Notices

Old 2008-01-29, 07:35   Link #21
Jaden

FFV for gameplay, FFX for story and visuals. ^^
Old 2008-01-29, 07:50   Link #22
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

By far FFVII. Storyline was epic and have birth to the best villian in the history of video games. in second place i would say X. Despite its horrible job syncing the dubbing, the storyline was quite interesting and the game play reminded me of my first RPG, Legend of Dragoon. In the most overrated category i think FFXII was the worst i've ever played. bland story, horrible battle system (which they decided to keep for future games to my dismay) and possibly the worst voice acting i've ever seen. In the most underrated category i'll throw my vote to FFX-2. while the "charlie's angels" feel was horrible, i dont think the storyline was completely horrible, plus i really enjoyed the changeable job function during battle.
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 12:58   Link #23
kujoe
from head to heel

Indeed, FF Tactics deserves mention too. Usually I tend to place it under a different category but it's definitely one of the greatest FF games ever made.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 13:04   Link #24
Phantasmagoria
*Author

FF IX, VII, VIII and X.

XII could be the worst out of the current 12.
Phantasmagoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 14:29   Link #25
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

have to say VII was my fav just down to the fact the first time I tried out Knights of the Round Table summon it was just awesome.

VIII I liked alot too, thought it was really nice visually. Maybe down to the FMV of Quistis entering that room got me hooked but I find it a great game over all.

these 2 stood out more for me out of the whole series so far but I do believe XIII will really blow away the mind when it swings around, really can't wait!!!
Old 2008-01-29, 16:53   Link #26
kadenza

for me it was 7, 8 was pretty good
kadenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 17:37   Link #27
p997tt
= Porsche 997 Twin Turbo

FF5, 6, 8 and Tactics.

The others are ok (still haven't played 1, 2, 4, TA and 11) but 12 was the worst.
p997tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 17:59   Link #28
Echoes

FFVII without a doubt. It is most likely my favorite game of all time too, I can't imagine anything topping it. I'll probably play through it again soon, it just never gets old.
Old 2008-01-29, 19:01   Link #29
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
FFVIII for:

-The charismatic characters
-The complexity of the character relationships (once the game hit the middle of the second disc I was officially in love with it),
-The tweakability of the combat system
-The interesting locales (Esthar, Space, Deling City)
-The limit breaks becoming more interactive then just press X and watch attack from FFVII.
-Having more variety in ways to find limit breaks then in FFVII
-The magic refining system that nobody ever seemed to use and instead tried to draw everything
-Stat Junctioning (By fiddling with the system for 3 hours straight I managed to the perfect junction for Squall, netting him 9999 HP, 255 Strength, All other stats in the upper hundreds, 20% Absorption of ALL elemental magic)
-The large amount of sidequests that dwarfed FFVII's
-For just playing taking everything good FFVII managed to accomplish and improving on it in every conceivable way.

And for the record I happen to think FFXII is a breath of fresh air. They finally managed to free the series from the stagnating ATB battle system, which for a time was revolutionary, but is now quickly being outdated with more interesting and interactive combat systems like Tales Of's evolving Flex Range Battle System, and Square's own Kingdom Heart's Action Rpg. The only place I can really enjoy TB or ATB or whatever anymore is in strategy games or if it adds one hell of an interactive element. Just so I'm not just sitting there moving the cursor and pressing X occasionally.

My least favourite has to be FFII for being a pure stat grinder and an absolute chore to play.

In fact if I had to rank them in order from favourite to least favourite it would go. VIII, VI, IX, VI, IV, V, XII, X, III, VII, I, II, X-2, XI

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2008-02-08 at 16:51.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 23:45   Link #30
mcruz1014
Eye Have You

Send a message via Yahoo to mcruz1014
Just to give everyone a little more food for thought......

If they were to remake one FF game using updated graphics on a current gen (ps3, 360) system as well as voice acting to go along with the dialogue, which game would you choose?
mcruz1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 23:49   Link #31
bobjoemac

Tactics, 4, 6 in that order
bobjoemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 00:18   Link #32
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
By far FFVII. Storyline was epic and have birth to the best villian in the history of video games. in second place i would say X. Despite its horrible job syncing the dubbing, the storyline was quite interesting and the game play reminded me of my first RPG, Legend of Dragoon. In the most overrated category i think FFXII was the worst i've ever played. bland story, horrible battle system (which they decided to keep for future games to my dismay) and possibly the worst voice acting i've ever seen. In the most underrated category i'll throw my vote to FFX-2. while the "charlie's angels" feel was horrible, i dont think the storyline was completely horrible, plus i really enjoyed the changeable job function during battle.
I have to disagree with you on the battle system--I remember in a game called Seiken Densetsu 3, the system was a much cruder version of the gambit system since it was a real time battle, but you could only control one character at a time. The battle system wasn't what was wrong with FFXII but the sheer monotony of crawl through a 10 hour dungeon fighting bland monsters and get a piece of your bland story (and bear in mind a story is supposed to be the lifeblood of a FF) every once in FAR too long.

FFXIII I think will be far faster paced so the gambit system can work out, and if it's the FFVII and FFX teams combined working on it, then holy fucking shit.

Plus, FFXIII is on pace to be another "O_O" game...FFVII needs no explanation, FFX would have been that if not for FFVII, and FFXIII I hope will be the one to *dethrone* FFVII.
Old 2008-01-30, 01:18   Link #33
p997tt
= Porsche 997 Twin Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcruz1014 View Post
Just to give everyone a little more food for thought......

If they were to remake one FF game using updated graphics on a current gen (ps3, 360) system as well as voice acting to go along with the dialogue, which game would you choose?
FF6 without a doubt. Then FF5.

I also wouldn't really mind if either of these games have a remake on the DS, just like FF3 DS.
p997tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 15:13   Link #34
Snuffle
likes cute things

Remakes? Just give me all from the snes era. I liked ff4 for the characters. Liked ff for the job system (damn I just love that system, also made me play fft about 4 times O_O). And ff6 for well, originality. eg: blitz, tools, etc.

Speaking of ff6, I just started playing the GBA version of it, and damn... the retranslated script is so darn noticeable!

BTW, I hate the blocky remakes on DS >_>
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 17:39   Link #35
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Speaking of ff6, I just started playing the GBA version of it, and damn... the retranslated script is so darn noticeable!
And so much better. The FFVI translation (well, almost any translation from the 90's, to be honest) sucked. A lot.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 18:51   Link #36
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcruz1014 View Post
I know that VII usually gets all the fanboy votes when this question is asked but, having started replaying VI recently, that would get my vote. The characters and story in VI are really quite well-developed; it would be nice to see them in a non-chibi world. The only thing I find annoying about VI is the frequency of random encounters. On the PS/2, it takes a while to switch between the field and battle modes, not to mention the eternity it takes to enter the menu. I always enjoy games more when I can obtain an item or accessory that reduces the encounter rate early in the game so I can control when I need to level and when I need to explore. I think the developers generally tend to overestimate players' interest in battling, but maybe no longer being an adolescent boy colors my view.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 07:33   Link #37
Leon_Lelouch
ミシャだけ

Never play VI....
So I guess I'll vote for VII and VIII....
Leon_Lelouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 14:52   Link #38
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon_Lelouch View Post
Never play VI....
Huh? um.... huh???? I gotta ask, how come you never played it? Did it not appeal to you? Don't misunderstand btw, I'm not implying that ff6 is my fav and it's a must play. I'm just saying it's worth playing so why not try it.
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 16:32   Link #39
Blaat

VI, even though I've never finished with it
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 19:50   Link #40
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
Huh? um.... huh???? I gotta ask, how come you never played it? Did it not appeal to you? Don't misunderstand btw, I'm not implying that ff6 is my fav and it's a must play. I'm just saying it's worth playing so why not try it.
The reason could be one or the other. But it's nice knowing that FFVI is still recognized even today.

It's understandable that we all have our faves and dislikes in a line of games as long as Final Fantasy's. For example, I love FFIX and pretty much dislike FFVIII for a bunch of reasons (don't even get me started...), while others would feel the exact opposite.

But I also wish that SE would take a look back at their older stuff and try to recapture that old magic, or attempt to remake these classics for the present. Then again, from a nostalgic standpoint, they're already fine the way they are.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote