who will help them protect her. Although, as he told Hee-Jin, this doesn't mean that he trusts Jin, so I'm sure he'll keep an eye on them. Maybe that's why Gora tagged along.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2006-08-20 at 05:17.
Old 2006-08-20, 23:24   Link #106
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:

He didn't tell Jin either, but apparently he recognized Sana's importance and he was content with how Jin and Jou protected her.... and I guess he has other things on his agenda at the moment. He let them go on the condition that they take Sana to a man (probably to the one who's shown in the preview) who will help them protect her. Although, as he told Hee-Jin, this doesn't mean that he trusts Jin, so I'm sure he'll keep an eye on them. Maybe that's why Gora tagged along.

This is the idea I wanted to convey but could not find words to fit the description.

Toraji most likely is also keeping an eye and ear on whatever filthy business Drake is scheming to. So, he cannot handle all the burden with the military, Phantom, the Gladiators, the plundering, and Sana all at the same time.

Yes, I did understand that Toraji neither trust nor feels particular familiarity towards Jin and Jo, but he acknowledges first-hand that both desire to protect Sana's welfare at all costs.
But it's also interesting to bring forward that Toraji not even holds any animosity or grudge towards the two of them.

I think he's right now trying to fit all the puzzle pieces revolving around Sana and what Phantom plus the militia covet from Venus. Toraji knows well that Jin is more than capable to handle and decipher the clue that is Sana, henceforth, let them go only to perform that task for him.
Lately, I guess Toraji and his crew will return to retrieve Sana right under Jin and Jo's noses.
Old 2006-08-22, 07:58   Link #107
kuromitsu

Just listened to the latest radio drama... and it seems that the four Phantom psychos (well, two psychos and the rest ) hold an old grudge against Jin and Jou, from the time when they were still in Phantom. Jin and Jou apparently kicked their behinds in a fight. (I don't want to say more, in case it all turns out to be a spoiler or something.)
Old 2006-08-22, 08:41   Link #108
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

By chance anyone knows the names of the other three Phantom guys, aside from Steve's?

Reading that post about the radio drama, then my hunch did prove correct after all. Jin and Jou quite managed an excellent job to make enemies out of everyone at Phantom.
Old 2006-08-22, 08:55   Link #109
kuromitsu

Quote:
By chance anyone knows the names of the other three Phantom guys, aside from Steve's?
The big hulking one is Riki, Tarot Guy is Chin-ran (the kanji mean "blue wolf") and Knife Guy is Kyoushirou (it means something along the lines of "insane death" - subtle, isn't it).
Old 2006-08-22, 22:20   Link #110
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Hmmm I have a question here about KissSubs' subs:

I noticed that for episodes 1 and 2, the XviD versions are larger than the h264 versions.

While episodes 3 and 4 are the other way round.

IV 01 XviD = 167.3MiB
IV 01 h264 = 225.82MiB

IV 02 XviD = 167MiB
IV 02 h264 = 225.87MiB

IV 03 XviD = 225.44MiB
IV 03 h264 = 166.97MiB

IV 04 XviD = 225.55MiB
IV 04 h264 = 166.98MiB

Besides filenames, I have no idea how to differentiate XviD and h264 files. Anyone knows why these file sizes have switched? Did they name those files wrongly at some point? Either from the start or after episode 2. Or is there another explanation?

Which files are really XviD and which are h264?
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-08-22, 22:31   Link #111
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Nothing is wrong with the files. It was explained on their forums. They decided to switch the filesize from the 3rd episode onwards.
Old 2006-08-22, 22:40   Link #112
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Hmmm I see, thanks.

I downloaded the XviD versions at first because their filesizes were smaller. I think I'm going to delete all of them and redownload the h264 versions now.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-08-22, 22:41   Link #113
i0td

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Hmmm I have a question here about KissSubs' subs:

I noticed that for episodes 1 and 2, the XviD versions are larger than the h264 versions.

While episodes 3 and 4 are the other way round.

IV 01 XviD = 167.3MiB
IV 01 h264 = 225.82MiB

IV 02 XviD = 167MiB
IV 02 h264 = 225.87MiB

IV 03 XviD = 225.44MiB
IV 03 h264 = 166.97MiB

IV 04 XviD = 225.55MiB
IV 04 h264 = 166.98MiB

Besides filenames, I have no idea how to differentiate XviD and h264 files. Anyone knows why these file sizes have switched? Did they name those files wrongly at some point? Either from the start or after episode 2. Or is there another explanation?

Which files are really XviD and which are h264?
Actually, I've downloaded KissSub's version of the series as well. The h264 versions for eps 3 and 4 are each only ~167mb. You can verify with MediaInfo the codecs used and all.

As for the latest episode of this series... Quite the bit of action. The graphics and music continue to amaze me too, even the CG. At the onset, it looked as though the Phantom team was unstoppable and that the Ishin ship was as good as sunk. But don't miss Jin's debut in his Gladiator suit . And Toraji and his crew put up quite the fight too.
Quote:
and it seems that the four Phantom psychos (well, two psychos and the rest ) hold an old grudge against Jin and Jou, from the time when they were still in Phantom. Jin and Jou apparently kicked their behinds in a fight.
I definitely want to see more face-to-face action between the two duos now that you've mentioned this.
Old 2006-08-22, 23:17   Link #114
Skane
Anime Snark

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by i0td
~
But don't miss Jin's debut in his Gladiator suit .
~
Jin already piloted his Gladiator in the first episode. As a matter of fact, if you have been keeping score, Jin has killed/injured more enemies than Jo so far.

Go Jin, go!
Old 2006-08-22, 23:59   Link #115
i0td

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane
Jin already piloted his Gladiator in the first episode. As a matter of fact, if you have been keeping score, Jin has killed/injured more enemies than Jo so far.

Go Jin, go!
I really haven't been keeping track, so it actually comes as a surprise to me that Jin has been scoring the majority of the hits . I recall him taking down quite a number of soldiers using the team van, but other than that, Jo sporting his Gladiator has really been hogging the spotlight when it comes to combat with the enemy. I better write up a scoreboard too lol. That sneaky Jin...
Old 2006-08-23, 09:37   Link #116
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by i0td
The graphics and music continue to amaze me too, even the CG.
I'm not too keen on the 3D CG, but I agree that the music is amazing. It was the first thing that grabbed me in the show. Sometimes it reminds me of the music of Wolf's Rain. I'm eagerly waiting for the OST to come out.

Also, I love the ending song for some reason. It's such a nice song.
Old 2006-08-23, 11:40   Link #117
i0td

Quote:
I'm not too keen on the 3D CG, but I agree that the music is amazing. It was the first thing that grabbed me in the show. Sometimes it reminds me of the music of Wolf's Rain. I'm eagerly waiting for the OST to come out.

I'm not saying the CG blended in that well with the artists' animation. (When does it ever really fit perfectly? ) However, I really liked the amount of detail that was put into creating the Phantoms. And for some reason, I feel this series with its (can't quite find the right word) "industrial" setting could actually do with some computer animation. Other than that, I would say that perhaps the strongest point concerning animation is how setting and background are drawn, so captivating like that found in Mushishi.

I've said it before, but the music, though not upbeat the way I usually enjoy it, really portrays the right moods at the right times and thus makes it very appealing indeed.
Old 2006-08-23, 12:18   Link #118
Dernhelm
High on Jin

Quote:
Just listened to the latest radio drama... and it seems that the four Phantom psychos (well, two psychos and the rest ) hold an old grudge against Jin and Jou, from the time when they were still in Phantom. Jin and Jou apparently kicked their behinds in a fight. (I don't want to say more, in case it all turns out to be a spoiler or something.)
hey, hey. you know i'm keeping track of the radio show now just as you do. i don't mind the summaries you report (i'm not exactly well versed in the language yet, even though i've minored it) whether they'll be spoiler-laden or not. you can just put it inside spoiler tags to warn the other readers of this thread. ^^

Quote:
nipponsei just sprung out the single ;P
i loved it too, from the very first time i've heard it.

other notes:
Steve seems to be the most levelheaded of the Phantom crew. kuromitsu, i'm not sure but was that him acting like the sergeant in the dramas?
there seems to be something very ominous about the ED picture... i can't quite tell yet.
KuroNeko seems to be of the worst subs ever. compared it through submarine lingo.

question, what does Oryo mean now? to Toraji anyway.

Old 2006-08-23, 14:56   Link #119
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
Quote:
Dunno. I think it's mainly due to the fact that he is a soldier, after all. He may have a gentle side to him, but when it comes to fighting, it's bye-bye Mr. Gentle Brother and welcome Overprotective Angry Brother. Of course, the effects of piloting a Gladiator may also have something to do with it, but I think those should greatly depend on one's personality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane

Go Jin, go!
In the introduction, Jin is portrayed like a magician: slight of hands, making things appear and disappear. Moreover, he wears a mask with white on one side and black on the other. This is pure speculation, but somehow I get the vibe that he is the manipulative one wearing the facade of amiability. Kinda like the puppetmaster pulling the strings and see how things go >__>

I sounded like I'm delusional. I trust Jo more than I trust Jin.

Jin is just too good to be true.
Old 2006-08-23, 15:20   Link #120
Sana chan
Kisssub Translator
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dernhelm
question, what does Oryo mean now? to Toraji anyway.
My theory was that it was Hee-jin's Japanese name, through the whole thing where non-Japanese must adopt Japanese names when getting citizenship, but now that that's quashed with Ep4, my theory is that it's his mother's name
Closed Thread

Tags
action