AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-03-20, 23:41   Link #1
game4life

Dragonball Z discussion

i was going to purchase all episode but it says that they only have 1-173episode dubbed... do the subbed one was 1-291 episode? just to make sure before i buy one
game4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-21, 01:49   Link #2
outlaw55
Banned

First off there is NO subbed only DVD, where are you buying from?
outlaw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-21, 05:35   Link #3
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

The only sub-only DVDs that are out are Illegal HK Bootlegs. They're terrible.

go to www.daizex.com, and check the DVD guide. It will give you a good idea on whats out, and whats coming out.

Thanks.
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-21, 15:06   Link #4
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

if a dvd came with only dubs, I wouldnt buy em since imo the japanese voice acting is a lot better than american but to be on topic the ones you are buying seems like bootlegs to me so I advise you fully check it out before buying anymore.
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-21, 18:23   Link #5
Tabiree

Only Australian DVDs are dub-only, and thats for eps 1-194 (US numbers)
Old 2004-03-21, 22:41   Link #6
game4life

i mean, the funimation DVD. u can buy the DBZ that has uncut english and original Japanese language versions that says on the label right? but does the japanese version on it has 291 episode? Like This one:
game4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-22, 01:30   Link #7
Tabiree

All of the FUNimation DVDs have optional English and Japanese versions, and all DVDs (except certian movie DVDs which have optional edited versions) are Uncut, with subtitles.

Pioneer(except movies 1-3), and Kidmark DVDs are edited, english only.

Chinese release is Chinese dub, Japanese Audio, and Chinese subtitles.

Australian release for the first two-thirds of the series are uncut/edited, and english only. Rest is uncut and Bilingual.

French release - no idea

Japanese release, Two very ;lage 26 disc sets, which come with Kaiyodoo-made action figures, specials discs, no subtitles, Japanese audio, and a guidebook in each set.
Old 2004-03-23, 01:58   Link #8
outlaw55
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
if a dvd came with only dubs, I wouldnt buy em since imo the japanese voice acting is a lot better than american but to be on topic the ones you are buying seems like bootlegs to me so I advise you fully check it out before buying anymore.
Are you on CRACK, ok, i'm not saying the english voices were great, but the japanese voices for DBZ were just FLAT HORRIBLE!!!
outlaw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-23, 02:48   Link #9
Tabiree

What exactly was wrong with the Japanese voices, for you at very least?
Old 2004-03-24, 16:22   Link #10
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

umm i wasnt really talking about DBZ voice acting. I was talking about voice acting in general. But if you still think im on crack fine that watever u r entitled to ur own opinion.
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-24, 16:47   Link #11
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by game4life
i was going to purchase all episode but it says that they only have 1-173episode dubbed... do the subbed one was 1-291 episode? just to make sure before i buy one
Actualy only the DVDs from Ginyu (episode 54) and up features the English sub and original voice.
NO others feature the English sub from the beginning to episode 53. All thoses DVD's that were realese earlier then that episode, does not have the japanese voice and sub option. Only English Dub and "CUT".

I tried to find those previous subbed episode 1/53 like everywhere but there's nothing realy as far as I know. I was ready to pay a lot for those but even my Hong Kong contact for those "extra cheap" subs as return empty hands.. And to complicate things the Federal autorities are all over my China Town looking for illigal subs!! HAArrg!..

Edit: BTW I thought All those Funimation DVD's were discontinued?
Old 2004-03-24, 18:36   Link #12
Icer

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw55
Are you on CRACK, ok, i'm not saying the english voices were great, but the japanese voices for DBZ were just FLAT HORRIBLE!!!
Whatever, that's your opinion.
I think the Japanese dub was fine, for all characters. And that the FUNi dub is horrible.
Icer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-24, 23:26   Link #13
Tabiree

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJOS'STAR
Actualy only the DVDs from Ginyu (episode 54) and up features the English sub and original voice.
NO others feature the English sub from the beginning to episode 53. All thoses DVD's that were realese earlier then that episode, does not have the japanese voice and sub option. Only English Dub and "CUT".

I tried to find those previous subbed episode 1/53 like everywhere but there's nothing realy as far as I know. I was ready to pay a lot for those but even my Hong Kong contact for those "extra cheap" subs as return empty hands.. And to complicate things the Federal autorities are all over my China Town looking for illigal subs!! HAArrg!..

Edit: BTW I thought All those Funimation DVD's were discontinued?

FUNimation now have home video rights to those episodes, and will be releasing them Uncut and Bilingual after GT

And correction, they dont have all of Cell games out, and Great Saiyaman isn't out yet.
Old 2004-12-21, 19:56   Link #14
jimmy_1

Dragon Ball Z Japanese Uncut, where can I buy it?

Anyone who knows where I can order Dragon Ball Z the original version? The version who has 291 eps. and not 276. I've watched the Funimation version, and will buy the Japanese version, but don't know where to buy it. If someone knows where I can order it please PM or reply here. I've found a few sites who sells DBZ with Japanese audio and English sub, but I think it's fake, not that I mind it if it's good quality and readable sub. Well, please tell if you know
jimmy_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-21, 20:44   Link #15
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_1
Anyone who knows where I can order Dragon Ball Z the original version? The version who has 291 eps. and not 276. I've watched the Funimation version, and will buy the Japanese version, but don't know where to buy it. If someone knows where I can order it please PM or reply here. I've found a few sites who sells DBZ with Japanese audio and English sub, but I think it's fake, not that I mind it if it's good quality and readable sub. Well, please tell if you know
Funi sells both editted and uncut dbz. The one that's bilingual is the uncut version. The english only is the editted. You should be able to get dbz dvds just about anywhere, just make sure it's the correct version. However, pioneer originally had the license to the first season of dbz, which so far hasn't been re-released by funi uncut. Could these be the missing episodes you speak of?
Old 2004-12-22, 04:58   Link #16
jimmy_1

So Funimation sells the uncut japanese version with 291 episodes and the american version with 276 episodes?

No, the first season isn't the lost episodes I'm looking for, since funimation edits almost every show they get, they made the american version shorter than the japanese.

I thought they hadn't released the japanese uncut version with english voices, or have they?
Old 2004-12-22, 05:09   Link #17
Gevurah
What you say?!?!

Toei actually released a box set of the entire Dragonball (DB & DBZ) R1 DVDs in Japan last year. The entire series I believe was almost 400 episodes long and was split in two. One set contained 1-200 and the other contained the rest. Each was $800 US. Of course, they were digitally remastered and whatnot, with english subtitles from what I understand. If you're really into DB then look it up. But if not, you'll just have to stick with Funi's.

Personally, I'd like to get my hands on that set.

"I appear to be a plushie, but my heart is that of a wolf." - Kon
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 08:20   Link #18
jimmy_1

800$ is alot of money for DB/Z.. and without english sub too.. well, then I'm stuck with the Funimation then..
Old 2004-12-22, 08:49   Link #19
Tabiree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gevurah
Toei actually released a box set of the entire Dragonball (DB & DBZ) R1 DVDs in Japan last year. The entire series I believe was almost 400 episodes long and was split in two. One set contained 1-200 and the other contained the rest. Each was $800 US. Of course, they were digitally remastered and whatnot, with english subtitles from what I understand. If you're really into DB then look it up. But if not, you'll just have to stick with Funi's.

Personally, I'd like to get my hands on that set.
There were actually 3 sets, each containing 26 Region 2 DVDs.

The first two sets contained 147 and 144 episodes respectively, with the Bardock Special and various international clips/adverts appearing on the first set, and the Trunks Special and PLaydia Animation (with both endings) appearing on the second set. Both sets came with Action Figures from Kaiyodoo (the people who made all of those awesome Evangelion toys and Trigun toys, etc), first one being Goku, second being Piccolo, and they came with replaceable parts (Super Saiyan Goku head, Piccolo Cape) These were released in March (I think?) and September of 2003, costing 105,000 yen each at full retail price.

The third one, released in July of 2004, contained 153 episodes of Dragonball, along with edited English dub scenes and two Japanese educational clips, with dragonball characters dealing with crossing the road, and preventing fires. It also came with a special "Tenkai-ichi Budokai" Daiorama designed by Akira Toriyama, which came with Piccolo, two Goku's, Jackie Chun, Krillen etc. Very nice stuff. This was also 105,000 yen.

These previous 3 sets also came with "Dragonbooks", which contained (in Japanese only) episode guides, staff/cast/toriyama interviews, and other fun info. They are supposedly limited to 10,000 units each, but I wouldn't have any proof of that.

A third set, for Dragonball GT, is coming out in May next year. 50,000 yen I think, 11 discs with the GT special, un-named extras, all 64 episodes and a "Dragon-radar" DVD remote control.

All of the sets contain remastered video from Japanese masters, aswell as slightly better (but still mono) audio. They also all contain the Japanese episode previews that weren't available on the R1 release, aswell as newly commisioned art from Toriyama himself.

I can't wait for the GT box and subsequent translation of the Dragonbook, so we can have a verifiable source on what he thought about GT.

ALSO, LIKE OTHER r2 DVDs, THESE DO NOT CONTAIN ENGLISH SUBTITLES

also, http://www.jumpland.com/dragonbox_gt/his/his.html

ALSO, I managed to miss the point of the original question, which was in regards to FUNimations DVD release.

FUNimation's version, consisting of 276 epsiodes, is basically intermingled with the original 291 due to Saban's interferance on the first two seasons of DBZ in the states. Basically, whatever number FUNimation uses, add the number 15, and you get the Japanese episode for it.

But yeah, a rule of thumb is that FUNimation's current DVDs have Japanese and English tracks on them. Kidmark and Pioneer DVDs dont, but you'd have a hard time finding them so don't worry about them.
Old 2004-12-22, 09:50   Link #20
Gevurah
What you say?!?!

Perfect! Not only would that kill my DB thirst, I would also get to see Vegeta saying, "Only you can prevent forest fires, kusotare!!!"

Never did I think I'd see the day...

"I appear to be a plushie, but my heart is that of a wolf." - Kon
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shonen