AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2007-06-30, 20:56   Link #341
Mr VacBob
yotsuba channel

Send a message via AIM to Mr VacBob
It probably is a difference in interpreting the font data, but Perian doesn't use freetype or any of the same source, so I guess whatever made it ignores the specifications in some Windows-compatible way?

The space thing is probably because something has so much negative kerning it moves the space behind the previous character...

Well, I guess I'll find some font validators and add it to my growing list of OS X bug reports.
Old 2007-07-01, 08:17   Link #342
Aegelward

So, i have previously been using one of the beta versions of perian (1.0b2 specifically) which supported softsubs perfectly, but it appears that in the 1.0 release this functionality isn't working, and i can't find any configuration option to enable it.. anybody know why?
Old 2007-07-01, 11:10   Link #343
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegelward View Post
So, i have previously been using one of the beta versions of perian (1.0b2 specifically) which supported softsubs perfectly, but it appears that in the 1.0 release this functionality isn't working, and i can't find any configuration option to enable it.. anybody know why?
Are you making sure to let the entire MKV load before watching? It seems the subs don't all load in as the video does, but rather the vast majority come in at the end.
Old 2007-07-04, 21:06   Link #344
taelrak

A couple of questions, iamtetsuo,

1. Do we really need X11? I actually forgot to install it here but mplayer seems to be working fine.

2. Would it be possible for you to consolidate your dl links somewhere in your original post (like near the bottom maybe) with date stamps or version numbers so we can tell when they've been updated?

Thanks!
Old 2007-07-04, 21:17   Link #345
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ taelrak

Yes, you really do need X11 to use MPlayer - at least, the version that Nonezumi & I built. It's possible you installed it on your system when you installed MacOSX, or that it now comes preinstalledd - but if you don't already have it, then you do need it.

To see if you do have X11 installed, go to your utilities folder and see if X11.app is present. If it is, yes, you have X11 installed.

-Andiyar
Old 2007-07-04, 22:57   Link #346
taelrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiyar View Post
@ taelrak

Yes, you really do need X11 to use MPlayer - at least, the version that Nonezumi & I built. It's possible you installed it on your system when you installed MacOSX, or that it now comes preinstalledd - but if you don't already have it, then you do need it.

To see if you do have X11 installed, go to your utilities folder and see if X11.app is present. If it is, yes, you have X11 installed.

-Andiyar
Hrm, I am using your build, and I definitely didn't install it myself...I kept the option for it unchecked during OSX installation, didn't manually install it since, and it's not in my Utility or Apps folder. It seems to work fine without though. Does it matter that I'm using an intel?

Anyways, I'm certainly not complaining. Love the program. Thanks a lot!
Old 2007-07-06, 03:06   Link #347
Nonezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by taelrak View Post
Hrm, I am using your build, and I definitely didn't install it myself...I kept the option for it unchecked during OSX installation, didn't manually install it since, and it's not in my Utility or Apps folder. It seems to work fine without though. Does it matter that I'm using an intel?

Anyways, I'm certainly not complaining. Love the program. Thanks a lot!
I built the Intel build with X11 support as well, so it's a little surprising that you claim X11 is not installed but still working, especially since there are library dependencies there
Old 2007-07-06, 17:36   Link #348
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I actally don't have an X11.app in my utilities folder, either (unless it's hidden somehow). When I tried to download X11 from Apple's website, it seems that it's preinstalled with OSX 10.4.x anyway, so I don't believe I bothered to go through with the install. Aside from the weird issues with mplayer that I've griped about here, I've had no problems.

OS X 10.4.9 (now 10.4.10), Core 2 Duo, ATI Radeon XT1600.
Old 2007-07-07, 15:48   Link #349
bb10

Installed the nonezumi and andiyar build on OSX but videofiles with mp3 audio don't play right. The video is fine but the audio plays 1000 times faster :P

how can i fix this?

EDIT:
log: http://paste.animeneko.net/497
Old 2007-07-08, 08:27   Link #350
Nonezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb10 View Post
Installed the nonezumi and andiyar build on OSX but videofiles with mp3 audio don't play right. The video is fine but the audio plays 1000 times faster :P

how can i fix this?

EDIT:
log: http://paste.animeneko.net/497
Usual problem - you've not got your additional parameters correct for an Intel-based Mac. Put

-ass -embeddedfonts -fontconfig -ac mad,

into it (as mentioned in the first post on this thread) and MP3 audio will run fine.

I'll have a version out soon which doesn't require this parameter soon.
Old 2007-07-08, 16:26   Link #351
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Perian 1.0 component out of beta. Works like a charm with everything I've tested so far (RxJ, since that's the only anime I'm watching). Goodbye mplayer.
Old 2007-07-09, 10:58   Link #352
ichobi

Perian is a bless but can be pretty annoying since it has to load .mkv video till it completes to be able to watch properly and that still takes a good amount of time on Core2 1.8Ghz + 2gb Ram macbook. Still i also has the usual problem where i put the extra code and got Playback error message like everyone else for any given .mkv files.
Old 2007-07-09, 11:53   Link #353
taelrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichobi View Post
Perian is a bless but can be pretty annoying since it has to load .mkv video till it completes to be able to watch properly and that still takes a good amount of time on Core2 1.8Ghz + 2gb Ram macbook. Still i also has the usual problem where i put the extra code and got Playback error message like everyone else for any given .mkv files.
Tell me about it. I have one of the new Macbook Pros fully loaded and it still took me 15 min to load a mkv file once....and everything was starting to heat up by the end of it so much that my fans turned on.

Quicktime is really a horrible player too - no full-screen unless you pay for Pro, and it doesn't override screensavers either.

Unfortunately, perian was my only option for that file because mplayer couldn't play it fast enough (was getting choppy and audio started getting unpaired with the screen in high-action parts), and VLC wouldnt' do the softsubs
Old 2007-07-09, 12:44   Link #354
Mr VacBob
yotsuba channel

Send a message via AIM to Mr VacBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by taelrak View Post
Tell me about it. I have one of the new Macbook Pros fully loaded and it still took me 15 min to load a mkv file once....and everything was starting to heat up by the end of it so much that my fans turned on.
Unfortunately there's no documentation on the bit of QT (base media handlers) we need to override to change that...

I hear other versions of the OS that may or may not exist have fullscreen. For now we recommend Niceplayer:
http://niceplayer.sourceforge.net/
Old 2007-07-09, 18:00   Link #355
taelrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr VacBob View Post
Unfortunately there's no documentation on the bit of QT (base media handlers) we need to override to change that...

I hear other versions of the OS that may or may not exist have fullscreen. For now we recommend Niceplayer:
http://niceplayer.sourceforge.net/
Doh, I'd completely forgotten that Perian worked with other players.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 2007-07-09, 20:30   Link #356
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Also, in Leopard fullscreen will come with QT Standard, no need to buy Pro. And, I'll take a little load-time over "fucking about with mplayer" (due respect to Andiyar and Nonezumi, of course).
Old 2007-07-09, 21:23   Link #357
taelrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonezumi View Post
I built the Intel build with X11 support as well, so it's a little surprising that you claim X11 is not installed but still working, especially since there are library dependencies there
Yea you're right. I tried to install X11 and it told me I had newer software already installed.

It's odd though, I specifically made sure X11 was not included when I reformatted and reinstalled OSX, and I know I didn't manually install it. It doesn't show up anywhere that I can find in my Utilities folder either.

Oh well.
Old 2007-07-10, 12:31   Link #358
Nonezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by killmoms View Post
Also, in Leopard fullscreen will come with QT Standard, no need to buy Pro. And, I'll take a little load-time over "fucking about with mplayer" (due respect to Andiyar and Nonezumi, of course).
That's the trouble with a lot of Open Source projects though, especially when working on a system which was never quite the major consideration (Linux, Windows, THEN OS X). Still maintain that the front-end is the cause of a lot of people's woes now.

Enjoy Perian - it's damn handy!
Old 2007-07-10, 18:35   Link #359
Idgit

First off I want thank andiyar and Nonezumi for their hard work on their version of mplayer. MKV files play just fine on my new intel macbook pro, subtitles render correctly and everything. The problem I'm having is playing avi files on this version of mplayer, I believe i'm having the same problems as Ledgem. The avi files start playing and i get a green screen and then mplayer crashes. In the additional parameters i have

-sid 0 -ass-font-scale 1.25 -ass -embeddedfonts -fontconfig -ac mad,

This setup works fine with MKV files. However i found that just having -ac mad,
and getting rid of the rest allows me to play avi files just fine. I'm happy just to have mplayer working the way i want, but it is kind of annoying having to change between the two parameters so any help to fix this would be nice.
Old 2007-07-11, 04:34   Link #360
kheleos

Help guys

I did everything that was said I should to in the first post, but all i get when opening a mkv file is a short green screen then i get an error (sound is there) with out the said arameters mplayer works, just without subtitles

folowing s the error log, maybe someone of you knows what that stuff means

Spoiler for error log:

and sry if thi was already, I didnt have the nerves to read trough 12 pages

edit

Next problem, seems just has problems wit certain mkv files xX;;
but, other mkv open well but i CANT change subs, i cant even load them in some, and in those where i can load it i dont see the japanese kanji and co in the intros *just does nasty squares*

next edit
i keep hitting v and b but its completly random if it shows subs or not

and it has problems wit everything that is *.avi ;___;

Last edited by kheleos; 2007-07-11 at 04:44.

Tags
fansubs, mac, wiki candidate