Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2004-02-14, 13:33   Link #41
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lina
Oh man... I wanna be nice but really I thought it just flat-out sucked. The character designs are cute, sure, but the plot is literally mashed with so many cliches it isn't funny.

You got space angels, magical girl sequences, Earth in ruins, medieval settings... and your typical 'kawaii' anime heroine who IS LATE! OMG! WHO SAW THAT COMING? I DIDN'T. I'm not going to even mention the plot hole after commercial break where I had absolutely no idea what was going on. It's like a scene was cut out. Lasty just popped inside the stone face somehow and she was breaking down for some reason not quite clear!!

I was thinking about giving this anime another chance for the sake of the designs, but that quickly left my mind once Lasty, who looks about 13, had her transformation sequence where I think I said "Oh god no."
It's supposed to have those cliches...
Since it's a spin off of a spin off, I found it really funny and amusing.
And where exactly is this commercial break? When I watched it, the plot was consistent. If you're talking about Lasty destroying the floating fortress, she basically hopped on her Feather and rammed it into the fortress and then called Judgment upon the thing with a satellite laser.
Like otakujohn said, it's really up to your taste in anime. I personally like really cute girls going around doing not much at all (Galaxy Angel, etc) I generally don't like giant chest bouncing fanservice stuff, so no matter how much I look at Eiken (haven't yet, don't plan to), I won't like it.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-14, 17:02   Link #42
Lina
moo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
It's supposed to have those cliches...
Since it's a spin off of a spin off, I found it really funny and amusing.
I'm not sure what it's suppose to be spinning off, but I only found one scene funny so I don't consider it very comical...

Lil Nun Girl: And what is it you are planning to donate?
Lasty: *cheery background* Nothing at all!
Villain Lady: She's a demon!

I also notice that many claim that series with abundant amounts of fanservice are suppose to be 'parody's of other fanservice shows... (Like Mouse) I really don't think that's true. If it is, it's just as bad as the shows they are parodying! You can't properly parody fanservice with fanservice and expect it to be any better.

Quote:
And where exactly is this commercial break? When I watched it, the plot was consistent. If you're talking about Lasty destroying the floating fortress, she basically hopped on her Feather and rammed it into the fortress and then called Judgment upon the thing with a satellite laser.
It was the scene where Lasty is mesmorized or something by the stone face. It lasted a few seconds so I assumed it was because of the commercial cut off. Then suddenly she is inside of it (which turns out to be a spaceship) and she is having a dramatic discussion with the dark-skinned girl (I guess that lost angel they were talking about). You weren't the least bit confused, huh?
Lina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-14, 18:47   Link #43
otakujohn

Quote:
I was thinking about giving this anime another chance for the sake of the designs, but that quickly left my mind once Lasty, who looks about 13, had her transformation sequence where I think I said "Oh god no."
Whereas I sort of sat there mesmerized by the whole thing. I think I may have even re-watched it a few times....ROFL
otakujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-14, 18:59   Link #44
otakujohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarBhaD
this is just another MAGICAL-GIRLS anime!!! (and I really despise that kind of anime) Oh my god! If I had known, I wouldn't have watched it.
So I guess the seminal Pretty Sammy, Tokyo Mew Mew, and Mao-chan are out of the question eh?
Puni Puni Poemy maybe?
ooh ooh... I know. You might watch Nanaka 6/17 because she just thinks she's a magical girl..
Old 2004-02-14, 21:26   Link #45
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
Anyway, I tryed to be objective. I appraise "Angel Rabbie" because, at least, tries to add new elements to a worn out genre: a post-apocaliptic world, a space station, "mechas", the girl uses different outfits depending on her needs and has "wannabe-martial-arts" fighting. And the music is catchy.
I thought everything you mentioned above was a good, unique addition to the genre--while I'd never say it's the next CCS or anything, Angel Rabbie does have some unique points to distinguish it from the pack, and there are enough open questions at the end of the OVA that I think it'd be an interesting longer series. When you watch enough anime, everything gets derivative of something else (the "clumsy but well meaning and chronically late" heroine is in at least a dozen series). But overall Angel Rabbie was cute and it made me laugh, which is enough to earn it a place on my "buy if it gets to R1 DVD" list.

I liked this and Galaxy Angel, but was bored to death by Bottle Fairies, although I think a lot of people would put all three in the same "cute but lacking substance" category--I guess it goes to show everyone has different tastes, especially when it comes to what's funny.
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-14, 21:37   Link #46
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
...this is just another MAGICAL-GIRLS anime!!!...
Nope, it's just one of those fakes like the Pretty Sami show. Magical girls anime is for girls.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-15, 03:02   Link #47
sothis

anyone know if the tv series is being picked up by anyone? through 6 have already been shown in japan...
sothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-15, 13:21   Link #48
Somedude

Quote:
Originally Posted by sothis
anyone know if the tv series is being picked up by anyone? through 6 have already been shown in japan...
Huh? Either you're confused or I'm confused.

I hadn't heard anything about an active TV series, nor have I been able to find any info on it.
Somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-15, 13:49   Link #49
otakujohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by suguru
bored to death by Bottle Fairies

Bored me right to tears...I tied myself down and forced myself to watch it though...for some odd reason. Same thing with Magical Nyan Nyan Taruto. I think I watched Taruto just for the cute factor alone.

overall, I think Tenbatsu Angel Rabbie was just kind of shallow, pointless anime I needed after getting brain raped by KGNE. Sometimes pointless is good...It's pure guilty pleasure with no commitment. The casual sex of anime if you will.
Old 2004-02-15, 15:11   Link #50
AnimeFangirl

I think pretty much the only thing I really liked about Angel Rabbie was the Tenbatsu song. Apart from there, I didn't really care much for it. It was boring, pointless, totally predictable and not funny at all. However it was mercifully short, I'll give it that. I just wasted 23 minutes of my time on that, I need something better.
Old 2004-02-15, 15:56   Link #51
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I actually like the Angelic Serenade game, but this anime... this is an affront to the game... I can't believe Kogado can made something this awful XD

Galaxy Angel is quite nice on the other hand.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 04:57   Link #52
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
I actually like the Angelic Serenade game, but this anime... this is an affront to the game... I can't believe Kogado can made something this awful XD

Galaxy Angel is quite nice on the other hand.
Have you actually played Magical Twirler Angel Rabbie though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somedude
Huh? Either you're confused or I'm confused.

I hadn't heard anything about an active TV series, nor have I been able to find any info on it.
There's currently rumors of a TV series provided that the OAV did well.
However, there IS a novel coming out for it.
Quote:
GA sure has a bunch of cute girls, but that isn't the reason why it makes you laugh.
Uh... GA's cute girls doing wacky things is what makes me laugh. They're pointless, random actions and contribute almost nothing to some semblance of a plot, but it's amusing and fun to watch.
Quote:
It was the scene where Lasty is mesmorized or something by the stone face. It lasted a few seconds so I assumed it was because of the commercial cut off. Then suddenly she is inside of it (which turns out to be a spaceship) and she is having a dramatic discussion with the dark-skinned girl (I guess that lost angel they were talking about). You weren't the least bit confused, huh?
Erm... she recognized it for what it was (an ancient spaceship similar to the Angel Chamber she launched out of) and then just walked inside? She's not technically having a discussion with the Lukia since it's a projection of Lukia through some sort of computer device (think .hack).
Old 2004-02-16, 21:41   Link #53
dbzgundam
A-Blitz Founder/Encoder

Does anyone else aside from me notice that every release so far hasn't been from the DVD but just a ripped raw?
dbzgundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 21:57   Link #54
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt

Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
I noticed cuz it had the "brought to you by/sponsored by" dialogue in it. What was the beginning about anyways before the title of the anime showed up?
Princess_of_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-17, 00:04   Link #55
AnimeFangirl

I suppose that's what happened in the "War of Magic" thing Rabbie was mumbling about later on. It looked more like a scene from War of the Worlds than anything else. I totally didn't understand that bit: why did it happen, when, what stopped them, etc, etc. In fact, I think it's a crime that such an awful OVA should have such a cute theme song. Tenbatsu! Tenbatsu! Tenbatsu! Tenbatsu!
Old 2004-02-17, 01:30   Link #56
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
I suppose that's what happened in the "War of Magic" thing Rabbie was mumbling about later on. It looked more like a scene from War of the Worlds than anything else. I totally didn't understand that bit: why did it happen, when, what stopped them, etc, etc. In fact, I think it's a crime that such an awful OVA should have such a cute theme song. Tenbatsu! Tenbatsu! Tenbatsu! Tenbatsu!
The story is mentioned on the Tenbatsu webpage. Namely, there was a battle between the Heavens and the Earth, and Elemental Transformation Weapons were used, etc, etc, etc.
Old 2004-02-17, 01:44   Link #57
chickenfeather

Send a message via AIM to chickenfeather
Sigh... I actually like the original version of the ending song... the ova version has rock music drowning out most of it... or mebbe its just my headphones...
chickenfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-17, 01:49   Link #58
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfeather
Sigh... I actually like the original version of the ending song... the ova version has rock music drowning out most of it... or mebbe its just my headphones...
The vocals ARE a bit softer in the OAV version. Especially the Tenbatsu's.
Old 2004-02-25, 00:14   Link #59
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I thought it was pretty cute. She reminded me of Misha from PIta Ten a bit ^-^. I mewan it wasn't bad it was cute I can name some really bad stuff. But hey you like or you don't. I want more
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 19:15   Link #60
The Grand Empathy
The Dark Saviour

I'm driving myself nuts trying to find some place to buy these games... I can't find Magical Twirler Angel Rabbie anywhere nor can I find AS DVD Love Story... The OVA was good, but I really wanna try the games as they look amazing...
The Grand Empathy is offline   Reply With Quote