MetalCookie

Tron: Legacy

The original one was cool, but this one was AWE-SOME! 8D
Old 2010-12-28, 06:56   Link #422
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Easy A
... I didn't really like it. Had some good ideas, but the characters and humor were way too flat imo. I was kinda bored.
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-28, 10:44   Link #423
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The Secret of Kells, probably one of the best non-anime animated films I've seen in quite a while.
Quote:
Young Brendan lives in a remote medieval outpost under siege from barbarian raids. But a new life of adventure beckons when a celebrated master illuminator arrives from foreign lands carrying an ancient but unfinished book, brimming with secret wisdom and powers. To help complete the magical book, Brendan has to overcome his deepest fears on a dangerous quest that takes him into the enchanted forest where mythical creatures hide. It is here that he meets the fairy Aisling, a mysterious young wolf-girl, who helps him along the way. But with the barbarians closing in, will Brendan's determination and artistic vision illuminate the darkness and show that enlightenment is the best fortification against evil?
Extra points for the wolf-girl fairy but especially for representing the way the Bible may have appeared to pagan-raised eyes as a "magical book".
Old 2010-12-28, 17:25   Link #424
james0246

^Kells and Coraline were the best animated features of last year. Sadly Pixar is so popular, the general populace doesn't even attempt to find these beautiful features, preferring to settle for a good film (Up) rather than taking the effort to find a great film(s)...

Sorry, my Pixar annoyance is growing ever larger as time goes by ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
And 'Edge of Darkness' with Mel Gibson; it's a good "who done it" movie, but a little slow. But is probably more truthful about big business and Big Brother than many would care to admit.
I doubt you'd like it (since you thought the Gibson version was slow), but the original BBC serials from the mid-80s are one of the best dramatic serials I have ever seen. As a side point, the series director is also the director of the Gibson film...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-28, 18:05   Link #425
Lost Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^Kells and Coraline were the best animated features of last year. Sadly Pixar is so popular, the general populace doesn't even attempt to find these beautiful features, preferring to settle for a good film (Up) rather than taking the effort to find a great film(s)...

Sorry, my Pixar annoyance is growing ever larger as time goes by ...

I doubt you'd like it (since you thought the Gibson version was slow), but the original BBC serials from the mid-80s are one of the best dramatic serials I have ever seen. As a side point, the series director is also the director of the Gibson film...
Well maybe not so much slow but rather drawn out in getting to the climax. Truth be told I rather enjoy various British series like; Doctor Who, Red Dwarf, The Black Adder, and the Wire. So I might have to find this one next time I'm out at the Video Store!
Oh and you may thank PBS fir my affection for British TV.

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-28, 19:47   Link #426
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Just saw Babylon A.D(it was film4 and I had nothing better to do than waste my time) and all I can say is ".................just what the hell did I waste my time watching?!"
I really do want my time back, I knew I should have stopped watching but I just thought that it had some sorta crazy twist to come but it never did.
And no just cause it got me watching the whole thing it's not a good movie it's totally crap and wish I never turned on the telly tonight>_<

I would have had a better time watching the re-runs of Mock the Week on Dave than watch that crap.
Old 2010-12-28, 23:21   Link #427
Lost Cause

So James you say your tired of Pixar? Well then I highly recommend 'Despicable Me'!
This movie is an absolute RIOT! I loved it and want my own "minions"!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 12:57   Link #428
FireChick

The movie I saw most recently was the Temple Grandin movie. I do like it, but I do feel that Claire Danes gets a bit loud and grating at points. *forgive me, Danes fans!*
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-03, 12:08   Link #429
elniro

Send a message via MSN to elniro
Saw Indian film "3 idiots" couple nights ago, normally I cant stand Bollywood films, but this have to say was a damn good film. The Cinematography is lot more western familiar and it really doesnt feel like your watching a Bollywood movie (there were 2 music video scenes though, lot less than normal, 1st one was acutally decent, 2nd i just skipped).
elniro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-03, 16:22   Link #430
Lady Aranel

I have watched soo many films over Christmas! Today I watched Miss Potter... which I originally put on for background boredom - then found myself fixated and - dare I say it - sobbing at the storyline. I never cry at films!

(Edit: Oh. I did cry another time watching Spirit - Stallion Of The Cimarron. Hmm.)
Lady Aranel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-03, 17:07   Link #431
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
There's a couple of movies I saw over the holidays so I'll start from the first one.

Chronicles of Narnia: this was actually pretty good overall. I haven't seen any of the other movies apart from the first, I admit, so my pov as far as the plot goes is a little ignorant but I really enjoyed that part of the movie. It caught my attention from the beginning and it only got better as it went along. It was very easy to get a feel for the characters and relate to them and their struggle against their dark desires throughout the story. It was fun ot watch overall for the action and the characters really brought the movie along well. The other thing I was satisfied with were the amazing visuals, and what's even better was that they didn't take up the entire movie like others these days. This gets 8/10 from me.

Little Fockers: This was a pretty funny movie which had me laughing several times. The jibes between Greg and Jack are always fun to watch. The fact that story progressed to Greg's married life and children also added something new to the story compared to the previous movies and it didn't fail to deliver. My only gripe is that it still didn't have the sense of novelty that the previous movies did. Also, the references to modern technology and how Jack wasn't really getting used to them is beyond me when he was the one with a hidden control room in his van in the previous movie. I'd have thought he would be up to speed with cell phones and google. Apart from that, this was also fun to watch. This gets a 7/10

Megamind: This movie was actually much better than I expected, and it touched on something that people don't really explore very often. The question that gets brought up very early in the morning is: what does a bad guy do after he wins against all expectations? It shows how a character who was devout on doing evil succeeds against all expectations and ends up no longer finding a purpose in doing evil, eventually discovering a side to himself he did not know. Very interesting to watch and quite fun. This also gets an 8/10 from me.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-03, 17:48   Link #432
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Watched Tron: Legacy yesterday.... it was fairly pretty and nice integration of music with visuals. Lots of nice detail touches you'd notice if you watched the first one recently. Olivia Wilde is utter eye candy with those eyes. Got an extra laugh from Flynn saying his line about "You are messing with my zen here" as that is one of *my* lines in life. The movie didn't drag though (oddly) I thought the ending was a bit anti-climactic.

And yes... there are aircraft carrier sized plot holes that you shouldn't examine too closely as well as too many whiffs of the Matrix and Star Wars moments.

The main complaint I'll file is that the writers did not understand their topic that well and missed many opportunities.

Spoiler for content critique requires spoilage:

I saw it as the local first showing matinee prices so I felt like I got a fair bargain for the price.
Old 2011-01-03, 17:48   Link #433
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Send a message via AIM to Flinch Send a message via MSN to Flinch
Watched the re-make of True Grit. I must say, the little things that were changed in the new one made it a better movie, primarily that it depicted the archetypes more accurately than they were in the original.
Old 2011-01-03, 20:28   Link #434
Knightrunner

Night and Day Extremely good movie if you need time to kill and like action and comedy.
Old 2011-01-03, 21:31   Link #435
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Ong Bak 3

Wow ... honestly i didn't like it at all... 1st one was great , 2nd okay but the third is omg...
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-03, 22:47   Link #436
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Get Him to the Greek

Sooo funny! if you need to watch comedy watch this one. Its one of the Best comedy Movies of 2010!
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-03, 23:02   Link #437
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
The movie I saw most recently was the Temple Grandin movie. I do like it, but I do feel that Claire Danes gets a bit loud and grating at points. *forgive me, Danes fans!*
I watched the movie with one of Temple's cousins. He thought Danes captured her remarkably well. Temple herself apparently also endorsed Danes's performance.

From what I'm told, Temple can be that "loud and grating" in real life. She'd probably agree with that assessment, too!

I've never had the opportunity to meet her myself; she certainly is a remarkable person.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 20:52   Link #438
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Alpha And Omega. Not an incredibly good movie, but still very cute and enjoyable.
Old 2011-01-11, 23:43   Link #439
qwertyuiopz

is black swan any good? was supposed to watch last week
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 23:46   Link #440
Asuras
Dictadere~!

The Hangover. Inappropriately funny, but hey, when you're this age, what else is funny?

Tags
live-action, movie, movies