AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-03, 13:13   Link #1241
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
My personal theory as to why form fitting space suits, wetsuits and catsuits look so appealing is because the human eye is naturally drawn to long, sleek things, and the human mind considers such to be highly appealing. Look at the many long, sleek cars, ships, planes, blades, what have you.

Thus, the reason humans find latex space suits to be so sexy is hardwired into the brain, as it gives off an impression of a long, smooth, sleek shape that is aesthetically pleasing to the mind.

As well as teasing to the nakedness of said body wearing the suit.
I'd agree with that theory. Maybe that's another reason they went with non-gravity defying miniskirts instead of "they're practically naked" space suits. I still think the writers are being classy with this show
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-03, 14:12   Link #1242
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Dark Pirate Queen Chiaki
Old 2012-03-03, 15:27   Link #1243
00Coyote

This was a fun episode.
Spoiler for Random thoughs for ep 9:
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-03, 17:06   Link #1244
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
This was a fun episode.
Spoiler for Random thoughs for ep 9:
Yes, it was quite a fun episode. The English version of the official site for the anime has her name as "Gruelle" so that's what I'm going to go with since Crunchyroll has had a few errors with their subs already(the notorious Bicentenary fiasco of Episode 7 which has since been fixed).

Spoiler for Gruelle:

It was also nice to see Marika with the office lady look. I certainly approve of that. Of course, I loved seeing Chiaki again along with Jenny and Lynn who are still awesome. Looks like the everybody calls her Chiaki-chan now. She is quite adorable when she's tsundere, isn't she? I do wonder what she meant by, she's not into that kind of thing when Marika invited her to visit the princess. She's not into: lolis? princesses? other girls?( we know that's a lie), George Lucas? (OK, had to put that in as a joke. At least Marika and Chiaki have much better chemistry than Anakin and Padme).

Spoiler for Jenny, Lynn and Chiaki-chan:

Loving how Marika is getting more used to being in charge and her being able to assert herself as Captain of the Bentenmaru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
Spoiler for New Characters:

Edit: Ehh!? They skipped the part where Jenny plays with Chiaki-chan's hair, and holds her hand for quite a while (iirc) , and many more
Spoiler for Next week::
Jotoff looks like a cool old guy. So does Oyaji-san. Wow, they cut out my waifu Jenny playing with Chiaki-chan's hair? Vader says No. Although I loved Chiaki's curtsy. Now that is fanservice!
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-03, 17:28   Link #1245
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Lol Gruier cosplaying as Marika. Looks like Chiaki tries it on next week. Interesting that Chiaki's ship is also looking for the ghost ship. Wonder who the client is.
Old 2012-03-03, 18:45   Link #1246
Stevie_Nix
Longtime Lurker

Excellent episode this week. Marika got her much needed does of Chiaki tsundere goodness. Jenny's plan is exactly what I have come to expect from her. Hopefully soon Jenny, Lynn and the rest of the Yacht Club will join Marika in space.
Old 2012-03-03, 19:26   Link #1247
X10A_Freedom

I'm following two series at the moment and it happens to be a double Saturday. I have slowly come to like Mouretsu even more. I am liking the way the light fluff fits in very naturally into the serious parts of the storyline and the club room scene was a testament to that. Heck, I decided to watch Mouretsu first instead of Nisemonogatari because of the former's captivating depth and substance.

For me, the most notable this week was finding out much, much more about Jenny's character. She's highly rich, and intelligent but seemed like a bit of a lost princess when brown stuff hits the roof (when the Odette was being fired upon). This week, we saw how smart, connected, assertive and adaptable she is. I would love to find out more in time why Jenny's stats are through the roof, according to the data the crew of Bentenmaru has!

The ED song seems to herald the end of the current arc, and a venture into a darker, and more sinister territory. I have concern for Marika x Chiaki's relationship amidst all the politics. At the end of the day, the Barbarossa and Bentenmaru are privateers flying the same flag so I hope things don't become strained and emotional ala Gundam SEED. I used to like the emotional rollercoaster but I'm no longer searching for new ones. I really like how I can just sit back, chill and let the fascinating story unfold in Mouretsu without getting "involved" and hope it continues this way.
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com
X10A_Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-03, 21:01   Link #1248
Random Wanderer

If the chamberlain's comments of "everything is perfectly and utterly fine at the palace, don't worry about anything" weren't carrying hidden layers of meaning for the Princess I will be very shocked.

Ara, Chiaki's ship may be competing with the Bentenmaru for this contract? That won't do at all.

JENNY! Heh. I'm not surprised she's able to deal with the Princess much better than most of the students. Training to deal with people on that level has probably been part of her life ever since she first learned to talk.

Mami... what sort of tales are you telling now? Even if it's true that the yacht club has a full roster of people with unusual skills, you should be careful what sort of rumors you spread, you know?

Heh. The club's reaction to the Princess is great. And the Princess was delighted to have so many people calling her by her first name. Reminds me of Lafiel, a bit.

Hmm... Interesting info about the ship. I wonder why people want it?

New music for the ending? And snapshots of the episodes thus far. I guess this is meant to be a significant point in the story.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-03, 21:28   Link #1249
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
I know it's been said before but there needs to be a crossover OVA where the jersey club and the yacht club team up together and kick ass !

I really wonder if chiaki's tsundereness can be partly explained by the fact she might not want to get attached to someone she might have to fight against.

I guess the "ghost ship arc" is officialy underway, the ED of this episode was the song used in the PV sung by Marika's Seiyuu.Is it a one time thing to mark the occasion or are we getting a new ED next week?
Old 2012-03-03, 23:28   Link #1250
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
Edit: Ehh!? They skipped the part where Jenny plays with Chiaki-chan's hair, and holds her hand for quite a while (iirc) , and many more
That's it, I'm shipping Chiaki x Jenny. I mean, they're the two coolest characters in the show, and we already know Jenny likes her women butch...
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-03, 23:30   Link #1251
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Spoiler for Nyantype scan, NSFW-ish:
Very nice bikini there, but not one bit nsfw. I've seen quite other bikinis which *would* qualify as nsfw, but this one is just a quite ordinary (albeit nice) one.

On the topic of the skirts: if they didn't want to show the girl's pantsu, they either shouldn't have put them in situations where you normally *would* see pantsu (like a zero g environment), or have them wear space suits flying around in zero g, which don't have skirts that can flap and reveal pantsu.

That they *did* put the girls into those situations where you normally would see pantsu, but you actually don't, because the skirts seem to be made of lead or something, is nothing but extreme laziness on the side of the animators!
"Actually, the skirts should be flapping around here, but nah... we're too damn lazy to animate it properly. So what if the skirts look as if they're made of lead, the viewers are too stupid to notice it anyway."

You're all totally missing the point here. This is not about showing fanservice or not. This is about the animators being lazy bums and doing shoddy animations, nothing else!

If the animation in fanservice shows like High School DxD is sometimes not that great, it's not that bad, because you watch it for the fanservice, and not to say: "Oh, look at the great animation quality!"

However, with a show which doesn't have any fanservice (the split-second Chiaki shot in ep. 1 doesn't count) and which thus lives off plot and animation quality like Mouretsu, good animation quality is far more important. If you watch it and then have to say, "Oh no, sometimes the animation quality really sucks because the animators were lazy bums and did a shoddy job!", then it's a serious flaw indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
The fact itself that the girls are wearing skirts and not spacesuit could be considered fan service.

Afterall girls in skirts are a lot nicer to look at than girls in spacesuit right?
No, that really can't be considered fanservice. Many would prefer girls in sleek, form-fitting spacesuits over girls in skirts
In Marika's time, they certainly don't have those clunky, unwieldy spacesuits currently used by the Nasa anymore.
Old 2012-03-03, 23:30   Link #1252
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
That's it, I'm shipping Chiaki x Jenny. I mean, they're the two coolest characters in the show, and we already know Jenny likes her women butch...
Your first sentence contradicts the second half of your second sentence. Chiaki is not butch. At all.
Old 2012-03-03, 23:38   Link #1253
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
In Marika's time, they certainly don't have those clunky, unwieldy spacesuits currently used by the Nasa anymore.
Have you seen the suit Chiaki is wearing in the ED? , looks pretty NASAish to me.

Though yeah,I know that one is for outdoor exploration but still,I've seen sexier in other shows.

Even if I couldn't care less about the whole no pantsu shown situation ,I can see where you're coming from and don't really find your position ridiculous as others have said.
That being said I don't really like it when people start going around and calling animators lazy,I'm pretty darn sure that even if the wanted to animate the skirts realisticly they just wouldn't have the production time to do it properly,not without having to overlook something else that is probably much more important.

edit: And of course if the show chooses to have no fanservice there'd be something other than panties under those skirts.

Last edited by totoum; 2012-03-03 at 23:56.
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-03, 23:39   Link #1254
Random Wanderer

Quote:
On the topic of the skirts: if they didn't want to show the girl's pantsu, they either shouldn't have put them in situations where you normally *would* see pantsu (like a zero g environment), or have them wear space suits flying around in zero g, which don't have skirts that can flap and reveal pantsu.

That they *did* put the girls into those situations where you normally would see pantsu, but you actually don't, because the skirts seem to be made of lead or something, is nothing but extreme laziness on the side of the animators!
"Actually, the skirts should be flapping around here, but nah... we're too damn lazy to animate it properly. So what if the skirts look as if they're made of lead, the viewers are too stupid to notice it anyway."

You're all totally missing the point here. This is not about showing fanservice or not. This is about the animators being lazy bums and doing shoddy animations, nothing else!
So they should alter the story because some whiners can't stand that they don't reveal the girls panties? It's not "lazy animation" it's deliberately NOT turning this into a fanservice show. And anyone who wasn't hung up on wanting to peek at the girls' unmentionables, no matter what excuses said people might make for themselves, would be GRATEFUL to the animators for having the intelligence to NOT RUIN THE SHOW with that sort of juvenile pandering. IT DOESN'T BELONG HERE, and they KNEW that.
Old 2012-03-03, 23:52   Link #1255
Kyuu
=^^=

Gosh dang. Somehow, this episode gave me goosebumps and tears. In any case, the first half shows how to win a fight - without actually fighting. LIKE A BOSS.

And I quote Marika: "Space pirates are the good guys."

Quote:
Chiaki is not butch. At all.
Aye. Show Chiaki a parfait - and she'll be the girliest girlies of all the girls.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-03, 23:54   Link #1256
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
So they should alter the story because some whiners can't stand that they don't reveal the girls panties?
He's not saying that he wants the show to have fanservice.He's saying that if the show chooses to have no fanservice it should do so by having the girls wear full suits instead of having skirts that defy the laws of physics.

I really personaly don't care but I can understand him,you're making him sound like some pervert that wants his dose of pantsu but that's not the case.
Old 2012-03-04, 00:09   Link #1257
Random Wanderer

Quote:
He's not saying that he wants the show to have fanservice.He's saying that if the show chooses to have no fanservice it should do so by having the girls wear full suits instead of having skirts that defy the laws of physics.

I really personaly don't care but I can understand him,you're making him sound like some pervert that wants his dose of pantsu but that's not the case.
I'm saying I don't believe him. A person who's watching this because they appreciate the harder approach to science fiction that it's taking would recognize that flashing panties due to zero-g would ruin the atmosphere of the show. It's a necessary deviation from reality to preserve the proper mood. Folks should be happy that they included zero-g at all rather than whining about details that are not only not necessary, but which make the whiner sound like a pervert. Which it does. However they seek to justify it, they're arguing that they want to see the girls' panties. There's no way for that to not sound perverted.

Also, the story was written before anyone conceived of turning it into an anime. Changing the story to have the girls wearing spacesuits when they weren't originally, or having gravity when there wasn't, would be a greater violation, in my opinion.

And if you want science, here's a bit for you. Suits have limited oxygen. That's not exactly a good thing for a multi-day trip. Another reason, aside from not screwing more with the source material, why the girls wouldn't be wearing full spacesuits all the time.
Old 2012-03-04, 00:10   Link #1258
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Your first sentence contradicts the second half of your second sentence. Chiaki is not butch. At all.
True, Chiaki is definitely *not* butch. She really delivers with her overknee socks
I hope she'll have a good bit of screentime again in ep. 9

Quote:
So they should alter the story because some whiners can't stand that they don't reveal the girls panties? It's not "lazy animation" it's deliberately NOT turning this into a fanservice show. ...
<snip rest of the totally pointless rant>
I see you didn't even take the effort to read what I wrote, but instead went off on a totally unrelated rant about how much you hate fanservice

So I'll write it again here, in the hope you'll read it now.
This is *not* about fanservice! If they didn't want to have fanservice, they could have easily avoided all situations in which there usually would be fanservice, like e.g. girls with skirts in zero g.

- They could've said: "There's artificial gravity on the ship, so the girl's skirts don't flap." Star Trek has artificial gravity as well without rotating the ship, so why not here?
- Or they could've put the girls in sleek, form-fitting space suits instead of skirts. Bonus points for realism, which you don't see too often here. No skirts, no chance for skirts to flip in zero g. No one would've complained about that.

But no, they *deliberately* let the girls wear skirts, and then deliberately put the girls with skirts in a zero g environment, where their skirts would end up flapping. Then however, they were simply *too lazy* to properly animate the skirts properly, so they look like they're made out of lead.

As I said, the situation could've been easily avoided. That they *didn't* avoid it however and then were just too lazy to animate things properly, is nothing but shoddy work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
He's not saying that he wants the show to have fanservice. He's saying that if the show chooses to have no fanservice it should do so by having the girls wear full suits instead of having skirts that defy the laws of physics.

Good to see that someone understood it.

Quote:
Also, the story was written before anyone conceived of turning it into an anime. Changing the story to have the girls wearing spacesuits when they weren't originally, or having gravity when there wasn't, would be a greater violation, in my opinion.
Nonsense again
I seriously doubt that the story said something like: "The girl's skirts are made of lead, so they must not flip in zero g."
Old 2012-03-04, 00:18   Link #1259
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
Nonsense again
I seriously doubt that the story said something like: "The girl's skirts are made of lead, so they must not flip in zero g."
The story was written with them wearing skirts. You have heard of the original novels? Miniskirt Space Pirates?

Last edited by Random Wanderer; 2012-03-04 at 00:34.
Old 2012-03-04, 00:28   Link #1260
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
The story was written with them wearing skirts. You have heard of the original novels? Miniskirt Space Pirates?
Do *you* have heard that the title has been changed to Mouretsu, so the focus is not on the skirts anymore?

I'm quite sure that, at no point in the novel, it says that the girl's skirts are made of lead, and thus they mustn't flip in zero g. But hey, perhaps that's wrong, and you can show me the part in the novels where it *does* say so. I'm waiting

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri